The Oakland Athletics Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:13 am
How about the A's 10 run comeback yesterday... crazy!
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:26 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:How about the A's 10 run comeback yesterday... crazy!

bout time something good happened for them!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:39 am
RobDIKUM wrote:

yeah, I am an oakland guy over SF guy. But because i am an NL over AL, the A's our my second team, thus i don't give them nearly as much love. But i had to post one of the few good highlights of the season. Although the ending was a crock, the game in general was a good comeback
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:48 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:

yeah, I am an oakland guy over SF guy. But because i am an NL over AL, the A's our my second team, thus i don't give them nearly as much love. But i had to post one of the few good highlights of the season. Although the ending was a crock, the game in general was a good comeback

Im so sick of this A's season. I hate to admit it, but Im actually pulling for a 100 loss season. I think that is the only way that Billy Beane will fire his good buddy Bob Geren. Geren is a bit like Don Nelson, he has continually gone to gas cans in the bullpen and has made very few decisions that would make you think he had one bit of knowledge as a ML manager. Hopefully the next couple weeks will bring a trade of Holliday and a complete tailspin. If the A's win a few games, all it will do is hurt the franchise moving forward.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:37 pm
ESPN just posted a long feature on Billy Beane:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/columns/story?columnist=bryant_howard&id=4357166

First, I think Beane is an amazing GM. Eventually, a team with no payroll who wins is going to run into major, major problems because they're not getting top flight talent like the teams drafting up front.

Second, I don't like how the steroid era and its impact on successes and failures are ignored in these types of reports. Much of the offensive success of the A's in the late 90s and early 2000s came from guys who were likely juicing. Tejada and Giambi come to mind. You take those away the juice and the basis of your evaluation of offensive players is totally thrown out of whack. The Giants also have this problem.

Third, Beane's need to rebuild every few years was eventually going to break down. Evaluating talent is just not that exact of a science.

In the end, Beane is not a failure. Any architect of a playoff contending small market team is to be celebrated in my opinion, not torn down when the success fades.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:31 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:ESPN just posted a long feature on Billy Beane:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/columns/story?columnist=bryant_howard&id=4357166

First, I think Beane is an amazing GM. Eventually, a team with no payroll who wins is going to run into major, major problems because they're not getting top flight talent like the teams drafting up front.

Second, I don't like how the steroid era and its impact on successes and failures are ignored in these types of reports. Much of the offensive success of the A's in the late 90s and early 2000s came from guys who were likely juicing. Tejada and Giambi come to mind. You take those away the juice and the basis of your evaluation of offensive players is totally thrown out of whack. The Giants also have this problem.

Third, Beane's need to rebuild every few years was eventually going to break down. Evaluating talent is just not that exact of a science.

In the end, Beane is not a failure. Any architect of a playoff contending small market team is to be celebrated in my opinion, not torn down when the success fades.

agreed... beane on the Yankees would bring championships immediately. Beane and his team are not only a great scouts, but pretty good negotiators in trades. beane is the best.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:55 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
StuckInSoCal wrote:ESPN just posted a long feature on Billy Beane:

agreed... beane on the Yankees would bring championships immediately. Beane and his team are not only a great scouts, but pretty good negotiators in trades. beane is the best.

Beane is great, but I think one of the reasons he has not taken a better job is because he is protected from failure by being the GM of a small market team. He could have had the Red Sox job twice, once before they hired Theo Epstein and once after Theo took his brief leave of absence. I think sometimes he tries to get too cute and creative.

The main area that I have a problem with Beane is his choices of managers. Every year, the A's have the lowest paid manager. In recent years, we chose Ken Macha over Terry Francona (who was the bench coach here), we then let Ron Washington walk away and the latest coach we let walk was Don Wakamatsu, both of those guys were sent away in favor of Bob Geren, who in my opinion, is the worst manager in the league. He is a friend of Beane, which gives him unbelievable job security. This is why....I am rooting for a 100+ loss season, that way there will be no excuses and Geren will have to go!

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:05 pm
did u guys know that brett anderson was ranked the #7 prospect in all of baseball prior to this season? wow...i didnt start paying attention to him until he threw that shutout recently...i knew there mustve been a reason the a's kept starting him even though he had such a fat era

this guy was ranked higher than bumgarner and posey btw...really had no clue the a's had such a top notch prospect

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:48 pm
a's top 3 pitchers is set for the future

1. anderson (ace of the future)
2. cahill
3. outman (whats up with this guy btw, last i heard he was on the 15 day disabled list)
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:08 am
TruE SExy wrote:a's top 3 pitchers is set for the future

1. anderson (ace of the future)
2. cahill
3. outman (whats up with this guy btw, last i heard he was on the 15 day disabled list)

Outman will be out for the rest of the year.

What an amazing comeback by the A's last night. Rajai Davis has become a hitting machine! Texas was 50-0 when leading in the 9th inning up until last night and the A's scored 3 in the bottom after trailing 2-0 going in.

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:18 pm
i like what the a's are doing...just throw their top young pitchers out there every game and let them accumulate experience without feeling the pressure to win...by next year, anderson and cahill should become much more consistent than theyve been so far

cahill started out strong and has gotten into a slump...it will be good for him to work out his wrinkles

anderson started out poorly and has turned it on ever since his 2 hitter shutout...hes done a great job adjusting

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:21 pm
anderson has exactly what it takes to succeed the a's big three and haren/harden as the future ace....dominant stuff, hard to hit, strikes out guys...im a lot less optimistic concerning finesse pitchers like cahill, though he did rack up alot of K's in the minors

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:47 pm
comeon gio get the shutout...this guy has rapidly improved in his last few starts as well
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:10 am
TruE SExy wrote:comeon gio get the shutout...this guy has rapidly improved in his last few starts as well

Gio was great last night and over his past 4 or so starts he has been really good. The main thing this kid was lacking seemed to be confidence. I think it set him back acouple months back when he was called up, Geren used him out of the pen in a long extra inning game, he threw something like 118 pitches, gave up a run, got the loss and was immediately sent down. His next few starts after coming back, he struggled....now he has found his rhythm and has been lights out.

Im really liking this A's staff going forward with Anderson, Braden, Cahill, Outman and Gio for next year. All young guys with major league stuff. Wouldnt mind seeing Beane get something for the Duke if possible before the post-season roster deadline arrives.

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:21 pm
i didnt even remember we still had duke lol...yeah we need to get some value out of him...shame we didnt pull the trigger after his great last season, it was unlikely that hed ever duplicate that era

for next year we're set at pitching but still have no offense...beane's got alot of work to do...i dont see this team's recession lasting more than another 1-2 years
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board