NBA Draft/Lottery Thread

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:35 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
E-Man wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:And thr Kings.... HAHAHAHHAHAHA, they will be back in the same spot next season.

yeah...honestly..if i were the Kings GM, id trade Kevin Martin for a good point guard. Francisco Garcia can hold it down at SG and all they would have to do is get a banger at PF or C. They would have jason thompson or nocioni at 3 and hawes at 4 or 5 depending on the big man they get.

Ricky Rubio does NOT want to play for Oklahoma City or Memphis. Sacramento does not seem to be a problem

Well, Sacramento likes Jason Thompson and Hawes... both of them have played pretty good at the 4 and 5 spots, so i think they are fine with them as starters.

There are two things hurting the kings. That is Depth and Leadership. it is no surprise that when they made Kevin Martin there "go-to-guy" they starting falling. K-Mart is a great player, but he isnt a leader. PLayers are looking for him to lead, but he doesnt step it up. (as i have said before, he is eerily similar to Monta Ellis in many ways, including this issue).

-----------------------------------------------------
HERE is my Scenario:
So, K-Mart isnt the problem. They just need a true leader. This draft, the Kings SHOULD be doing trades, most likely with memphis. IF i were the Kings, i would Swap this years 2nd rounder, Francisco Garcia and next years first round pick (which should be pretty low) for Memphis's 2nd overall pick and Darko.

Why good for memphis? Well Darko might be bolting to Europe, so you don't have to deal with him, get a good 6th man/sometime starter (if Mayo plays the point if Conley struggles). PLus next years draft has so many big men (unlike this years guard-laden class), so it can better address their needs. They can go after an expirer via another trade. PLus, they have another 1st round pick (28th).

Why good for the Kings? Because they need to restart. Getting 2 picks in the top 4 draft will begin a new era in sacramento. They can get Rubio and also Harden or Thabeet. The kings would have a competitive and young starting 5. Plus, they have another 1st rounder (23rd) from Houston. So thats 3 1st rounders, which they can pick the best player available (all 5 positions needed) for their bench.

This is what i think (yes really... all my idea, no lie). I hope it doesnt happen cuz i would prefer Rubio as a Warrior, but I think for a Kings Fan, it is a dream situation, and a good one for Memphis in the short term and long term

Sounds about right, although I think it's more feasible that Memphis takes Thabeet (who might not be around at #4, as OKC seems to be high on him) and Sacramento trades up one spot with OKC. Garcia, a second and their #4 might just do the trick.

This is all pending on Rubio refusing to play for OKC and Memphis. That's the case right now, and his agent is even saying he'd stay here for a few years if any of those teams pick him (although, personally, I don't think Ricky has said a single thing regarding those teams. It's just his agent trying to scare teams that he doesn't like for Ricky).

In any case, those two teams cannot afford to miss a high round pick (remember when the Magic drafted Fran Vazquez in the lottery to never play a single minute in the NBA?. That's exactly what they should be afraid of) so there's a chance he might end up in Sacramento.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:18 pm
TMC wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
E-Man wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:And thr Kings.... HAHAHAHHAHAHA, they will be back in the same spot next season.

yeah...honestly..if i were the Kings GM, id trade Kevin Martin for a good point guard. Francisco Garcia can hold it down at SG and all they would have to do is get a banger at PF or C. They would have jason thompson or nocioni at 3 and hawes at 4 or 5 depending on the big man they get.

Ricky Rubio does NOT want to play for Oklahoma City or Memphis. Sacramento does not seem to be a problem

Well, Sacramento likes Jason Thompson and Hawes... both of them have played pretty good at the 4 and 5 spots, so i think they are fine with them as starters.

There are two things hurting the kings. That is Depth and Leadership. it is no surprise that when they made Kevin Martin there "go-to-guy" they starting falling. K-Mart is a great player, but he isnt a leader. PLayers are looking for him to lead, but he doesnt step it up. (as i have said before, he is eerily similar to Monta Ellis in many ways, including this issue).

-----------------------------------------------------
HERE is my Scenario:
So, K-Mart isnt the problem. They just need a true leader. This draft, the Kings SHOULD be doing trades, most likely with memphis. IF i were the Kings, i would Swap this years 2nd rounder, Francisco Garcia and next years first round pick (which should be pretty low) for Memphis's 2nd overall pick and Darko.

Why good for memphis? Well Darko might be bolting to Europe, so you don't have to deal with him, get a good 6th man/sometime starter (if Mayo plays the point if Conley struggles). PLus next years draft has so many big men (unlike this years guard-laden class), so it can better address their needs. They can go after an expirer via another trade. PLus, they have another 1st round pick (28th).

Why good for the Kings? Because they need to restart. Getting 2 picks in the top 4 draft will begin a new era in sacramento. They can get Rubio and also Harden or Thabeet. The kings would have a competitive and young starting 5. Plus, they have another 1st rounder (23rd) from Houston. So thats 3 1st rounders, which they can pick the best player available (all 5 positions needed) for their bench.

This is what i think (yes really... all my idea, no lie). I hope it doesnt happen cuz i would prefer Rubio as a Warrior, but I think for a Kings Fan, it is a dream situation, and a good one for Memphis in the short term and long term

Sounds about right, although I think it's more feasible that Memphis takes Thabeet (who might not be around at #4, as OKC seems to be high on him) and Sacramento trades up one spot with OKC. Garcia, a second and their #4 might just do the trick.

This is all pending on Rubio refusing to play for OKC and Memphis. That's the case right now, and his agent is even saying he'd stay here for a few years if any of those teams pick him (although, personally, I don't think Ricky has said a single thing regarding those teams. It's just his agent trying to scare teams that he doesn't like for Ricky).

In any case, those two teams cannot afford to miss a high round pick (remember when the Magic drafted Fran Vazquez in the lottery to never play a single minute in the NBA?. That's exactly what they should be afraid of) so there's a chance he might end up in Sacramento.

What's happening with Fran Vazquez? Is he going to the Magic or never playing in the nba

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:08 pm
migya wrote:What's happening with Fran Vazquez? Is he going to the Magic or never playing in the nba

Probably the latter. He hasn't showed any interest in playing for Orlando in the last few years, so I think it's pretty safe to consider it a wasted pick by the Magic.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:09 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:What's happening with Fran Vazquez? Is he going to the Magic or never playing in the nba

Probably the latter. He hasn't showed any interest in playing for Orlando in the last few years, so I think it's pretty safe to consider it a wasted pick by the Magic.

Where's he playing now and how much is he making? You'd think he'd be up for playing in the best league and would probably be set to make more money than what he makes in Europe

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:17 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

Where's he playing now and how much is he making? You'd think he'd be up for playing in the best league and would probably be set to make more money than what he makes in Europe

He's playing for Barcelona, for a bit more of what the Magic can offer him (according to the rookie salary table). Problem is, he's not even a full time starter (Illiasova is usually the starter at PF).

His last two years have been just terrible, but he looked a bit better this season (a bit means a bit. He was basically a role player, but at least didn't suck the minutes he had).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:25 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:

He's playing for Barcelona, for a bit more of what the Magic can offer him (according to the rookie salary table). Problem is, he's not even a full time starter (Illiasova is usually the starter at PF).

His last two years have been just terrible, but he looked a bit better this season (a bit means a bit. He was basically a role player, but at least didn't suck the minutes he had).

Sounds like the Magic made a mistake drafting him and good that he didn't even turn up there, could have been an alltime bust member

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:30 pm
Ok, now that the draft is closer (and that I finally have some time to do it), I'm gonna resurrect this thread to post my classic (and totally wrong) mock draft. Here it comes:

1 Clippers: Blake Griffin.- In a one man draft, it's not like this is a difficult pick to make.

2 Grizzlies: Hasheem Thabeet.- I think they'll try to move the pick, but nobody will give up everything they're asking for to trade down, so they'll be forced to keep it. With the kind of roster they have, Thabeet makes a lot of sense.

3 Thunder: Ricky Rubio.- Ricky seems to be more open to play in OKC than ever before. I blame Sam Presti.

4 Kings: Tyreke Evans.- Tough pick. I think they're after Ricky, and I'm sure they're high on Flynn, but seems to high for him. So I'm giving them a guy that still has to discover if he's a SG or a PG, but who has the most NBA ready physique of any PG of this draft.

5 Timberwolves: James Harden.- I think the Wolves will try to move these two picks to get a top #3 one and grab Rubio or Thabeet. But, if they can't, I think Harden would be a good fit here.

6 Timberwolves: Jonny Flynn.- And, if they keep the pick, I guess they'd try to solve their PG issues with this one.

7 Warriors: Jordan Hill.- I think Nellie really wants to go with Monta at the point, and he's already (allegedly) made a promise to Hill if he's there. It'd be an intriguing pick, to say the least.

8 Knicks: Stephen Curry.- The Knicks get lucky after the Wolves trade, and Curry is there for them in this mock. Worst kept secret of the league.

9 Raptors: Demar DeRozan.- With the latest moves of the Wolves, DeRozan and his athleticism is there for the Raps to draft.

10 Bucks: Jrue Holiday.- Allows them to not re-sign Sessions and would be a great value at this point.

11 Nets: Terrance Williams.- They get lucky Williams is there in this new version of the mock. Clark is the B plan, but it won't be the case this time.

12 Bobcats: Gerald Henderson.- Another team after Terrance Williams, they'll have to settle for Gerald Henderson, who was the other guy they were considering.

13 Pacers: Brandon Jennings.- Probably the most talented guy left. He'd go higher if he knew how to use that talent properly.

14 Suns: Earl Clark.- Still think the Suns will try to trade this pick, but, if not, Clark makes a lot of sense with as much upside as anybody left.

15 Pistons: B.J. Mullens.- Everybody says the Pistons have made him a promise. They say it ain't so. I say it is.

16 Bulls: DeJuan Blair.- Some people say he's a top 10 talent. Some that he's not gonna make it in the NBA. In any case, he's gonna add some much needed toughness to the Bulls inside game.

17 76ers: Ty Lawson.- Even if he stays, Andre Miller ain't getting any younger.

18 Timberwolves: Austin Daye.- I think Daye is an intriguing prospect, with as much potential as any player still available. And, at #18, the Twolves look like a team that shouldn't be afraid to take a high-risk, high-reward guy like him.

19 Hawks: Tyler Hansbrough.- Exactly the opposite to the previous pick. The Hawks are in win now mode, and Hansbrough had a great workout for them a few days ago. Also, it's not like the Hawks don't have a need for an inside guy like him.

20 Jazz: James Johnson.- I honestly don't know what the Jazz will do, but, if Boozer leaves, this pick makes a lot of sense. Johnson has been slipping a bit, but he has too much value at this point to keep falling.

21 Hornets: Sam Young.- Young should be a good defender and his versatility should allow him to help from the beginning. Also, the Hornets have lots of forwards, but some are up there in age, and Wright hasn't showed any consistency.

22 Mavericks: Jeff Teague.- Best availabe player. Should be a steal at this point.

23 Kings: Omri Caspi.- A big project. Haven't seen him much, but the Kings don't need him to explode right away.

24 Trailblazers: Eric Maynor.- I really expect them to move the pick for a vet or a future pick, but, as I don't consider trades in my mock, let's go with the highest rated player, and also one that fits a need.

25 Thunder: Derrick Brown.- There's always a surprise at the end of the first round of a second round guy that gets drafted a big higher than he should. This is it (but only due to how weak the draft is).

26 Bulls: Jonas Jerebko.- Another big project, another team that won't ask him to solve their problems right away.

27 Grizzlies: Chase Budinger.- Great shooter... exactly the kind that got drafted in the second round in previous drafts.

28 Timberwolves: Patrick Mills.- I'd go with Calathes, but seems like he'll end up playing in the greek league next season, and that may mean he'll fall to the second round. Meanwhile, Mills should add depth and another option to the Twolves weakest position.

29 Lakers: Marcus Thornton.- To be honest, I didn't know who they should pick, but I like this kid's game. Can be a steal this late in the first round.

30 Cavaliers: Wayne Ellington.- I expect them to trade the pick, but, if not, Ellington wouldn't be a bad replacement for Pavlovic, who they're trying to trade.

Damn, that was long...
Last edited by TMC on Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:34 pm
They did a mock draft in ESPN the Magazine and now posted on ESPN.com where a player from each team was responsible for drafting for their team.

Ronny Turiaf was our drafter. Here is his pick. I knew I liked Turiaf!

7. Warriors/Ronny Turiaf select ...

Ty Lawson, PG, North Carolina

"He's a tough-minded kid, can score in many ways and is an outstanding passer," says center Ronny Turiaf. "Ty can fill the point guard position and allow Monta Ellis to get out on fast breaks. He's also an underrated defender. I can see Ty becoming a smaller version of Chauncey Billups."

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:31 pm
bada wrote:They did a mock draft in ESPN the Magazine and now posted on ESPN.com where a player from each team was responsible for drafting for their team.

Ronny Turiaf was our drafter. Here is his pick. I knew I liked Turiaf!

7. Warriors/Ronny Turiaf select ...

Ty Lawson, PG, North Carolina

"He's a tough-minded kid, can score in many ways and is an outstanding passer," says center Ronny Turiaf. "Ty can fill the point guard position and allow Monta Ellis to get out on fast breaks. He's also an underrated defender. I can see Ty becoming a smaller version of Chauncey Billups."

i saw that and was thinking the same thing...i just think its a bit high for ty lawson.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:34 am
Man, my mock lasted like... 4 hours. The Wolves trade with Washington changes it all.

Well, maybe not that much, but I'm sure Hill won't be the Wolves pick.

Ok, I'm gonna edit it right away.
Previous

Return to NBA Forum