Religion Debate

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Do you believe in any God

Atheist
4
36%
Christian, Muslim, etc...
5
45%
Deist
0
No votes
Agnostic
2
18%
 
Total votes : 11

User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2869
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:04 am
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:41 pm
what about golden state warriorism?
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:46 pm
first off wrote:what about golden state warriorism?


Well, it's hard to believe in a religion that has a leader who completely focuses on making money instead of winning championships.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:30 pm
xbay wrote:
first off wrote:what about golden state warriorism?


Well, it's hard to believe in a religion that has a leader who completely focuses on making money instead of winning championships.


Well, that's pretty wide. Not only Golden State Warriorism fits that description. :wink:
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3244
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:26 am
HiddenCounter wrote:I doubt people are that overly sensitive and start flinging ****. I think everyone can have a civilized debate without acting like a fuckwit.



you're clearly new here

Rookie
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:42 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:25 pm
Immortality would be a curse, sure it would be good for the first million years, but what about the trillion after that and etc. It would rob you of self purpose.

I see no proof. Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof.



More people have been killed under the name of god more so than any other. used to be deist, but I just don't see it as a feasible reason.


Religion is based off of man's greed.
Fighting liberals one post at a time.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:28 pm
HiddenCounter wrote:Religion is based off of man's greed.


And uhh.... so are a lot of other aspects in life. :roll:
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2869
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:04 am
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 pm
TMC wrote:
xbay wrote:
first off wrote:what about golden state warriorism?


Well, it's hard to believe in a religion that has a leader who completely focuses on making money instead of winning championships.


Well, that's pretty wide. Not only Golden State Warriorism fits that description. :wink:



Kinda sounds like scientology minus the "championship" talk.
Don Nelson
Image
L Ron Hubbard
Image

Similar?
I'm not trying to say anything, I'm jus saying...

BBC Inside Scientology (more invasive than than the more current BBC John Sweeny panorama special)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPW3YC24AVA[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIFDdW3trUA[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZUhxCOHDfM&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Gj2KAztWw&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrjcVQB-3Z0&feature=related[/youtube]
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk

Rookie
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:42 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:25 pm
xbay wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:Religion is based off of man's greed.


And uhh.... so are a lot of other aspects in life. :roll:



It would be also due to the fact they don't want to admit they just disappear. Knowing nothing happens. I tend to contemplate this. I am not denying a God, but if there is one it is not how any religion describes him. He gives you free will but if you disobey him you burn in hell. Well at least your soul.

What if a Christian converted to Muslim a day before he died, would he go to hell. Which means his soul would be punished for his intellect. What if the soul and intellect intertwined? If you where to damage your brain, does that mean your soul is damaged and if they're not connected then why should your should be punished for what your intellect does?
Fighting liberals one post at a time.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:31 pm
HiddenCounter wrote:
xbay wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:Religion is based off of man's greed.


And uhh.... so are a lot of other aspects in life. :roll:



It would be also due to the fact they don't want to admit they just disappear. Knowing nothing happens. I tend to contemplate this. I am not denying a God, but if there is one it is not how any religion describes him. He gives you free will but if you disobey him you burn in hell. Well at least your soul.

What if a Christian converted to Muslim a day before he died, would he go to hell. Which means his soul would be punished for his intellect. What if the soul and intellect intertwined? If you where to damage your brain, does that mean your soul is damaged and if they're not connected then why should your should be punished for what your intellect does?


You have it twisted. You base this off of the basics you hear from Christianity. You say we burn in hell if we disobey him, yet you forget my God is a forgiving one. As long as you repent, he will forgive. This is where Jesus comes in. The scripture says He died for our sins. The way it works when you die, on the 40th day since your death, your soul goes to Heaven. But to get there, we do these prayers to God for the soul to make it there because in my faith, prayer is a real significant part. If no one prays for you, you would most likely be stuck in what they call purgatory 'til whenever.

If a Christian converted to Muslim, it'd be an entire different story. He renounced his faith and converted to a new one. Both religions come from the same base, but they're entirely different with how they work and are run. Some beliefs are somewhat similar, but most of them are entirely different.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:12 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:16 am
xbay wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:
xbay wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:Religion is based off of man's greed.


And uhh.... so are a lot of other aspects in life. :roll:



It would be also due to the fact they don't want to admit they just disappear. Knowing nothing happens. I tend to contemplate this. I am not denying a God, but if there is one it is not how any religion describes him. He gives you free will but if you disobey him you burn in hell. Well at least your soul.

What if a Christian converted to Muslim a day before he died, would he go to hell. Which means his soul would be punished for his intellect. What if the soul and intellect intertwined? If you where to damage your brain, does that mean your soul is damaged and if they're not connected then why should your should be punished for what your intellect does?


You have it twisted. You base this off of the basics you hear from Christianity. You say we burn in hell if we disobey him, yet you forget my God is a forgiving one. As long as you repent, he will forgive. This is where Jesus comes in. The scripture says He died for our sins. The way it works when you die, on the 40th day since your death, your soul goes to Heaven. But to get there, we do these prayers to God for the soul to make it there because in my faith, prayer is a real significant part. If no one prays for you, you would most likely be stuck in what they call purgatory 'til whenever.

If a Christian converted to Muslim, it'd be an entire different story. He renounced his faith and converted to a new one. Both religions come from the same base, but they're entirely different with how they work and are run. Some beliefs are somewhat similar, but most of them are entirely different.


Xbay I assume your Christian? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I googled some stats and Christians make up roughfly about 1/3 of the world population. That btw is the predominant religion in front of Islam and Hinduism.

I asume that most religons believe in one god. ??

Now my take is that if one god exists (which ever that may be) a majority of the world population is wrong and therefore acording to most scriptures supposedly doomed to hell.

It just seems that if God is a forgiving one whats happens to the majority of humans that don't believe in him. Did Jesus die for only 1/3 of us.

P.S. I mean no offence, just interested in your take.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21366
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:40 am
MurinuR wrote:
xbay wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:
xbay wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:Religion is based off of man's greed.


And uhh.... so are a lot of other aspects in life. :roll:



It would be also due to the fact they don't want to admit they just disappear. Knowing nothing happens. I tend to contemplate this. I am not denying a God, but if there is one it is not how any religion describes him. He gives you free will but if you disobey him you burn in hell. Well at least your soul.

What if a Christian converted to Muslim a day before he died, would he go to hell. Which means his soul would be punished for his intellect. What if the soul and intellect intertwined? If you where to damage your brain, does that mean your soul is damaged and if they're not connected then why should your should be punished for what your intellect does?


You have it twisted. You base this off of the basics you hear from Christianity. You say we burn in hell if we disobey him, yet you forget my God is a forgiving one. As long as you repent, he will forgive. This is where Jesus comes in. The scripture says He died for our sins. The way it works when you die, on the 40th day since your death, your soul goes to Heaven. But to get there, we do these prayers to God for the soul to make it there because in my faith, prayer is a real significant part. If no one prays for you, you would most likely be stuck in what they call purgatory 'til whenever.

If a Christian converted to Muslim, it'd be an entire different story. He renounced his faith and converted to a new one. Both religions come from the same base, but they're entirely different with how they work and are run. Some beliefs are somewhat similar, but most of them are entirely different.


Xbay I assume your Christian? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I googled some stats and Christians make up roughfly about 1/3 of the world population. That btw is the predominant religion in front of Islam and Hinduism.

I asume that most religons believe in one god. ??

Now my take is that if one god exists (which ever that may be) a majority of the world population is wrong and therefore acording to most scriptures supposedly doomed to hell.

It just seems that if God is a forgiving one whats happens to the majority of humans that don't believe in him. Did Jesus die for only 1/3 of us.

P.S. I mean no offence, just interested in your take.



Here's something to think about; From death comes life? Sounds like nonsense. I find it stupid how some christians go on about occult religions believing in sacrifices to get more life and a better life, yet the whole thing of Jesus dying for everyone to live is the main focus of their beliefs
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:41 pm
MurinuR wrote:
xbay wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:
xbay wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:Religion is based off of man's greed.


And uhh.... so are a lot of other aspects in life. :roll:



It would be also due to the fact they don't want to admit they just disappear. Knowing nothing happens. I tend to contemplate this. I am not denying a God, but if there is one it is not how any religion describes him. He gives you free will but if you disobey him you burn in hell. Well at least your soul.

What if a Christian converted to Muslim a day before he died, would he go to hell. Which means his soul would be punished for his intellect. What if the soul and intellect intertwined? If you where to damage your brain, does that mean your soul is damaged and if they're not connected then why should your should be punished for what your intellect does?


You have it twisted. You base this off of the basics you hear from Christianity. You say we burn in hell if we disobey him, yet you forget my God is a forgiving one. As long as you repent, he will forgive. This is where Jesus comes in. The scripture says He died for our sins. The way it works when you die, on the 40th day since your death, your soul goes to Heaven. But to get there, we do these prayers to God for the soul to make it there because in my faith, prayer is a real significant part. If no one prays for you, you would most likely be stuck in what they call purgatory 'til whenever.

If a Christian converted to Muslim, it'd be an entire different story. He renounced his faith and converted to a new one. Both religions come from the same base, but they're entirely different with how they work and are run. Some beliefs are somewhat similar, but most of them are entirely different.


Xbay I assume your Christian? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I googled some stats and Christians make up roughfly about 1/3 of the world population. That btw is the predominant religion in front of Islam and Hinduism.

I asume that most religons believe in one god. ??

Now my take is that if one god exists (which ever that may be) a majority of the world population is wrong and therefore acording to most scriptures supposedly doomed to hell.

It just seems that if God is a forgiving one whats happens to the majority of humans that don't believe in him. Did Jesus die for only 1/3 of us.

P.S. I mean no offence, just interested in your take.


I'm actually Catholic, which is very similar to Christianity, but the Christian faith is a slight different than the Catholic faith. Hence why they call it, Christian-Catholic.

We all believe in one God, because like I said, we're all from the same base of religion. But Islam believes in a different God than Catholics do. Our faiths are monotheist... we only believe in one God. I'm not sure what Islam has, but I do know it consists of Muhammed and Allah or something like that. Even Judiasm is different because while they believe in God, they believe that Jesus will return one day and become the Messiah. So there may be one God for all faiths, but they have totally different beliefs than each other. One contradicts the other and so forth.

My take on your last sentence is basically whatever you want to believe. When I would ask that question to a more religious person than me, their answer would most likely be, "It doesn't matter. He died for every one." I wish I could defend that statement, but I really can't.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Role Player
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:12 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:40 pm
I wish I could defend that statement, but I really can't.


Thats a typically religious answer :)

We all believe in one God, .......... we only believe in one God.


My question is, what happens to the other 66% of the world that "dosen't" believe in your god?

For instance a young muslum child has been taught to believe in Allah and hasn't been exposed to any alternative beliefs/options.

We can obviously agree that any child is innocent.

If a Muslum child dies prematurely what is his/her fate?

Moderator
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:44 pm
xbay wrote:
MurinuR wrote:
xbay wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:
xbay wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:Religion is based off of man's greed.


And uhh.... so are a lot of other aspects in life. :roll:



It would be also due to the fact they don't want to admit they just disappear. Knowing nothing happens. I tend to contemplate this. I am not denying a God, but if there is one it is not how any religion describes him. He gives you free will but if you disobey him you burn in hell. Well at least your soul.

What if a Christian converted to Muslim a day before he died, would he go to hell. Which means his soul would be punished for his intellect. What if the soul and intellect intertwined? If you where to damage your brain, does that mean your soul is damaged and if they're not connected then why should your should be punished for what your intellect does?


You have it twisted. You base this off of the basics you hear from Christianity. You say we burn in hell if we disobey him, yet you forget my God is a forgiving one. As long as you repent, he will forgive. This is where Jesus comes in. The scripture says He died for our sins. The way it works when you die, on the 40th day since your death, your soul goes to Heaven. But to get there, we do these prayers to God for the soul to make it there because in my faith, prayer is a real significant part. If no one prays for you, you would most likely be stuck in what they call purgatory 'til whenever.

If a Christian converted to Muslim, it'd be an entire different story. He renounced his faith and converted to a new one. Both religions come from the same base, but they're entirely different with how they work and are run. Some beliefs are somewhat similar, but most of them are entirely different.


Xbay I assume your Christian? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I googled some stats and Christians make up roughfly about 1/3 of the world population. That btw is the predominant religion in front of Islam and Hinduism.

I asume that most religons believe in one god. ??

Now my take is that if one god exists (which ever that may be) a majority of the world population is wrong and therefore acording to most scriptures supposedly doomed to hell.

It just seems that if God is a forgiving one whats happens to the majority of humans that don't believe in him. Did Jesus die for only 1/3 of us.

P.S. I mean no offence, just interested in your take.


I'm actually Catholic, which is very similar to Christianity, but the Christian faith is a slight different than the Catholic faith. Hence why they call it, Christian-Catholic.

We all believe in one God, because like I said, we're all from the same base of religion. But Islam believes in a different God than Catholics do. Our faiths are monotheist... we only believe in one God. I'm not sure what Islam has, but I do know it consists of Muhammed and Allah or something like that. Even Judiasm is different because while they believe in God, they believe that Jesus will return one day and become the Messiah. So there may be one God for all faiths, but they have totally different beliefs than each other. One contradicts the other and so forth.

My take on your last sentence is basically whatever you want to believe. When I would ask that question to a more religious person than me, their answer would most likely be, "It doesn't matter. He died for every one." I wish I could defend that statement, but I really can't.


you are mostly right, xbay... the thing to remember in a nutshell is that Christians, Jews, and Muslims all believe in one god... THE SAME GOD. The key differences deal with the prophets. Jews believe the messiah has not arrived yet, and will come soon (very loosely word), Christians believe that messiah (prophet) is Jesus Christ, and Muslims believe that person is Muhammed. Allah is not a prophet, it is the name for god in the Islam religion.

please, if i am wrong let me know, but i have taken multiple courses in religious studies, and this is what i can recall from this.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2334
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:59 pm
xbay wrote:
MurinuR wrote:
xbay wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:
xbay wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:Religion is based off of man's greed.


And uhh.... so are a lot of other aspects in life. :roll:



It would be also due to the fact they don't want to admit they just disappear. Knowing nothing happens. I tend to contemplate this. I am not denying a God, but if there is one it is not how any religion describes him. He gives you free will but if you disobey him you burn in hell. Well at least your soul.

What if a Christian converted to Muslim a day before he died, would he go to hell. Which means his soul would be punished for his intellect. What if the soul and intellect intertwined? If you where to damage your brain, does that mean your soul is damaged and if they're not connected then why should your should be punished for what your intellect does?


You have it twisted. You base this off of the basics you hear from Christianity. You say we burn in hell if we disobey him, yet you forget my God is a forgiving one. As long as you repent, he will forgive. This is where Jesus comes in. The scripture says He died for our sins. The way it works when you die, on the 40th day since your death, your soul goes to Heaven. But to get there, we do these prayers to God for the soul to make it there because in my faith, prayer is a real significant part. If no one prays for you, you would most likely be stuck in what they call purgatory 'til whenever.

If a Christian converted to Muslim, it'd be an entire different story. He renounced his faith and converted to a new one. Both religions come from the same base, but they're entirely different with how they work and are run. Some beliefs are somewhat similar, but most of them are entirely different.


Xbay I assume your Christian? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I googled some stats and Christians make up roughfly about 1/3 of the world population. That btw is the predominant religion in front of Islam and Hinduism.

I asume that most religons believe in one god. ??

Now my take is that if one god exists (which ever that may be) a majority of the world population is wrong and therefore acording to most scriptures supposedly doomed to hell.

It just seems that if God is a forgiving one whats happens to the majority of humans that don't believe in him. Did Jesus die for only 1/3 of us.

P.S. I mean no offence, just interested in your take.


I'm actually Catholic, which is very similar to Christianity, but the Christian faith is a slight different than the Catholic faith. Hence why they call it, Christian-Catholic.

We all believe in one God, because like I said, we're all from the same base of religion. But Islam believes in a different God than Catholics do. Our faiths are monotheist... we only believe in one God. I'm not sure what Islam has, but I do know it consists of Muhammed and Allah or something like that. Even Judiasm is different because while they believe in God, they believe that Jesus will return one day and become the Messiah. So there may be one God for all faiths, but they have totally different beliefs than each other. One contradicts the other and so forth.

My take on your last sentence is basically whatever you want to believe. When I would ask that question to a more religious person than me, their answer would most likely be, "It doesn't matter. He died for every one." I wish I could defend that statement, but I really can't.


A lot of that is actually incorrect. Catholicism IS Christianity, which entails belief in Christ as the son of God. Catholics are a different form of Christians from Baptists, Lutherans, etc. however they are ALL Christian because they believe Jesus Christ is the Messiah. Judaism is not considered a christian religion precisely because they do NOT believe Jesus is the messiah.

Judaism is one of the oldest monotheistic religions and both Christianity and Islam were severely influenced by it (Christianity actually follows the same text, the old testament and Islam carries the same Abrahamic roots). They split from Christians when it comes to the true nature of Jesus Christ and Judaism does not include Jesus as the son of God.

Islam is based on the same beliefs as Judaism, and they believe in the same God as both Jews and Christians. The term Allah means God in Arabic. Islam splits from Christianity on their belief in Muhammad as the final prophet of Allah instead of Jesus.

Christianity was formed originally as a Jewish sect, and as the name implies is focused on Jesus Christ as the son of God and the Messiah and is the only religion that does so. There are many variations of the Christian church including Catholicism.

Those are VERY simplified versions of the three. They have all obviously evolved over time and all include multiple denominations.
Image
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest