NBA Playoffs Competition

Forum for any fantasy basketball leagues being organized

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:37 pm
I'd like to get in on this if its not too late.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:39 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
TMC wrote:My system wouldn't be that hard to get. It would just combine both systems in one, giving points for an original bracket of the whole playoffs and points for earch round picks...

Still, for the sake of simplicity, I like this one:

migya wrote:I agree completely with you War Years and that is how it should be done, like the NCAA comp. We should have it like:

1st round = 2 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

2nd round = 3 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

3rd round (Conference Finals) = 4 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

4th round (Finals) = 5 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

What do you all think?

Easy, clean and to the point. Count me in for this one.

ok... can i propose a modification to the point totals... cuz with this system, most the points will be coming in the first round. The NCAA doubles the point value through each round as the games shrink in half. The way we have it now, the majority of the points come out of the first round, so we might already have a winner early into this thing.

So instead of what we have now (2,3,4,5) and the +1 bonuses, i propose something like (1,2,4,8) with +1 bonuses in the first 2 rounds, and + 2 bonuses in the last two rounds?

get what i am trying to say

Barely, your first paragraph is understandable. Your second is cooly inept, by that I mean, is the cool emoticon your sign language for the number 8? Then I understand you.
Then the 2 bonus tier system. Is that part of the NCAA system? Is it really more important to pick the number of games in the latter rounds?

One big problem under your system as I understand it, is that you get equally rewarded in round 1 for picking the number of games ( 1 pt. ) as you are for picking the winner. ( 1 pt. )

So now we are getting increasingly complicated again. Too many more rounds of this will surely give me a headache.

[
b]The way we have it now, the majority of the points come out of the first round, so we might already have a winner early into this thing. [/b]

Yes, not quite half the points but the majority of the picks are in the first round. The advantage won't be as much if we pick round by round.
So this is what we call " honing a consensus". All right, I'll also go with this, disparities in all. Have we decided "all at once" or "round by round"?
War Years

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:21 pm
War Years wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
TMC wrote:My system wouldn't be that hard to get. It would just combine both systems in one, giving points for an original bracket of the whole playoffs and points for earch round picks...

migya wrote:I agree completely with you War Years and that is how it should be done, like the NCAA comp. We should have it like:

1st round = 2 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

2nd round = 3 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

3rd round (Conference Finals) = 4 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

4th round (Finals) = 5 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

What do you all think?

ok... can i propose a modification to the point totals... cuz with this system, most the points will be coming in the first round. The NCAA doubles the point value through each round as the games shrink in half. The way we have it now, the majority of the points come out of the first round, so we might already have a winner early into this thing.

So instead of what we have now (2,3,4,5) and the +1 bonuses, i propose something like (1,2,4,8) with +1 bonuses in the first 2 rounds, and + 2 bonuses in the last two rounds?

Barely, your first paragraph is understandable. Your second is cooly inept, by that I mean, is the cool emoticon your sign language for the number 8? Then I understand you.
Then the 2 bonus tier system. Is that part of the NCAA system? Is it really more important to pick the number of games in the latter rounds?

One big problem under your system as I understand it, is that you get equally rewarded in round 1 for picking the number of games ( 1 pt. ) as you are for picking the winner. ( 1 pt. )

So now we are getting increasingly complicated again. Too many more rounds of this will surely give me a headache.

[
b]The way we have it now, the majority of the points come out of the first round, so we might already have a winner early into this thing. [/b]

Yes, not quite half the points but the majority of the picks are in the first round. The advantage won't be as much if we pick round by round.
So this is what we call " honing a consensus". All right, I'll also go with this, disparities in all. Have we decided "all at once" or "round by round"?

haha the cool emotion.. i dunno how that got there.. i am assuming putting an 8 right after a parenthesis makes that symbol through a code.

I think we decided we were gonna do it all at once (i wanted round by round, but i was alone in this). I was trying to edit the point totals... so at least it was not all lenient to the early rounds, and make each round more or less even.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:57 pm
metalface wrote:I'd like to get in on this if its not too late.

Me too.

Metalface and fine. Add them.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:39 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

What do you all think?

I like Crackerz' idea.

What do you guys think of this:

2nd round = 4 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

3rd round (Conference Finals) = 8 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

4th round (Finals) = 16 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

migya make the ring fall on ya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:51 pm
so the games start in like what... 12 hours... and no one has posted... maybe if i am the only one, i will win!!!

P.S. i still think we should pick one series at a time.

FIRST ROUND
1. L.A. vs. 8. Utah (in 6)
4. Port vs. 5. Hou (in 6)
3. San Ant vs. 6. Dallas (in 7)
2. Denver vs. 7. N.O. (in 5)

1. Clev vs. 8. Det (in 5)
4. Atla vs. 5. Miami (in 7)
3. Orl vs. 6. Philly (in 5)
2. Bost vs. 7. Chi (in 7)

i will do the rest later and within the time constraint.. i am very busy and got an importante test tomorrow at 8 am... so sorry
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:27 pm
My picks for the first round (we can talk about whether we should pick round by round or the whole playoffs over the next day or two):

FIRST ROUND
WEST
1. L.A. vs. 8. Utah = Lakers in 6
4. Port vs. 5. Hou = Rockets in 6
3. San Ant vs. 6. Dallas = Spurs in 6
2. Denver vs. 7. N.O. = Nuggets in 6

EAST
1. Clev vs. 8. Det = Cavs in 5
4. Atla vs. 5. Miami =Hawks in 6
3. Orl vs. 6. Philly = Magic in 4
2. Bost vs. 7. Chi = Celts in 7

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:32 am
My picks:
EAST:
1. Cavs vs. Detroit. Cavs in 4.
2. Boston vs. Bulls. Boston in 6.
3. Magic vs. 76ers. Orlando in 6.
4. ATL vs. M.I.YAYO. Miami in 7.

WEST
1. LA vs. Jazz. Lakers in 5.
2. Denver vs. N.O. Denver in 6.
3. Spurzzz vs. Dallas. Dallas in 7.
4. Houston vs. Portland. Portland in 7.

Im really scared about the Spurs/Mavs series and the Boston in the second round if they get in.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:20 am
FIRST ROUND
1. L.A. vs. 8. Utah (in 5)
4. Port vs. 5. Hou (in 7)
3. San Ant vs. 6. Dallas (in 6)
2. Denver vs. 7. N.O. (in 6)

1. Clev vs. 8. Det (in 4)
4. Atl vs. 5. Miami (in 7)
3. Orl vs. 6. Philly (in 6)
2. Bost vs. 7. Chi (in 5)

From this first round, Portland vs Houston, San Antonio vs Dallas and Miami vs Atlanta (I'm not gonna bet against Wade in that one) are the only ones I'm not totally sure about.

I think Boston will have a field day with Chicago and Powe will have a monster series against the Bulls. They won't miss KG during the first round, but it will be different in the next one.

btw, the Hawks vs Heat matchup is the one I'm more thrilled about. Those games are gonna be fun...

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:22 am
i'll do all the playoffs for i will not be able to come often here later on in 2-4 weeks (most probably) - and it's more fun! but, (if you do) i can suggest to do it round by round by dumping down the points you get if you vote after each round - for it's not fair to the ones who guessed right at the beginning
:mrgreen:
so i go, i name a winners only

1rnd. west:
lal in 5
dal in 7
por in 7
den in 6

1rnd. east:
cle in 5
atl in 7
bos in 6
orl in 6

2rnd west:
lal in 7
dal in 7

2rnd east:
cle in 6
bos in 7

final west
lal in 7

final east
cle in 7

FINALS
lal in 7
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:08 am
maybe we should give people the option to do round by round or all at once. For example, if you chose all at once, you would get a 10 point bonus or something.... so it compensates for not being there.

I was about to complete my playoffs, only to see that the people who followed me only completed the first round too... so maybe we should keep it like how i just suggested. And Martin for example, cuz he did it all at once, would have no control of his picks after, prolly deserves a 10 point bonus as it is more difficult and the odds are against him to succeed.

Last question, are we doing a scoring system for each round. I suggested previously that we should do something like 1,2,4,8 points respective to each round. and not including the bonuses which we should prolly keep to one point. Migya, i saw u had 2,4,8,16 but i thought the higher totals were unessisary and make the bonuses pretty useless if those totals are so high. Are we down with 1,2,4,8? or are we gonna do 2,4,8,16.

Also, i am gonna keep a tab on the standings.... Migya, as thread creator, you should do it too, so just if anyone got questions about there score, we got 2 sources of how they can compare... sometimes when there is just one standings and if for some reason their are errors, it takes a while to know where it happen... with 2 sets of standings, it avoids confusion... welll, IMO.

Peyce guys, im taking a test that will determine my career path of being a future california teacher or a future california bum. So i wont be around for hours (aka wen the playoffs start), so hopefully more people join.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:43 am
Cavs in 5
Heat in 7
Orlando in 4
Celts in 6

Lakers in 5
Dallas in 6
Denver in 7
Houston in 6
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:55 am
Guys have given their 1st round predictions, but not which scoring system they would like. I think the last one I posted, basically War Years and Crackerz both came up with it, is the way to go, with the scoring system going 2,4,8,16 with each round (check that post that explains it)

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:48 am
I knew Mc Crackerz 8 point system would lead to a 16. It was inevitable.
I guess it is official, women are much better at coming to a consensus than men.-----duh!

Ok for now, my picks are:
West
LA-------in 5
Houston in 7
Denver- in 6
SA-------in 7

East
Cleveland in 5
Atlanta----in 6
Boston----in 6
Orlando---in 5

Best matchup---Houston Vs. Portland
War Years
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:55 pm
EAST

Cavs in 5
Bulls in 6
Magic in 5
Hawks in 6

WEST

Lakers in 6
Blazers in 6
Nuggets in 6
Spurs in 7
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
PreviousNext

Return to Fantasy League Forum