3 team trade: GSW / UTAH / PHX

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:34 pm
Hey so for the last few days I've been thinking about ways for us to get Amare and keep Biedrins, because Amare is more comfortable at PF and Biedrins is a great guy to have on the team. A potential opportunity presented itself in the form of the Jazz not having enough money to extend Millsap and hold onto AK and Boozer. Ric Bucher speculates that Boozer is the likeliest candidate to be traded, and I figure he is a legit PF -- if a bit past his prime and injury-prone. So I'll go ahead and cut to the chase.

The Proposal

Golden St.
  • Outgoing: Belinelli, Curry, Maggette, Turiaf, Wright
  • Incoming: Stoudemire, Fesenko

Phoenix
  • Outgoing: Amare
  • Incoming: Boozer, Curry, Wright

Utah
  • Outgoing: Boozer, Fesenko
  • Incoming: Belinelli, Maggette, Turiaf

According to RealGM's trade checker, this works financially. (link)

The Reasoning

Golden St. ~ We get to bring in Amare without giving up Biedrins, and we get to dump Maggette's contract to boot. The only downsides are losing Turiaf and Curry, but really they're well worth it. Curry is 100% potential at this point and the fact is this trade is virtually impossible without giving him up to Phoenix. After this trade, we are locked up at C and PF with Biedrins, Amare, and AR. We clear up the logjam on the perimeter, with only Jackson, Azubuike, and Morrow as the remaining wings. At guard, we have Monta, Law, and Watson. This is a potential weak area, since Monta will probably be forced to run the point if Law can't step up, and that would leave us somewhat weak at SG/SF. Ideally we bring in Sessions or Jack for the MLE which allows us to have a legit fulltime PG, meaning Monta can help fill the hole at SG and have limited minutes at the 1.

Overall we would have a very strong young frontcourt, a few solid wings, and if we could pick up Sessions, we'd have virtually all the keys to making a deep playoff run.

Phoenix ~ It seems Amare is awkwardly standing in the doorway with one foot out and one foot in. If they ship him, they need a legit big man to replace him. Boozer provides that insurance better than Biedrins can, at least in the short term. They may want to restructure his contract before the trade, which could be a snag. It is certainly understandable why Biedrins is a more ideal pick-up than Boozer in some senses: he is younger, cheaper, and less injury-prone. However, Boozer is a proven difference-maker inside, and his playing style suits the Suns' system better than Biedrins's style would IMO. The real reason the Suns take this trade though is the fact that we throw in Curry. It's no secret that they want him, and for what we're getting it's worth giving him up easily.

The big question with this trade proposal is, would Phoenix take Boozer if it meant not getting Biedrins? If they get Curry for it, I think the answer is yes. They also get some insurance in Wright, who actually produces quite consistently and whose numbers are pretty solid -- not to mention his pure potential. The Suns are intrigued by Wright, they get a solid, proven vet in Boozer, and best of all they get their guy in Curry.

Utah ~ As I mentioned in the introduction, Ric Bucher has reported that it is very unlikely that Millsap, Kirilenko, and Boozer will all be able to stay in Utah considering the money all three are getting [going to get]. Bucher believes Boozer is the likeliest candidate to leave, and I think he is the best fit for this deal since Millsap is all but off the table... I have seen several Jazz fans who were interested in a Mags for Boozer trade, and they proposed Turiaf/Maggs for Boozer/Fesenko. That's basically what they're getting here, only we're throwing in Belinelli as well (even though fans generally know a good deal when they see one, I'm not sure if the Jazz FO would be supremely eager to take Maggette's contract, even though they could use his skillset). Turiaf is a great energy player to help fill the shoes of Boozer. Belinelli is an intriguing guy who could work well with Deron Williams as a role player.

Overall I think this trade leaves all sides relatively satisfied and it works financially. Let me know any criticisms, questions, comments, etc.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:01 pm
What Phoenix wants is young talent that is relatively cheap so they can rebuild with. Boozer for one year is the last thing they want. Best thing for us is to offer up Monta instead of Biedrins if Amare really has an issue with being the Center.

Worth a try though this trade, gets rid of Maggette and that's nice

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:28 am
migya wrote:What Phoenix wants is young talent that is relatively cheap so they can rebuild with. Boozer for one year is the last thing they want. Best thing for us is to offer up Monta instead of Biedrins if Amare really has an issue with being the Center.

actually boozer for one year wouldnt be bad for phoenix considering they can enter the 2010 free agent sweepstakes once his contract expires.

and i highly doubt that switching monta and biedrins in the trade would appeal to phoenix at all. they would be left with no bigs really.

as for the trade that this thread is about...i really dont like it for the simple fact that it completely guts our team and would not appeal to Amare at all. we're shipping 5 people for 2 and not getting much under the cap to sign roster replacements.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:11 am
E-Man wrote:
migya wrote:What Phoenix wants is young talent that is relatively cheap so they can rebuild with. Boozer for one year is the last thing they want. Best thing for us is to offer up Monta instead of Biedrins if Amare really has an issue with being the Center.

actually boozer for one year wouldnt be bad for phoenix considering they can enter the 2010 free agent sweepstakes once his contract expires.

and i highly doubt that switching monta and biedrins in the trade would appeal to phoenix at all. they would be left with no bigs really.

as for the trade that this thread is about...i really dont like it for the simple fact that it completely guts our team and would not appeal to Amare at all. we're shipping 5 people for 2 and not getting much under the cap to sign roster replacements.

Maybe Phoenix does want to be a player in next year's free agency and they have always been regarded as one of the most attractive franchises to play for, but I think they want young talent for Amare and try to transition without being awful. Biedrins must be very appealing to them as he is still very young and is a Center, one that is paid reasonably

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:01 pm
migya wrote:
E-Man wrote:

Maybe Phoenix does want to be a player in next year's free agency and they have always been regarded as one of the most attractive franchises to play for, but I think they want young talent for Amare and try to transition without being awful. Biedrins must be very appealing to them as he is still very young and is a Center, one that is paid reasonably

that's true, which is why i think they wouldnt do the deal if it was monta instead of biedrins. and boozer wouldnt make them a horrible team...just not a contending team. if they are willing to rent boozer for a season then it would be a good investment. but if not, then their deal with us is probably the best offer they'll get.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:13 pm
Why don't you think that would appeal to Amare? He'd get to play PF, whereas if we do through with the original trade he'd have to play C which he is clearly against. He'd still be surrounded by a lo of talent and pretty much every relevant player would be retained.

PG: Monta / Law
SG: Jackson / Morrow
SF: Azubuike / Randolph
PF: Amare / Randolph
C: Biedrins / Fesenko

Ideally we would pick up Sessions for the MLE which would give us a complete team, but even if that didn't happen that's still a very solid and well-rounded starting 5 with AR and Morrow coming off the bench.

We'd pretty much have to use the MLE to pick up someone(s) because that line-up is not very deep. However, it is young, talented, and well-rounded. I don't see why Amare would be any less willing to play for that team than for the same team without Biedrins but with Maggette and Turiaf.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:49 pm
E-Man wrote:
migya wrote:
E-Man wrote:

that's true, which is why i think they wouldnt do the deal if it was monta instead of biedrins. and boozer wouldnt make them a horrible team...just not a contending team. if they are willing to rent boozer for a season then it would be a good investment. but if not, then their deal with us is probably the best offer they'll get.

Yea, our deal likely is the best they'll get and really, it surprises me a fair bit as Amare is an absolute elite player, has been for a long time. The fact he has only one season left on his contract has to be what is scaring teams of above all else

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:51 pm
D4rk 0ne wrote:Why don't you think that would appeal to Amare? He'd get to play PF, whereas if we do through with the original trade he'd have to play C which he is clearly against. He'd still be surrounded by a lo of talent and pretty much every relevant player would be retained.

PG: Monta / Law
SG: Jackson / Morrow
SF: Azubuike / Randolph
PF: Amare / Randolph
C: Biedrins / Fesenko

Ideally we would pick up Sessions for the MLE which would give us a complete team, but even if that didn't happen that's still a very solid and well-rounded starting 5 with AR and Morrow coming off the bench.

We'd pretty much have to use the MLE to pick up someone(s) because that line-up is not very deep. However, it is young, talented, and well-rounded. I don't see why Amare would be any less willing to play for that team than for the same team without Biedrins but with Maggette and Turiaf.

That would appeal to Amare more I think, but not to Phoenix :wink:

They would want Biedrins, as he is a good, upandcoming Center and they are harder to get than young guards

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:36 pm
D4rk 0ne wrote:Why don't you think that would appeal to Amare? He'd get to play PF, whereas if we do through with the original trade he'd have to play C which he is clearly against. He'd still be surrounded by a lo of talent and pretty much every relevant player would be retained.

my fault...i was replying with the assumption that none of the teams involved would do the trade (except the warriors) unless SOMEONE got biedrins or monta out of the deal. which really i dont think they would. no team is gonna make a trade that completely stacks our team while theirs stays mediocre or gets worse even. theres no way the jazz AND suns would agree to this trade if it allows us to have the starting lineup of monta, jackson, buike/randolph, amare, and biedrins...especially being in the same conference (same division for the suns).

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:42 am
E-Man wrote:

my fault...i was replying with the assumption that none of the teams involved would do the trade (except the warriors) unless SOMEONE got biedrins or monta out of the deal. which really i dont think they would. no team is gonna make a trade that completely stacks our team while theirs stays mediocre or gets worse even. theres no way the jazz AND suns would agree to this trade if it allows us to have the starting lineup of monta, jackson, buike/randolph, amare, and biedrins...especially being in the same conference (same division for the suns).

You'll be surprised, teams usually don't care so much what the other team's roster is going to be like, just what there's is going to be like, like cutting pay roll and/or being able to keep a key player that can replace the one being traded. With Utah, they could opt to keep Millsap and trade Boozer for a guy like Maggette and someone else, giving them a better team as Millsap replaces Boozer and Maggette would be their best sG if they wanted him there

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:02 pm
migya wrote:
E-Man wrote:

You'll be surprised, teams usually don't care so much what the other team's roster is going to be like, just what there's is going to be like, like cutting pay roll and/or being able to keep a key player that can replace the one being traded. With Utah, they could opt to keep Millsap and trade Boozer for a guy like Maggette and someone else, giving them a better team as Millsap replaces Boozer and Maggette would be their best sG if they wanted him there

but with phoenix, they wont be getting any staple player that they can build around. yeah they would get cap space at the end of the season, but like i said, that is only if theyre willing to rent boozer for a year and have a chance at a big name in 2010. in a 3-way deal, it only takes one team to say no, one team to feel like theyre getting ripped off, one team to feel like "wait this team is getting hella good and we're gonna be trash"....that's all it takes for that deal to be nixed.

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:39 pm
would love to trade Ellis instead of Biedrins for Stoudemire or Bosh.

we have too much talent at SG with Azu/Beli/Morrow to not consider trading the 1-dimensional Ellis. people talk about Amare's "risks" but look at Ellis who was injured + attitude antics.
I'd even trade Ellis for Baron Davis straight up.

BD/Beli/S Jax/AR/Biedrins

thats a better team than we have now.
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:30 pm
GSW2006 wrote:would love to trade Ellis instead of Biedrins for Stoudemire or Bosh.

we have too much talent at SG with Azu/Beli/Morrow to not consider trading the 1-dimensional Ellis. people talk about Amare's "risks" but look at Ellis who was injured + attitude antics.
I'd even trade Ellis for Baron Davis straight up.

BD/Beli/S Jax/AR/Biedrins

thats a better team than we have now.

no thanks...we'll have no true pg...if we had a guy like steve blake or luke ridnour on the bench to relieve monta and play alongside, then i'd consider, but we need baron...mike taylor looked fantastic last year, but he's a scoring PG...we need to add a backup still...
Last edited by ClipperGM on Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:31 pm
ESPN: Bulls might get Boozer.

boozer to bulls

hinrick to blazers

ty thomas to jazz

all with little fillers here and there, but this is the meat/potatoes of the deal that is currently being discussed...bulls would be really good, i think...
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:06 pm
all of yall keep throwing out monta and maggs like they are just a waste of money. They are the two most efficient scoring guards on our team. and while they both can't play D or pass very well, they're both average rebounders (for their size) and have unique talents on offense.

Monta's one of the best "pull up" artists out there. nobody on the this team even comes close in the ability monta has to drive hard, stop on a dime and hit a jumper in your face.

Maggs, while overpriced, can get people to foul him. think about it, who else on our team besides possibly monta, can consistently do that? Assuming we have enough healthy players to stay in the game in the 4th quarter, his ability to foul out key players on the other team is crucial for success. I don't know about you, but I got sick and tired of the pusssy, non-physical, play that would always show up late in the game during the Baron era.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Next

Return to Trades