Could we really get Artest and could he be an asset

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:55 pm
If there is any chance of the team getting Artest, he could be used as trade bait to get someone else that is more stable, committed and under a long term contract or willing to sign with the warriors long term.

After Dunleavy and Foyle did bad yet again, a trade getting Artest and foster may not be so bad if it is used wisely. By that I mean that both Artest and Foster (who is probably worse than Foyle) could be traded to the Knicks at the end of the season for say, Channing Fryre and Quentin Richardson (since Artest said he will go to the Knicks when he is a freeagent anyway). Fryre looks like he could be a very good center and QRich could get back to playing the way he did when he was in the Clippers.

Another trade possibilty is Artest and Foster for Paul Pierce and Raef LaFrenz. This is possible if Pierce is still on the way out of the Celtics. Pierce is better than Artest and LaFrenz is better than Foster but the Celts might go for that trade.

Keeping dunleavy at this point looks like a waste and keeping Artest would waiting for the place to blow up!

Things at the moment look worse than what most would have expected before the season started, especially on the subject of Dunleavy

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:50 am
I wouldn't mind bringing some new blood, but wouldn't set our hopes so high. Another big name could mean trouble with all the players we already have. We need someone who fits well with the team and plays his role.

For the sf, I'd love to get someone like Jarvis Hayes from the Wizards, who seems to be stuck in that team...

And it wouldn't cost as much as those trades...

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:00 am
I believe Artest would be an asset to this team, definitley. Anybody who comes in and starts would be an asset I think, especially someone who can affect games and the opponents as much as Artest can with his defense and hustle on the court.

The problem that I think will prohibit the possibility of a Warriors/Pacers deal is because of the salaries of the players on the Warriors. The Pacers are looking for a young player, maybe draft picks, and cap relief. The Warriors definitley have the young player or players and they could add a draft pick if necessary, it's just the salary situations that hurt the Warriors. I believe the Warriors chances of making the deal would be much higher if Dunleavy were on his last year of his contract. But the only player on the Warriors that is on it's last year of his contract is Cheaney, and it's not that big of a contract in the first place, so, that will hurt the Warriors' possiblities for Artest.

I recently read that the Pacers and Nuggets are talking about something like Voshon Lenard and Nene for Artest. Nene is the young player I guess the Pacers are looking for and Voshon is cap relief. It will be interesting to see how Artest will be dealt. I would not like to see that Denver deal made though, that would be very painful for the Warriors to see. But I guess time will tell what will happen with this situation.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:22 am
Last I've heard, Orlando, Denver, Minny and our Warriors were the leading favorites to get Artest, but haven't heard any names of players who could go to the Pacers.

I wouldn't make any deal if it involves Baron, J-Rich or Diogu. Those three are the untradables of our roster (for me, at least). But I'd be willing to work a trade with any other player.

What worries me about Artest is not his talent, but his craziness. I don't want a nutcase as part of our team...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:14 am
The Nuggets have Carmelo at SF - Where would artest go? SG? Might work for the Nugs

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:26 am
Yeah, he'd be their sg. But I don't think the trade works as well for the Pacers. Nene is out all the season and will be a free agent, Lenard is wasted, ... Maybe if they add some draft picks.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:03 pm
Trading for Artest would be the best thing the warriors could do for the immediate and long term success of the team. Artest should be on his best behavior so they could make a serious playoff run this year if they stick him in at SF.

At this point as much as I like murphy i wouldnt mind moving him with dunleavy and draft picks to Indiana. Murphy is perfect fit next to a center/power forward who has serious low post game. He would fit perfect next to JOneal, Shaq, Yao, Camby, Big Z or a center like that. He could spot up and shoot and grabs rebounds while not having to worry about playing with his back to the basket or playing much post defense. What Murphy cant do is what the Warriors need done from their PF position since were stuck with Foyle/bierdrins at center.

If worse comes to worse Artest goes crazy again. I seriously thinks he a chemical imbalance, so i wouldnt put it past him to do or say somethign stupid again. But if he does, oh well, he leaves as a free agent to New York after this year. Were probably stuck with Foster for a bit, but at least we clear up cap space for signing a LEGIT big man in the next year or so. We could rid ourselves of dunleavy forever. And im not too sure id wanna be paying Murph 8-10 million in his last few years of his contract.

So artest and croshere for dunleavy and murphy and draft picks. Croshere is in the last year of his contract next season so we could trade him like we did Dale Davis or keep him and get that cap space. I just know being stuck with dunleavy is not good. Likewise being stuck with murph and no low post presence is not good either.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:30 pm
BUt who would you give up for artest.

dunleavy cant be traded.

Biendris, pietrus, diogu and fisher would be the only guys Indiana would be interrested in.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:48 am
No to Artest!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:20 am
The Real Newman wrote:Biendris, pietrus, diogu and fisher would be the only guys Indiana would be interrested in.

Add Murph to that list. And I don't think they'll be interested in Fish. They've enough pgs with Tinsley, Johnson and Jasikevicius, and Saras is as good shooter (or better) as Fish...

The most logical trade for them would be for Pietrus + fillers. I'm not sure I'd like to do that trade.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:41 am
Pietrus hasn't even had a chance to develop! I really think this team as is needs a bit more time to develop together. I really like the "possibilities" of the majority of the players on the team, Biedrins, Diogu. Pietrus and Ellis in particular, though Ellis looks like the one that would leave to look for a better chance of minutes with another team

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:59 am
ya he would be a great asset, we would have somebody that could guard all the all stars, like kobe,mcgrady, nowitski, lebron, and of them, you guys remember he was a defesive player of the year couple years ago, and his offense is not the bad, and his nickname is the warrior, so he fits the description
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:56 am
crazy7408g wrote:ya he would be a great asset, we would have somebody that could guard all the all stars, like kobe,mcgrady, nowitski, lebron, and of them, you guys remember he was a defesive player of the year couple years ago, and his offense is not the bad, and his nickname is the warrior, so he fits the description

You forgot to add he's a nutcase...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:38 am
Which ruins it all!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:02 pm
we dont need someone to guard shooting guards and small forwards. Pietrus does a fine job doing that. Plus guys like Kobe, LJ and TMAC you cant guard.

We need someone to guard those B-grade power forwards and centers who always kill us down low. Look at the box scores all opposing teams PF's and Centers always have awesome days vs. the warriors. Kurt Thomas, Sweetney, Al jefferson, ect.
Next

Return to Trades