Shaq traded to Cleveland

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Site Admin
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:27 pm
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:39 pm
ha, you can delete my other post hobbes.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:11 pm
Nice deal for the Cavs. They add a legit C to try to stop Dwight for basically nothing. Pavlovic is just a shooter that can be easily replaced (and who might even be back if the Suns cut him), Wallace might retire and they're sending a second round pick to Phoenix.

Add to that the fact that Shaq is a expirer, so he won't be a burden after next season for the Cavs, and looks like a great move for them.

As for Phoenix... I don't really get it, because the financial relief ain't that big (well, not against the salary cap, but will be higher if you count the luxury tax). I guess Shaq asked for this trade to have a chance to win another ring playing with Lebron.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:28 pm
I agree with TMC and that is amost certainly the case. Shaq wants another championship, likely to have more than Kobe, and suns gave him what he wanted. This does not mean the Cavs will win it next season, but may assure that Lebron leaves, because Shaq will likely retire after next season

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:30 pm
migya wrote:I agree with TMC and that is amost certainly the case. Shaq wants another championship, likely to have more than Kobe, and suns gave him what he wanted. This does not mean the Cavs will win it next season, but may assure that Lebron leaves, because Shaq will likely retire after next season

On the other side, as Shaq will be an expirer, that would free up enough money for Cleveland to sign Lebron to an extension and also add another top free agent like Bosh...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:42 pm
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:I agree with TMC and that is amost certainly the case. Shaq wants another championship, likely to have more than Kobe, and suns gave him what he wanted. This does not mean the Cavs will win it next season, but may assure that Lebron leaves, because Shaq will likely retire after next season

On the other side, as Shaq will be an expirer, that would free up enough money for Cleveland to sign Lebron to an extension and also add another top free agent like Bosh...

Could be, but they'd have t sell him on that. Shaq, if healthy ofcourse and that is a huge I, can definately matchup with Dwight and is bigger and stronger. A good move that may or may not set that team up for the future by keeping Lebron there

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:11 am
Good for them. Now they NEED to add a SG. And then, we'll be talking about them winning it all next season. So until then... it's still for the Celtics or Lakers taking.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:43 am
xbay wrote:Good for them. Now they NEED to add a SG. And then, we'll be talking about them winning it all next season. So until then... it's still for the Celtics or Lakers taking.

Delonte does a good job for them, good enough at least and plays his role well. They might just win it next season

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:30 am
TMC wrote:

I think Bosh is a better player, but the player the Cavs need in next years FA pool is Amare. He is stronger and a better matchup for Dwight Howard than Bosh. I think this move will make it more likely that Lebron stays. He is getting assurance that the Cavs are trying to WIN NOW, while not limiting their flexibility to add a player via Free Agency next season.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:31 am
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:Good for them. Now they NEED to add a SG. And then, we'll be talking about them winning it all next season. So until then... it's still for the Celtics or Lakers taking.

Delonte does a good job for them, good enough at least and plays his role well. They might just win it next season

Delonte is weak. SJack would be a perfect SG to play with Lebron.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:48 am
yeah, really hard to see why the Suns did this. I mean it certainly cant be "well we just wanted to be nice guys and accomodate shaq"
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:55 am
bada wrote:yeah, really hard to see why the Suns did this. I mean it certainly cant be "well we just wanted to be nice guys and accomodate shaq"

I think Ben is going to retire this season, lessening the financial burden on the Suns. Is Sasha contract completely or partially guaranteed? If just partial, they will probably release him, saving even more $$.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:56 am
"Always" Next wrote:
bada wrote:yeah, really hard to see why the Suns did this. I mean it certainly cant be "well we just wanted to be nice guys and accomodate shaq"

I think Ben is going to retire this season, lessening the financial burden on the Suns. Is Sasha contract completely or partially guaranteed? If just partial, they will probably release him, saving even more $$.

I think it is partial...something like one and a half million, maybe?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:20 am
Tarantism wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:

I think it is partial...something like one and a half million, maybe?

Yep, that's it. He'll probably be cut, and Wallace may retire, so that's even more money the Suns will save.

All Star
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:05 am
Steve Kerr, Steve Kerr, Steve Kerr. Just shaking my head, he fvcked up the Suns, as soon D'Antonio was let go. He dis-mantled a good team,for what ?
If its not broke don't fix it.

Ahh Steve. :banghead:
Next

Return to Trades