Hawks-Warriors talk trade

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:03 pm
This article just came out on ESPN.com

Marc Stein writes wrote:The Atlanta Hawks and Golden State Warriors are closing in on a trade that would find a new home for Jamal Crawford.

NBA front-office sources say that the Warriors and Hawks will soon complete a deal sending Crawford to Atlanta for Acie Law and Speedy Claxton.

Warriors coach Don Nelson made no secret of the fact that Crawford wasn't in his future plans. By shedding Crawford's longer contract and by virtue of insurance payments that will cover some of the costs of Claxton, Golden State would secure a decent measure of payroll relief with the trade.

Less clear is what impact the move will have on Atlanta's forthcoming negotiations with free agent-to-be Mike Bibby. Although Crawford is not a pure point guard, he's a prolific scorer whose arrival could affect the sort of contract offer Bibby expected to command from the Hawks.

speedy's contract expires at the end of this upcoming season and is for a little more than $5million...i might even assume a buyout of his contract to make space for another player(s)

this trade would have us goin into the draft with the supposed depth chart looking like:

Monta/ Law/ Speedy
Jackson/ Morrow/ Belinelli
Buike/ Maggs
Randolph/ Wright
Biedrins/ Turiaf
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:18 pm
if this trade goes through, then the dubs won't be drafting a PG, since they are getting 2 back. jordan hill is looking more like the pick if he's available.

while i'm glad to see them shed crawfish, they aren't getting much back in terms of real value. 2 backup points, neither of which thrill me.

but craw's cap relief thrills me.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:40 pm
What's the status on Acie Law's rookie contract? Is he in his final year? I wouldn't mind this trade at all. We get rid of Crawford's big contract and acquire smaller ones.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:48 pm
xbay wrote:What's the status on Acie Law's rookie contract? Is he in his final year? I wouldn't mind this trade at all. We get rid of Crawford's big contract and acquire smaller ones.

speedy's is a lil over 5mil and expires the end of this season...law's expires the year after, essentially (team option), and is barely 2mil (will be 3mil if we pick up the option, which is unlikely).
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:32 pm
I'm gonna be as polite as I possibly can:

GREAT!!!! ONE TURD LESS!!!!!
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:20 pm
I'm happy with this trade.

Addition by subtraction.

And the two spot gets freed up for hopefully Morrow or Belli.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:44 pm
I'd prefer Crawford just to opt out, as neither Claxton or Law have any use here (especially with the need a proper PG immediately), but this is the next best thing

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to Trades