Student body presidency election

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:24 pm
Hey guys im running for president in my school and im one of the top two candidates in the running but I need that extra something to ensure my victory so I was wondering what ideas u guys could offer as I respect the opinions of the people on this board greatly. Anything from things i should put in my speech to campaign ideas.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:07 pm
jimbob631 wrote:Hey guys im running for president in my school and im one of the top two candidates in the running but I need that extra something to ensure my victory so I was wondering what ideas u guys could offer as I respect the opinions of the people on this board greatly. Anything from things i should put in my speech to campaign ideas.

You in high school jimbob? Thought you were older, don't know why.

Why not take the fun route and do a wet T-Shirt contest, getting both male and female population going. You'll be popular for sure :mrgreen:

Cover issues and be seen as no different to the other students. Equality is the greatest quality

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:13 am
migya wrote:

You in high school jimbob? Thought you were older, don't know why.

Why not take the fun route and do a wet T-Shirt contest, getting both male and female population going. You'll be popular for sure :mrgreen:

Cover issues and be seen as no different to the other students. Equality is the greatest quality

Gawd, it's people like Migya that give Australians a bad name.

Actually **** it, SEX SELLS.

I'd actually be inclined to get the school rally behind you with the help of your school/college mascot. I think the best way to do this is lets use UC Berkeley and there Golden Bear mascot and you should hold a prep rally where you rally the students and you give them a big spiel why you'd be the best... the mascot could jump around and do fist air pumps.. maybe sing the school warcry... but the important bit is.

YOUR UC BERKELEY GOLDEN BEAR has to then rape a USC Trojan or a Florida Gator (whatever is your schools mascot needs to anally dominate your opposing rival school mascot)

Actually if your not to keen on the BEAR and Alligator sex.. maybe the bear could just playfight with the Alligator and stand over his opponent victorious.
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:56 am
Say your opponent:

Kills baby owls for fun,
is the great grandson of Stalin,
and bathes in puppy blood

didn't work for me when I tried to become president of my college dorm room, but it might work for you, who knows?

Ok if you don't want to go down that route, I had a few friends in college that ran for various student gov't positions... here's the best advice I sucked up from them:

General Campaign shiit:

1. Get to know as many people as you can. way more important than posters or flyers. Make posters sure, but find time to get to know the school.

2. Try to be as sincere as you possibly can. You have to actually BE interested in the various needs of your school not just want the title of president. teens can smell fake **** a mile away.

3. Have your shiit together, but don't look anal. This uber-conservative classmate of mine ran for president, and everyday he would dress up like in full dress attire (minus the sport coat). Nobody in our class could relate to him and he ended up losing. just show up on-time to class make sure your clothes aren't falling apart, don't be a mooch.

4. never appear to be begging for votes. goes a long with the don't be fake mantra.

5. If you are meeting new people or a new click, start by ask a bunch of general questions about who they are, what they are interested in. Then slowly steer the conversation into the current state of the school -> what they like about it, what they don't like about it -> where they'd like to see it go -> around this time mention you're new ideas -> link their needs to your ideas.

6. DON'T ASK "so what do you look for in a president?" sounds like campaign lingo (fake), and more importantly, kidz don't bother to think about shiit like that. It's kinda like asking "so what do you look for in a boyfriend?" to a chick you've just started talking to. awkward and it looks like you need serious help. Also it makes you look like you don't have direction. I'd say better to have a plan of action and ask for criticism than to ask students to help you figure out what a class president should do.

7. Smile. put yourself in a good mood every time you go in public. that just helps you in general with women, bosses, teachers, whoever.

8. I personally hate flyers. as a comedian dave barry once said, "it's like the person handing them out is saying 'hey! why don't you throw this away for me?'". much rather look at posters. oh yeah, and don't go nuts with them either. It should be eye catching, sure, but don't spend 90% of your campaign bedazzling a poster or some shiit.

Speech advice:
Personally I think the students voting pay way more attention to HOW the speech is given rather than the actual content. If you really don't know much about that stuff than read articles on the internet or rent a book from the library about public speaking.
I'd say listen to a bunch of campaign speeches from the '08 election, dilute it a little bit, and throw it into your speech. all that garbage is just the same shiit rearranged anyway. Just center the speech around "I am here to represent you guys and get your voices heard" and "I will work harder than anyone" type stuff. the biggest piece of advice I learned from my public speaking class in college is write a thorough outline. outline! not index cards! Outline! don't leave that crap till the last minute either. practice it over and over and over till you can do it in your sleep.

Campaign Ideas:
This should really come from your classmates and since I don't know your school take advice from me with a grain of salt in this area:

- student organizers for the students. my high school president and college presi seemed to push for these.
- parking issues - one presi running for re-election was boasting he reduced parking permit prices. In high school, the seniors had personalized parking places (a temp plaque with a name, nickname or short phrase) I think that idea was started by a class presi.
- the worlds longest slip n' slide! I used to make them in my dorm room in college (yes, inside) and it accidentally won me a bunch of street cred around the school. if you are having a pep rally or something maybe do that?
- public council meetings - don't really know what to call them exactly, but monthly or maybe bi-weekly meeting where students can come and bitch to you about what a bad job you're doing. :) seriously though, it sounds good in a speech and people never actually show up.
- raising school spirit and/or sports team awareness. maybe do something like - get a raffle ticket every time you go to a sporting event. then at the end of the year, do a raffle for an iPod or something cool (free court-side warrior tickets!!!!).
- more trash cans and/or more recycling bins. because people are lazy, and they don't like looking at trash.
- comfort stuff - go around into each classroom and figure out what crap really needs to be fixed to make the learning environment better... flickering lights, a new air conditioner/heater, broken/squeaky desks, leaks in the ceiling, broken vending machines, water fountains. etc. I'd check with the school administration to see if they have the budget for that crap before you sling it into a speech, but figuring out specific needs of the school like that looks good. esp true when most of your campaign speech is a bunch of vague politician mumbo jumbo.

my brain is tired from coming up with so many brilliant ideas. haha good luck
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:04 am
first off wrote:Say your opponent:

and bathes in puppy blood

Dude... they were the words broadcasted by espn into every jail in america right before Michael Vick hit the fish bowl...

Seriously i got no time in the world for puppy blood

first off wrote:3. Have your shiit together, but don't look anal. This uber-conservative classmate of mine ran for president, and everyday he would dress up like in full dress attire (minus the sport coat). Nobody in our class could relate to him and he ended up losing. just show up on-time to class make sure your clothes aren't falling apart, don't be a mooch.

First off brings up a valid point... if your gonna get your **** together then you gotta get the prom queens **** messed up.. try running into here in the school hallway and make her knock over her Science and Math Textbooks..

imediately go to the ground and help pick up her papers and books. Don't snoop and offer to tutor her with her algabra if you glance at the paper... But maybe try and tell her a secret general math rhyme or science formula that can help her in everyday life.

If she asks for the tutoring lessons, then no matter where the study session is going down turn up in your backpack and ave some some portable candles, ipod speakers and maybe a bottle of fine red.

If she nails the study formula and enjoys the session. quickly prepare the candle, ipod, wine and picnic blanket then take her glorious on the rug with your seaman running down her pearlnecklace.. it definately worked for me in high school.
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:22 pm
PaWnOgRaFfItI wrote:First off brings up a valid point... if your gonna get your **** together then you gotta get the prom queens **** messed up.. try running into here in the school hallway and make her knock over her Science and Math Textbooks..

imediately go to the ground and help pick up her papers and books. Don't snoop and offer to tutor her with her algabra if you glance at the paper... But maybe try and tell her a secret general math rhyme or science formula that can help her in everyday life.

If she asks for the tutoring lessons, then no matter where the study session is going down turn up in your backpack and ave some some portable candles, ipod speakers and maybe a bottle of fine red.

If she nails the study formula and enjoys the session. quickly prepare the candle, ipod, wine and picnic blanket then take her glorious on the rug with your seaman running down her pearlnecklace..

pawno... wow. :mrgreen:
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:51 pm
PaWnOgRaFfItI wrote:First off brings up a valid point... if your gonna get your **** together then you gotta get the prom queens **** messed up.. try running into here in the school hallway and make her knock over her Science and Math Textbooks..

If she nails the study formula and enjoys the session. quickly prepare the candle, ipod, wine and picnic blanket then take her glorious on the rug with your seaman running down her pearlnecklace.. it definately worked for me in high school.

Genius. Post of the year. :D :mrgreen:
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:33 pm
The best way to do it is not come off as some kiss ass straight A student type. Nobody likes those, Especially representing them. You gotta represent who the majority are, which are average to pretty good students. You want to let them know that you aren't the type that's going to get to friendly with the administrators and end up being their pawn. Try to be a bit politically incorrect in your speech. Without naming names, explain why it's stupid to have a kiss-ass straight A chick be the class president. Explain that a much better option for them is someone whose crafty and knows how to slack a little bit and how to initiatives done that help support slackers. Imply subtly that you know how to weaken a system from within and that having you as president would be the principals worst nightmare. Make it clear that you'd be willing to sacrifice a bit of your clean image and possibly even get in a little trouble for the sake of unclenching the iron fist of the school staff.

Rep the slackers and dominate bro!

Return to Off-Topic Forum