Our man Diogu finishes with a bang

Talk about anything general in the NBA here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21366
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:36 pm
Our man Diogu just had a great last game of the season, about the only game he's played in actually.

28pts, 10/1 FGs, 8/11 FTs, 13rebs, 1stl, 3 TOs.


I liked him when he was here and think he just didn't get a fair chance with Nelson and he did perform very well in the very short minutes he had here
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:54 pm
The kid was lazy on defense, if he even played defense. And he was just a lazy player overall when it came to committing himself to improving his overall game.

I wouldn't get too hyped up over these stats. I remember he put up similar stats in his break out game against Detroit when he was still with us. He's inconsistent. If there was another game, I'd put my money on that he probably fouls out or does poorly.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21366
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:04 pm
xbay wrote:The kid was lazy on defense, if he even played defense. And he was just a lazy player overall when it came to committing himself to improving his overall game.

I wouldn't get too hyped up over these stats. I remember he put up similar stats in his break out game against Detroit when he was still with us. He's inconsistent. If there was another game, I'd put my money on that he probably fouls out or does poorly.



Like I said, he never got any real opprtunity when he was here and the times he did get a chance, he almost always did great. He was a great post scorer and jump shooter, as well as rebounder and pretty good shotblocker. He hasn't had much of a chance in Sacramento either, but today they gave him a chance and that's the result
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:41 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:41 pm
Two nights before he put up 32 and 11 against Nene and the Nuggets in Denver...Kings fans are probably wondering why he hadn't played until now
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21366
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:06 pm
J. Shuttlesworth wrote:Two nights before he put up 32 and 11 against Nene and the Nuggets in Denver...Kings fans are probably wondering why he hadn't played until now



I'm wondering why he didn't play much here! That laziness BS is just that. The guy had inside skills the team needed so badly and got so little chances
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

Starting Lineup
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:55 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:51 am
I also once liked Diogu. I thought he might turn out to be the unseen factor in the big trade for the Pacers. ( Do you know, at the Pacer press conference, Byrd decried losing Lecikevitcus ( sp. ). almost more than anyone else, where is he now, the European league? )

One stat I haven't looked into is a possible record with the 2006 Warriors. Do you know there may have been 10 or 11 Warriors on that team who scored 30 points in a game in that season? Remember Anthony Roberson? He scored 30 points for us and was discarded around the time of the big trade. It could be that 11 Warriors scored 30 points that season. I know Davis, JR, Ellis, Biedrins, Murphy, Jackson, Harrington, Roberson, Barnes did. I'm not sure about Dunleavy and Pietrus.

My point being that there are plenty of players like Diogu who can shoot a 30 point game in the NBA against a weak opponent, or on an off day, or in a season ending unimportant game. I think the problem is with consistency.
I don't know about his practice regimen. But maybe his blase', loner sort of countenance works against him as well.

This is a question I ponder most about Bellinelli. It's too bad about his injury, it would have been interesting to see how long he could have maintained that level of play he was having in January/ Feb. While I suspect Wright may not be a consistent scorer. I could see him getting consistent boards on a night to night basis.
Last edited by War Years on Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War Years
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:08 am
migya wrote:
J. Shuttlesworth wrote:Two nights before he put up 32 and 11 against Nene and the Nuggets in Denver...Kings fans are probably wondering why he hadn't played until now



I'm wondering why he didn't play much here! That laziness BS is just that. The guy had inside skills the team needed so badly and got so little chances


It's not BS. He hasn't improved at anything, it seems. He was a pretty good inside scorer and a guy that can get boards, but one of the worst defensive PFs in the NBA. And still is. Just look at his record, he hasn't been able to get consistent playing time for the Warriors, Pacers, Blazers and Kings (he only got minutes in the two final games of the season). There's a pattern there...
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1758
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am
Location: napa
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:32 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
J. Shuttlesworth wrote:Two nights before he put up 32 and 11 against Nene and the Nuggets in Denver...Kings fans are probably wondering why he hadn't played until now



I'm wondering why he didn't play much here! That laziness BS is just that. The guy had inside skills the team needed so badly and got so little chances


It's not BS. He hasn't improved at anything, it seems. He was a pretty good inside scorer and a guy that can get boards, but one of the worst defensive PFs in the NBA. And still is. Just look at his record, he hasn't been able to get consistent playing time for the Warriors, Pacers, Blazers and Kings (he only got minutes in the two final games of the season). There's a pattern there...


Ike is Mr. Garbage Time! He would show flashes of brilliance, that made us all believe he could really live up to what we all expected of him, then he would remind us all why he never got any PT.

Rookie
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:50 am
Location: Vallejo
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:49 am
I watched that game as i flipped back and forth to ESPN.

His number are inflated. If you look at his movement and his skills on the floor, he looked really bad. He wouldn't fight for his rebounds, he gave up on most plays. Most of his points were just put backs or gimmies. It's really nothing to be amazed about. Good game for him though.

You also have to look at who they were playing. A Minnesota team that really didn't wanna win. I think their main go-to guy was a guys by the name of Smith. Not sure who he was.

Overall, it was the last game of the season and everyone was just going through the motions.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:49 pm
Not only that, but if you watch him, he doesn't know where to be on offense the majority of the time. He stands around quite a lot.

Diogu had his chance. He's just too lazy. It's the same story for POB. The guy is soft, and has no heart. If he did have heart and committed himself to getting better, he'd still be on this team. And you can't completely blame Nelson for either Diogu or POB. You can't completely blame Nelson for the whole Randolph issue either.

If they're not going to practice seriously, if they're not going to commit to doing certain things they're asked, then they're not going to play.

The only difference between those two and Randolph is that Anthony finally started realizing he needed to do what he was asked and not mess around and be lazy when they shouldn't be.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3244
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:29 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:58 am
so he's kept his one good game a year, average in tact- kudos to ike
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21366
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:43 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
J. Shuttlesworth wrote:Two nights before he put up 32 and 11 against Nene and the Nuggets in Denver...Kings fans are probably wondering why he hadn't played until now



I'm wondering why he didn't play much here! That laziness BS is just that. The guy had inside skills the team needed so badly and got so little chances


It's not BS. He hasn't improved at anything, it seems. He was a pretty good inside scorer and a guy that can get boards, but one of the worst defensive PFs in the NBA. And still is. Just look at his record, he hasn't been able to get consistent playing time for the Warriors, Pacers, Blazers and Kings (he only got minutes in the two final games of the season). There's a pattern there...



Diogu played great in his very short minutes, the season he was traded, if I remember right, or it could have been the season before. He would constantky come in for 5 to 10mins and score 8-10pts, get 4-8rebs and the occasional block or two. Yes, he came in and went hard knowing he only was going to get short minutes, but it is not known if he could continue that production for longer minutes and that is because he never got the chance to show it, because he never got long minutes.

I believe he must be slow to catch on to team systems and lost desire after his second season, if not during it and now he is what he is and won't be anything great because he doesn't want to try to be, but he could have been when he first started playing in the nba. I remember Weatherspoon of the 76ers all those years ago having a great first three or four years, then disappearing once he was relegated behind the likes of Iverson, Stackhouse and Coleman in Philly and he never tried hard to get back to that level, just was happy to be in an occupation that paid him far more than any other he would be doing if he wasn't in the nba
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:02 pm
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
J. Shuttlesworth wrote:Two nights before he put up 32 and 11 against Nene and the Nuggets in Denver...Kings fans are probably wondering why he hadn't played until now



I'm wondering why he didn't play much here! That laziness BS is just that. The guy had inside skills the team needed so badly and got so little chances


It's not BS. He hasn't improved at anything, it seems. He was a pretty good inside scorer and a guy that can get boards, but one of the worst defensive PFs in the NBA. And still is. Just look at his record, he hasn't been able to get consistent playing time for the Warriors, Pacers, Blazers and Kings (he only got minutes in the two final games of the season). There's a pattern there...



Diogu played great in his very short minutes, the season he was traded, if I remember right, or it could have been the season before. He would constantky come in for 5 to 10mins and score 8-10pts, get 4-8rebs and the occasional block or two. Yes, he came in and went hard knowing he only was going to get short minutes, but it is not known if he could continue that production for longer minutes and that is because he never got the chance to show it, because he never got long minutes.

I believe he must be slow to catch on to team systems and lost desire after his second season, if not during it and now he is what he is and won't be anything great because he doesn't want to try to be, but he could have been when he first started playing in the nba. I remember Weatherspoon of the 76ers all those years ago having a great first three or four years, then disappearing once he was relegated behind the likes of Iverson, Stackhouse and Coleman in Philly and he never tried hard to get back to that level, just was happy to be in an occupation that paid him far more than any other he would be doing if he wasn't in the nba


Are you basing your first paragraph on box scores or the game live?

Because the reason why he doesn't get playing time isn't cause of what numbers he puts up, but rather what he does on the court.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21366
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:57 pm
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
J. Shuttlesworth wrote:Two nights before he put up 32 and 11 against Nene and the Nuggets in Denver...Kings fans are probably wondering why he hadn't played until now



I'm wondering why he didn't play much here! That laziness BS is just that. The guy had inside skills the team needed so badly and got so little chances


It's not BS. He hasn't improved at anything, it seems. He was a pretty good inside scorer and a guy that can get boards, but one of the worst defensive PFs in the NBA. And still is. Just look at his record, he hasn't been able to get consistent playing time for the Warriors, Pacers, Blazers and Kings (he only got minutes in the two final games of the season). There's a pattern there...



Diogu played great in his very short minutes, the season he was traded, if I remember right, or it could have been the season before. He would constantky come in for 5 to 10mins and score 8-10pts, get 4-8rebs and the occasional block or two. Yes, he came in and went hard knowing he only was going to get short minutes, but it is not known if he could continue that production for longer minutes and that is because he never got the chance to show it, because he never got long minutes.

I believe he must be slow to catch on to team systems and lost desire after his second season, if not during it and now he is what he is and won't be anything great because he doesn't want to try to be, but he could have been when he first started playing in the nba. I remember Weatherspoon of the 76ers all those years ago having a great first three or four years, then disappearing once he was relegated behind the likes of Iverson, Stackhouse and Coleman in Philly and he never tried hard to get back to that level, just was happy to be in an occupation that paid him far more than any other he would be doing if he wasn't in the nba


Are you basing your first paragraph on box scores or the game live?

Because the reason why he doesn't get playing time isn't cause of what numbers he puts up, but rather what he does on the court.



Boxscores, but a guy that scores a point a minute and almost a rebound a minute in the time he did get can't be a negative on the court. How can he?

I'm not the only one on here that was pro Diogu, Colt watched the games and constantly said that it was awful how Diogu only got short minutes with how good he played. Diogo couldn't have been that bad
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:39 pm
migya wrote:
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
J. Shuttlesworth wrote:Two nights before he put up 32 and 11 against Nene and the Nuggets in Denver...Kings fans are probably wondering why he hadn't played until now



I'm wondering why he didn't play much here! That laziness BS is just that. The guy had inside skills the team needed so badly and got so little chances


It's not BS. He hasn't improved at anything, it seems. He was a pretty good inside scorer and a guy that can get boards, but one of the worst defensive PFs in the NBA. And still is. Just look at his record, he hasn't been able to get consistent playing time for the Warriors, Pacers, Blazers and Kings (he only got minutes in the two final games of the season). There's a pattern there...



Diogu played great in his very short minutes, the season he was traded, if I remember right, or it could have been the season before. He would constantky come in for 5 to 10mins and score 8-10pts, get 4-8rebs and the occasional block or two. Yes, he came in and went hard knowing he only was going to get short minutes, but it is not known if he could continue that production for longer minutes and that is because he never got the chance to show it, because he never got long minutes.

I believe he must be slow to catch on to team systems and lost desire after his second season, if not during it and now he is what he is and won't be anything great because he doesn't want to try to be, but he could have been when he first started playing in the nba. I remember Weatherspoon of the 76ers all those years ago having a great first three or four years, then disappearing once he was relegated behind the likes of Iverson, Stackhouse and Coleman in Philly and he never tried hard to get back to that level, just was happy to be in an occupation that paid him far more than any other he would be doing if he wasn't in the nba


Are you basing your first paragraph on box scores or the game live?

Because the reason why he doesn't get playing time isn't cause of what numbers he puts up, but rather what he does on the court.



Boxscores, but a guy that scores a point a minute and almost a rebound a minute in the time he did get can't be a negative on the court. How can he?

I'm not the only one on here that was pro Diogu, Colt watched the games and constantly said that it was awful how Diogu only got short minutes with how good he played. Diogo couldn't have been that bad


He wasn't bad, he was just lazy. Plain and simple.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Next

Return to NBA Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest