Moving up in draft to get Rubio

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:14 am
Rubio has said he will go into the draft, but he still can opt out before mid June I think it is.

The fortune that the Warriors have is that most of the teams in the lottery already have a starting PG that is either very good, good and young or too highly paid to be able to trade. What this means is that the competition to get Rubio should be much less than for a very good big player draft pick.

Wiz have Arenas who is a star PG obviously and though he is now a very injuryprone player and best to be dumped by his team, his high salary makes him almost unmoveable. Wiz wouldn't get Rubio, it would be a waste and the only thing he'd be good for is trading, UNLESS they would have him at PG, Arenas at SG, Butler at SF and Jamison at PF, which might well work.

Thunder have Westbrook who they just drafted a year ago and he has shown very good ability and is their keeper at PG. Again, they'd get Rubio to trade him, if they draft him at all.

Clippers have Baron, who had a pretty awful season by his standards, but just signed a new contract that is high salary and he is very hard to move. They wouldn't get Rubio unless they could move Baron I think.

TWolves have Foye, who can be a SG and is probably better there actually. They might or might not want Rubio.

Toronto, another lottery team has Calderon, again, no need for another PG.

Same with Nets with Devin.

Indiana has Ford and Jack, both have been good as PGs so maybe they wouldn't go for Rubio if they had the chance.

If Bucks resign Sessions, they would have him and Ridnour at PG so they wouldn't go for Rubio.

Bobcats have Felton and Augustin so they have no need for another PG.

Phoenix has Nash, but that'd go for Rubio in a heartbeat, as Nash is nearing retirement and will likely leave within a year anyway.

Knicks have Duhon and Nate Robinson, but they would likely go for Rubio, as he has more talent than Duhon and is much more of a distibutor than Nate.

Kings would definately get Rubio, they need a PG real bad.

Memphis is the team that a deal could be done with. If they get Rubio, they would trade Conley and he'd be good on the Warriors. His performance the last couple of months was quite good and he could be had for Belinelli, maybe just Watson. Same thing with Sessions, though he likely wouldn't be offered a contract if Bucks got Rubio and so the Warriors could try to get him.

There are some options to get Rubio, like trading up with either of the two teams that have the top two picks, but there are also options in getting a very good PG as well via free agency, such as AMiller, Kidd, Bibby, restricted free agent PGs are Felton, Sessions and JJack. Sessions could really be an option if Crawford opts out and I'd offer him 7-9 million a year for four or five years, as he is proven but not that proven to be making 10 million or over

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:36 am
Some of those points are true, some are just wishful thinking. Let's go team by team:

migya wrote:Wiz have Arenas who is a star PG obviously and though he is now a very injuryprone player and best to be dumped by his team, his high salary makes him almost unmoveable. Wiz wouldn't get Rubio, it would be a waste and the only thing he'd be good for is trading, UNLESS they would have him at PG, Arenas at SG, Butler at SF and Jamison at PF, which might well work.

I think they'd get him in a heartbeat and move Arenas to SG. They're less than satisfied with Nick Young, who only knows how to score and doesn't contribute at anything else, so they're in need of either a SG or PG, with Arenas playing the other spot. Rubio has more potential than any other guard in the draft, so, unless they get the #1 overall and draft Griffin, they'd draft Rubio.

Although some players like Butler want them to trade the pick for a vet if they can't draft Griffin, so there might be a chance there...

migya wrote:Thunder have Westbrook who they just drafted a year ago and he has shown very good ability and is their keeper at PG. Again, they'd get Rubio to trade him, if they draft him at all.

Agreed. Although with a new regime in town, you never know. Still, they don't have a clear need for him.

migya wrote:Clippers have Baron, who had a pretty awful season by his standards, but just signed a new contract that is high salary and he is very hard to move. They wouldn't get Rubio unless they could move Baron I think.

Also agreed. But they need depth, above anything else, because their starting 5 is set with Baron, Gordon, Thornton, Randolph and Camby/Kaman, so I wouldn't be surprised if they still go for Rubio to back up Baron for a couple of years.

migya wrote:TWolves have Foye, who can be a SG and is probably better there actually. They might or might not want Rubio.

Considering they have had Telfair playing PG and Foye at SG, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't wait a second to draft Ricky.

migya wrote:Toronto, another lottery team has Calderon, again, no need for another PG.

Yeah, no need for him, but Colangelo usually goes for players with potential more than need, so I also wouldn't be surprised to see him there. Ricky can also play some SG, even tho his 3pt shooting is probably the worst part of his game.

migya wrote:Same with Nets with Devin.

Yep. That's another team I can't see drafting him. There's no need for him and also doesn't fit that well with what they want to do.

migya wrote:Indiana has Ford and Jack, both have been good as PGs so maybe they wouldn't go for Rubio if they had the chance.

They're shopping Ford around, and Jack is a keeper... but he doesn't have Ricky's upside, so I wouldn't be surprised if they go after him. Still, the Pacers are another team without a clear need for a PG.

migya wrote:If Bucks resign Sessions, they would have him and Ridnour at PG so they wouldn't go for Rubio.

I strongly disagree. I don't think Skiles likes any of his PGs, so I'm sure the Bucks would strongly consider him if he's available. Actually, I'd be shocked if he's available and the Bucks pass for any other players (not named Griffin).

migya wrote:Bobcats have Felton and Augustin so they have no need for another PG.

Well, I think Felton will be traded. Augustin has played well enough in his rookie season to be the Bobcats starter for next year, but Rubio has A LOT more upside than him... You never know with Larry Brown, tho. He might decide to trade the pick for a vet instead of adding a rookie, no matter how talented he is.

migya wrote:Phoenix has Nash, but that'd go for Rubio in a heartbeat, as Nash is nearing retirement and will likely leave within a year anyway.

Yep, Rubio would be a perfect replacement for Nash. Also, one season learning from the MVP wouldn't hurt his development. It'd be a win-win situation for Phoenix.

migya wrote:Knicks have Duhon and Nate Robinson, but they would likely go for Rubio, as he has more talent than Duhon and is much more of a distibutor than Nate.

Yeah, if Rubio is available, I think NY wouldn't doubt about adding him. Duhon will be a free agent in two years (and he'd be pretty tradable, as well) and Robinson ain't a pure PG. I can't see any reason to not draft him.

migya wrote:Kings would definately get Rubio, they need a PG real bad.

They have Udrih just signed to a long term contract, but I agree. They'd draft him and let him learn for a year, to trade Udrih after that.

migya wrote:Memphis is the team that a deal could be done with. If they get Rubio, they would trade Conley and he'd be good on the Warriors. His performance the last couple of months was quite good and he could be had for Belinelli, maybe just Watson. Same thing with Sessions, though he likely wouldn't be offered a contract if Bucks got Rubio and so the Warriors could try to get him.

They're less than satisfied with Conley, although his second half of the season has been much better than the first one. Still, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's the pick. Also, Memphis has... something with Spaniards. Both Gasol brothers, Navarro... there's a pattern.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:21 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Clippers have Baron, who had a pretty awful season by his standards, but just signed a new contract that is high salary and he is very hard to move. They wouldn't get Rubio unless they could move Baron I think.

Also agreed. But they need depth, above anything else, because their starting 5 is set with Baron, Gordon, Thornton, Randolph and Camby/Kaman, so I wouldn't be surprised if they still go for Rubio to back up Baron for a couple of years.

I can see them getting Rubio and have him coming off the bench for most if not all of next season, looking to trade Baron the whole time, but it is a big risk, because there would be a big chance of Rubio not getting much court time (unless they would go as far as to sit Baron, the player on 13 million a year) and Rubio (not sure of his attitude) could want out of there.

TMC wrote:
migya wrote:TWolves have Foye, who can be a SG and is probably better there actually. They might or might not want Rubio.

Considering they have had Telfair playing PG and Foye at SG, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't wait a second to draft Ricky.

Yea, they are better off with another PG and Rubio might just put the finishing touches on that team, as they would then have a very nice, young lineup that they could develop and keep for over ten years if they wanted. They could even become championship caliber if it all worked out.

TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Toronto, another lottery team has Calderon, again, no need for another PG.

Yeah, no need for him, but Colangelo usually goes for players with potential more than need, so I also wouldn't be surprised to see him there. Ricky can also play some SG, even tho his 3pt shooting is probably the worst part of his game.

Can't see such a young, thin and physically weak player play SG in the nba. Rubio could give it a go, but it would be the worst thing to put him in that position. Torontojust isn't right for him unless he's the PG.

TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Indiana has Ford and Jack, both have been good as PGs so maybe they wouldn't go for Rubio if they had the chance.

They're shopping Ford around, and Jack is a keeper... but he doesn't have Ricky's upside, so I wouldn't be surprised if they go after him. Still, the Pacers are another team without a clear need for a PG.

Yea, Indiana doesn't seem to like Ford and his distributing certainly fell from being real good among PGs to just above average. They probably would go for Rubio and do what they can to move Ford, who I wouldn't mind having here, but he might be paid too much for what he gives going by this season.

TMC wrote:
migya wrote:If Bucks resign Sessions, they would have him and Ridnour at PG so they wouldn't go for Rubio.

I strongly disagree. I don't think Skiles likes any of his PGs, so I'm sure the Bucks would strongly consider him if he's available. Actually, I'd be shocked if he's available and the Bucks pass for any other players (not named Griffin).

Could be, but that will have to be seen. If Bucks got Rubio, they pretty much wouldn't keep Sessions and I'd be after him as hemight be a good fit here.

TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Bobcats have Felton and Augustin so they have no need for another PG.

Well, I think Felton will be traded. Augustin has played well enough in his rookie season to be the Bobcats starter for next year, but Rubio has A LOT more upside than him... You never know with Larry Brown, tho. He might decide to trade the pick for a vet instead of adding a rookie, no matter how talented he is.

Hard to tell with Bobcats. If they don't want Felton, I'd certainly take him here, above all other available PGs and maybe he could be had for no more than 5 million a year for four or five years.

TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Phoenix has Nash, but that'd go for Rubio in a heartbeat, as Nash is nearing retirement and will likely leave within a year anyway.

Yep, Rubio would be a perfect replacement for Nash. Also, one season learning from the MVP wouldn't hurt his development. It'd be a win-win situation for Phoenix.

That could well be the perfect situation for both parties, Rubio and the Suns. Rubio learns from one of the best PGs ever, while having no pressure and then gets to be the PG to lead that team from the following year onwards.

TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Kings would definately get Rubio, they need a PG real bad.

They have Udrih just signed to a long term contract, but I agree. They'd draft him and let him learn for a year, to trade Udrih after that.

They'd take Rubio and dump Udrih on the bench as a twelveth man if they had to. Udrih has been a pretty big disappointment and a bad signing by theKings for that many in the first place.

TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Memphis is the team that a deal could be done with. If they get Rubio, they would trade Conley and he'd be good on the Warriors. His performance the last couple of months was quite good and he could be had for Belinelli, maybe just Watson. Same thing with Sessions, though he likely wouldn't be offered a contract if Bucks got Rubio and so the Warriors could try to get him.

They're less than satisfied with Conley, although his second half of the season has been much better than the first one. Still, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's the pick. Also, Memphis has... something with Spaniards. Both Gasol brothers, Navarro... there's a pattern.

Think they'd take Rubio and look to trade Conley straight away and I'd go for him here, he could be a good fit and likes to distribute. Conley could actually be as good a fit as any other PG for the Warriors

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:39 am
as much as i'd love to see rubio in oakland, nelson wouldn't play him. he doesn't trust rookies. look at his track record. he certainly wouldn't trust rubio to run the offense. look at how the demarcus nelson experiment turned out. short lived.

as long as grampa nelly is the sheriff, the kids better stay off the lawn.

but man, dreaming of rubio/ellis/morrow/randolph/biedrins for years to come is a nice pipe dream. :)
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:45 am
Nelson seems to have a willingness to play rookie guards. It is rookie "bigs" that he seems much more uncomfortable with.
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:57 am
Rubio will go at #3 to OKC who will then look to shop the pick. They like Westbrook too much and know they can get good value for the European PG.

If I were Larry Riley/Nellie I would make the following move:

GSW trades #7 pick + Brandan Wright for OKC #3 pick Ricky Rubio

Rubio is the real deal. The type of pg that does not come around very often. He is truly in the mold of a Pete Maravich and would be a perfect fit on the Warriors who desperatly need a pg.

I say go after Rubio hard!
It may be premature and believe me, I am one of Chris Mullins biggest fans (both as a player and GM), but I like what Larry Riley is doing. At least so far....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:16 am
colligreen wrote:If I were Larry Riley/Nellie I would make the following move:

GSW trades #7 pick + Brandan Wright for OKC #3 pick Ricky Rubio

That's not even close to the real value of the #3 pick (that is, if Rubio is still there). It would have to be something like #7 + Monta (although OKC would prefer Biedrins or Randolph, but that'd be crazy) for that pick.

I'm not sure how much trade value Wright has around the league, but one thing is for sure: it's not too high.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:45 am
MCJackintheBox wrote:as much as i'd love to see rubio in oakland, nelson wouldn't play him. he doesn't trust rookies. look at his track record. he certainly wouldn't trust rubio to run the offense. look at how the demarcus nelson experiment turned out. short lived.

as long as grampa nelly is the sheriff, the kids better stay off the lawn.

but man, dreaming of rubio/ellis/morrow/randolph/biedrins for years to come is a nice pipe dream. :)

The demarcus nelson experiment was short lived because the guy was not a PG. He was a college forward that had no business trying to run a team. did the playing time given to CJ and Morrow not lead you to belive that Nellie will play young guards? he just does not like playing young front court players, he makes them earn their time away from gametime, while letting the smaller "NellieBall" players show what they have on the floor.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:50 pm
i still think our best bet is staying away from this draft class completely and trading our pick along with crawford or maggette. having the youngest team in the league, i think an experienced player would be very valuable to our squad.

If the players projected to go at #7 (Jennings mostly) are as promising as many on this board are saying, then playoff teams might be willing to make a trade to get them. Jenning i assume would play point guard in the league, and there are a couple playoff teams that may be looking for point guard depth. Houston comes to mind, as well as Portland, Philly, Boston, and Atlanta...Maybe the Bulls if they trade Hinrich.

I just think we would have better options through trade than we do drafting this year.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:12 am
E-Man wrote:i still think our best bet is staying away from this draft class completely and trading our pick along with crawford or maggette. having the youngest team in the league, i think an experienced player would be very valuable to our squad.

If the players projected to go at #7 (Jennings mostly) are as promising as many on this board are saying, then playoff teams might be willing to make a trade to get them. Jenning i assume would play point guard in the league, and there are a couple playoff teams that may be looking for point guard depth. Houston comes to mind, as well as Portland, Philly, Boston, and Atlanta...Maybe the Bulls if they trade Hinrich.

I just think we would have better options through trade than we do drafting this year.

I've said it for months, the team is too young already and no other draft pick, unless a real star, is needed. The team needs a very good PG and that's really about it, in order to be a playoff team. Getting rid of two of the bad contracts would be ideal as well, as would getting a tough rebounder that can play in the team system to come off the bench

Return to Trades