Memphis Tigers to be vacated of wins?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:12 pm
You guys hear about the NCAA vacating the Tigers' 38-win season, their Final Four appearance, and the money they made from the tourney just because they had an ineligible player?... most likely it being Derrick Rose? Basically, the 07-08 season never happened. They never won 38 wins. They never made it to the Final Four. They never made money during the tourney appearance. That season never happened.

What do you guys think about that punishment and situation?
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:47 pm
I think it's a stupid punishment because.... It did happen! it won't be in the books but people know the records and all that. I think the punishment should be applied to those involved including the coach, no matter where that coach lands. That might make either coaches straighten out or adminstrations weary about signing a coach that breaks the rules. The way it is now, you're only punishing the fans of the program.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:33 pm
But how would you punish Derrick Rose, assuming he's the "ineligible player" that they did not name, yet? He's in the NBA now... do you go to Stern to fix that? Lots of obstacles to get through.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:56 pm
xbay wrote:But how would you punish Derrick Rose, assuming he's the "ineligible player" that they did not name, yet? He's in the NBA now... do you go to Stern to fix that? Lots of obstacles to get through.

there two seperate institutions... whatever happened in college in that type of matter (boosters, cheating, etc) doesnt transfer to the NBA. never have and never will. I dont think it should anyway. so no, he wont be punished.

Also, the NBA is the worst league of the 4 major sports in suspensions. Awful. J.R. Smith killed a man drunk driving this year... a couple years earlier crashed his car, killing his passenger... oh, and he is obsess with flashing gang signs (he's done it since his rookie year)... AND he's not getting suspended. Stallworth did kill a person for DUI, who the victim actually threw himself on the vehicle (and stallworth also cooperated with police, the family and looked truly remorseful on the whole ordeal), and he got a year suspended...

so i dont think Rose will have to worry according to whats going on in this league
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:27 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Also, the NBA is the worst league of the 4 major sports in suspensions. Awful. J.R. Smith killed a man drunk driving this year... a couple years earlier crashed his car, killing his passenger... oh, and he is obsess with flashing gang signs (he's done it since his rookie year)... AND he's not getting suspended. Stallworth did kill a person for DUI, who the victim actually threw himself on the vehicle (and stallworth also cooperated with police, the family and looked truly remorseful on the whole ordeal), and he got a year suspended...

I think it's the NFL that has become a joke regarding suspensions. There are laws to deal with those issues. Suspensions should be given in case of... I don't know, violating the substance policy, hitting a fan or something like that. But that's about it. Any punishment for a crime should be done by a judge and according to the law, not by the league.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:49 am
TMC wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Also, the NBA is the worst league of the 4 major sports in suspensions. Awful. J.R. Smith killed a man drunk driving this year... a couple years earlier crashed his car, killing his passenger... oh, and he is obsess with flashing gang signs (he's done it since his rookie year)... AND he's not getting suspended. Stallworth did kill a person for DUI, who the victim actually threw himself on the vehicle (and stallworth also cooperated with police, the family and looked truly remorseful on the whole ordeal), and he got a year suspended...

I think it's the NFL that has become a joke regarding suspensions. There are laws to deal with those issues. Suspensions should be given in case of... I don't know, violating the substance policy, hitting a fan or something like that. But that's about it. Any punishment for a crime should be done by a judge and according to the law, not by the league.

i disagree. They are getting paid big bucks. when you are a professional athlete, not only are you getting paid for your athleticism, but you are being paid as a role model for the city, team, and league you are a part of. If someone gets in trouble, they are tarnishing the reputation of all three of those, thus the league IMO has the right to suspend them.

Professional sports in a privilege, not a right. Goodell in my opinion has done an excellent job. Almost no complaints. His tough policy is making athletes accountable for their actions.

Return to Sports Board