Clippers swing a Blockbuster

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:37 pm
Hey Clipper GM....did you hear......YOU GUYS GOT MARK MADSEN!! Yea, the Mad-Dog is coming home to LA. The Clippers sent Q.Rich to Minny for Madsen, Craig Smith and the next big thing, til he sucked....Sebastian Telfair.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:04 pm
Craig Smith might be of use to them...

Man, what a lame trade.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:27 am
You know what's ironic and funny is that ClipperGM got beat to this Clippers news. You would assume it'd be him reporting him, but no... it's Always.

I mean, I guess Craig Smith helps them a little. Telfair? Madsen? Uh...
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:47 am
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHA! :mrgreen:
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:12 am
I feel bad for Richardson, though. Looks like the Wolves are going to move him again. From New York to Memphis to Los Angeles to Minnesota... and now a new destination is being discussed.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:21 am
xbay wrote:I feel bad for Richardson, though. Looks like the Wolves are going to move him again. From New York to Memphis to Los Angeles to Minnesota... and now a new destination is being discussed.

Hey, you get to know the USA while getting paid a sh*tload of money. I certainly DON'T feel bad for him. :mrgreen:
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:25 am
TMC wrote:
xbay wrote:I feel bad for Richardson, though. Looks like the Wolves are going to move him again. From New York to Memphis to Los Angeles to Minnesota... and now a new destination is being discussed.

Hey, you get to know the USA while getting paid a sh*tload of money. I certainly DON'T feel bad for him. :mrgreen:

the guy hasnt been worth a damn in years, but his deal makes him multi-moveable apparently. I HATE Craig Smith. HATE him! He always goes off against the Dubs, that was the one name I didnt like seeing in the deal, but I cracked up when I saw Madsen! He can do that title dance for the Clippers at the Lottery selection show next year for good luck.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:43 am
Such big news and Clipper GM is nowhere to be seen? Maybe he's made because they can't turn Q's capspace to lure Lebron or another top-tier free agent next year any more. I REALLY saw that happening too.
Get Money. Get Paid.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:53 am
xbay wrote:You know what's ironic and funny is that ClipperGM got beat to this Clippers news. You would assume it'd be him reporting him, but no... it's Always.

I mean, I guess Craig Smith helps them a little. Telfair? Madsen? Uh...

Clipper GM would have liked to sweep this story under the rug....that is why somebody had to bring it to the forefront. Talk all the mess you want about Mullin....atleast we dont have Mike Dunleavy as our GM, Clipper!

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:47 am
haha, like we all knew. all it took was time for the Clippers to f*ck up a pretty decent offseason. ClippersGM where are you? You're always on this board. WHERE ARE YOU??!?!
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:32 am
haahaha..i was gone, been partying since I'm on mandatory vacation, or else i'll lose it...came back from the vessel club tonite..hella peeps, nice lil spot...bay area is aiite i guess

I actually liked this trade..Q is worthless as a player...we get back two expiring contracts and an ok backup PG to add to our depth behind b-diddy and only commit $2.7M extra to our boatload of salary cap space in 2010 (that's pennies compared to what we got coming in 2010)...craig smith would always go off on da clippers too, so i like him as a 3rd string PF...i'm sure he's better than your 3rd stringer...

so how does this deal hurt us? doesn't it help us? mad dog and craig are still expiring contracts, so no harm no foul there..and on paper, we got back better talent...nice try guys, but dumbleavy for GM of da year..haha

p.s. mad dog will probably get cut since he was just a throw in to make the salaries work...he'll prolly sign with the warriors since he's from stanford and da dubs need another post player...ya heard it here first!!!
Last edited by ClipperGM on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:38 am
MC99 wrote:haha, like we all knew. all it took was time for the Clippers to f*ck up a pretty decent offseason. ClippersGM where are you? You're always on this board. WHERE ARE YOU??!?!

LOL...f u c k up an offseason? by trading away q-rich? we coulda traded him away for the other team's bath towels and still came up...LOL

da f-up is the team that refused to include stephen worry for AMARE...lol.."gentleman: it's officially time to WORRY" HAHAHA

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:59 am
dude, i don't even want Amare anymore. If we get him, he'd just be a baby and complain. No doubt he's good and i won't knock on his skills, but guy wants a max deal and doesn't even want to play for us. what would be the point?

As for the Clips trade, i tried to find the salaries of each expiring contract but i could only find q-richs (9.3 mil i believe). And if madsens was thrown in for matching the salaries, then that means q-richs deal is heftier than madsens and smiths put together? not sure about that, couldn't find the numbers.

if that is the case tho, Clips should have kept richardson because telfair has a player option for 2010 for 2.7 mil. i would have rather kept richardson and tried to come to some type of buyout that would free up space right away.

again, not completely sure about the amount of the cotnracts, but i would have kept richardson over a third string PG who'll get 0 play time behind BD and Gordon, and undersized PF that goes off on weak teams, and a white guy that dances.
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:34 pm
MC99 wrote:dude, i don't even want Amare anymore. If we get him, he'd just be a baby and complain. No doubt he's good and i won't knock on his skills, but guy wants a max deal and doesn't even want to play for us. what would be the point?

As for the Clips trade, i tried to find the salaries of each expiring contract but i could only find q-richs (9.3 mil i believe). And if madsens was thrown in for matching the salaries, then that means q-richs deal is heftier than madsens and smiths put together? not sure about that, couldn't find the numbers.

if that is the case tho, Clips should have kept richardson because telfair has a player option for 2010 for 2.7 mil. i would have rather kept richardson and tried to come to some type of buyout that would free up space right away.

again, not completely sure about the amount of the cotnracts, but i would have kept richardson over a third string PG who'll get 0 play time behind BD and Gordon, and undersized PF that goes off on weak teams, and a white guy that dances.

someone else can post the exact numbers, but it basically breaks down like this:

*madsen/craig smith/telfair salaries combined came out less than $9.3, but were close enuff to make the trade work...we saved like close to $1M in cold hard cash in da deal as a side note

*madsen/craig are expiring after this season, should be on hoopshype

*telfair is expiring too, but i think he has a player option, which he'll likely exercise for $2.7M, which again, is pennies compaired to what we got comin to us in 2010

*telfair/smith are gonna be ok in terms of bench depth...telfair still has a little upside potential left, but as is now, he is ok as a back up.

*Q-Rich had no value to us as a player and was acquired strictly for his contract and to get rid of zach
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:39 pm
it pretty much makes no difference the trade to me..we did add bench depth in my opinion, but even if u feel we didn't, we're still in great shape with boatloads of money in 2010 so no harm no foul is the way i see it

ya gotta remember we got like a $7.5M trade exemption from the zach trade too, so we can add a player with that too...like i said, getting rid of zach opened up boatloads of money for us...memphis shoulda at least tried to force us to match salaries, but we took back a player at half price and one year left, and gave them $33M and two years left, and team poison to boot

BOTTOM LINE: does $2.7M really make a big difference when your gonna be $20M-plus under the cap anyway?? nuff said

Return to NBA Forum