Video Game Thread

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:42 am
I'm bored and on my break at work, so i decided to give a little

MADDEN 10 REVIEW

Gameplay: I'll start with gameplay because that is and always will be the most important feature of any game. I believe EA nailed it with the gameplay this year. It feels like football to me. On offense the running game is great. You can really find a hole and hit it. If, for example, it's 3rd and 3 and you get stopped after 2 yards, there is still the possibility of your back fighting to get the first down. Also, in previous maddens, there was an animation where you tackle a guy at the first down marker and if his momentum was going forward he would for sure get the first down. Now if you have more defenders, the gang tackling can prevent that. NIce feature. Passing is also fun, and the more you know where your receivers are going the better it will be for you. You don't have the time to sit back all day or run around without consequences.

Defense- you need to have a pass rush. You have so much control over adjustments at the line i haven't even got to that yet. But the game seems more realistic in that if you make a mistake, it'll lead to a big play. If you go for the hit stick and miss, you're screwed.

Fight for the fumble- THis mini game is kinda pointless to me so far. It seems so difficult, but i'll see if i get used to it.

Franchise mode: Franchise mode is really fun. Particularly in the offseason. You can import draft classes from NCAA or they'll supply a draft class if you don't. What i like is that you can really find players in the later rounds that end up being rated fairly high for where they were drafted. It makes it more fun to find and develop talent. I've finished one season and started the next, and it's really fun.

Online Franchise: I'm a little disappointed with this mode, because i thought it would be the most exciting feature. I think it would be fun with a full league of teams, but what's missing is great stuff from the online franchise mode. There is no salary cap or trade logic, so you can basically sign anybody anytime and also if trades are on, the computer will accept any trade. To me, the fun part of the franchise is competing against people on the field as well as out maneuvering them in the front office. I guess the only way to do that is through the draft.

Graphics: Of course the visuals of the players are great. They always are, but there are a lot of little things i noticed too. Weather seems to really affect gameplay. I played the NFC championship game in the snow and on my first drop back with shaun hill he slipped and had to recover to make a throw. The weather affects look real nice as do the stadiums. The cut scenes are good for the most part as well, they stepped up the presentation from the previous ones.

There are some parts of the game that aren't so good, like the commentary. One minute collinsworth will talk about the quarterback as one of the most accurate in the league, and later on he'll say how he's not known for his accuracy. They could improve on that and some of the presentation elements that seem to be the same for every game. They should have multiple pregame presentations for different playoff games.

Overall i give it a 9/10. Gameplay is the most important thing and this feels like NFL football to me.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:21 am
[sarcasm mode=on]

What's a video game?

[sarcasm mode=off]
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:33 am
As for PC games, as I don't have a game console and just have PC, will be getting Age of Empires 3 soon, as well as the Caesar 2 to 4 games. The first two Age of Empires are absolutely great, but Caesar 1, which I played over ten years ago, was bland to say the least. The first grand theft auto, which I played over ten years ago as well, was bland also, but have heard the latest ones since then are real good and will download/get them soon also.

Any other good PC games anyone know of

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:49 pm
I've heard Sims 3 got some real good reviews.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:31 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:I'm bored and on my break at work, so i decided to give a little

MADDEN 10 REVIEW
Weather seems to really affect gameplay. I played the NFC championship game in the snow and on my first drop back with shaun hill he slipped and had to recover to make a throw....

Gameplay is the most important thing and this feels like NFL football to me.

hmm, this seems contridictory.... feels like real NFL football but yet Shaun Hill is in the NFC Championship game???? :wink:
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:48 pm
bada wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:I'm bored and on my break at work, so i decided to give a little

MADDEN 10 REVIEW
Weather seems to really affect gameplay. I played the NFC championship game in the snow and on my first drop back with shaun hill he slipped and had to recover to make a throw....

Gameplay is the most important thing and this feels like NFL football to me.

hmm, this seems contridictory.... feels like real NFL football but yet Shaun Hill is in the NFC Championship game???? :wink:

Hahaha, it could happen... trent dilfer won a super bowl remember. :mrgreen: anyway, i drafted a rookie and he's now starting over shaun hill because he started throwing too many picks. It really does feel like football, though one of the reasons I played so well in the playoffs was because Vernon Davis actually lives up to his potential on the game.
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:17 pm
migya wrote:As for PC games, as I don't have a game console and just have PC, will be getting Age of Empires 3 soon, as well as the Caesar 2 to 4 games. The first two Age of Empires are absolutely great, but Caesar 1, which I played over ten years ago, was bland to say the least. The first grand theft auto, which I played over ten years ago as well, was bland also, but have heard the latest ones since then are real good and will download/get them soon also.

I'm also a PC gamer.

Real-time strategy gets old with me real quick, but if thats your thing, try Myth II: Soulblighter (99)

I downloaded this little gem a few weeks back and forgot a how good it is. Well written, great game play, focuses more on the battle elements rather than resource gathering and upgrading etc.

You can grab off a torrent site, about 500mb.

An oldie but a goodie!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:27 pm
MurinuR wrote:
migya wrote:As for PC games, as I don't have a game console and just have PC, will be getting Age of Empires 3 soon, as well as the Caesar 2 to 4 games. The first two Age of Empires are absolutely great, but Caesar 1, which I played over ten years ago, was bland to say the least. The first grand theft auto, which I played over ten years ago as well, was bland also, but have heard the latest ones since then are real good and will download/get them soon also.

I'm also a PC gamer.

I was. Can't help you there, Migya. It's been more than a year since I had the time to play to any game...

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:42 am
I simply don't play at all but want tobegin with something, could you recomend to me game that would be not difficult and connected with basketball :roll:
...With love to glitter graphics...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:42 am
TMC wrote:
MurinuR wrote:

I'm also a PC gamer.

I was. Can't help you there, Migya. It's been more than a year since I had the time to play to any game...

At least not a computer game :wink: :mrgreen:

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:32 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
MurinuR wrote:

I'm also a PC gamer.

Not a gamer at all lately... :wink: :banghead: :mrgreen:
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:41 am
a report recently came out,

apparently the average gamer is 35, over-weight (I think they might of said obese - I forget, heard it on the news) and depressed.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:26 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
MurinuR wrote:

I'm also a PC gamer.

Not a gamer at all lately... :wink: :banghead: :mrgreen:

Sometimes you need a break, as it can all be extreme on the mind as well as the body.:wink:

As for PC games, I've finally decided to play Age of Empires 2, after it has been out for a good decade. I haven't played games for quite a long time, but decided to get back into it a bit. AoE was real good and I mastered that over a decade ago and are quickly getting that way with AoE2. AoE3 came out a couple of years ago and I'll get that soon, good old torrents.

Simcity Societies looks good too and I was into Simcity 3000 a decade or so ago as well. Might get that one, as well as Simcity 4 and see what improvements have been made.

Starcraft 2 is due to be out early next year and that is a game I've been waiting for for years now, as the first one was one of the best games I've ever played. Seen footage of the game play and it is real advanced, worth the wait it seems

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:54 am
JREED Check your PM"S!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:21 am
Wow, anyone hear what they're going to do for MLB 2K10? If you throw a perfect game, you win $1,000,000. Yes, you're reading that right, a million dollars. I don't know what the details are, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to throw it on a Hall of Fame setting and all that stuff.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum