The All MMA Things Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:52 am
fine wrote:
But hey mig, you have any idea who Machida will be defending his title against? Everything seems to pointing towards Rampage's way, but if so, that fight won't happen 'til 2010 when "supposedly," both Machida and Rampage are coaches on the Ultimate Fighter season 10. Thus, both fighting in UFC 101.

CLICK to find out.

But I don't think it's official yet. So I will not comment further.

Yeah, that's what I heard, too. If it's true, I think it'll be a good fight, but Machida is better on the overall so I think he'll win.

But yeah mig, I really think the only person that could beat Machida is Anderson.

And congrats to your son, Bada. Great to hear he's got into BJJ. I was thinking of learning over at the Gracie BJJ complex in Stockton. Where did your son learn it at?
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:08 pm
bada wrote:The next great UFC star?

Answer: My son!!!

OK, so perharps not, but this past weekend my son took the gold medal in his Brazilian Jujitsu tournament!!! I was so proud of him. It was an "in-house" tournament and in the championship match, he beat a kid 3 belts above him and who is on the studio's STORM team which is for the studio's elite competitors. In fact, he beat this kid twice as he faced him earlier in the tournament and beat him sending him to the losers bracket. The kid went on to win the rest of his matches and get to the championship match against Jake.

GO JAKE!!!

That's impressive to say the least! Beating s guy three belts above him! Your son a white belt and the other guy purple was it? Your son seems like he has real promise in BJJ and that's great to hear. I'm in Gracie Barra. Gracie affiliated BJJ clubs seem to have the best twaching and are harder to move up the belts, making for good BJJ practioners

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:30 pm
thanks xbay. I was very proud

Migya, my son is a purple belt. He beat a red belt. Next belt for Jake would be Purple Advanced, then Red beginner, then Red.

In fact Jake JUST became a purple belt. He tested for his purple two weeks ago. He had to test in front of a 5 person panel of 5 black belts. Test lasted for over 2 hours and he had to perform over 100 techniques.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:12 pm
bada wrote:thanks xbay. I was very proud

Migya, my son is a purple belt. He beat a red belt. Next belt for Jake would be Purple Advanced, then Red beginner, then Red.

In fact Jake JUST became a purple belt. He tested for his purple two weeks ago. He had to test in front of a 5 person panel of 5 black belts. Test lasted for over 2 hours and he had to perform over 100 techniques.

:-o

That's weird, I've never heard of a belt and grading process like that.

I'm part of Gracie Barra, sure you know it as it is the biggest and most successful BJJ organisation in the world, and we (as every other club I know of) have a belt ranking system like follows: White, Blue, Purple, Brown and Black, in that order. Under 16 year olds go from white to yellow, then to orange and can't get to blue until they are 16 years old.

It then goes: 1st level black (known as black belt as I listed above), 2nd level black and continues to about 8th level black belt (I think but am not sure right now, look it up if you want). After the highest level of black belt you become a RED belt and (if I'm not wrong) there is only one red belt in the world right now and that is Rorion Gracie. Again, I might be wrong, but Helio Gracie (who dies at the start of this year) was a red belt and the only one, along with oldest son Rorion, that was.

I say this because I really don't understand the belt system (as well as the grading system you said) that you explained. Please clarify

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:25 pm
yeah, not every school does this. And I dont think it is officially recognized as the official way, but some schools, including my son's, has three rankings for each belt once you hit the purple level.

So it was Purble Beginner which is a belt with a white stripe down the middle of the purble.

Then Purble Intermediate which is solid purple

Then Purble Advanced which I think is a purble stripe down the middle with white on the oustide. can remember. But then this holds true with the other ranks until of course black.

It is a way where you progress withing a specific belt.

So I guess even though it IS 3 belts higher, maybe the proper way to say it would have been 3 ranks higher. In any case, the other kid has been studying BJJ for about 18 months longer than my son.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:46 am
bada wrote:yeah, not every school does this. And I dont think it is officially recognized as the official way, but some schools, including my son's, has three rankings for each belt once you hit the purple level.

So it was Purble Beginner which is a belt with a white stripe down the middle of the purble.

Then Purble Intermediate which is solid purple

Then Purble Advanced which I think is a purble stripe down the middle with white on the oustide. can remember. But then this holds true with the other ranks until of course black.

It is a way where you progress withing a specific belt.

So I guess even though it IS 3 belts higher, maybe the proper way to say it would have been 3 ranks higher. In any case, the other kid has been studying BJJ for about 18 months longer than my son.

Definately different. He did well beating someone that has been in BJJ for 18 months longer. He seems to have promise.

I've been training BJJ in spurts, especially the last two years, turning up about four straight lessons every two months, definately not much, but lately (the last two months) I've been going three times a week (five hours) amd am advancing fast. Tournament coming up and though I'm not big on competitions, I'll have to go in this one to see what I'm really made of. Our club, which is trained by a world champion from four years ago, has never lost a comp in some ten years. Reckon I'll do well as all the boys at our club have always said that training within the club is much harder than going against guys from other clubs

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:56 am
fine wrote:
But hey mig, you have any idea who Machida will be defending his title against? Everything seems to pointing towards Rampage's way, but if so, that fight won't happen 'til 2010 when "supposedly," both Machida and Rampage are coaches on the Ultimate Fighter season 10. Thus, both fighting in UFC 101.

CLICK to find out.

Okay, it's official now. UFC 104 will feature Machida in his first title defense against Shogun on October 24.

I'll take Machida on that one.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:33 am
xbay wrote:
fine wrote:

CLICK to find out.

Okay, it's official now. UFC 104 will feature Machida in his first title defense against Shogun on October 24.

I'll take Machida on that one.

As will I and by a long shot. Shogun was lucky to beat the fossil Mark Coleman, as both were attrocious in that fight. Haven't seen him against Liddell yet but he did win and apparently was much better. I don't think he has earned a title shot, as guys like Rampage have won more in the UFC

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:09 am
Yeah, it definitely surprised me Shogun was picked over Rampage. I really thought that was going to be the man he faces. Still, I'm with you though, the only person I think that can beat Machida is Silva.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:21 am
Just saw UFC 98 and thought Serra and Hughes fight was very close and maybe Serra had that third round, as he got on top with about 30secs left and smacked away real well, connecting with about three or four hits, while hughes, though on top for a good two minutes in that third round, did nothing with it.

Machida was awesome beating Rashard Evans, real quick and accurate. Machida is so different that I don't see anyone (maybe Anderson Silva as i said earlier) beating him, just too quick and elusive

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:02 am
migya wrote:Just saw UFC 98 and thought Serra and Hughes fight was very close and maybe Serra had that third round, as he got on top with about 30secs left and smacked away real well, connecting with about three or four hits, while hughes, though on top for a good two minutes in that third round, did nothing with it.

Machida was awesome beating Rashard Evans, real quick and accurate. Machida is so different that I don't see anyone (maybe Anderson Silva as i said earlier) beating him, just too quick and elusive

Machida is all sorts off odd for a UFC fighter. That Karate lean back that he does throws people. His head is so far back so real hard to hit. He's wicked to watch though. Very Smart

Good to see Velasquez win again, against quality opposition. That kid's a fkn beast
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:06 am
Quazza wrote:
migya wrote:Just saw UFC 98 and thought Serra and Hughes fight was very close and maybe Serra had that third round, as he got on top with about 30secs left and smacked away real well, connecting with about three or four hits, while hughes, though on top for a good two minutes in that third round, did nothing with it.

Machida is all sorts off odd for a UFC fighter. That Karate lean back that he does throws people. His head is so far back so real hard to hit. He's wicked to watch though. Very Smart

Good to see Velasquez win again, against quality opposition. That kid's a fkn beast

Machida does it with kicks first. Fast, hard "foot" kicks, karate type, not muay thai type and it really makes it hard to hit him and hard to avoid getting hit. Evans has great footwork and got out of the way of many kicks, but even he got caught and in not much time either.

Haven't seen Velasquez yet, will look him up

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:09 am
migya wrote:
Quazza wrote:

Machida does it with kicks first. Fast, hard "foot" kicks, karate type, not muay thai type and it really makes it hard to hit him and hard to avoid getting hit. Evans has great footwork and got out of the way of many kicks, but even he got caught and in not much time either.

Haven't seen Velasquez yet, will look him up

beat Kongo unanimously in the last UFC. Got rocked real early then dominated. Hasn't lost yet. Is a wrestler who's learning to punch. Hard
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:02 pm
UFC 100 is tonight!!!! Some really good matchups tonight. I hope Dan Henderson destroys Bisping. I'm not a fan of Alves or GSP but i hate GSP more, Go Thiago! As for the main event, I hope Mir tears apart Lesnar.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:54 pm
I'm with you on everything except the last one. I want Lesnar. Lesnar was tearing him up first time, but then he got caught up thanks to Mir's superb BJJ skills.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board