NBA Playoffs Discussion

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:44 am
It's not that it's boring, it's that the series is really lopsided. Honestly, if the Lakers actually wanted to put an effort for all 4 quarters, this would end in a sweep. The "experts" say the match ups are pretty close to even, but I even an idiot could see it from a distance that Rashard Lewis vs Pau Gasol/Lamar Odom is a VERY different story than Rashard Lewis vs Anderson Varejao/Joe Smith.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:04 am
MCJackintheBox wrote:
War Years wrote:I might disagree, I think the Magic take the next 2 and lose in 6 or 7.

i'm not sure if they'll take the next 2, but i wouldn't be surprised if they took 2 of the next 3, since the next 3 are in orlando.

but for one bad bounce, the magic would now have home court advantage, and they easily could have won the game last night, staying pretty competitive all game.

i wouldn't write this team off yet. an uphill battle for sure, but this team seems to feed on the underdog status. but they'll need to win all 3 in orlando, since i can't see them winning 2 straight in LA.

Lakers should be everyone's pick right now, but they didn't easily beat the Magic in game two like they did in game one, so no reason to say Magic can't come back. As I said, Alston could be the difference and he hasn't showed up really yet. Jameer should not be playing and Alston should be given every chance to play big minutes. I really do think Magic can run over the top of the Lakers if every player plays accordingly. Right now, Gasol is doing more than what he should be allowed to and Dwight not quite as much as he should be. That matchup (difference in production between those two) has to favour Dwight by quite a bit or Magic won't win, as Kobe will explode every game and they can't make up that difference in other matchups maybe, depending on Alston's amount of dominance over the Lakers PGs

migya make the ring fall on ya

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:01 pm
I am sticking with what I said previously. I have the Magic winning tonights game, and I think that Alston or Nelson should be the difference maker. The bottom line is that the Magic just get better all around play at home, especially from the guards.

The scary thing is that the Magic need to play great defense AND hit open shots with consistency to win this series, while the Lakers can play at 70% and still win games.

Right now it is hard to see the Magic winning this series, but I guess we will see just how hungry they are tonight.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:06 pm
never in a million friggin years would i ever imagine myself typing this but mikael pietrus saved the game and the series for the magic tonight. what an amazing twist of fate to go from nelly's doghouse to finals hero (at least for one night).

i guess nelly's douchiness is about the farthest thing from MP's mind right now. :)

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:02 pm
MCJackintheBox wrote:never in a million friggin years would i ever imagine myself typing this but mikael pietrus saved the game and the series for the magic tonight. what an amazing twist of fate to go from nelly's doghouse to finals hero (at least for one night).

i guess nelly's douchiness is about the farthest thing from MP's mind right now. :)

IMO sometimes guys just shine when put in the right situations.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:02 am
Tarantism wrote:
MCJackintheBox wrote:never in a million friggin years would i ever imagine myself typing this but mikael pietrus saved the game and the series for the magic tonight. what an amazing twist of fate to go from nelly's doghouse to finals hero (at least for one night).

Agreed. Tonight, the blue moon was out.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:29 pm
Really a strange series, given the fact that SVG has decided to mess with the rotation to throw in JJ Redick and Nelson in a well oiled machine.

Given the Jackson's favorite Gasoft, Kobe, LO, Ariza and Fisher match up well to the front court duo of Hedo and Rashard it is really up to Pietrus and Rafer to light the slow footed Fisher a new one ... or count on the un NBA ready Nelson which is great for a 2010 championship run which last time I checked was next year.

Jackson is not making a lot of adjustments (interesting given the fact that Orlando has improved drastically from the first (figure out game)). Jackson will guard Howard with Gasoft or Bynum and harass him with weakside help (mostly Fisher and LO) and let the Magic win the game from the outside.

The Magic can clog Kobe with a more strategic Pietrus and friendly whistles (not going to happen at Mannywood) but if Phil actually got his message to his immature team and ego-manical Kobe, the Fakers would pound Rashard and company to submission with Gasoft and sugar junkie LO.

And imagine if Courtney Lee actually made a fricking layup ... we could be talking how we invested 40 million in four 2 guards that can't hold a lick to Pietrus of all people (Mags, Crawford, Jackson and Ellis) ... a bench warmer who has performed the best when it counted (that would be the playoffs) and how Kobe has choked in the NBA finals for his third year without Shaq.

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:20 pm
Funny how Mbenga, Powell, and Pietrus are all playing in the finals. Not that they're all useful but just that theyre in the finals.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:49 pm
xbay wrote:
Tarantism wrote:

I think you have to look at Pietrus' biggest weakness. It isn't athleticism or talent. He's just not smart enough to play in a loose, read-and-react system like Nelly runs. There are a lot of other teams he would struggle to play for, any coach that expected him to make on-the-court decisions wouldn't find him useful.

I don't think it's a negative reflection on either Nelly or Pietrus, it's just two different styles that didn't mesh.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:18 am
Captain_Jack wrote:
xbay wrote:
Tarantism wrote:

I think you have to look at Pietrus' biggest weakness. It isn't athleticism or talent. He's just not smart enough to play in a loose, read-and-react system like Nelly runs. There are a lot of other teams he would struggle to play for, any coach that expected him to make on-the-court decisions wouldn't find him useful.

I don't think it's a negative reflection on either Nelly or Pietrus, it's just two different styles that didn't mesh.

No, I totally understand what you mean. I was just making jokes.

But yeah, it all comes down to the player's game and the team's style. Pietrus is more of a half-court, work it inside-out type of perimeter player.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:04 pm
Lakers win it in five and though that seems like a thrashing, with Orlando stuffing it up at the end of regulation in the two games that went to overtime, this could be a totally different series, so actually very close. Dwight has to learn how to score a heap regularly.He is no Shaq yet and likely never will be offensively.

Ohil Jackson now the coach with the most championships, ten and that is amazing and likely will never be beaten

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:25 pm
fricking Fakers! floppers...

yeah well they won... Magic need to make some damn free throws.
Play Alston
and learn how to stop Kobe... Odom and Gasol.... no easy task..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:55 pm
Nice call refs .... in a game full of lots of contact, grabbing (Ariza's favorite play) ... the Fakers get two critical calls on flops. That and the Gasoft trade ... a fourth string point guard (Javaris) and Kwame Brown ... and the annoying puppets ... hopefully LO will settle for a nice big payday and bring balance to the NBA.

SVG will learn the Avery Johnson lesson of only one chance to win the big one, and with the three point blunder and insertion of Nelson to destroy the best performing rotation in the playoffs, he will lose in job sooner than later.

People really don't understand Phillip's greatness as a modern day coach (1. pick the winning situtation 2. coach up worthless talent (Fisher, Kwame, Sasha, Luke, Smush) 3. Needle and mind warp mentally soft players (Odom, Gasoft) 4. Stack up on taller, grittier players (Powell, Mbenga, Bynum, the departed Chris Mihm) for a long grueling playoff run 5. Get the biggest ball hog in the world to actual share the ball in shocking unselfish manner

By comparision SVG 1. screwed the winning rotation 2. had the world's most confused defense (the ultra soft and molasses slow double team) 3. wanted LO, Ariza and Fisher to rip the Tragic to shreds with 3 pointers 4. Made the spiteful Shaq look as prophetic as Jose Canseco who in March 5th, 2009 coined the term "I know for a fact that he's a master of panic, and when it gets time for his team to go in the postseason and do certain things, he will let them down because of his panic." Poor Avery ... if he had only had the chance to coach in the playoffs against the "Master of Panic" instead of Riles or Nellie with GM abilities, his life would be so different.
All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:05 pm
:letitallout:
that laker/memphis trade for gasol pisses me off!!! imagining gasol in a warriors uni makes me salivate... ahhhhhh!!! i hate the lakers!
Wish List

*New Owner and Management =D>
*Trade Monta
*Trade Maggette =D>
*Tank the season, get the top pick and draft Harrison Barnes
to be continued...
Previous

Return to NBA Forum