WTF is it like in YOUR hometown?

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:19 am
My remarks will be twice as snide and sarcastic then theirs. :D
Fighting liberals one post at a time.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:45 am
xbay wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
Jackattack wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:My hometown is boring, bland, and generic. It is boring, but I still love it. :D

amazing.. this post actually explains the mentality behind your sig...

:mrgreen: :wink: :banghead: :bday: :shock: 8)

yeah no wonder.... i think the deficit just Quintupled also (is that even a word? :mrgreen: )
How does boring and bland have anything to do with my sig?

Get used to it, bud. There are liberals on this board.

Is it safe to say, that ALL the regulars are liberal or liberal-moderate, minus a couple people. I mean, their are roughly 20-30 regulars on this board, and only a couple at most would consider themselves conservative.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:55 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
xbay wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
Jackattack wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:My hometown is boring, bland, and generic. It is boring, but I still love it. :D

yeah no wonder.... i think the deficit just Quintupled also (is that even a word? :mrgreen: )

Is it safe to say, that ALL the regulars are liberal or liberal-moderate, minus a couple people. I mean, their are roughly 20-30 regulars on this board, and only a couple at most would consider themselves conservative.

Not me! However I am liberal when it comes to social issues...as in abortion, gay marriage, etc. The rest of it, I think ya'll are raving lunatics :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:11 am
Captain_Jack wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
xbay wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
Jackattack wrote:

Not me! However I am liberal when it comes to social issues...as in abortion, gay marriage, etc. The rest of it, I think ya'll are raving lunatics :mrgreen:

so moderate or liberal moderate? Are you for war?

Like for the most part, i am pretty liberal. Definately more than i ever was in my lifetime. college definately improved on some issues. My parents are incredibly conservative with the economy though (liberal socially) so i am pretty much par with them, though not too extreme.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:18 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
xbay wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
Jackattack wrote:

Like for the most part, i am pretty liberal. Definately more than i ever was in my lifetime. college definately improved on some issues. My parents are incredibly conservative with the economy though (liberal socially) so i am pretty much par with them, though not too extreme.

I wouldn't call myself a moderate. Aside from those social issues I am very conservative (remember I do not mean republican, just conservative).

For war? In what capacity? Do I think war is necessary in certain situations, damn right it is. Do I support going to war on false pretenses (i.e. Iraq) no, but that has nothing to do with my political beliefs, I just don't like being lied to. Do I think we should be pulling out of the middle east right now? Nope, we're going to leave them in a state of instability that will breed further terrorist sentiment toward the United States and we're setting ourselves up for failure.

I am conservative because my political beliefs are deeply rooted in personal responsibility and a largely limited federal government. I do not believe that the government, or anyone else, should be responsible for the actions of anyone. Our choices and our decisions are just that, they are OUR choices and decisions, therefore we must deal with the consequences not just pawn them off on someone else.

Again I'm not a Republican, there's a HUGE difference between them and conservative ideology. In a lot of ways my social beliefs make me more conservative. While it is considered "liberal" to want gay marriage or believe in a woman's choice. I view it from a conservative perspective, I don't think the government, at any level, has the right to interfere in personal affairs...they need to stay the hell out of the bedroom.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:37 am
Captain_Jack wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
xbay wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
Jackattack wrote:

I wouldn't call myself a moderate. Aside from those social issues I am very conservative (remember I do not mean republican, just conservative).

For war? In what capacity? Do I think war is necessary in certain situations, damn right it is. Do I support going to war on false pretenses (i.e. Iraq) no, but that has nothing to do with my political beliefs, I just don't like being lied to. Do I think we should be pulling out of the middle east right now? Nope, we're going to leave them in a state of instability that will breed further terrorist sentiment toward the United States and we're setting ourselves up for failure.

I am conservative because my political beliefs are deeply rooted in personal responsibility and a largely limited federal government. I do not believe that the government, or anyone else, should be responsible for the actions of anyone. Our choices and our decisions are just that, they are OUR choices and decisions, therefore we must deal with the consequences not just pawn them off on someone else.

Again I'm not a Republican, there's a HUGE difference between them and conservative ideology. In a lot of ways my social beliefs make me more conservative. While it is considered "liberal" to want gay marriage or believe in a woman's choice. I view it from a conservative perspective, I don't think the government, at any level, has the right to interfere in personal affairs...they need to stay the hell out of the bedroom.

Interesting... your approach is more libertarian conservative. Very Ron Paul-esque. Paul was a guy that when he spoke, you know he is telling the truth, because he was just as sick and tired of the lies coming from the government and the bureaucracies surrounding them (BTW, i voted for Paul, because the dude is just uber awesome, and IMO was more qualified than Obama and Palin is stupid).

Point is, goverment i think is important, and when a nation is as big as ours (over 300 million), we do need government to help regulate the direction of the country so their isn't chaos and disorder. I think people that criticize government are blaming the wrong people. They are blaming the structure of representation, medium size government (GOP says its big... you want big, go to europe, China or the middle east. This is nothing). I think the biggest blame should go to the corruption found in our system and the party politics that flood good decision making. I think if we had more representation in congress (aka much more congressmen and the absence of party politics) we can see definite change.

But, which Migya often points out, it is more complicated than that. Although i dont agree with all his outlandish claims, i do agree with him that something is fishy with our governenment, and it could very well be weaker that it looks to be (i wont use the word puppet as he does, as i think that is far from accurate. I think there could very well be another influence, that very one John F. Kennedy warned us about, before he got shot.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:06 am
So that is what it's like in your hometown... now i get it! oh wait, this is a political discussion, nevermind i'm in the wrong forum

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:23 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:So that is what it's like in your hometown... now i get it! oh wait, this is a political discussion, nevermind i'm in the wrong forum
All because of my sig. God I'm awesome.
Fighting liberals one post at a time.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:40 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote: But, which Migya often points out, it is more complicated than that. Although i dont agree with all his outlandish claims, i do agree with him that something is fishy with our governenment, and it could very well be weaker that it looks to be (i wont use the word puppet as he does, as i think that is far from accurate. I think there could very well be another influence, that very one John F. Kennedy warned us about, before he got shot.

You have to understand, I have this belief through research and information I've uncovered. I used to think (pre 2000/2001) that things were not what they are, but I proceeded to do some research,happened to stumble on certain pieces of information (articles, books etc) and started piecing it all together.

That's all I did

migya make the ring fall on ya
Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:15 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I think there could very well be another influence, that very one John F. Kennedy warned us about, before he got shot.

You mean Eisenhower with his farewell speech? He warned against the growing influence of the military/ industrial complex. Interestingly, his granddaughter was on Bill Maher the other day, and basically she came out and said that Ike's initial speech denounced the military/ industrial/ congressional complex, but he changed it shortly before hand so as not to ruffle any feathers.

Anyway, to drag this this thread back OT, I'll tell you about where I'm from. Well, I guess you all are probably familiar with Oakland already if you've ever been to a Warriors game, but I'll just say for a city that gets a lot of flack from outsiders (much of it deserved) it's still a crazy awesome place to live if you're in a good neighborhood and don't mind being around "urban" type folks. (I only add that last part because I work out in Castro Valley and it's like a night and day difference. I get the impression many of those folks are scared to even drive through Oakland.)

Well so I grew up in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Our claim to fame is that my area was where John Hughes shot all his 80s teen flicks (Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, Ferris Bueller, etc.). If any of you are old enough to remember those movies, they're pretty much spot on in terms of what high school is like there. Upper middle class, predominantly white, exuding a "safe" kind of All-American uniformity that covers up all the messy **** that really goes down there.

When I was 14 I went to go live with my dad in South Padre Island, Texas. For those unfamiliar, the city is on the tip of a small island in the Gulf of Mexico, just two miles off the coast of Texas. Most of the year there's very little to do there but surf and go to the beach, but for the month of March it is inundated with Spring Breakers from all over the country. (Typically about 200,000 come down each year, and the town itself is only 4 miles wide by about mile across!) I remember things getting exceptionally crazy there. You grow up really fast in an environment like that, and I would not recommend trying to raise a family around there. (The island is flooded with drugs year round, being about 20 minutes from the border of Matamoros, Mexico.)
“Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth” -- Mike Tyson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:38 pm
J-Pinnacle wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:I think there could very well be another influence, that very one John F. Kennedy warned us about, before he got shot.

You mean Eisenhower with his farewell speech? He warned against the growing influence of the military/ industrial complex. Interestingly, his granddaughter was on Bill Maher the other day, and basically she came out and said that Ike's initial speech denounced the military/ industrial/ congressional complex, but he changed it shortly before hand so as not to ruffle any feathers.

Anyway, to drag this this thread back OT, I'll tell you about where I'm from. Well, I guess you all are probably familiar with Oakland already if you've ever been to a Warriors game, but I'll just say for a city that gets a lot of flack from outsiders (much of it deserved) it's still a crazy awesome place to live if you're in a good neighborhood and don't mind being around "urban" type folks. (I only add that last part because I work out in Castro Valley and it's like a night and day difference. I get the impression many of those folks are scared to even drive through Oakland.)

Well so I grew up in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Our claim to fame is that my area was where John Hughes shot all his 80s teen flicks (Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, Ferris Bueller, etc.). If any of you are old enough to remember those movies, they're pretty much spot on in terms of what high school is like there. Upper middle class, predominantly white, exuding a "safe" kind of All-American uniformity that covers up all the messy **** that really goes down there.

When I was 14 I went to go live with my dad in South Padre Island, Texas. For those unfamiliar, the city is on the tip of a small island in the Gulf of Mexico, just two miles off the coast of Texas. Most of the year there's very little to do there but surf and go to the beach, but for the month of March it is inundated with Spring Breakers from all over the country. (Typically about 200,000 come down each year, and the town itself is only 4 miles wide by about mile across!) I remember things getting exceptionally crazy there. You grow up really fast in an environment like that, and I would not recommend trying to raise a family around there. (The island is flooded with drugs year round, being about 20 minutes from the border of Matamoros, Mexico.)

yes, Ike did warn us about the whole mistake he did with the Industrial complex, and if he could take it back he could. It is arguably the most famous farewell speech in American History (well at least in the last century).

What I was referring to was the speech before. This is just a clip.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZk8ronces&feature=related[/youtube]
Previous

Return to Off-Topic Forum