MOVIE REVIEWS

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:39 pm
bigstrads wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:Just rented and watched CHE part 1 with Benicio Del Toro. Damn good movie, I didn't realize i should have rented both parts at once as the first part cuts off right in the middle on their way to Havana. But i also rented Gran Torino and a couple for my little girl. So part 2 will be rented shortly.

Anyway, amazing portrayal by Benicio and very accurate according to books i've read. Anybody else give this movie a look?

Ive been meaning to download that man..............and now youve reminded me!

Cheers. :wink:

check it out, i seriously want to go today and get the second part. What a great human being he was!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:13 am
bigstrads wrote:You know what I mean? we had Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, E.T, etc etc etc................they have a Michael Bay (a complete and total hack) remake of some thing we loved as kids and High School Musical! :evil: :cry:

Nowadays the children have nothing worthwhile, as far as entertainment and movies. Movies are now more violent or predominantly sex based. I've been watching alot of old movies lately like the Police Academy series and National Lampoons Vacation movies with Chevy Chase (The four he was in). Just more innocent and meaningful back then

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:31 am
migya wrote:
bigstrads wrote:You know what I mean? we had Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, E.T, etc etc etc................they have a Michael Bay (a complete and total hack) remake of some thing we loved as kids and High School Musical! :evil: :cry:

Nowadays the children have nothing worthwhile, as far as entertainment and movies. Movies are now more violent or predominantly sex based. I've been watching alot of old movies lately like the Police Academy series and National Lampoons Vacation movies with Chevy Chase (The four he was in). Just more innocent and meaningful back then

Yup, sad stuff man.

Any kids that I have are getting the same movie and music education that I did.............although I was watching Die Hard and Lethal Weapons when the rest of my friends were watching Disney films and sh*t, so maybe not the exact experience I had. :wink:

I remember my Grandma buying me Total Recall for my 11th birthday, having no idea it was one of the bloodiest movies ever..........might explain my general sunny dispostion huh? :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:17 am
bigstrads wrote:
migya wrote:

Yup, sad stuff man.

Any kids that I have are getting the same movie and music education that I did.............although I was watching Die Hard and Lethal Weapons when the rest of my friends were watching Disney films and sh*t, so maybe not the exact experience I had. :wink:

I remember my Grandma buying me Total Recall for my 11th birthday, having no idea it was one of the bloodiest movies ever..........might explain my general sunny dispostion huh? :mrgreen:

Yea you're a real cunnt :mrgreen:

My daughter doesn't watch much of the crap they have now, except for cartoon films they make, like Monsters v Aliens. She doesn't watch many things with violence, though I relaise she can't be protected from everything, so I personally sit with her through movies, like Transporter, and explain to her that violence is not good, it is just a film, but in self defence violence is alright, in reason ofcourse.

I'm going to start her in our BJJ club's kid's program soon, as I teach her at home every three days or so. Got to know how to handle many things, not just violent situations, but also showing her maths that's a little ahead of her class and educational things like that

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:39 am
Bigs and Migs,

I agree with you guys for the large part. Much of the magic and innocence is gone from family style live-action pictures. Bigs, you pointed out some great flicks from our lives as children. Although I am a HUGE fan of the Lord of the Rings trilogy which probably is not for kids my son's age but yet he has seen each of them probably 20 times. :)

However I do think there are some wonderful animated films that my kids have been able to enjoy. Most recently "Up" which I think is a fantastic film. Some very adult themes at the top and very reflective but rolled into a fun and funny picture that children can enjoy. Pixar has done a few of these that I think are really enjoyable.

While I have a side of me that really enjoys films where I am intellectually stimulated, I have to say I am probably more so turned on by movies that are visual. At least when I go to a theatre. I save the intillectual movies for home.

For the first Transformers movie, I took my son to our local IMAX theatre and we both freaked out over the visuals. I thought it was a stunning movie visually. Of course the story was not complex and was predictable but did not stop me from enjoying it. But more importantly was my son' reaction leaving the theatre where his mind was so blown his words could not keep up with how fast his brain wanted to talk. It was so funny and took me back to being 7 years old walking out of the theatre after seeing Star Wars. I had the same reaction.

So while not as good and it is a different generation, the emotional response it provided him was the same.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:04 pm
bada wrote:While I have a side of me that really enjoys films where I am intellectually stimulated, I have to say I am probably more so turned on by movies that are visual.

I don't. I'm exactly the opposite, I need the story to grab me to really enjoy a film, and it's pretty hard to do that if it revolves around giant robots, you know. :wink:
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:27 pm
I took my kids to see "UP" a few weeks ago, and they loved it! I did too.

they liked the friendly dog the best, was it Doug?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:28 pm
Jackattack wrote:I took my kids to see "UP" a few weeks ago, and they loved it! I did too.

they liked the friendly dog the best, was it Doug?

saw it with my baby. It was good, but those dogs were annoying to me! lol but overall it was pretty good.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:50 pm
TMC wrote:
bada wrote:While I have a side of me that really enjoys films where I am intellectually stimulated, I have to say I am probably more so turned on by movies that are visual.

I don't. I'm exactly the opposite, I need the story to grab me to really enjoy a film, and it's pretty hard to do that if it revolves around giant robots, you know. :wink:

I totally get that TMC. Movies are entertainment and what entertains people is totally subjective.

Personally most of the time I like to "escape" when I go to movies. I have enough complication and thought in my real life... I just want to be entertained and not have to think about much.

Oddly it is the exact opposite for television. I dont care for mindless crap. I need to be stimulated and have it be though provoking.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:07 pm
I usually only see the visual type of films in the theater where the BIG screen makes such a difference in visual quality and save others for rental. They may be great films, but I save them for a time when I can watch them at home and follow the plot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:14 pm
bigstrads wrote:
migya wrote:

Yup, sad stuff man.

11 huh? you've been on the journey to find a 3 breasted woman ever since huh?

by the way james, check movie2k if youwanna check out Che
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:24 pm
bada wrote:Oddly it is the exact opposite for television. I dont care for mindless crap. I need to be stimulated and have it be though provoking.

I'm exactly the same for TV. I just don't watch much because it's totally mindless entertainment right now. Just watch a few games and I download most of the series I really like (there are some great ones if you take your time to look thoroughly).
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:47 pm
Oh yeah, forgot to throw up a review of the movie I saw with my pop last weekend...

THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123

Really, Really good.
My Dad liked it and he hates every movie under the sun typically. Best action/drama movie I've seen in a while.

Superb acting by both Travolta and Washington (My dad HATES travolta and loves washington, but even he admitted that JT's performance was even better than DW's); great smart script with just a little bit of humor and a lot of heart; the right amount of action with great timing and pacing to make it suspenseful, but not exhausting. Also a really good discussion on moral vs immoral and what it means to be good. Like other critics have said, "it feels like you are sitting in a confessional"

anytime you hear the audience get really quiet during dramatic moments, gasp during surprises and giggle at a few of the lighter moments, you have a great movie

I don't know why it got only 50% on Rotten tomatoes. the only flaws I could find were:
- it was a little short for some I suppose (1hr and half). I thought it was the perfect length
- Tony Scott's direction was a little hard to watch. lots of jerky camera movements like the ones you saw in the 2nd Bourne movie.
- It was a tad unbelievable at times, particularly the climactic final scene.

great action movie
5/5 go see it in the theaters, you won't be disappointed.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:03 pm
bada wrote:However I do think there are some wonderful animated films that my kids have been able to enjoy. Most recently "Up" which I think is a fantastic film. Some very adult themes at the top and very reflective but rolled into a fun and funny picture that children can enjoy. Pixar has done a few of these that I think are really enjoyable.

Haven't seen Up or even heard of it yet until now, so will check it and maybe get it soon.

Pixar have definately made some very good movies the last few eyars that i can remember and my daughter has seen most. As long as the movies/cartoon shows are not vulgar (no Family Guy for kids too young I think) and extreme in any way, it is good for children I reckon.

I'm going to download the Astro Boy series from the 1980s, it was one of my favourite shows in Primary School and maybe my daughter will like it too

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:10 am
I went to see Year one yesterday, and i thought i was pretty funny. It's gettin some bad reviews but i stopped trusting reviews of comedies for a while back. I find that most of the reviewers feel to high and mighty and that juvenile humor is too "beneath them". Anyway, i thought it was good. Funny thing was we went to a very unpopular theater at 5:00 PM and we had our own personal theater!
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum