voting/politics thread

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

who are you voting for?

Barack Obama / Joe Biden
67%
John McCain / Sara Palin
9%
other (Bob Barr, Ralph Nader, etc)
3%
I'll decide later
9%
No one. Voting is for jerks
12%

Total votes : 33

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:46 am
If Palin is the Republican representative in 2012, then I will be shocked.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:09 pm
YahooSportsNBA: Gov. Palin opts-out in Alaska, Clippers and Grizz in hot pursuit. Hannity Show offering mid-level.

:mrgreen: ::lol:
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:22 am
your behaviour is offenses
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMUaca8wP9w&NR=1[/youtube]

I can't believe this is news. it's funny as hell to watch, but it's not news.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:17 pm
What say you of these town hall meetings random warrior fans?
Is it racism or is there legitimate concern

I understand that there is a possibility that the public option will eventually become "the only option", but I don't agree that there is a need to be fearful of it.

1) UPS and Fed EX have done fine against the US postal service. there have been several cases where public and private options can coexist peacefully.

2) Our system now is broken. Healthcare is only available to healthy working rich people (and I consider myself a healthy rich person). that is a small chunk of America. it has been well documented that Health care companies actively search for reasons not to pay for sick clients (pre-existing conditions).

3) there are many many many countries that currently have public health care that haven't become communist nations.

4) I haven't checked this personally, but I've heard the money we end up spending helping people without coverage every year, is greater than than the money it would cost to get the public option up and running (aka, it would pay for itself)

or in other words
in response to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fveFCwIAlkk&feature=related
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf5DNKP37KM&feature=related[/youtube]
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:38 pm
12% of North Carolina republicans don't know Hawaii is a state.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:19 pm
first off wrote:12% of North Carolina republicans don't know Hawaii is a state.

haha u saw that on Rachael Maddow too, huh?

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:35 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

You guys have a point here? I see none.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53C2-b8BOLs

See you can do that with any few select people.
Fighting liberals one post at a time.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:58 pm
HiddenCounter wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

You guys have a point here? I see none.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53C2-b8BOLs

See you can do that with any few select people.

Your point is?
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:20 pm
/facepalm

Most liberal media groups try to paint The Republicans as the stupid party.

Instead of trying to fix the problem or talk about the issues they waste time doing an inaccurate survey to once again call the Republican party stupid.

And you guys bite like a vulture who hasn't eaten in three days finding freshly dead meat.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:09 pm
hey since this thread hasn't been relevant in a long time, let me just reiterate an important "rule" of this thread:

Don't let shiit we talk about in here, spill over into other threads. I'm fine if any of you disagree with my political views, but just make sure you bitch at me in this thread and not in others.

Hidden counter, welcome. as you can see by the poll, there are a crap-load of Obama supporters on this site (myself included). just be aware that you probably aren't going to get a whole lot of support for your views here. that said though, it's always nice to have someone with a differing opinion. so again, welcome.

the video you posted is not exactly equivalent. which of these questions is harder: the yes or no question of "is hawaii a state?"; or....

-Which party controls congress?
-Who is Harry Reed?
-Who is Barney Frank?
-Who quit a previous campaign because of plagiarism
-Who won his first election by getting opponents kicked off the ballot
-Who said his policies would likely bankrupt the coal industry and make energy rates skyrocket
-Who started his political career at the home of two former members of the Weather Underground

You are missing the point of this conservative Zogby poll. it's not TRYING TO PROVE that liberals or repubs are dumb (none of these ? would really be considered common knowledge), it's "proving" that the NEWS puts out more info hurting repubs then dems.

the stereotype of Repubs being dumb mainly comes from the fact that people with post-graduate degrees tend to vote democrat.

also, I'm sorry, but that whole "birther" debate is stupid if you ask me. anyone that believes that both Clinton and McCain would some how overlook something like this in there campaign against obama - and that somehow, a lawyer/dentist/real-estate salesman from tel-aviv was the only person to figure out that our president was actually born in Kenya... deserves to be labeled as stupid.

the great bulk of people that are debating this stupid issue are republicans, so you see where the logic comes from. These people (the birthers) are either racist, bitter, stupid or all of the above.

btw, IMO there are also respectable repubs and loony libs out there. so don't think I'm directly calling you stupid, Hidden.

Here's an article I found explaining the stat story in more detail (7% were sure it was not a state, ~5% weren't sure)
http://www.newmajority.com/birthers-ignorance-is-no-excuse wrote:
According to Public Policy Polling (PPP), a North Carolina polling firm, only 24% of self-identified Republican voters in the state believe Barack Obama was born in the United States. 47% do not believe that Obama is American born, and 29% of Republicans aren’t sure.

One part of PPP’s data might reassure sentient readers somewhat: 7% of those who voted for John McCain do not believe Hawaii to be a part of the United States. Now perhaps this is just another irrational expression of Obama hatred. But, it may also be older voters who never quite absorbed the news that our 50th state is indeed our 50th state.

Sadly, even if the latter is the case, it doesn’t explain very much. Last November, Obama carried North Carolina by just 14,000 or so votes out of about 4.3 million cast, the second closest state contest in the nation after Missouri. Each candidate received a shade over 49% with minor party candidates picking up the rest. So 7% of the McCain vote is just 3.5% of the total state vote. McCain received about 2.128 million votes. 3.5% of that is–back of the envelope about 74,000 votes.

Ok, now lets look at the official exit polls for the state presidential race. McCain got 95% of the Republican vote, Obama got 4%. McCain also got 95% of the white Republican vote, Obama got 4% of that (probably an almost identical cohort). The GOP identified vote comprised 31% of the whole (Dems 42%, independents 27%).

So McCain got almost all of that 31% of the vote that was self-identified Republican. That comes to about 1.275 million of his 2.128 million total (obviously independents and some Democrats comprised the rest of his vote). So charitably subtract those 74,000 North Carolina McCain voters who claim not to know that Hawaii is an American state (charitably, because let’s assume their view is a sign of ignorance, not malice towards Obama). Now McCain’s GOP voting base is down to 1.2 million GOP voters–of which, according to thePPP poll, 76%, or just over 900,000 Republicans in the state, don’t think the president of the United States is legitimate, or aren’t sure about the matter, needing more proof than the two birth announcements that were placed in Hawaiian newspapers at the time of his birth.

Reminds me of the grim, old joke about Richard Hofstadter’s Anti-Intellectualism in American Life: That it’s amazing he condensed the subject into one volume.
Last edited by first off on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:06 pm
HiddenCounter wrote:Instead of trying to fix the problem or talk about the issues they waste time doing an inaccurate survey to once again call the Republican party stupid.

And you guys bite like a vulture who hasn't eaten in three days finding freshly dead meat.

excuse me??? why do you think I posted that stat? do you understand why the "birther movement" is a gigantic waste of time?

rather than being supportive of our liberal president, and trying to get past the fact that they lost, repubs are literally wishing him failure, and holding meaningless "tea parties".

talk about projection

btw fvck obama and the gov't today, it looks like the public option is not going to happen. big pharma and big health look like they are going to get there way. :banghead: :banghead: so much for change we can believe in.

Health care should be available to all citizens
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:11 am
first off wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:Instead of trying to fix the problem or talk about the issues they waste time doing an inaccurate survey to once again call the Republican party stupid.

excuse me??? why do you think I posted that stat? do you understand why the "birther movement" is a gigantic waste of time?

rather than being supportive of our liberal president, and trying to get past the fact that they lost, repubs are literally wishing him failure, and holding meaningless "tea parties".

talk about projection

btw fvck obama and the gov't today, it looks like the public option is not going to happen. big pharma and big health look like they are going to get there way. :banghead: :banghead: so much for change we can believe in.

Health care should be available to all citizens

We have the protests because we don't want Obama to bankrupt America.

It isn't because we want him to fail, we don't want him to do 23 trillion dollars in bail outs.

Universal health care doesn't work. It never has.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:48 am
You guys need to understand the point of getting the U.S. people into debt by owing trillions to the Federal Reserve and that's so soon, in within three years, maybe sooner, the Federal Reserve can call in all debts owed to them. What that means is that they can literally take everything that every U.S. person (except the very rich) owns, as everyone owes what the country owes, in even amounts and right now, if the Federal Reserve is owed over 20 trillion dollars, that is at least 100,000 dollars for each person. They intend on having the debt owed to them at being over 100 trillion dollars, as that way even the pretty rich can't escape.

Ron Paul made a statement to Alex Jones saying that he believes that was their intention all along and Alex told me that it was before the inception of the Federal Reserve in 1913

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:54 am
HiddenCounter wrote:Universal health care doesn't work. It never has.

First off,
would you say the united states current health care system is good?

second,
what proof do you have that the universal gov't run health care has never worked?

third,
why don't you believe that every US citizen should have the right to quality health care just like they have the right to education, mail service, police and fire departments?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS9NBs44twE&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

hidden counter wrote:We have the protests because we don't want Obama to bankrupt America.

how come there were no tea parties back when Clinton was President and he was hiking up taxes and "lib'in out"? will you not admit that at least some of this is fueled by racism?
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:48 pm
First off,
would you say the united states current health care system is good?

I am going to speak from experience. My uncle who lives in Canada needed a heart transplant. Well he was put on the waiting list for about two years. Wooh! Bums who didn't work a day in their life got medicine before him and he ended up having his life endangered.

Common Sense Reasons
We'd need more Doctors, so the quality of Doctors and Medicine would go down.

And remember when Canada had to transfer a bunch of their patients to America to handle it for them.

They couldn't handle the surplus!

I would write more but I got to go.
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum