Front Court Woes and How to Fix it

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:04 pm
People may say that Baron and Jason may take too many shots, but I can handle that. The Warriors have put the franchise in these two guy's hands and I believe that they can carry us far enough to get into the playoffs, possibly an 8th seed or even up to a 6th. However, the road to success in the post-season is having a solid front court, which the Warriors don't have right now. Playoffs means match ups with marquee front court players like Nowitzki, Duncan, or Gasol. If they can somehow get pass them, which I doubt, then the title goes through the best front court in the league with Wallace, Wallace and Prince. The Warriors can't expect a front court of Troy, Mike, and Adonal to carry them far and if they do, then we have a problem.

Troy is a black hole. He doesn't pass often nor does he want to. He's a similar player to Raef Lafrentz which I think is way way overpaid. The Warriors need a active, athletic PF.

If the Warriors can move Foyle, then I suggest they do so. He guy is undersized for a center, at 6'9, and doesn't have enough skills to play the 4. If he had the explosiveness of a Ben Wallace, then I'd keep my mouth shut about his size.

Check this idea out..

Trade Foyle to Atlanta for Harrington. This trade works straight up. The Hawks need a center more than they need a SF. Harrington is athletic and a solid defender. Fills up the stats sheets also. He's a poor man's version of Jamison.

Trade Murphy and Fisher to Cleveland for Gooden, Snow, and Luke Jackson. Murphy and Fisher could be the two players to help this team win some games with Lebron running the show. Gooden gives the Warriors another athletic body inside. Has a good mid range jumper and won't shoot threes like Troy.

Trade Mike Dunleavy to Indiana for Jeff Foster. He's not the best center in the world, but hey, he's a decent one. Better than Foyle. He's active and has good hustle. Originally a GS draft pick.

New Line up:

PG Davis - Snow - Miles
SG Richardson - Pietrus - Ellis
SF Harrington - Cabarkapa - Cheaney
PF Gooden - Diogu - Taft
C Biedrins - Foster - Taft
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:20 pm
WarriorzFanatik wrote:Trade Foyle to Atlanta for Harrington. This trade works straight up. The Hawks need a center more than they need a SF. Harrington is athletic and a solid defender. Fills up the stats sheets also. He's a poor man's version of Jamison.

Great, but there's no chance in hell Atlanta does this trade. Are they going to give up a good player with an expiring contract (which means he's even more tradeable) for a center with no offensive game, no upside and a sh*tload of money to pay?. Yeah, sure...

WarriorzFanatik wrote:Trade Murphy and Fisher to Cleveland for Gooden, Snow, and Luke Jackson. Murphy and Fisher could be the two players to help this team win some games with Lebron running the show. Gooden gives the Warriors another athletic body inside. Has a good mid range jumper and won't shoot threes like Troy.

That would make Cleveland even better, no, thanks. Murph can get boards as well as Gooden (or better) and is a better scorer (even if it's mainly from the outside), and we have no need of the other scrubs...

WarriorzFanatik wrote:Trade Mike Dunleavy to Indiana for Jeff Foster. He's not the best center in the world, but hey, he's a decent one. Better than Foyle. He's active and has good hustle. Originally a GS draft pick.

This would mean giving up on Dun for whatever offer we may get. Not that I'm opposed to it, but at least we should try to get a sf...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:00 pm
TMC.... I couldn't have said it better!!!!!!!! :D

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:47 am
Ditto. TMC hit it right on the head.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:30 pm
I used to think Al Harrington was just another wanna be but he is actually pretty good and is putting up pretty good numbers this season. Don't know if he would be as good or effective playig on a team with a couple of other stars

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:49 am
He'd be even better. He's not able to be the star of a team, but he's great as second fiddle (like he's now to JJ).

Pretty similar to Jamison and a lot of other players who post up great numbers but can't lead a team.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:49 pm
He is doing well this season and the Hawks are not doing too bad lately
Last edited by migya on Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:05 pm
GSW - (dunleavy + foyle) + diogu + pietrus = GSW wins
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:14 am
The Real Newman wrote:GSW - (dunleavy + foyle) + diogu + pietrus = GSW wins

:D :D :D

Amen...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:32 am
The Real Newman wrote:GSW - (dunleavy + foyle) + diogu + pietrus = GSW wins

Yes, Yes, it's good to have you back! :bday:

Another winner :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:51 pm
When I look at the frontcourt, I see only one guy who's got trade value, Murphy. And this works perfectly with getting Diogu into the starting lineup. So I think the kind of trade that would actually strengthen Diogu's development is to trade Murph for a frontcourt player with some defensive prowess, probably a small forward since it's usually easier to trade for someone a bit smaller. That way, you'll have two defensive stalwarts in Foyle and your new 3 (Artest?), it takes pressure off Diogu from guarding the opponent's best inside scorer (which will be Foyle's job; might as well make him do something useful while he's out there) and allows Ike to concentrate on scoring in the paint (though he does still need to improve defensively). I still like Dunleavy but he needs to get stronger and more aggressive (as well as working on his outisde shot). Until then, he should accept being the sixth man.

From what I've read on ESPN, Portland, Atlanta, and New Jersey are all looking for upgrades at the power forward spot. The Blazers, like the Hawks, actually have a surplus of small forwards to deal, including Darius Miles who can really fill up a stat sheet, most notably in the steals and blocked shots department. Harrington, Josh Smith, or Josh Childress would all look great in Warrior blue (maybe even halfway decent in the orange uni's!). The Nets don't really have anyone good to trade (they love Richard Jefferson, I doubt they'd want to have Murphy instead of him) but they do have two first round picks so that could be good along with some stiffs with expiring contracts. And let's not count out Pietrus maybe platooning with or outright replacing Dunleavy at small forward. Having a good perimeter defender at the 3 (who attacks the rim!) and an offensivly challenged shot blocker in Foyle at the 5 would really allow Diogu to spread his wings, at least for the time being.

To get a stud center to simply replace Foyle would be great but why would you want to trade for Foyle and Murphy if your team's already got Marcus Camby or Chris Bosh? Ain't gonna happen. Let's just hope Biedrins or even Taft will develop defensively into at least a decent (more complete) player than Foyle so they can take the starting center spot from him next year (I definitely feel like Andris has more offensive game than Foyle right now! Might need to work on the foul shooting though!).
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:49 pm
Darius Miles might get the steal and block but he is a bad defender. His stats dont show how lazy and stupid he can be on defense. I wouldnt make that trade!

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:55 pm
heh heh i love that image with dunleavy and the foot.

yeah, it's true, miles' defense leaves a bit to be desired but the guy is so young and has so much talent in him. he could be a great defender if he put his mind to it. i feel like he's on the brink of becoming a really complete player if he just grew up a little bit.

here's something that just popped in my head: is it possible the W's could sign (gasp) Latrell Sprewell as a FA to be their defensive stopper on the perimeter? perhaps this is a good way to exorcise that demon. just a thought.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:57 am
I think adding Darius Miles to this squad would be very very interesting. I just think to myself how great Miles will look playing with a true PG, maybe like Richard Jefferson but even better(?). I think Baron could really help turn Miles into a good player. I like Miles' athleticism and height. He has shot a high FG% his whole career and he could add a new dimension to this team.
------------------
uh oh, I am starting to get realgm trade checker happy
-----------------

I really don't know what kind of a direction the Blazers are going, so maybe these aren't the best or most likely ideas. But here is one idea at least.

Warriors trade:
Fisher, Dunleavy, Pietrus, Biedrins, Cheaney
And receive:
Miles, Patterson, Przybilla, Jarret Jack

The Blazers would get rid of Patterson who said he wants to leave, while bringing in Pietrus who is a stud prospect and Biedrins who has so much promise as a top young prospects; Fisher and Cheaney who are good vets for all of their young guards; and Dunleavy who would be able to go back home.

The Warriors would get a high potential SF who I think fits very well with this team, Patterson who could add minutes off the bench, and Przybilla who is a very solid, good big man who could be a defensive presence in the paint and rebound the basketball very well. Jarret Jack could help us with back court depth. The Warriors, if the Blazers would accept, get some cap help too by trading Dunleavy and Fisher. The Warriors also, I think have a much better starting 5, much more complete with Miles running wild at the 3 position and Przybilla adding a good low post presence. The Warriors on the other hand become very young with 5 rookies, which may be good, or may be bad. The bench also isn't very flexible, but maybe this is better since Mike Montgomery rarely looks to the bench very much anyway, or doesn't seem to look for very creative rotations at least.

After the trade:
Davis/Jack/Miles
Jason/Ellis
Darius/Patterson
Murphy/Diogu
Przybilla/Foyle/Taft

Ok, sorry, this is my random, maybe outrageous, thought for the day...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:58 am
wrycooter wrote:From what I've read on ESPN, Portland, Atlanta, and New Jersey are all looking for upgrades at the power forward spot. The Blazers, like the Hawks, actually have a surplus of small forwards to deal, including Darius Miles who can really fill up a stat sheet, most notably in the steals and blocked shots department. Harrington, Josh Smith, or Josh Childress would all look great in Warrior blue (maybe even halfway decent in the orange uni's!). The Nets don't really have anyone good to trade (they love Richard Jefferson, I doubt they'd want to have Murphy instead of him) but they do have two first round picks so that could be good along with some stiffs with expiring contracts. And let's not count out Pietrus maybe platooning with or outright replacing Dunleavy at small forward. Having a good perimeter defender at the 3 (who attacks the rim!) and an offensivly challenged shot blocker in Foyle at the 5 would really allow Diogu to spread his wings, at least for the time being.

Why would Portland want a 4 having recently re-signed Zach Randolph?. I agree with Atlanta, but only JJ and Harrington are decent there. And the Nets do not have two first round picks. One of this year's draft went to the Raptors in the Carter trade...

About Spree... there's no way he'll wear a Warriors Jersey again.
Next

Return to Trades