NBA Playoffs Competition

Forum for any fantasy basketball leagues being organized

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:56 pm
Question Migya... with your system, we will only choose for the first round right? then choose the 2nd round and others when that time comes, right?

I'm down with your way... and TMC and xbay earlier this week said their down with that one too... so lets just do yours.

fine for everyone?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:28 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Question Migya... with your system, we will only choose for the first round right? then choose the 2nd round and others when that time comes, right?

I'm down with your way... and TMC and xbay earlier this week said their down with that one too... so lets just do yours.

fine for everyone?

Well, I thought it would be like the NCAA Tournament, where you make your predictions for each round before the playoffs start, that way making it a real tornament, but I don't mind either way, though much more of a challenge like the NCAA tournament way

migya make the ring fall on ya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:52 pm
migya wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Question Migya... with your system, we will only choose for the first round right? then choose the 2nd round and others when that time comes, right?

fine for everyone?

Well, I thought it would be like the NCAA Tournament, where you make your predictions for each round before the playoffs start, that way making it a real tornament, but I don't mind either way, though much more of a challenge like the NCAA tournament way

but with the bonus points too, don't you think its too much just doin a one time deal?...The NCAA tourney lasts 3 weeks, the NBA playoffs last 8-9. There is just too much that can happen (regardless of how much an expert you are) to predict. IMO at least.

I was thinking we can predict through each round. Cuz we are doing the guess in how many games bonus, so we can have a standings list like in the first post. What do you guys think?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:54 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
migya wrote:

fine for everyone?

but with the bonus points too, don't you think its too much just doin a one time deal?...The NCAA tourney lasts 3 weeks, the NBA playoffs last 8-9. There is just too much that can happen (regardless of how much an expert you are) to predict. IMO at least.

I was thinking we can predict through each round. Cuz we are doing the guess in how many games bonus, so we can have a standings list like in the first post. What do you guys think?

Depends what everyone wants, I'm pretty much alright either way, but do prefer predicting all rounds before playoffs start.

Standings in the first post is a great idea

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:07 pm
migya wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
migya wrote:

fine for everyone?

Depends what everyone wants, I'm pretty much alright either way, but do prefer predicting all rounds before playoffs start.

What about both? 1 point for the winner of the series, 2 for the right number of games (only valid if you guess the winner) and 3 bonus points if you get right the whole round. Of course, those 3 points will be granted for earch round that was picked prior to the playoffs, not if you've already failed one.

The idea is as follows, we pick right now the winners of the whole playoffs. If we get right the whole round winners, we'll get 1 point for each series, 2 for each one in which we've guessed the right number of games and 3 bonus points for getting all the winners. And we still have the chance to keep playing for those 3 bonus points in the next round. Once we fail one series winner, we can keep picking the 1 and 2 point sets, but the 3 bonus points are gone for the rest of the playoffs.

Might sound a bit confusing, so let me know if you want me to explain it with a example or something.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:04 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
migya wrote:

fine for everyone?

What about both? 1 point for the winner of the series, 2 for the right number of games (only valid if you guess the winner) and 3 bonus points if you get right the whole round. Of course, those 3 points will be granted for earch round that was picked prior to the playoffs, not if you've already failed one.

The idea is as follows, we pick right now the winners of the whole playoffs. If we get right the whole round winners, we'll get 1 point for each series, 2 for each one in which we've guessed the right number of games and 3 bonus points for getting all the winners. And we still have the chance to keep playing for those 3 bonus points in the next round. Once we fail one series winner, we can keep picking the 1 and 2 point sets, but the 3 bonus points are gone for the rest of the playoffs.

Might sound a bit confusing, so let me know if you want me to explain it with a example or something.

man... thats like a brain kill... i get your concept (i think), but wouldn't be hard to keep track of all of that... i was hoping we made something simple. I'd rather do one or the other TMC, your mesh is just insane.

Ok, i will wake up in 7 hours or so (still didnt finish my damn paper), so i gotta do that. SO hopefully you 2, and others, pick something reasonable. I like the pick style with the bonuses. the only difference between mine and migya's is mine picks each round, while his is a one time pick (here's my bias... its a 2 month playoffs... if its only one time pick, will we care a month later? i prolly wont).

so decide, and if you guys want the latter, then so be it. i'll play either way.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:27 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
migya wrote:

fine for everyone?

man... thats like a brain kill... i get your concept (i think), but wouldn't be hard to keep track of all of that... i was hoping we made something simple. I'd rather do one or the other TMC, your mesh is just insane.

Ok, i will wake up in 7 hours or so (still didnt finish my damn paper), so i gotta do that. SO hopefully you 2, and others, pick something reasonable. I like the pick style with the bonuses. the only difference between mine and migya's is mine picks each round, while his is a one time pick (here's my bias... its a 2 month playoffs... if its only one time pick, will we care a month later? i prolly wont).

so decide, and if you guys want the latter, then so be it. i'll play either way.

Yea TMC, that is pretty complicated. Keeping it basic is best, especially how this is not done through a website, but manually.

Everyone else have their say and we'll start our picks.

BIGS, you in or not?

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:03 am
I like doing it like an NCAA bracket much better.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:05 am
Migya Said:
1 point for picking the correct series winner and 2 points for getting the number of games right for that series. Ofcourse, the number of games have to be right WITH the correct winner of that series, not the wrong winner. Plain and simple, not hard to understand and the more the merrier, makes it more interesting with more competition.

Since we are making a competition of this :
Isn't it more important to get the winner, then the number of games? So someone could not pick the Champ and win because he just happened to more correctly pick the number of games in the first 3 rounds?

If we include number of games in the series at all, I'd probably give 2 for the winner and 1 for number of games.
I don't know why we necessarily have to complicate it . We can have multiple winners, how many matchups will there be, 16? Whoever gets the most matchups wins.
Or if you want, you can give 3 extra points for the champ, 2 for the semi final winners, 1 for the quarter final winners.
I guess either of those is my vote. Or we can all employ our own systems and say we won.
War Years
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:16 am
War Years wrote:Migya Said:
1 point for picking the correct series winner and 2 points for getting the number of games right for that series. Ofcourse, the number of games have to be right WITH the correct winner of that series, not the wrong winner. Plain and simple, not hard to understand and the more the merrier, makes it more interesting with more competition.

Isn't it more important to get the winner, then the number of games? So someone could not pick the Champ and win because he just happened to more correctly pick the number of games in the first 3 rounds?

If we include number of games in the series at all, I'd probably give 2 for the winner and 1 for number of games.
I don't know why we necessarily have to complicate it . We can have multiple winners, how many matchups will there be, 16? Whoever gets the most matchups wins.
Or if you want, you can give 3 extra points for the champ, 2 for the semi final winners, 1 for the quarter final winners.
I guess either of those is my vote. Or we can all employ our own systems and say we won.

I agree completely with you War Years and that is how it should be done, like the NCAA comp. We should have it like:

1st round = 2 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

2nd round = 3 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

3rd round (Conference Finals) = 4 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

4th round (Finals) = 5 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

What do you all think?

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:03 am
migya wrote:
War Years wrote:Migya Said:

I agree completely with you War Years and that is how it should be done, like the NCAA comp. We should have it like:

1st round = 2 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

2nd round = 3 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

3rd round (Conference Finals) = 4 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

4th round (Finals) = 5 points for picking winner of a series + 1 point for getting number of games correct

What do you all think?

In the interest of simplicity, I'm with that. Are we going to get a consensus? Or would somebody like to propose some modifications?
War Years

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:22 am
the thing with the NCAA tourney scoring system, is that in the NBA its a best of 7 series...so it's less likely that there is gonna be an upset and injuries can occur during the series. with the NCAA tourney they only play one game per round.

i think itd be best to keep it the way originally planned. 2 points for the winner of the series and 1 for the correct number of games (or migya's idea above where you increase points per round)....however, instead of keeping a total running score, what about keeping the bonus points seperate as the tie breaker?

i will be gone most of today so whatever you guys decide i'll be down with. if you need me to be a tie breaker, then send me a PM by 9pm tonight and ill log on and break it.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:50 pm
The bonus points? Meaning the 1 Pt. apiece for the correct number of games? If that's a tie breaker that's OK with me.

On reflection, I think it would be best to do it round by round. Obviously if somebody misses one in the first round there is little chance he'll be able to recover, because that miss will reflect on future matchups.
I guess I go with the idea of it being not so much of an elimination, but I think it's more fun if more people are in it in the later rounds. It adds to the suspense, and there could be come from behind victories. So my vote is for a new picks at the beginning of each round.
Or we can predict it all now, and predict the rounds as they come and probably have 2 winners. But my vote is round by round. But I'll go with the consensus.
War Years
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:42 pm
My system wouldn't be that hard to get. It would just combine both systems in one, giving points for an original bracket of the whole playoffs and points for earch round picks...

Still, for the sake of simplicity, I like this one:

migya wrote:I agree completely with you War Years and that is how it should be done, like the NCAA comp. We should have it like:

What do you all think?

Easy, clean and to the point. Count me in for this one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:01 pm
TMC wrote:My system wouldn't be that hard to get. It would just combine both systems in one, giving points for an original bracket of the whole playoffs and points for earch round picks...

Still, for the sake of simplicity, I like this one:

migya wrote:I agree completely with you War Years and that is how it should be done, like the NCAA comp. We should have it like:

What do you all think?

Easy, clean and to the point. Count me in for this one.

ok... can i propose a modification to the point totals... cuz with this system, most the points will be coming in the first round. The NCAA doubles the point value through each round as the games shrink in half. The way we have it now, the majority of the points come out of the first round, so we might already have a winner early into this thing.

So instead of what we have now (2,3,4,5) and the +1 bonuses, i propose something like (1,2,4,8) with +1 bonuses in the first 2 rounds, and + 2 bonuses in the last two rounds?

get what i am trying to say
PreviousNext

Return to Fantasy League Forum