Being a front-runner for happiness

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:58 am
Lots of discussions about one Warrior player or another, who to trade, who to draft, who to play... and then you watch the Lakers.

OMG. That is an actual team. With an actual coach. And, real owners and management. A proud and focused franchise. Hot women in the expensive seats, it is all good.

Fakers? No, really, that would be the Ws in all the so many ways we have discussed.

I have been rooting for the locals for years, the Ws, the 49ers, even the Raiders for awhile, the Giants, even the A's back when. Great. I have been enabling incompetent rich owners and suffering from uncounted losses and disappointments. I envy the fans of successful teams and want to be just like them.

It is time to support winners and raise my self-esteem. It is depressing to be a fan of constant losers. The Laker fans, for example, are accused of being shallow front-runners. Yet, their team keeps winning and their fans seem happy. It must be fun to have your teams win all the time, to read the favorable statistics, to bask in their glory and to be able to insult the fans of losing teams.

Ws fans are "the best", supposedly more dedicated and knowledgeable, yet we support mediocracy. What does that make us? Smarter than Laker fans? Hmmm.

So, I am dedicating my life to being a front-runner. Whatever team is winning and winning in an interesting way is now my team. I will buy supportive T-shirts and join their forums. I will date very young and hot women and make out my credit cards so I can sit on the front row with them. Life will be better. I will feel the elation of victory and will not suffer the humiliation of defeat over and over and over. It is time.

So, which teams should I switch my allegience to?

Basketball: the Lakers are clearly the best and most interesting team now and have a history that promises continued success.

Baseball: The Dodgers are the best right now, and reasonably close geographically, but there is always the success and interesting dynamics of the Yankees. I like their striped shirts, too. There is no denying the passion of Boston and St Louis fans...

Football: the NFL is, in my very minority opinion, a dull league with most coaches trying not to lose rather than trying to win. They all follow each other and make the same decisions so they can't be criticized.

I'll take suggestions on this one.

Thank you for listening. I feel better already.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:20 am
carlgo wrote:Lots of discussions about one Warrior player or another, who to trade, who to draft, who to play... and then you watch the Lakers.

OMG. That is an actual team. With an actual coach. And, real owners and management. A proud and focused franchise. Hot women in the expensive seats, it is all good.

Fakers? No, really, that would be the Ws in all the so many ways we have discussed.

I have been rooting for the locals for years, the Ws, the 49ers, even the Raiders for awhile, the Giants, even the A's back when. Great. I have been enabling incompetent rich owners and suffering from uncounted losses and disappointments. I envy the fans of successful teams and want to be just like them.

It is time to support winners and raise my self-esteem. It is depressing to be a fan of constant losers. The Laker fans, for example, are accused of being shallow front-runners. Yet, their team keeps winning and their fans seem happy. It must be fun to have your teams win all the time, to read the favorable statistics, to bask in their glory and to be able to insult the fans of losing teams.

Ws fans are "the best", supposedly more dedicated and knowledgeable, yet we support mediocracy. What does that make us? Smarter than Laker fans? Hmmm.

So, I am dedicating my life to being a front-runner. Whatever team is winning and winning in an interesting way is now my team. I will buy supportive T-shirts and join their forums. I will date very young and hot women and make out my credit cards so I can sit on the front row with them. Life will be better. I will feel the elation of victory and will not suffer the humiliation of defeat over and over and over. It is time.

Basketball: the Lakers are clearly the best and most interesting team now and have a history that promises continued success.

Baseball: The Dodgers are the best right now, and reasonably close geographically, but there is always the success and interesting dynamics of the Yankees. I like their striped shirts, too. There is no denying the passion of Boston and St Louis fans...

Football: the NFL is, in my very minority opinion, a dull league with most coaches trying not to lose rather than trying to win. They all follow each other and make the same decisions so they can't be criticized.

Carl,
I cant say that I havent wished I could do this same thing, but I hope it works out miserably for you. You cant leave your team! And if you can, you were never much of a fan in the first place. I say enjoy your lavish courtide seats and beautiful young women, but see if you can get our crappy bay area teams out of your heart....I dont think you will be able to. You will be walking around carrying a void that you cant fill while supporting all of your winning teams. They will be hollow victories. Just remember, in 30 or 40 years when Don Nelson has died and the Dubs become relevant once again......there will be no available seat on the bandwagon for you.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:25 am
Wow...............just............wow.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:52 pm
It's a matter of fans being too lazy to speak out. Honestly, if we were any smarter, we would of had an organized strike outside of Oracle calling for Cohan's and Rowell's head.

I don't jump the ship, but I will admit, just like everyone else, I've been too lazy to go and voice my opinion right outside Oracle.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:47 pm
It's never too late to start that campaign!
though it should have happened once they started snubbing Mullin...
and even earlier as they started to dismantle the 06-07 team instead of building upon it. talk about f*cking up an opportunity...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:56 am
Well, you know Ill be up for a protest when I come over.............LETS GET ORGANISED!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:33 pm
carlgo wrote:Lots of discussions about one Warrior player or another, who to trade, who to draft, who to play... and then you watch the Lakers.

I won't judge you harshly.

Accountability is the prelude to change in all people and those in high positions in the Golden State Warriors organisation are no different

migya make the ring fall on ya
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:42 pm
Victory is only as sweet as previous defeats are bitter

I'm just now reading this but I know where carl is coming from; I've joked about jumping ship plenty of times, though I've never seriously considered it. The truth is that even though routing for a winning team such as the Lakers is rewarding as a fan, it's mildly so.

I have countless friends, family, and coworkers that are Laker fans and I can attest that they are not nearly as devoted nor knowledgeable as myself and fellow Ws fans. Many them have missed several Laker playoff games! Could you as a Warrior fan imagine missing even one quarter of a Warrior playoff game?!?! FUUCK NO!! I only miss about 5 or so Ws games in the season! It has nothing to do with them (Laker fans) as people nor them a sports fans, but rather they are bored. The Lakers win a close regular season game or make it to the playoffs and they don't even blink. We as fans of a less successful team cheer, go crazy, and some of us at times, are even moved to tears.

Lakers fans expect to be in the Finals every year, and anything short of a championship is a failure. We, on the other hand, would be happy just to make it back to the playoffs. Laker fans have lost their appreciation and take victory for granted - again this is not their fault, they've been spoiled.

So you can go to where the grass is obviously greener - but if you do don't ride the fence! It's one or the other; there can be no such thing as a Ws and a Lakers fan - only a Laker fan that kind of likes the Ws. And then you can have your 10-20 championships (if not more) over the course of your life, because when the Ws win that SINGLE NBA championship and you see your former-fellow Warrior fans taring the Oracle apart piece by piece, RIOTING in the bay area, and bawling their eyes out - you will not be apart of it. While your watching your countless Laker championship DVDs and glancing over at your Championship banners and commemorative plaques - you'll never know what it feels like... To be a real fan...

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:51 pm
As far as I know Cohan has spent the bucks to produce a decent roster ... Rowell has just been a knucklehead on how to spend it (the Jamal Crawford deal ... resigning Jackson of all people ... the Foyle buyout ... could of brought a better talent in return). If you follow a team only when it wins, that makes you a bandwagon fan ... I guess we won't hear from your for about 10 years.
Sports is the original reality tv, it is unscripted (did anyone pick Warner and the lowly Cardinals as a Superbowl contender) and moments like "We Believe" or the Gibson Homer off Eck is what makes it worthwhile.
Right now we could be talking about Pietrus the Kobe stopper, if Stan could coach and leave an injured Nelson on the bench, or if Jameer could learn to foul a Fisher without giving him an open look, or if superhype could shoot some free throws. Now we are giving Kobe, Fisher and Philip tons of love.
The Giants have a great rotation ... I hate the bullpen, but homegrown talent with very selective free agency or trades is the key for the Warriors, Giants, Niners.
The future is bright, Nellie will be gone in two years, we have nice young players (Biedrins, AR, Ellis, our pick, Morrow ...possibly BW and BElli)... LO is leaving the Fakers, Fisher is getting slower (with only an injured Nelson giving him open looks), other teams are aging, and teams like Cleveland are looking to axe the coach of the year Mike Brown for aspiring billionaire sore loser self proclaimed King James.

Return to NBA Forum