MOVIE REVIEWS

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:58 am
I saw that clip last week, hilarious!! seth goes in for the kiss and she disses him.. you can see him shake his head like 'yeah, that's what I thought'
lol

re: funny people

I liked the storyline: guy who has "made it", has everything, but isn't really happy, finds out he has an incurable illness, befriends young struggling comedian, tries to repair an old mistake, etc... the topic was interesting to me, the dramatic acting for a couple of comedians was pretty good, but their chemistry and comedic timing were excellent together. Not a lot of "ha ha's" but tons of nervous laughter...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:27 am
Jackattack wrote:I saw that clip last week, hilarious!! seth goes in for the kiss and she disses him.. you can see him shake his head like 'yeah, that's what I thought'
lol

re: funny people

I liked the storyline: guy who has "made it", has everything, but isn't really happy, finds out he has an incurable illness, befriends young struggling comedian, tries to repair an old mistake, etc... the topic was interesting to me, the dramatic acting for a couple of comedians was pretty good, but their chemistry and comedic timing were excellent together. Not a lot of "ha ha's" but tons of nervous laughter...

Exactly!
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:27 pm
District 9 is an AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sci-fi movie

Don't know if it surpasses it, but it definitely on par with the original matrix. it's definitely a conversation which is better. 1st movie in a while that I've seen in theatres, it was SOOOOO WORTH IT! The best part is, like the original matrix, the graphics are sensational but they aren't driving the film, they are enhancing it. great acting, action sequences, direction, and script - then on top of that the CGI is candy for the eyes. I might even see it again in theatres it was that good.

Don't want to give anything away, there lots of little twists, but the script is fantastic. coming from a guy that dumps on a lot of movies (and doesn't even like sci fi all that much) - it was awesome.

top Sci-Fi movies of all time (un-ordered) IMHO:
- Star Wars ep 4 and 5
- District 9
- The Matrix
- Terminator 2
- Aliens

have I mentioned it's awesome? it's awesome. go see it. 6 out of 5 stars
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:35 pm
first off wrote:District 9 is an AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sci-fi movie

Don't know if it surpasses it, but it definitely on par with the original matrix. it's definitely a conversation which is better. 1st movie in a while that I've seen in theatres, it was SOOOOO WORTH IT!
The graphics are amazing! and the best part is, like the original matrix, the graphics are sensational but they aren't driving the film they are enhancing it. unlike transformers (or any other Micheal Bay movie for that matter) they aren't the whole movie. I might even see it again in theatres it was that good.

Don't want to give anything away, there lots of little twists, but the script is fantastic. coming from a guy that dumps on a lot of movies (and doesn't even like sci fi all that much) - it was awesome.

- Star Wars ep 4 and 5
- District 9
- The Matrix
- Terminator 2
- Aliens

have I mentioned it's awesome? it's awesome.

i agree... i just saw this today, and it was great. the story, actors, effects were all brilliantly done. and to hear that it is a reletively low budgeted movie, (30 mill or an action/sci- fi movie in 2009, and be this good is amazing )

best movie of the year so far. Its already one of my favorite films and will definitely be watching it again.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:52 am
Yeah, it was. I saw it last week. Peter Jackson did a great job at helping it out. For being low-budget, the storyline was awesome. The actions scenes were creative and neat. Loved it.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:59 am
Sorry people I have to respectfuly disagree.

The Matrix when it was released revolved around a truely mind bending concept.

District 9 on the other hand was rubbish and painful to watch. One of the first times I've been tempted to walk out of the theatre.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:12 pm
MurinuR wrote:Sorry people I have to respectfuly disagree.

The Matrix when it was released revolved around a truely mind bending concept.

District 9 on the other hand was rubbish and painful to watch. One of the first times I've been tempted to walk out of the theatre.

thats fine man, people like different things...what did you not like about it?
Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:11 pm
Well what could have been an interesting and intelligent movie..... in the end turns out to be a dumb action flick. Unbelievable and full of holes.

I just wish I had checked IMDb before seeing it. Plenty of reviews on there exposing this sham.

And a completly different movie than advertised. I seriously felt ripped off.

As a teli movie it could maybe have been passable but a feature film where I spend my hard earned. Sham.

Peace, :)
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:09 pm
xbay wrote:
CjR wrote:One thing we all agree on is Megan Fox: simply the epitome of gorgeousness, bar none.

No question about it. I don't question her beauty, but to be honest, it's truly amazing how great our technology has become to be able to make her look THAT gorgeous.

You lost me here, X-bay. What technology, specifically? If you say it’s technology that’s making her look THAT gorgeous, then every girl on the screen would be at or close to her level.
Last edited by CjR on Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:16 pm
first off wrote:District 9 is an AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE sci-fi movie

Don't know if it surpasses it, but it definitely on par with the original matrix. it's definitely a conversation which is better. 1st movie in a while that I've seen in theatres, it was SOOOOO WORTH IT! The best part is, like the original matrix, the graphics are sensational but they aren't driving the film, they are enhancing it. great acting, action sequences, direction, and script - then on top of that the CGI is candy for the eyes. I might even see it again in theatres it was that good.

- Star Wars ep 4 and 5
- District 9
- The Matrix
- Terminator 2
- Aliens

Haven’t seen the movie, but from what I’ve seen on the trailer and reviews it seems so-so. Have to see it for myself. The reviews either loved it or hated it.
The Matrix is pretty damn hard to top for Sci-Fi, even Terminators 2 and Aliens. Another low profile Sci-Fi movie I thought was very entertaining was the Chronicles of Riddick.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:29 pm
Slight spoilers... nothing is giving away, but someone might think it is... so i am warning you

you do know that it District 9 got 90% rating on rotten tomatoes, and is in the top ranking movies in imdb... so there much more fans out there than haters. both by critics and regular joes

i still want to know what plot holes people are talking about. people make some accusations on imdb, thinking they discovered a flaw and are immediately shot down with facts.

the movie used the documentary style early on brilliantly, and went more conventional. it shows that everyone can make questionable decisions and no one is perfect.

it addresses numerous political issues, including private armies (mercenaries for hire by countries) and relations with other races (or in this case, aliens). I love the setting in Africa, especially South Africa, where there is such great diversity in the country. there are several races, cultures, and outlandish thinking that dates back hundreds of years. the popularity of voo-doo and the spirits is still very much active in Africa today, and the film shows this when it showed the Nigerians.

I can get how people might not like this movie cuz they expected something else, but through a filmographic standpoint it is well done.

I dont get how this can be a "dumb action flick". makes no sense. there is plenty of historical and political aspects from the past and presense, and even touching up on what could happen in our future. As a Social Scientist (my official title after getting a BA in the fields of history, economics and govt), i think the movie does a great job in all this.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:34 pm
Anybody see Inglorious Basterds yet? I'm dyin to see that one.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:27 am
CjR wrote:

- Star Wars ep 4 and 5
- District 9
- The Matrix
- Terminator 2
- Aliens

Haven’t seen the movie, but from what I’ve seen on the trailer and reviews it seems so-so. Have to see it for myself. The reviews either loved it or hated it.
The Matrix is pretty damn hard to top for Sci-Fi, even Terminators 2 and Aliens. Another low profile Sci-Fi movie I thought was very entertaining was the Chronicles of Riddick.

alright I've come down off "district" 9 (get it ?), and have come to my senses - Matrix was a better film, mainly because of the plot holes the distract me from fully enjoying the film. I've seen the orignial matrix like 6 or 7 times and I can continue to watch it again and again because the writing was solid and it lacks the plot holes of district 9 that make you scratch your head more and more every time you watch it.

I think the reason why some people don't like this film is because they aren't used to / just don't like the way modern documentaries are shot. it's half documentary, half regular action movie, and I honestly loved that aspect, but I can understand if others don't like it. it's nothing like cloverleaf (that NY night time monster movie shot with a hand held camera that came out last year), but I do remember my friend saying he didn't like the shaky camera work in the first 20 mins or so of the film(he still thought it was great though). If your like me and you enjoy shows like the office and other mock-umentaries, you won't even know what people are complaining about.

I will say this is easily the best Sci-fi film I've seen since the matrix, but in thinkin about some of the plot holes (which could be potentially solved by a well written sequel), it can't really surpass it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYCsCBojqt4[/youtube]
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:44 am
I've just watched District 9 the coolest sci fi movie i've seen!!!!
...With love to glitter graphics...
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:05 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:Anybody see Inglorious Basterds yet? I'm dyin to see that one.

gonna check it out this weekend... yeah I heard it's supposed to rock too!
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum