Magic's Rashard Lewis caught with PEDs

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:53 pm
FINALLY! WHAT TOOK SO LONG.

not trying to pick on Lewis, but i was wondering when someone was going to be caught with Performance Enhancing Drugs in the NBA. I mean, how has it been so long when they caught someone? They been catching people in the NFL and MLB for years. Yet the NBA had not have 1 case? Very suspicious. Lewis could not have been the first one to take them. but catching a star is a start... maybe the nba will begin to clean up there game... and not blatantly run a rigged league.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:35 pm
He takes PEDs? Sure doesn't look like it's working. I would never expect him of all people to be someone who takes it. I guess never say never.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:13 pm
Haha of all people, a PF who relies on jump shots and doesn't play in the post or rely on bulk gets caught. Maybe his urine sample got mixed up with Dwight's. Howard has certainly put on a lot of bulk over the last few years. I guess he took an over the counter supplement and didn't realize it had the testosterone enhancer DHEA. Makes sense, since I've heard from personal friends of Rashard that this guy smokes A LOT of weed. I guess he was too high to read the ingredients or the NBA's rules.
Get Money. Get Paid.

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:47 pm
yeah, and something i forgot to mention... he's suspended for 10 games cuz of this... interesting.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:39 pm
haha at first glance I thought it said that he was caught with WMD's.

Now THAT would be news.

I am a Rashard Lewis fan, but it's hard to root for someone who takes PED's. Takes the spirit from the game, IMO.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:54 pm
Tarantism wrote:haha at first glance I thought it said that he was caught with WMD's.

Now THAT would be news.

I am a Rashard Lewis fan, but it's hard to root for someone who takes PED's. Takes the spirit from the game, IMO.

I would think the NBA/US government would allow that..............so they could have him launch them off at Cuba from down there in Florida. :wink:
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:53 am
Interesting... I been arguing with my pop about the barry bonds steroid allegations over the past month (I think that they should penalize Barry Bonds by taking away his homerun record or at the very least put a giant asterisk next to it). This adds more fuel to the fire for conversation.

I think the reason why we don't see many NBA players with PED charges is the same reason why you don't see many (or any?) quarterbacks or soccer players with Steroid drug charges: it's a finesse game. Basketball requires an extreme combination of craftiness, teamwork, and skill to get the ball into that tiny, tiny goal (tiny compared to the back wall of a baseball stadium, an endzone, or even a soccer net). Being ripped doesn't really help you shot a ball and if your game plan is to just mow people down, then people will just take a charge. Therefore, in basketball, the advantages steroids bring are not really worth the risks. And speaking of risks, I've heard PEDS can often actually increase the risk of cartilage and ligament damage. A few years ago I remember someone on espn hypothesizing that the reason there are so many freak accidents in baseball, like getting injured just running around the bases, is partly due to the "secret" use of steroids (aka abnormal amounts of muscle mass are an abnormal strain on the bodies connective tissue). B-ball players already have enough knee issues as is.

Obviously, obviously, I'm not trying to say that having some meat on your bones won't help you out in B-ball (did you hear that BWright?), however, if you compare the bodies of NBA all stars like Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, KG, Pierce, Chris Bosh, Jordan, (and in soccer guys like Zidane, Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho) to baseball and NFL linemen bodies like, Mark McGuire, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, and Dana Stublefield, Romanowski - it's easy to see that the latter relies on a stronger body type to excel in their sport; much more so than the former.

Cycling, Track and Field, Swimming, Baseball, and many Football positions are mainly focused on against-the-clock speed or maximum strength or both (of course, I'm saying this in relation to Pro-basketball; I know even sports like pro-cycling require team work). so it would make sense that they there's more players getting caught in those sports.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:18 am
I read it was something he bought over the counter ?
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:54 pm
I know that he used the same tired argument many athletes use in "I didn't know I was taking it, but I believe Shard. I've read some Magic boards and apparently going into the playoffs Shard was banged up and took a supplement that was supposed to help with recovery and didn't read all of the ingredients or consult his trainer. Stupid move, but it's not like he was posting up or pushing guys out of the lane to get rebounds. He was camping out on the perimeter and shooting 3s like he always does.

What's more important news is Shard's new music video and its message. So hopefully people take the advice from him, Durant, Mo Williams and Iguodala don't criticize him too hard, but hyperize him instead.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9rUn2YchOY[/youtube]
Get Money. Get Paid.

Return to NBA Forum