matt cain, ace pitcher #2

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:11 am
TruE SExy wrote:i like the giants/a's subgroup we got goin here..

mazarro looks good, but alot of pitchers come in and make their mark, then are unable to adjust to the adjustments made against them...i dont want to get my hopes up on him yet

btw speaking of young pitchers, liriano must be the saddest story of recent baseball...i still remember when he made johan santana semi-expendable

and made the giants look like idiots
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:07 am
RobDIKUM wrote:

mazarro looks good, but alot of pitchers come in and make their mark, then are unable to adjust to the adjustments made against them...i dont want to get my hopes up on him yet

btw speaking of young pitchers, liriano must be the saddest story of recent baseball...i still remember when he made johan santana semi-expendable

Liriano and Joe Nathan for A.J. Pierzynski has to be one of the major reasons the Giants have refrained from trading their prospects for a proven player.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:27 am
"Always" Next wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:

Liriano and Joe Nathan for A.J. Pierzynski has to be one of the major reasons the Giants have refrained from trading their prospects for a proven player.

you're probably right. I didn't mind the deal at first but AJ wasn't here too long
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:42 am
RobDIKUM wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:

you're probably right. I didn't mind the deal at first but AJ wasn't here too long

and Nathan came out of nowhere. Im sure nobody expected him to become a top flight closer.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:03 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:

and Nathan came out of nowhere. Im sure nobody expected him to become a top flight closer.

actually when Nathan came up there was great hype about him as a starter. It was matt cain like. But he had some set backs. he always had the stuff and started out well that year. He struggled in the end and in the playoffs and seemed to only have one pitch and that was a fastball. His consistensy is what has amazed me, and being a closer probably kept him from getting serious injuries.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:06 pm
Lincecum looked great last night. Couple bonehead plays by the A's helped...as did a gift by the 2B umpire. The Giants still would have won the game IMO, but I think Timmy got away with atleast 1 run that would have been scored against him. Mazarro struggled a little, he hasnt been spectacular since his first couple starts, but for a young pitcher....a guy making his 5th start, he was really good. If I had to choose one though, I still have to go with Cahill.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:10 pm
"Always" Next wrote:Lincecum looked great last night. Couple bonehead plays by the A's helped...as did a gift by the 2B umpire. The Giants still would have won the game IMO, but I think Timmy got away with atleast 1 run that would have been scored against him. Mazarro struggled a little, he hasnt been spectacular since his first couple starts, but for a young pitcher....a guy making his 5th start, he was really good. If I had to choose one though, I still have to go with Cahill.

yeah maybe you're right. Consistency is important. Timmy was nasty though, 12 K's, and the guy gets tough with guys on. His changeup is just unfair. I'm excited to see the Unit face Gio today. Hopefully the Giants take it, though they already have the season series.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:20 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:Lincecum looked great last night. Couple bonehead plays by the A's helped...as did a gift by the 2B umpire. The Giants still would have won the game IMO, but I think Timmy got away with atleast 1 run that would have been scored against him. Mazarro struggled a little, he hasnt been spectacular since his first couple starts, but for a young pitcher....a guy making his 5th start, he was really good. If I had to choose one though, I still have to go with Cahill.

yeah maybe you're right. Consistency is important. Timmy was nasty though, 12 K's, and the guy gets tough with guys on. His changeup is just unfair. I'm excited to see the Unit face Gio today. Hopefully the Giants take it, though they already have the season series.

Gio has the potential to be a great pitcher, but he has seemed to struggle when starting. Last time he was up, Geren allowed him to throw over 100 pitches out of the pen in a long extra inning game. I believe he gave up a run....took the L and was sent back down to Sac. The A's bats need to heat up against Unit. They had lots of opportunities last night against Lincecum, way more than I expected....but just could not cash in.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:24 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:

Gio has the potential to be a great pitcher, but he has seemed to struggle when starting. Last time he was up, Geren allowed him to throw over 100 pitches out of the pen in a long extra inning game. I believe he gave up a run....took the L and was sent back down to Sac. The A's bats need to heat up against Unit. They had lots of opportunities last night against Lincecum, way more than I expected....but just could not cash in.

The one thing he's susceptible to is the long ball. If they jump on him early it'll be tough. The giants have to get to Gio early as well so he doesn't build up confidence. It'll be a fun game to watch.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:27 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:

The one thing he's susceptible to is the long ball. If they jump on him early it'll be tough. The giants have to get to Gio early as well so he doesn't build up confidence. It'll be a fun game to watch.

Lucky for the Giants....the longball is hardly a part of the A's repertoire. Maybe Holliday or Nomah will go batty.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:12 pm
or Cust. Or will he not be playing? It'll be a good game though.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:14 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:or Cust. Or will he not be playing? It'll be a good game though.

Cust hits lefties pretty well....but not really for bombs. He seems to try to go oppo and flies out to the track a lot.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:38 pm
Hey, whether it be the Giants or A's... let's bring a World Series title to the bay area!
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Previous

Return to Sports Board