Carter to Magic?

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:13 pm
The New Jersey Nets are in serious talks with the Magic about a deal that will send Vince Carter to Orlando for Rafer Alston, Tony Battie and Courtney Lee, two league sources told ESPN.com.

The talks have reached a point that a deal could be done by the end of the day Thursday, according to sources.

The trade would give the Magic even more star power on their quest to win an NBA championship. The addition of Carter to a lineup that already consists of All-Star players Dwight Howard, Rashard Lewis and Jameer Nelson would make Orlando the favorite to win the Eastern Conference title next year if the franchise also finds a way to bring back Hedo Turkoglu, who will opt out of his contract this summer.

As for the Nets, the move is a cost-cutting measure. Both Alston and Battie are in the last year of their contracts, and trading for them would shave $16.5 million off New Jersey's roster in the summer of 2010 and put the Nets well below the salary cap.

The deal, if completed, would also give the Nets a young, promising shooting guard in Lee.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:28 pm
Another of those few trades that helps both teams. Orlando gets another scoring option, and one that, if motivated, can be the missing piece for that ring.

As for the Nets, they get rid of a player they never should have extended and get a lot of cap space to start over.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:31 pm
TMC wrote:Another of those few trades that helps both teams. Orlando gets another scoring option, and one that, if motivated, can be the missing piece for that ring.

As for the Nets, they get rid of a player they never should have extended and get a lot of cap space to start over.

I dont see VC as much of an upgrade at this point over Lee. Its a huge investment....and a mistake for Orlando in my opinion.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:35 pm
I disagree, I think that getting Carter is a great move for Orlando. Having that much offensive power and the inside presence of Howard, with (maybe) Gortat, Pietrus and whoever else coming off the bench.

Looks like a championship team to me...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:57 pm
Well, I think this trade only works as long as Hedo comes back. He will be entering free agency, so the Magic MUST bring him back or replace him in a significant way.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:57 pm
Tarantism wrote:I disagree, I think that getting Carter is a great move for Orlando. Having that much offensive power and the inside presence of Howard, with (maybe) Gortat, Pietrus and whoever else coming off the bench.

eh, a few years back maybe , but Carter isn't all that impressive to me anymore. On a bad team he'll get numbers, on a better team i don't see it. The Magic are trading for name value rather than talent.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:23 pm
Does this mean no Hedo for them? Carter and Hedo do alot of the same things (WTF! who would have thought anyone would have ever stated that). I don't know what their cap space is, but I think they might want to spend on some extra rebounding and help at the 4/5 positions.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:30 pm
fine wrote:Does this mean no Hedo for them? Carter and Hedo do alot of the same things (WTF! who would have thought anyone would have ever stated that). I don't know what their cap space is, but I think they might want to spend on some extra rebounding and help at the 4/5 positions.

I just checked ESPN.com and it says the deal also included Ryan Anderson from Cal

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:52 pm
Orlando pretty much have said they will resign Hedo. Howard, Lewis, Carter, Hedo and Nelson is a pretty damn good starting five, even at this stage in VC"s career.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:20 pm
Tarantism wrote:I disagree, I think that getting Carter is a great move for Orlando. Having that much offensive power and the inside presence of Howard, with (maybe) Gortat, Pietrus and whoever else coming off the bench.

I agree and as xbay said, they will have to replace Turkoglu if they don't keep him or that team is basically what they were last season and that's if Carter has a good attitude about it

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:51 am
B-U-M-P

If you're wondering what's going on, ask Bigs. 8) :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:44 am
TMC wrote:B-U-M-P

If you're wondering what's going on, ask Bigs. 8) :mrgreen:

Keeping the love during the offseason :mrgreen:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:12 pm
This thread will defeat Bigs' thread! That damn biter! :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:18 pm
Hey, seems like we've founded some kind of anti-Bigs movement on this thread... :mrgreen:

Return to Trades