Boxing Fans?

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:57 pm
xbay wrote:Guess who's back... yep, Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr. is back. He's going to fight Juan Manuel Marquez in July I think. If this move proves anything, it's that this is a warm up match for Mayweather, although Marquez isn't really the type of guy you'd want to warm up again. Then, the winner of Pacquiao/Hatton will be Mayweather's next opponent.

A boxing playoff?... this can certainly play like one. the sport needs it. The winner of tonights fight should play the winner of the Mayweather fight in November or December. Oh wouldn't that be sweet.

BTW, even if it doesnt happen, this fight tonigh will be fun to watch as well.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:23 am
HAND DOWN... MANNY ANNIHILATED HATTON... i did wish the fight lasted a little longer to equal the 50 price tag to watch the fight. But those 3 knockdowns were crazy especially the One hitter quitter. As much as i loved the KO, i was hoping that Hatton was ok because he didnt look good after taking that last blow
THATS OUR FUTURE RIGHT THERE
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:58 am
RUN HOME JACK wrote:HAND DOWN... MANNY ANNIHILATED HATTON... i did wish the fight lasted a little longer to equal the 50 price tag to watch the fight. But those 3 knockdowns were crazy especially the One hitter quitter. As much as i loved the KO, i was hoping that Hatton was ok because he didnt look good after taking that last blow

Yes sir. To be honest, going into this fight I felt a bit nervous because Manny did have a fair chance at losing. But after that first knockdown, which came to a surprise to me, I let out a huge sigh of relief. Those three knockdowns were killer. The third one, being the one hit KO, was the sickest. I wish the fight was longer, but I'm definitely proud of Manny.

Also, the reason Hatton loss is because HE PLAYED NO DEFENSE! His guard was down like 99% of the time. He never blocked any of Manny's punches. Now I know Pacman is fast, but c'mon. You can't leave you're guard down over 90% of the match! That's why Manny won. Hatton was stupid, and Pacman took advantage of it. But yeah, I was sorta worried for Hatton. He was in la-la land after that final punch and when the camera shifted to his wife(who looked pretty fine BTW), she was very worried. She shook for a quick second because she looked scared.

Next up... the winner of Mayweather/Marquez.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:41 pm
xbay wrote:Next up... the winner of Mayweather/Marquez.

Not so fast, my friend (to quote lee corso)

Although i said 24 hours earlier how great this would be, and u did too, from what i am getting from Mayweather reports is that he wants NOTHING to do with Paquiao... at least not yet. Mayweather has said he is going to play Marquez and then somehow try to convince Golden Boy to come out of retirement. and THEN see from there about fighting Paquiao.

Mayweather supposedly is in debt, so he isnt ruling out fighting multiple fights. Marquez is a pretty good fighter, and could go the distance over Mayweather... then again, people were saying that about Hatten yesterday.

NOTE: although Mayweather vs Marquez seems to be set in stone (July 18), i wouldnt be surprise if the fight is delayed, if not canceled. There is already controversy amongst the fight weight totals. DLH wants a max 143lbs limit (as he does not want to force lighter Marquez to climb too high in weight), and Mayweather is already insisting he will fight at "about" 147lbs... Oh jeez.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:32 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
xbay wrote:Next up... the winner of Mayweather/Marquez.

Not so fast, my friend (to quote lee corso)

Although i said 24 hours earlier how great this would be, and u did too, from what i am getting from Mayweather reports is that he wants NOTHING to do with Paquiao... at least not yet. Mayweather has said he is going to play Marquez and then somehow try to convince Golden Boy to come out of retirement. and THEN see from there about fighting Paquiao.

Mayweather supposedly is in debt, so he isnt ruling out fighting multiple fights. Marquez is a pretty good fighter, and could go the distance over Mayweather... then again, people were saying that about Hatten yesterday.

NOTE: although Mayweather vs Marquez seems to be set in stone (July 18), i wouldnt be surprise if the fight is delayed, if not canceled. There is already controversy amongst the fight weight totals. DLH wants a max 143lbs limit (as he does not want to force lighter Marquez to climb too high in weight), and Mayweather is already insisting he will fight at "about" 147lbs... Oh jeez.

Really? That's lame. I'm really hoping Pacquiao's next match is against Mayweather. Although, I'll admit a fight against Edwin Valero would be interesting. Too bad he's banned from the US for another 7 months or so.

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:28 am
LONG LIVE MANNY! that's all I gotta say.

i caught a quick glimpse of one of the undercard fights w/ soto. it was kinda boring. also, did hatton's bro fight in an undercard? cause i was watchin that pacquiao/hatton 24/7... and it showed him trainin and i thought i heard somethin about him fightin.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:11 pm
Hey, guys, been out for a while, but I just gotta chime in a bit.

Hatton fought the same way like he always has. You don’t go 44-1 w/ 31 KOs without being a great fighter and champion. It looked like he was getting hit at will because Manny (having much faster hand-speed) countered his shots—by that, I mean Manny threw a right hook over Hatton’s jab. A fighter is vulnerable when he’s throwing a punch because he’s temporarily committed to the punch and cannot dodge a well-timed counter-punch. You can’t do this effectively from a conventional stance, not following a jab, because the right has to travel a greater distance, giving time for the opponent to dodge it and counter with a left hook.

Anyhow, this was a new weapon for Manny, as I never seen him do this. His right, in the past, has been almost always a jab from a distance. Freddy Roach was great in developing this counter right hook for Manny from his southpaw stance. Manny timed this perfectly, especially when Hatton was coming in. Just when Hatton started to look for the counter right, Manny feints and BOOM, unloads a sneaky left which came from Mindanao, blowing Hatton’s head off. :)

And how about that Mayweather Sr. claiming he’s the best trainer and taunting Freddy Roach. What a complete fool!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:30 pm
CjR, glad to hear from you!

Well, if there's one thing that separates Roach and Mayweather Sr., it's that Roach lets his training do the talking, keeps his mouth shut, and keeps Pacquiao focused while Mayweather Sr. runs his mouth and likes to get off focus from time to time.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:07 am
What up, X-Bay, and thanks!

Yeah, Mayweather Sr. was just talking too much smack. I like Roger Mayweather much better. Not sure what Sr. wanted to prove because Freddie Roach has trained some of the greats like Tyson, Bernard Hopkins, James Toney, etc. I do like the addition of Michael Moorer as the Chief Asst. Trainer. He’s also a southpaw and was a very good boxer and champion. He was trained by Teddy Atlas (who also trained Tyson) and Emanuel Steward, so he brings a lot to the table.

Too bad Freddie is kinda slowing down a bit due to his illness.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:16 pm
Yeah, who's his assistant? I've seen him a couple times around Freddie. He helps Freddie train Pacquiao since Roach has the illness and all. Do you know him?
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:00 pm
Wow Arturo Gatti was found dead in a hotel room in brazil..... crazy stuff going on
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:15 am
Apparently, the police have accused his wife of murdering him. Not sure exactly what happened, but I remember reading that she strangled him with a purse strap or something like that. But there has to be more than that. I mean, Arturo is a strong guy. He should of easily fought her off of choking him. There must be more to how she killed him.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:30 pm
Mayweather won last night, for those who were wondering. It was "extremely one-sided" as they described. Money man Floyd picked Marquez apart with his jabs. I think I saw Marquez win the 3rd and 4th round on the final scorecards, but other than that... he never had control of the match. But for some reason... Mayweather could not or would not knock Marquez out.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:08 pm
I would post on the pacman vs. cotto thread, but I'm superstitious, so I'll post here.

Anyhow, I'm so freakin' dissapointed not to be able to watch Manny's biggest fight live since I will be traveling that day. If they have it in-flight on Japan Air Lines, that would be the only way--and I'll pay whatever.

I, again, think that Manny's speed and southpaw stance will be the deciding factor over Cotto. I think Manny will floor him early and take him out late.

Go Manny!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:44 am
Wow, you were spot on CjR! Manny knocked him twice in the 4th round and later on in another round as well, if my memory is correct. Seriously, other than the first and maybe I think third round, Manny completely dominated that fight. Not only did he take every punch Cotto landed, but his speed completely overwhelmed Cotto.

I liked Pacquiao's response to the question of who'd he like to fight next, in which he replied... it's the promoter who makes the fights, I'm just the fighter. I'm gonna go on vacation. Then, Roach responds it with... if Mayweather wants to fight, I want Pacquiao to fight him too.

It really will be interesting to see what transpires in the next months in figuring out what's next for Pacquiao.
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board