WTF is it like in YOUR hometown?

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:36 am
I've lived in the bay area pretty much my whole life. While it's nice here, I often wonder WTF it would be like to live elsewhere, and how cities and towns around the world are different from one another. I'm particularly interested in what life is like outside the US, but I thought I'd make this thread available for anyone that feels like describing their town.

Describe the town you live in and why you like it, or hate it. if you feel like it, also say where you'd like to move to if you had the opportunity.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:28 am
Adelaide-One of the laughing stocks of Australia. But I've been all over OZ and wouldn't live anywhere else (OK perhaps Brisbane) It's chilled, doesn't have the intensity of say Sydney and Melb. We have great foods, wine, and the best OZ Hip Hop undoubtedly comes from Adelaide.

If any of you Yanks come to Aus, hit up Adelaide, we here at Team Quaz will show you around
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:41 am
Quazza wrote:Adelaide-One of the laughing stocks of Australia. But I've been all over OZ and wouldn't live anywhere else (OK perhaps Brisbane) It's chilled, doesn't have the intensity of say Sydney and Melb. We have great foods, wine, and the best OZ Hip Hop undoubtedly comes from Adelaide.

If any of you Yanks come to Aus, hit up Adelaide, we here at Team Quaz will show you around

Dude i just presumed you was from Melbourne for some reason.

Yeah Adelaide does have the best OZ Hiphop but Adelaide is also known for where all the good hydroponic marijuana comes from.

Quazza mentioned he'd perhaps live in Brisbane well thats me baby.

Brisbane is a city described as a cleaner Miami... But when people come to Brisbane they mistaken it for the Gold Coast... basically Brisbane is the financial/commercial hub of Queensland (The Great Barrier Reef state) and Gold Coast is the glitzy beach town with crazy tall buildings and artificial blondes with massive silicone implants and the high life.

I can say Brisbane is a real relaxed town. I noticed when i went to Sydney, people use there horns way more then in Brisbane. But Brisbane downside is that it's basically the Australian Farmers last big town. There's a good blend of rednecks living in Brisbane who are kind of all about white Australia and then Brisbane is starting to thrive with population boom and therefore lot more ethnics in town.

So i notice a little bit of tension brewing in this melting pot about Indian Taxi Drivers and the Chinese taking over our Fish and Chips shop..... just small **** like that!

Oh yeah and Brisbane City Council is the largest one Council in the world in terms that it has to cover the biggest landmass where as a town like Mexico City or Tokyo would have tiny little councils running the intracacies of there town.

Did i say that the maximum temperatures of Brisbane never drop below 65-70 degrees in Bris... it's winter at the moment in OZ and today the temp was 70 degrees in my town.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:54 am
haha yer, we're the weed capital no doubt. Meth is also cheaper here than anywhere else in Aus lol
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:09 pm
People say you guys got more poisonous animals (or maybe it was just spiders) there than any other place in the world. ever been bitten by something narly?
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:14 pm
i used to live in Auckland, New Zealand before moving to the Bay.

New Zealand is boring.. unless you love the beach, sheep, hiking.

THe US is definitely more fun but less scenic.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:44 pm
first off wrote:People say you guys got more poisonous animals (or maybe it was just spiders) there than any other place in the world. ever been bitten by something narly?

this is true. We have the worst snakes and spiders. Was bitten by a redback as a kid but don't remember it. Spent a fair while in hospital though
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:32 pm
Quazza wrote:Adelaide-One of the laughing stocks of Australia. But I've been all over OZ and wouldn't live anywhere else (OK perhaps Brisbane) It's chilled, doesn't have the intensity of say Sydney and Melb. We have great foods, wine, and the best OZ Hip Hop undoubtedly comes from Adelaide.

Perth is very laid back and relaxed. Good place to raise children, but not a whole lot of action. I visited Sydney and Melbourne last year and thos two cities are much more action filled, pretty European like

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:04 pm
San Diego is weird. People here act like it's a small town and they do things with a small town mentality, despite the city being pretty darn big. Oh and everyone here thinks they're from the OC, ridiculous tans, bleach blond hair, stuff like that. In comparison to the Bay it's diverse, but a weird kind of diversity. I don't know how to explain it really, it's just a strange place.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:55 am
Ok, I'm gonna make two posts. Let's start with where I currently live, Las Palmas.

It's, to put it simply, a cradle of filth populated by scum. It has nice weather, tho...

Tomorrow I'll post about my hometown of Oviedo, and I promise it will be very, very different. :wink:

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:31 am
TMC wrote:Ok, I'm gonna make two posts. Let's start with where I currently live, Las Palmas.

It's, to put it simply, a cradle of filth populated by scum. It has nice weather, tho...

Tomorrow I'll post about my hometown of Oviedo, and I promise it will be very, very different. :wink:

How tight! you are from the north too TMC. My family is from Pamplona, Navarra.

BTW, my hometown is Palo Alto, Cali. it is a small city of 50,000 people. Heart of the Silicon Valley. Everyone has a lotta money (minus my family :banghead:). But still, I love it there. very calm, lot to do. Great people.

I use to live is San Diego, CA for a couple years cuz of school, so just read what Capt. Jack wrote for that info. The Diversity she is talking about is the diversity amongst white people. They come in all moods and style. Like they are extremely different from one another (the nerdiest of nerds, the richest of rich, the ditsy of ditsyland, the emoest of emos, etc). I would say their 50% white people, 45% latino, 5% other. At least from my experience. They love their chargers.

my new town is Elk Grove, Ca. Lived here since returning from SD. It is a few minutes from Sacramento (which is a very underrated city). The suburb i live in is very new, all the houses look the same, and there are no trees. Very boring, but Sacramento is pretty fun. Plus its only 1.5 hours from Tahoe (east) and The bay area (west). Everyone is a Kings fan.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:29 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
TMC wrote:Ok, I'm gonna make two posts. Let's start with where I currently live, Las Palmas.

BTW, my hometown is Palo Alto, Cali. it is a small city of 50,000 people. Heart of the Silicon Valley. Everyone has a lotta money (minus my family :banghead:). But still, I love it there. very calm, lot to do. Great people.

I use to live is San Diego, CA for a couple years cuz of school, so just read what Capt. Jack wrote for that info. The Diversity she is talking about is the diversity amongst white people. They come in all moods and style. Like they are extremely different from one another (the nerdiest of nerds, the richest of rich, the ditsy of ditsyland, the emoest of emos, etc). I would say their 50% white people, 45% latino, 5% other. At least from my experience. They love their chargers.

my new town is Elk Grove, Ca. Lived here since returning from SD. It is a few minutes from Sacramento (which is a very underrated city). The suburb i live in is very new, all the houses look the same, and there are no trees. Very boring, but Sacramento is pretty fun. Plus its only 1.5 hours from Tahoe (east) and The bay area (west). Everyone is a Kings fan.

Only while they're good...they never loved them before and they won't love them after. San Diego is Bandwagon City!

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:45 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

Only while they're good...they never loved them before and they won't love them after. San Diego is Bandwagon City!

I dunno.. like you can definately say that about the Padres... like they have the worse attendance in baseball. But i remember when i was there, the padres were getting a whole bunch of sell outs cuz they were doing good at the time. But the Chargers? I always thought they were pretty good fans with them... i mean, its only 8 games, right?

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:53 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

I dunno.. like you can definately say that about the Padres... like they have the worse attendance in baseball. But i remember when i was there, the padres were getting a whole bunch of sell outs cuz they were doing good at the time. But the Chargers? I always thought they were pretty good fans with them... i mean, its only 8 games, right?

thinking 1/2 the population of SD football people follow the raiders
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:18 pm
JOEL wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

thinking 1/2 the population of SD football people follow the raiders

Yep, there are tons of Raiders fans here
Next

Return to Off-Topic Forum