A Look Back at the Draft

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:50 pm
I think we picked the right guy with our pick, but we have threads discussing this. This is a thread to discuss other teams picks. Which teams did a good job improving in the draft process? Which teams did poorly?

Good drafts:
Wizards - This team underachieved a lot last year and was a mess after their weak start and coach was fired. The number 5 pick would not have given them much to help and they were able to get rid of some bad contracts as well as add 2 good offensive players. They will be back in the playoffs next year and could finally get past the first round.

Clippers - Got the best player in the draft. Nothing bad can be said about them.

Thunder - They got Harden, probably the best SG in the draft, to fill out the rest of their back court and got probably the second best center in the draft, who could very well turn out to be a better all around player than Thabeet. The combination of Harden and Durant could create lots of matchup problems in the future

Sixers - Great value pick, getting Holliday at #17, especially since they will probably be losing Andre Miller.

Spurs - Although I don't think Blair will be successful on just any team and has some health concerns, he is a hard worker and was a great value pick for San Antonio. He will make this team and contribute some good minutes on this team.

Nuggets - They picked up Lawson who should be a very good fit in this system. Coming off the bench he will make this team even more dynamic. Having him learn the PG position from Billups makes this a very good pick for the present and future.

Bad Drafts:
Pistons - I think Austin Daye was a huge reach at 15, and could very well be a huge bust. The other guys they got play the same position and neither look like they will have an impact in the NBA

Timberwolves: I like the pick of Flynn, but not right after Rubio. If they can get a good center or SG for Rubio their draft will look better, but really? Both of these guys are PGs and cannot play SG. They could have gotten Curry, who can at least play either position (glad they didn't). Then they drafted 2 more PGs! Ellington is a good shooter, but I don't think he's a starting SG in the NBA. They traded Lawson, but still. If you have 4 first round picks you need to address more needs than PG.

Chicago : They picked up a 22 year old and a 24 year old, both of which have not developed NBA game yet. Neither of these guys will be an upgrade at PF from what they have.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:58 am
Dr. Spaceman wrote:Timberwolves: I like the pick of Flynn, but not right after Rubio. If they can get a good center or SG for Rubio their draft will look better, but really? Both of these guys are PGs and cannot play SG. They could have gotten Curry, who can at least play either position (glad they didn't). Then they drafted 2 more PGs! Ellington is a good shooter, but I don't think he's a starting SG in the NBA. They traded Lawson, but still. If you have 4 first round picks you need to address more needs than PG.

The TWolves' biggest weakness was actually PG, as Telfair was good every 10 games if that and Foye was probably seen as a sG, though I think he did well as their PG last season. That trade with the Wiz was somewhat stupid, but that's unless they can trade at least two of the three PGs they drafted in the lottery.

This could turn out well for them. I think they think Rubio might not come to the nba just yet and so they picked Flynn as insurance. They do need a SF, as neither Brewer, nor Gomes seems to be good enough to start, though Gomes is a very good role player.

They need to make a trade for another quality big, like Camby and the Clips need a PG, as Baron seems out of favour, so they could get Camby for one of the first two picked PGs or maybe even one of the later picked ones

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:11 am
Big winners:

San Antonio.- They had no first round picks and still got a lottery talent in DeJuan Blair (with no risk involved. If his knees are as bad as they seem to be, his contract won't be guaranteed. In any other case, he's the steal of the draft) and Jack McClinton (a guy I considered a sleeper even before the draft) and a third guy I never seen play, so I'm not gonna comment on him. That's a pretty big bounty for a team with no first rounders.

Philly.- Jrue Holiday falling that far was a bit weird, but a blessing for the Sixers. Now they can re-sign Andre Miller and let Holiday be his backup and learn from him for a few years and then he'll be ready to take over at PG.

Clippers.- Got the best player (and only sure pick) of the draft. Props to the Clips for not botching the pick, something that's easier said than done in Clipperland.

Nuggets.- They had no picks and still ended with Lawson for a future pick that wasn't even theird. Great move by Denver, who now has a real backup for Billups and someone to groom to be their future PG.

Warriors.- We got the best available player. That's the definition of a successful draft, if you ask me.

Hawks.- Don't know why, but I love the Hawks' pick of Jeff Teague.

On the fence:

Thunder.- Seems like a good draft on paper, but passing on Rubio just to appease Westbrook might hurt on the long run. Also, I'm sure Harden will help, but his upside is not as high as some other players that were available. Oh, and I don't expect that much from Mullens.

Wizards.- I loved the trade when it took place... but I'm sure the Wizards didn't expect Rubio to fall to #5. Now, only time will tell if it was a good move or not.

Pistons.- Austin Day has a lot of talent, and DaJuan Summers was a good pick in the second, but there a lot of question marks regarding those two. Again, we'll need time to truly measure this Piston's draft.

Minny.- I like Ellington, I like Flynn (although I think #6 is a bit too high for him) and I love Rubio's potential... but it's still all undecided regarding Rubio joining the team (or being traded) and how Flynn and him will play together (in case Minny keeps both). Weird draft, to say the least, but one that ultimately will be labeled as great or a total disaster.

Sucked:

Chicago.- James Johnson was a bit of a reach. I think he can be a solid bench option, but that's it. And Taj Gibson was a MAJOR reach, a guy that lacks upside and who's gonna have trouble against the strongest inside guys of the league. Awful, awful draft.

Grizzlies.- Thabeet looks like the closest thing to a BUST I've seen in years. He'll be a good (or maybe even great) shot-blocker, but I doubt he'll be able to make any more impact in the NBA. And, in that case, you've drafted Adonal Foyle with the #2 pick. Their second first rounder, Carroll, was also a reach, as he would have been there by their second round pick. And I don't think he's gonna add more than, say, Darrell Arthur adds to the Grizzlies. I like Sam Young, tho, but he's not enough to save the Grizzlies dreadful draft.

Portland.- I still haven't seen anything from Claver that makes me believe he'll be able to make it in the NBA. He's... quick for a big man, but that's basically his only good trait. He's not ready to play in the NBA and won't be for a few years, if ever. Add to that they've trade up to grab him and it's a pretty weird pick by Pritchard, who had had good drafts til this year. I like Mills where they got him, tho, but he's just a project.

Cavs.- Eyenga was a big reach in the first round. Another athletic freak, but that's all. Waste of a pick. Danny Green has good value in the second round, but not enough to save wasting a first rounder like that.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:34 pm
I know that the Wolves picked up two PGs back to back with the thought that Rubio may stay in Spain, but still, they should have chosen Curry over Flynn. If they had Rubio and Curry, they would have one of the most exciting backcourts for the future. Kahn said in an interview that he sees Rubio and Flynn being one of the most dynamic backcourts in the NBA some time in the near future. I find that hard to believe when neither player is known as a good shooter, and neither were even mentioned as combo guards.
Get Money. Get Paid.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:30 pm
Dr. Spaceman wrote:I know that the Wolves picked up two PGs back to back with the thought that Rubio may stay in Spain, but still, they should have chosen Curry over Flynn. If they had Rubio and Curry, they would have one of the most exciting backcourts for the future. Kahn said in an interview that he sees Rubio and Flynn being one of the most dynamic backcourts in the NBA some time in the near future. I find that hard to believe when neither player is known as a good shooter, and neither were even mentioned as combo guards.

Yeah, although I think there's a catch, and that's that Minny grabbed them to trade one of then for somebody that will help them on other areas.

Still, the fact that they let Curry go is a weird one, and one they will regret over time. To me, Curry is the second best player of this draft.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:15 pm
TMC wrote:
Dr. Spaceman wrote:I know that the Wolves picked up two PGs back to back with the thought that Rubio may stay in Spain, but still, they should have chosen Curry over Flynn. If they had Rubio and Curry, they would have one of the most exciting backcourts for the future. Kahn said in an interview that he sees Rubio and Flynn being one of the most dynamic backcourts in the NBA some time in the near future. I find that hard to believe when neither player is known as a good shooter, and neither were even mentioned as combo guards.

Yeah, although I think there's a catch, and that's that Minny grabbed them to trade one of then for somebody that will help them on other areas.

Still, the fact that they let Curry go is a weird one, and one they will regret over time. To me, Curry is the second best player of this draft.

I think the catch was to be able to trade Rubio to someone in exchange for talent. The other catch for drafting multiple point guards could of been a "back up plan" just in case Rubio chose to go back to Spain or play for someone else. So taking Flynn was the obvious choice. But I agree, I think they'll regret taking Flynn over Curry. Stephen will be the better player IMO.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:02 pm
xbay wrote:
TMC wrote:

I think the catch was to be able to trade Rubio to someone in exchange for talent. The other catch for drafting multiple point guards could of been a "back up plan" just in case Rubio chose to go back to Spain or play for someone else. So taking Flynn was the obvious choice. But I agree, I think they'll regret taking Flynn over Curry. Stephen will be the better player IMO.

If they do trade Rubio to Knicks for Lee, that's pretty good for them as they do need another capable big. Lee gives them rebounding, hard work and decent allround play. They really need to sure up their bigs first, as they can get guards (if they haven't already gone 75% of the way now) much easier. The TWolves really could get some trade offers and if I was them, I'd be looking at getting as much as I can for the hyped up Rubio

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:55 pm
the one I'm still scratching my head over is Indiana. They pick Hansborough when they have Dun and Murph? It's like Bird is trying to rebuild an early 80's Celtics team
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:09 pm
Quazza wrote:the one I'm still scratching my head over is Indiana. They pick Hansborough when they have Dun and Murph? It's like Bird is trying to rebuild an early 80's Celtics team

To be honest I haven't looked at the draft and other teams, but I'll take your word for it.

I just want the team to get Amare and after that, get rid of Maggette for expirers would be ideal,then the teamcan rebuild and give the money to the right players

Return to NBA Forum