Rondo and Allen?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

User avatar

Role Player
Posts: 359
» Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:40 pm
For Ellis, Magette, and Number 7. Is that outlandish?
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 21850
» Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:04 pm
I'd do it. Rondo has been real great, especially in the playoffs and a surprise to me, as I didn't think he'd be that good. Allen is only signed for one more season anyway, better than Maggette.

The team needs a real PG and Rondo is more of one than Monta and a great defender to say the least

All Star
Posts: 3310
» Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:56 pm
i was talking about this exact trade with one of my homeboys today. we were talking about how boston offered rondo and allen for stuckey, rip, and prince...so i was thinking maybe ellis, maggs/crawford, and the number 7 for rondo and ray.

i dont see boston doin it, but it would make some sense for them. they get the scorers in monta and maggs or crawford (whichever works), and they can draft a point guard with the number 7 pick in this PG filled draft. they would have ellis for the long term to stick with pierce in the long run, and by the time kg retires, maggs or crawford would be off the books...so theyll have money for a good big.

i like ellis, but for the chance to get the defensive and rebounding-ness of rondo and the expiring contract of ray allen, id take it. rondo gives us more flexibility as far as building the rest of our lineup around him, randolph, and biedrins. ray allen's expiring contract would put us in good position financially for 2010 to extend rondo AND get a SG/SF to replace ray allen.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:42 am
E-Man wrote:i was talking about this exact trade with one of my homeboys today. we were talking about how boston offered rondo and allen for stuckey, rip, and prince...so i was thinking maybe ellis, maggs/crawford, and the number 7 for rondo and ray.


Well, there's a big difference between those two trades. Stuckey, Hamilton and Price are three starters, while Ellis would be the only starter they'd get in our trade. Regrette or Crapford would be bench players for the Celtics, so they'd have to be really high on somebody from this draft to make that deal. And I don't see anybody able to replace Rondo right away in Boston (and the Celtics do not have the time to develop a young PG. They need to win now).
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 21850
» Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:12 am
TMC wrote:
E-Man wrote:i was talking about this exact trade with one of my homeboys today. we were talking about how boston offered rondo and allen for stuckey, rip, and prince...so i was thinking maybe ellis, maggs/crawford, and the number 7 for rondo and ray.


Well, there's a big difference between those two trades. Stuckey, Hamilton and Price are three starters, while Ellis would be the only starter they'd get in our trade. Regrette or Crapford would be bench players for the Celtics, so they'd have to be really high on somebody from this draft to make that deal. And I don't see anybody able to replace Rondo right away in Boston (and the Celtics do not have the time to develop a young PG. They need to win now).



I think either Crawford or maggette would replace Allen as starting SG. so that's two starters and the PG they draft would start too, so three starters. I reckon Boston would go for that in a heartbeat, they can't lose getting a still potent offensive player in Crawford/Maggette, an already star caliber young guard in Monta and another young guard through this draft. Only thing is, is the so good for the Warriors; they draft a good PG with the 7th pick (possible, who knows) and the team could be much better, with that player and the improvement of the young guys. Hard to tell
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:24 am
migya wrote:I think either Crawford or maggette would replace Allen as starting SG. so that's two starters


No, Ellis would start at SG or PG, but that's it. Boston tried to sign Regrette before he signed with us, but they only offered their MLE, which is half the amount we signed him for, so it's not like they considered him anything else than a good role player.

And Crapford... they've been playing against him for years. They know exactly what he can do, score in spurts... and suck the rest of the time.

migya wrote: and the PG they draft would start too, so three starters.


Not in this weak draft. The only guy that's gonna be able to help his team consistently will be Griffin. Nobody else looks ready to start right away without hurting their team. And a contender cannot afford that kind of risk.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 21850
» Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:23 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:I think either Crawford or maggette would replace Allen as starting SG. so that's two starters


No, Ellis would start at SG or PG, but that's it. Boston tried to sign Regrette before he signed with us, but they only offered their MLE, which is half the amount we signed him for, so it's not like they considered him anything else than a good role player.

And Crapford... they've been playing against him for years. They know exactly what he can do, score in spurts... and suck the rest of the time.

migya wrote: and the PG they draft would start too, so three starters.


Not in this weak draft. The only guy that's gonna be able to help his team consistently will be Griffin. Nobody else looks ready to start right away without hurting their team. And a contender cannot afford that kind of risk.




But Maggette is on more than the MLE and is better than anyone else they currently have for SG or SF, if Pierce went to SG. Unless they want Marbury as starting PG, IF this trade were to happen, the draft pick PG would be best pick to start
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1396
» Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:33 am
tallboy12321 wrote:For Ellis, Magette, and Number 7. Is that outlandish?


i was checking out some celtic forums and they're talking about this exact trade... the buzz is in the air...
User avatar

Role Player
Posts: 454
» Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:21 am
The only way I see a deal happening to land Rondo or both players is to have a three way trade. I think they'd be much more likely to accept Azu as part of the deal than Maggette or Crawford. Boston does need wing players who can score off the bench. If we could trade them Azu and a vet PG (from a three way trade), we could maybe land Rondo, but I think it would be a better choice to free up cap space for next summer and try to sign Rondo when everyone else is trying to sign Lebron, Carmello, D Wade, Bosh, Amare, etc. If we could sign him without losing any of the young guys imagine a lineup of.

Rondo
Ellis
Jackson
Randolph
Biedrins

with Maggette, Azu, Morrow, Wright, Turiaf and whoever we draft on the bench.

That team would have defense, rebounding, better passing and scoring. That roster could make us a top contender in the west assuming Randolph continues to develop into a legit PF.


http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/
Based on this article, it does not look like he is untouchable to the Celtics by any means.
Last edited by Dr. Spaceman on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

All Star
Posts: 3310
» Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:28 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:I think either Crawford or maggette would replace Allen as starting SG. so that's two starters


No, Ellis would start at SG or PG, but that's it. Boston tried to sign Regrette before he signed with us, but they only offered their MLE, which is half the amount we signed him for, so it's not like they considered him anything else than a good role player.


that's right...id think ellis would start at SG and with the 7th pick they draft a PG that would come off the bench. unless they try to start ellis at PG and draft a SG like derozan or harden to come off the bench while maggs starts at 2 to start the season.

as far as boston tryin to get maggs last summer...they only offered him the MLE because that was all they could afford. they have KG, pierce, and ray allen on the books so anything higher than the MLE was out of the question for them.

if Boston makes this trade then they essentially have all 5 starters locked up for at least 2 years is pierce doesnt opt out for 2010...and they have 4 of the starters locked up til at least the end of the 10/11 season, still having monta, KG, maggs, and perkins. now add a developed derozan to that lineup and they still compete. if pierce stays than maggs becomes super 6th man again.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:26 pm
E-Man wrote:as far as boston tryin to get maggs last summer...they only offered him the MLE because that was all they could afford. they have KG, pierce, and ray allen on the books so anything higher than the MLE was out of the question for them.


Straight up, yeah... but they could have offered much more in a sign and trade and didn't even explore that possibility.

All Star
Posts: 3310
» Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:37 pm
TMC wrote:
E-Man wrote:as far as boston tryin to get maggs last summer...they only offered him the MLE because that was all they could afford. they have KG, pierce, and ray allen on the books so anything higher than the MLE was out of the question for them.


Straight up, yeah... but they could have offered much more in a sign and trade and didn't even explore that possibility.


thats the thing tho...sign n trade for who? say they offer maggs 7-8 million a year, they didnt have anyone to offer in a sign n trade without breaking up their championship core.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:51 pm
E-Man wrote:
TMC wrote:
E-Man wrote:as far as boston tryin to get maggs last summer...they only offered him the MLE because that was all they could afford. they have KG, pierce, and ray allen on the books so anything higher than the MLE was out of the question for them.


Straight up, yeah... but they could have offered much more in a sign and trade and didn't even explore that possibility.


thats the thing tho...sign n trade for who? say they offer maggs 7-8 million a year, they didnt have anyone to offer in a sign n trade without breaking up their championship core.


Scalabrine, Tony Allen and Eddie House together would have matched that, and none has a long term contract. Add a pick to compensate the Clippers for taking those guys and it would work without hurting their core.

All Star
Posts: 3310
» Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:55 pm
TMC wrote:
E-Man wrote:
TMC wrote:
E-Man wrote:as far as boston tryin to get maggs last summer...they only offered him the MLE because that was all they could afford. they have KG, pierce, and ray allen on the books so anything higher than the MLE was out of the question for them.


Straight up, yeah... but they could have offered much more in a sign and trade and didn't even explore that possibility.


thats the thing tho...sign n trade for who? say they offer maggs 7-8 million a year, they didnt have anyone to offer in a sign n trade without breaking up their championship core.


Scalabrine, Tony Allen and Eddie House together would have matched that, and none has a long term contract. Add a pick to compensate the Clippers for taking those guys and it would work without hurting their core.


touche'....i would think that tony allen's D and House's shot is a lil much for maggs tho. plus the fact that theyd end up paying more trying to fill those spots.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests