Rubio drama already?

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:25 pm
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_d ... nba,173113
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:33 pm
Well his advisors and what-not have been saying that he might stay another year, or even two, in Spain.

We need to get TMC on the case to get the inside Spaniard scoop! :wink:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:27 pm
bigstrads wrote:Well his advisors and what-not have been saying that he might stay another year, or even two, in Spain.

We need to get TMC on the case to get the inside Spaniard scoop! :wink:

As I don't feel like typing much right now, I'm gonna copy what I posted in Ricky's thread in the Warriors forum...

Me on the other thread wrote:The fact that he wasn't picked til #5 means he won't make a single buck during his rookie contract, because all of his earnings will go to pay his buyout clause here. There's a reason to consider staying in Spain, it's not something random.

As for wasting a pick, Ricky WILL play in the NBA, it's just that it may not be next season (well, he certainly wants to go and is currently negotiating a reduction of his clause), so Minny has not wasted the pick. They can still trade him somewhere else (NY seems to be highly interested and talking with Minny about a trade, possibly including David Lee in the package) or wait for him to get rid of his contract. But one thing is for sure, Ricky will be in the NBA in two year's max (and I'm pretty sure it won't take that long).

There's one thing I don't like, tho, and that's him saying he doesn't want to play for Minny and that they should trade him (actually, he hasn't said that, but his agents have implied it). I see it no differently as any other player demanding a trade... and I don't like it one bit. Actually, it's a bit ironic, because his camp scared the Grizzlies about picking him and he ended up falling to #5 to the other team he was trying to avoid.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:14 pm
and I will do the same to which I agreed with TMC

I
bada wrote: agree. this is a different situation than a college kid. He is a professional athlete being PAID to play basketball right now. Like TMC said, his $6million buyout that HE has to pay means if he comes to the NBA, he will be playing for FREE for 3-4 years. So to make money, he will need to get endorsements which in Minny wont come as easily as say somewhere like NY.

Also, if you are going to work for free for 3 years, wouldnt you want it to be in a place you WANT to live?

I dont have ANY problem with what Rubio is doing. And everyteam knew this going in so if Minny took the risk, that was their choosing.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:37 am
There was an interview somewhere, where Rubio was asked to list the possible city destinations in a few words or less... when Minnesota was asked, he replies. "Too Cold".

He did say sacramento has nice weather (which he wont have to experience today the "nice" weather of 106 degrees.)
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:44 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:There was an interview somewhere, where Rubio was asked to list the possible city destinations in a few words or less... when Minnesota was asked, he replies. "Too Cold".

He did say sacramento has nice weather (which he wont have to experience today the "nice" weather of 106 degrees.)

come to the bay rubio, best weather in the US!
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:19 am
Ricky Rubio ? where at thou ? All the hype and the kid won't even play. Man i wish the warriors would have traded for him.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:05 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:Ricky Rubio ? where at thou ? All the hype and the kid won't even play. Man i wish the warriors would have traded for him.

so he could not play for us too?

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:52 pm
Quazza wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:Ricky Rubio ? where at thou ? All the hype and the kid won't even play. Man i wish the warriors would have traded for him.

so he could not play for us too?

Lol. I was just being sarcastic, I remember many fans wanted to dump the whole team to get this guy, but looks like he will be stuck with his Europe for the 2 years because of contract.

Minnie will be in the lottery once again,drafting Rubio, then Flynn, maybe they knew what was up with the buyout. A waste of 2 years for Minnie.

Well actually it might not be that bad Rubio could continue to develop or not, and they continue hitting the lottery every year. Our GM is horrible but Kahn is in the same boat IMO.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:17 am
warriorsstepup wrote:Minnie will be in the lottery once again,drafting Rubio, then Flynn, maybe they knew what was up with the buyout. A waste of 2 years for Minnie.

I'm sure they knew there was a big chance he wouldn't join the NBA this year. Not after falling to #5, and that's the reason they took Flynn. But Minny is rebuilding and that allows them to be more patient with him, as they won't be contending for anything right now.

He'll eventually join them, but probably will happen in two years. The reason is that his team needs money and won't allow him to leave for the NBA if he doesn't pay the full amount of the buyout. There are a couple of teams willing to pay it, but only if he stays for two years at least. So yeah, seems like he'll stay in Spain for two more years before joing Minny.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:11 am
TMC wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:Minnie will be in the lottery once again,drafting Rubio, then Flynn, maybe they knew what was up with the buyout. A waste of 2 years for Minnie.

I'm sure they knew there was a big chance he wouldn't join the NBA this year. Not after falling to #5, and that's the reason they took Flynn. But Minny is rebuilding and that allows them to be more patient with him, as they won't be contending for anything right now.

He'll eventually join them, but probably will happen in two years. The reason is that his team needs money and won't allow him to leave for the NBA if he doesn't pay the full amount of the buyout. There are a couple of teams willing to pay it, but only if he stays for two years at least. So yeah, seems like he'll stay in Spain for two more years before joing Minny.

Those buy-out contracts over there are no joke. Minnie should have known, trading 1 of the picks would have been the way to go. Well they will be rebuilding aka sucking for the future. At least they signed Rambis as coach, should be helpful for Jefferson and Kevin Love.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:03 am
GM's continue to make stupid mistakes when it comes to foreign players. If a foreign player says that he does not want to be drafted by your team, DON"T DRAFT HIM. The foreign player has ALL the advantage and the option to stay there. American rookie players dont have a choice, unless they want to play overseas, which they wont.

Minnesota looks stupid, and were sort of expecting this when they drafted him, cuz they also got flynn... they should of traded rubio to New York, or to any other city he didnt mind (aka sacramento), and move on.

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:38 pm
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

The Minnesota Timberwolves and the NBA will have to wait until 2011 for Ricky Rubio(notes) to leave Europe, a high-level source told Yahoo! Sports on Monday night.

Regal of Barcelona has agreed to a six-year contract with Rubio after working out a buyout package with DKV Jovenut of Spain on Monday.

After weeks of haggling, Minnesota Timberwolves GM David Kahn was unable to facilitate a buyout that would’ve brought the fifth pick in the 2009 draft to the NBA this season.

I don't know how this works but how in the world does Minnie let Barcelona out-bid them on the buy-out, pretty ridiculous to be a Minnie fan. The writing was on the wall with big prints.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:40 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:I don't know how this works but how in the world does Minnie let Barcelona out-bid them on the buy-out, pretty ridiculous to be a Minnie fan. The writing was on the wall with big prints.

Minny couldn't do anything else than they already did. The NBA rules don't allow teams to pay more than $500,000 for buying out players that do not play in the NBA. Minny offered to pay that much and even play a couple of games there (with all the benefits going to DVK Joventut) and sharing Ricky's rights in case he comes back to Europe. It was a great proposal.

Still, it was really short of Barcelona's amount, and there was no way under the current CBA Minny could have made a better offer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:07 am
TMC wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:I don't know how this works but how in the world does Minnie let Barcelona out-bid them on the buy-out, pretty ridiculous to be a Minnie fan. The writing was on the wall with big prints.

Minny couldn't do anything else than they already did. The NBA rules don't allow teams to pay more than $500,000 for buying out players that do not play in the NBA. Minny offered to pay that much and even play a couple of games there (with all the benefits going to DVK Joventut) and sharing Ricky's rights in case he comes back to Europe. It was a great proposal.

Still, it was really short of Barcelona's amount, and there was no way under the current CBA Minny could have made a better offer.

Is it Bold to say Ricky Rubio will never be in a T-Wolve uniform. The guy might play in the NBA, but not with the t-wolves.. however, i like their coaching staff this year. lotta good minds, and ex-ballers.
Next

Return to NBA Forum