*OFFICIAL 2009 Free Agent and Trade Movement Thread*

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:12 pm
I thought it might be a good idea to keep all of the FA signings and news that will be going on around the league in one thread. If this is a ridiculous idea then feel free to make a new thread for each one hahaha I know I am new here.... :bday:

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:33 pm
Hot off the presses:

A source told Ken Berger that he believes David Lee's days as a Knick are over. Agent Mark Bartelstein will reportedly have Lee sign an offer sheet with the Grizzlies or Thunder that the Knicks will not be willing to match.

"It's a tough loss for New York, but they don't want to screw up their 2010 plan," the source said.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...38893/15822306
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:16 pm
Great idea, Tarantism. I'm thinking of stickying this since and make this the OFFICIAL free agency thread.

As for starters, the Knicks are going to miss Lee. They should be happy the Warriors took Curry and Hill wasn't picked before they did. Cause now they have his replacement.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:49 pm
Hahaha nice! Official now! :)

More rumors that I just picked up before crashing for the night (gotta get up and run @ 6 to beat the heat):

The Rockets could provide the Knicks with some additional 2010 cap space by taking on Eddy Curry.

Daryl Morey, according to a source, would be interested in discussing a Tracy McGrady for Curry ($10.5M) and Cuttino Mobely ($9M, 80 percent) swap.

I will admit that I am a D'Antoni fan, and it seems like they have made sensible roster moves thus far with him and their GM (forgot his name) running the show. They will be hit by losing Lee, but I think overall he was a hustle player and as xbay pointed out they probably have a solid contingency plan in Jordan Hill.

In even more Knicks news...I read yesterday I think that they will be looking to keep N. Robinson at a good price, and that Robinson actually might be interested in signing a cheap one year deal with them, sighting that the economy hopefully will improve enough by 2010 for a FA of his caliber to ask for a bit more cheddar.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:08 pm
What the Knicks still don't get is that they have a better chance of luring LeBron if they keep players like David Lee.

LeBron will ask for some help to win, he won't join a team with a weak roster just because they can offer him max money. He'll do it to win. And you can't win much without the right players...

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:29 pm
TMC wrote:What the Knicks still don't get is that they have a better chance of luring LeBron if they keep players like David Lee.

LeBron will ask for some help to win, he won't join a team with a weak roster just because they can offer him max money. He'll do it to win. And you can't win much without the right players...

so humor me here.........

i wonder what lebron would think of playing with curry, ellis, and randolph in 2011. maybe even toss in a biedrins/turiaf combo.....he's said he'd love to play with curry. 2 years AR will be a stud. monta may be an all star. together, this team could gel.

so yeah, why in the hell would he want to play here...nelson will be gone. that's a plus. we could hire mike brown after they let him go in cleveland for letting lebron get away.

he likes a challenge. taking one of the worst franchises in the NBA and resurrecting it, that's a challenge. like no other. he will be a god here, joe montana status, if he could pull that off.

he wants to own the asian market with his brand, we'll we've got your gateway to the asian market. one team for the entire bay area. sixth largest metropolitan area in the US, with over 7 million people. with the most loyal fans in the NBA.

we hate LA. lebron vs. kobe. :)

ok, i needed something to give me wishful thinking after amare.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:04 am
Pistons looking to make deals:

Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva flew to Detroit on Wednesday morning for a meeting with Pistons president Joe Dumars. Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports is reporting that the pair are "moving rapidly toward deals" with the club.
Both Gordon and Villaneuva are unrestricted free agents, meaning that they are free to sign with any team they wish without Chicago and Milwaukee respectively having any say.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:10 am
Kobe expected to sign an extension? Good for him haha.

Bryant had until the end of Tuesday to inform the Lakers he was terminating the final two years of his contract and becoming an unrestricted free agent, but the team hadn't received any notification as of late Tuesday night from the NBA Finals MVP.

Instead, Bryant is expected to sign a three-year extension worth an estimated $85 million on top of his existing two-year contract later this month, according to the Los Angeles Times. Bryant's agent, Rob Pelinka, did not return a voice message seeking confirmation.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:15 am
Portland offers Hedo 10 mil/year:

Determined to make the first splash of the NBA's free-agent negotiating period early Wednesday, the Portland Trail Blazers are making a strong push to sign Hedo Turkoglu, the prized free agent of the summer.

While negotiations across the league were in the early stages, a person with knowledge of the discussions said the Blazers are trying to lure Turkoglu with a deal in the $50-million range. Contracts cannot be signed until July 7, when the annual moratorium on signing and trading players is lifted.

Other teams expected to make a play for Turkoglu, who earned a huge pay day by helping Orlando get to the NBA Finals, were Toronto, Detroit, and Sacramento. The Magic, who acquired Vince Carter from the Nets on the belief that they could not retain Turkoglu, are not expected to be a factor in a situation that involves Turkoglu getting $10 million a year

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:33 am
LeBron James to move to PF?

The Cavaliers will search for a tall wing this summer that will allow LeBron James shift to the power forward position.

Potential candidates include veterans such as Grant Hill, Anthony Parker, Marquis Daniels, Josh Childress and Matt Barnes.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:36 am
Tarantism wrote:LeBron James to move to PF?

The Cavaliers will search for a tall wing this summer that will allow LeBron James shift to the power forward position.

Potential candidates include veterans such as Grant Hill, Anthony Parker, Marquis Daniels, Josh Childress and Matt Barnes.

not a good idea. while his size makes him a freak on the wing....he would get beat up playing against PFs every night.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:53 am
some rumors via realGM

Mavs Prepared To Offer Kidd $8M Per Year
Mavericks owner Mark Cuban planned to meet with Jason Kidd at midnight on Tuesday in New York City.

The New York Daily News wrote early Wednesday that "the Mavs will offer Kidd a contract starting at $8 million per over two years with an option for a third."

The Knicks are interested in Kidd as well, but can only offer him the $5.8 million mid-level exception unless they negotiate a sign-and-trade with Dallas.

Source: Knicks Will Offer Lee $32M Over Four Years
A team source told the New York Daily News that the Knicks will offer David Lee a four-year deal worth $32 million.

Lee, a restricted free agent, is believed to be seeking $10 million per year.

The Knicks want to retain Lee, but are also trying to preserve financial flexibility for the summer of 2010.

"There's no question he'd love to stay in New York," agent Mark Bartelstein said Tuesday. "But you are only a free agent so many times in our career, especially in the prime of your career."

Thunder Preparing Offer For Millsap
The Oklahoma City Thunder are expected to offer a lucrative offer sheet to Paul Millsap that will be problematic for Utah to match.

The Jazz are projected to be some $3 million into luxury-tax territory next season before even accounting for Millsap, after Carlos Boozer, Mehmet Okur and Kyle Korver all declined their opportunity this week to become unrestricted free agents.

Roy And Aldridge Receive First Extension Calls From Pritchard
Blazers GM Kevin Pritchard said he first contacted Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge, who both are seeking contract extensions with the Blazers, before inquiring about Hedo Turkoglu.

RealGM Note: Roy is all but assured of receiving a maximum contract, while Aldridge's situation will likely involve more negotiation.

Mavs, Pacers, Knicks Join Rockets In Pursuit Of Gortat
Marcin Gortat met with Daryl Morey just after midnight on Wednesday and the Knicks, Mavericks and Pacers are also interested in the big man's services.

"Powerball winner," was how one Eastern Conference executive described Gortat.

List Of Sheed's Suitors: Celtics, Cavs, Spurs, Nuggets
Rasheed Wallace’s camp was expecting calls early Wednesday from the Celtics, Cavaliers, and Spurs, among others, including Denver.

Kevin Garnett, a league source confirmed, was working behind the scenes to recruit Wallace to Boston.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:51 am
TMC wrote:What the Knicks still don't get is that they have a better chance of luring LeBron if they keep players like David Lee.

I agree with you bud, makes no sense for them to make all these sacrifices (although they havnt really made any real sacrifices so far apart from Lee) and then have "only" money to offer LeBron.

I mean, theres already the grumblings of whether LeBron can lead a team to a title.........so lets say he doesnt win one in the next 2 years, is he really going to want to go somewhere and basically start again?

ALTHOUGH..........the Knicks are positioning themselves to not just offer LeBron a max deal but also to offer Wade or Bosh or someone of similar stature aswell.

I dont think they would mortgage the next 2 years (and last year) plus all these players, JUST to get LeBron.............they are going to go for more to surround LeBron with.

Ps: Nice idea on the thread Tarantism, will keep everything nice and tidy hopefully.

And also Xbay for putting his sticky stuff all over it...........hes done it to me a couple of times, dont worry Tarantism youll be able to wash out of your hair after a few rinses :wink: (wow, Im making insinuations about JIZM, talking to a guy call TaranTISM :mrgreen:)
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm
bigstrads wrote:

I agree with you bud, makes no sense for them to make all these sacrifices (although they havnt really made any real sacrifices so far apart from Lee) and then have "only" money to offer LeBron.

I mean, theres already the grumblings of whether LeBron can lead a team to a title.........so lets say he doesnt win one in the next 2 years, is he really going to want to go somewhere and basically start again?

ALTHOUGH..........the Knicks are positioning themselves to not just offer LeBron a max deal but also to offer Wade or Bosh or someone of similar stature aswell.

I dont think they would mortgage the next 2 years (and last year) plus all these players, JUST to get LeBron.............they are going to go for more to surround LeBron with.

What I think will happen, and this is just a personal opinion, is that Lebron will stay at Cleveland and Bosh (or Amare as their second option) will sign there to play with him. Wade will stay at Miami. And NY is taking a big risk mortgaging their future just for the hope of luring LeBron.

Get some talent, leave enough cap room for a max contract and then you'll have a chance. If not, we'll know he's going there for the endorsements, not the chance at winning anything.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:42 pm
Sources say Toronto is preparing an offer of five years and $60 million for Turkoglu. Meanwhile, Dwight Howard, the star of his former team - Orlando - reportedly made a call to Turkoglu on Tuesday night to express his desire for him to re-sign with the Magic.

However, in order for Toronto to clear enough money to sign Turkoglu to the five-year, $60 million deal, it would have to renounce the contracts of Shawn Marion, Anthony Parker, Carlos Delfino, Patrick O'Bryant and Quincy Douby. The team is leery of taking that path, having that same tactic backfire last season when it created room for the arrival of Jermaine O'Neal.

And so the overbidding for Turboglue begins. Personally I don't see him as worth that much...but meh. The Raptors really need to add a marquee player and then some success in order to have any hope of keeping Bosh past this coming season, so it makes sense for them to start getting desperate to sign big names.
Next

Return to NBA Forum