NBA Draft/Lottery Thread

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:51 pm
Talking about the lottery, who goes where and what is gonna go on, and the draft.... thread.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:58 pm
Clippers are getting ANOTHER Bigman.... by winning this lottery. They already have Zack Randolph, Chris Kamen, DeAndre Jordan, Marcus Camby, and not presumably Blake Griffin.

Memphis getitng the second pick.. will they draft another Spaniard?

And thr Kings.... HAHAHAHHAHAHA, they will be back in the same spot next season.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:10 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Clippers are getting ANOTHER Bigman.... by winning this lottery. They already have Zack Randolph, Chris Kamen, DeAndre Jordan, Marcus Camby, and not presumably Blake Griffin.

And thr Kings.... HAHAHAHHAHAHA, they will be back in the same spot next season.

Maybe we can get one of their big men for Maggette since they seem to want him back so badly...
All Star
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:47 pm
I say they should draft Rubio and trade Baron back to us for Maggette.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:26 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Clippers are getting ANOTHER Bigman.... by winning this lottery. They already have Zack Randolph, Chris Kamen, DeAndre Jordan, Marcus Camby, and not presumably Blake Griffin.

They HAVE to trade a couple of those guys away. If they draft Griffin, which they should, they can't have all those big men on the roster. I'm thinking Camby and Randolph need to go.

And does Memphis take another chance on a Spaniard? Gasol was great for them, and now they have another Gasol. Navarro left them to go back to Spain. So it'll be interesting to see where they go there. They do need a PG, as the ones they have either haven't became what they wanted or are nothing special.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:23 pm
xbay wrote:They HAVE to trade a couple of those guys away. If they draft Griffin, which they should, they can't have all those big men on the roster. I'm thinking Camby and Randolph need to go.

They'll take Griffin. They've even admitted that much. And Griffin is only gonna have one workout before the draft (with LAC, of course). That pick is set in stone.

What they should do is move Zach... but I don't think there's a market for him out there. Kaman is a lot more tradable.

In any case, LAC looks really good right now:

Baron / Mike Taylor
Eric Gordon / Mardy Collins / Ricky Davis
Al Thornton / ???
Griffin / Zach Randolph
Camby / Kaman / Jordan

That's a playoff team. Even more, if Baron is happy and committed (big if), that's a team good enough to have a deep run in the playoffs. Although I still do believe they have to replace Mike Dunleavy to be competitive.

xbay wrote:And does Memphis take another chance on a Spaniard? Gasol was great for them, and now they have another Gasol. Navarro left them to go back to Spain. So it'll be interesting to see where they go there. They do need a PG, as the ones they have either haven't became what they wanted or are nothing special.

It seems like Thabeet and Rubio are the two guys they covet the most. Personally, I don't think Thabeet deserves to go second. I don't even know if I'd pick him in the lottery, although this draft doesn't have many true centers, and that helps him.

I'd go for Rubio in a heartbeat (and try to trade Conley), but I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick Thabeet, as they seem to be really high on him.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:08 am
TMC wrote:
xbay wrote:They HAVE to trade a couple of those guys away. If they draft Griffin, which they should, they can't have all those big men on the roster. I'm thinking Camby and Randolph need to go.

They'll take Griffin. They've even admitted that much. And Griffin is only gonna have one workout before the draft (with LAC, of course). That pick is set in stone.

What they should do is move Zach... but I don't think there's a market for him out there. Kaman is a lot more tradable.

In any case, LAC looks really good right now:

Baron / Mike Taylor
Eric Gordon / Mardy Collins / Ricky Davis
Al Thornton / ???
Griffin / Zach Randolph
Camby / Kaman / Jordan

That's a playoff team. Even more, if Baron is happy and committed (big if), that's a team good enough to have a deep run in the playoffs. Although I still do believe they have to replace Mike Dunleavy to be competitive.

That's not a playoff team. You can't expect me to believe that with the addition of Griffin the Clippers are going to go from a 19 win team to a 50+ win team in the West. Its not like they have a Dwayne Wade on their team who can take over games. Eric Gordon is good but he's not that good. Maybe 2 years down the road when Griffin has more experience and Eric Gordon has developed his game they'll be a playoff team.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:02 am
saintdee wrote:That's not a playoff team. You can't expect me to believe that with the addition of Griffin the Clippers are going to go from a 19 win team to a 50+ win team in the West. Its not like they have a Dwayne Wade on their team who can take over games. Eric Gordon is good but he's not that good. Maybe 2 years down the road when Griffin has more experience and Eric Gordon has developed his game they'll be a playoff team.

What I mean is that it's a playoff team on talent, but things have to go their way to actually be one. Baron has to stay healthy for, at least, 70 games and must want to play. Other players that have been injures this past year, like Thornton, also have to stay healthy for a good chunk of the season... and, what's more important, they have to replace Mike Dunleavy. That guy just doesn't have a clue about how to coach a roster like that.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:32 am
I cant help but think Blake Griffin is not going to be a star. I would not trade Anthony Randolph for him out of the gates. His offensive game is limited and I dont think he will be a good defender at the next level. Given the depth the Clippers have in the front court, to me, it seems like the pick would have to be Rubio. Baron is most likely not going to play 60 or more games and Rubio would be a great insurance policy against Baron being Baron.

I like the idea of Blake, but this lottery seemed like a trap.....kinda like the Joe Smith year. The team that wins the lottery is going to take a servicable player, but pass on future stars. A bit like Oden over Durant I suppose!
All Star
Poster Credit: 16
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:12 pm
His offensive game is limited? He has handles, can pass, can jump out the gym, can shoot mid-range or post you up, all this while being 6'10 250 lbs... how is that limited?

Seriously...
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:18 pm
Beast Mode wrote:His offensive game is limited? He has handles, can pass, can jump out the gym, can shoot mid-range or post you up, all this while being 6'10 250 lbs... how is that limited?

Seriously...

First of all, he is not 6 foot 10 and does not have a good jump shot. Im not saying he will be a bust, but I dont think he will be the franchise savior, cant miss player that everyone seems to think he will be. He definitely can jump out of the gym, but its a lot easier to dominate in college than in the NBA. I like the kid, but in a way Im glad the Dubs did not win the lottery.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:25 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:And thr Kings.... HAHAHAHHAHAHA, they will be back in the same spot next season.

yeah...honestly..if i were the Kings GM, id trade Kevin Martin for a good point guard. Francisco Garcia can hold it down at SG and all they would have to do is get a banger at PF or C. They would have jason thompson or nocioni at 3 and hawes at 4 or 5 depending on the big man they get.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:50 pm
E-Man wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:And thr Kings.... HAHAHAHHAHAHA, they will be back in the same spot next season.

yeah...honestly..if i were the Kings GM, id trade Kevin Martin for a good point guard. Francisco Garcia can hold it down at SG and all they would have to do is get a banger at PF or C. They would have jason thompson or nocioni at 3 and hawes at 4 or 5 depending on the big man they get.

And they're are in a perfect spot to land a SG (Harden, DeRozan...) in the draft, while there's no PG (other than Rubio, who won't be there) that deserves to go that high.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:38 am
I don't think the team can get a player that will have much of an impact here in this draft. I'm more interested whether Crawford will opt out or not, as that is a ton of salary gone and a great opportunity for either Belinelli or Morrow or both to do what they did in flashed this season. Thinking about it, landing a free agent PG like Sessions or Felton, both for a bit less than the salary Crawford gets, then drafting Harden (if he's still available) would be a great transition

migya make the ring fall on ya

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:10 am
E-Man wrote:

Ricky Rubio does NOT want to play for Oklahoma City or Memphis. Sacramento does not seem to be a problem

Well, Sacramento likes Jason Thompson and Hawes... both of them have played pretty good at the 4 and 5 spots, so i think they are fine with them as starters.

There are two things hurting the kings. That is Depth and Leadership. it is no surprise that when they made Kevin Martin there "go-to-guy" they starting falling. K-Mart is a great player, but he isnt a leader. PLayers are looking for him to lead, but he doesnt step it up. (as i have said before, he is eerily similar to Monta Ellis in many ways, including this issue).

-----------------------------------------------------
HERE is my Scenario:
So, K-Mart isnt the problem. They just need a true leader. This draft, the Kings SHOULD be doing trades, most likely with memphis. IF i were the Kings, i would Swap this years 2nd rounder, Francisco Garcia and next years first round pick (which should be pretty low) for Memphis's 2nd overall pick and Darko.

Why good for memphis? Well Darko might be bolting to Europe, so you don't have to deal with him, get a good 6th man/sometime starter (if Mayo plays the point if Conley struggles). PLus next years draft has so many big men (unlike this years guard-laden class), so it can better address their needs. They can go after an expirer via another trade. PLus, they have another 1st round pick (28th).

Why good for the Kings? Because they need to restart. Getting 2 picks in the top 4 draft will begin a new era in sacramento. They can get Rubio and also Harden or Thabeet. The kings would have a competitive and young starting 5. Plus, they have another 1st rounder (23rd) from Houston. So thats 3 1st rounders, which they can pick the best player available (all 5 positions needed) for their bench.

This is what i think (yes really... all my idea, no lie). I hope it doesnt happen cuz i would prefer Rubio as a Warrior, but I think for a Kings Fan, it is a dream situation, and a good one for Memphis in the short term and long term
Next

Return to NBA Forum