mlb: nl vs al pitching discrepancies

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:00 pm
everyone thought cc sabathia pitched a miracle stretch last year when he came over to the nl....now he went back to the al and hes back to being regular good...cliff lee came over to the nl and suddenly became sabathia 2.0...john smoltz has found new success here...brad penny had a great first start...theres 10 pitchers with sub 3.00 era's in the nl compared to 2 or 3 in the al

is pitching really that much easier in the nl? considering the era discrepancies between the two leagues, both felix hernandez and greinke have probably pitched better than tim lincecum and the other top nl aces
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:19 pm
TruE SExy wrote:everyone thought cc sabathia pitched a miracle stretch last year when he came over to the nl....now he went back to the al and hes back to being regular good...cliff lee came over to the nl and suddenly became sabathia 2.0...john smoltz has found new success here...brad penny had a great first start...theres 10 pitchers with sub 3.00 era's in the nl compared to 2 or 3 in the al

is pitching really that much easier in the nl? considering the era discrepancies between the two leagues, both felix hernandez and greinke have probably pitched better than tim lincecum and the other top nl aces

Well, an AL lineup doesn't really end. That's why you can load a lineup up. In the national league, you can get into some trouble but you have the pitcher's spot to look forward too. Also, in the National league, you can't have a guy that can hit only in the field. Those guys go to the AL to DH, so in the NL you sometimes sacrifice some offense for defense. It's not always that cut and dry though. Sometimes people aren't comfortable in certain situations. Cliff Lee was really good last year too, he won the CY Young. When it comes to C.C. i think it's more about pitching for the Yankees. I think he doesn't have to concentrate as much because of that offense.

There could be a number of reasons for how changing leauges affects pitchers. An AL guy comes over against NL hitters who are unfamiliar with them, and an AL pitcher typically will throw more offspeed pitches. An NL guy uses more fastballs because of the less dangerous lineups and they might get lit up in the AL. I think all this stuff plays a role.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:33 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:
TruE SExy wrote:everyone thought cc sabathia pitched a miracle stretch last year when he came over to the nl....now he went back to the al and hes back to being regular good...cliff lee came over to the nl and suddenly became sabathia 2.0...john smoltz has found new success here...brad penny had a great first start...theres 10 pitchers with sub 3.00 era's in the nl compared to 2 or 3 in the al

Well, an AL lineup doesn't really end. That's why you can load a lineup up. In the national league, you can get into some trouble but you have the pitcher's spot to look forward too. Also, in the National league, you can't have a guy that can hit only in the field. Those guys go to the AL to DH, so in the NL you sometimes sacrifice some offense for defense. It's not always that cut and dry though. Sometimes people aren't comfortable in certain situations. Cliff Lee was really good last year too, he won the CY Young. When it comes to C.C. i think it's more about pitching for the Yankees. I think he doesn't have to concentrate as much because of that offense.

There could be a number of reasons for how changing leauges affects pitchers. An AL guy comes over against NL hitters who are unfamiliar with them, and an AL pitcher typically will throw more offspeed pitches. An NL guy uses more fastballs because of the less dangerous lineups and they might get lit up in the AL. I think all this stuff plays a role.

Good shot Rob, I was thinking about how to answer that question....and you posted word for word what I was going to write.

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:21 pm
good points and i agree

my main point was that, i think greinke's era is more impressive than both carpenter's and tim's, b/c hes doing it in a league where the average era is much higher, and batters in general hit at a higher standard

greinke's not getting the recognition he deserves
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:14 am
TruE SExy wrote:good points and i agree

my main point was that, i think greinke's era is more impressive than both carpenter's and tim's, b/c hes doing it in a league where the average era is much higher, and batters in general hit at a higher standard

greinke's not getting the recognition he deserves

Greinke isn't getting the recognition because he plays for the Royals, and that also makes his win total lower than it should be

Return to Sports Board