Pick N Roll

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:48 am
fine wrote:fine took the initiative and set up the league himself!

it's through NBA. com- http://www.nba.com/playoffs2009/picknroll/game.jsp

League Name: Hearts
League Creator: hollyandb
League Type: private
Password: pirate

hope that's enough info to get you where you need to go.

Tried using the name and password you gave but doesn't work. I think each person has to sign up that all-Access crap. Do we have to or can we go straight to the team page?

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:34 am
I agree with migya. I tried to get there couldn't do it. Could you please describe a better step by step approach to this game?

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:05 am
OK imma just make something not needing to use the NBA website (if anyone remembers what i did for the NFL playoffs, this will be similar).

LETS DO A CONFIDENCE SYSTEM. Now what the F*ck is this, u say? Well here is what we did in the NFL (TMC won this one, BTW)

http://goldenstwarriors.com/viewtopic.p ... 63&start=0

Now what we will do here is set up a system of picking confidence on each series. As there are 8 series for the first round, we will assign points for each individual series. SO lets say, you are most confident in the Lakers series, for example, then you would assign them 8 points. Let say you are least confident in the Boston Series, again for example, you would assign them 1. See the way that we did it in the NFL league, it seems confusing at first, but its pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

We can keep standings at the bottom of the first page (like the thread starter, or i can do it, it dont matter)

Lemme know if anyone is down... I can make a separate thread on this if people wanna do both things.
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:24 am
first off wrote:just signed up, I'm eonlay. playoffs start on the 18th right?

btw I agree with whoever posted above about only liking the warriors. during the regular season, it's just hard to care about any other team unless I'm scouting potential trade trade pieces. Although come playoffs, I usually find a few teams to root for. usually it's who ever the Laker's are playing.

maybe this pick n' roll game will up my interest

btw first off is wondering why fine now refers to himself in third person.

I will be half looking at the playoffs, I would love to see a Portland / Cavs final, that would be pretty sweet or Portland / Orlando. I just dont want to see Lakers / SA or the Celts in the finals!! I guess for the Dubs, theres always next year!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:38 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:OK imma just make something not needing to use the NBA website (if anyone remembers what i did for the NFL playoffs, this will be similar).

LETS DO A CONFIDENCE SYSTEM. Now what the F*ck is this, u say? Well here is what we did in the NFL (TMC won this one, BTW)

Now what we will do here is set up a system of picking confidence on each series. As there are 8 series for the first round, we will assign points for each individual series. SO lets say, you are most confident in the Lakers series, for example, then you would assign them 8 points. Let say you are least confident in the Boston Series, again for example, you would assign them 1. See the way that we did it in the NFL league, it seems confusing at first, but its pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

We can keep standings at the bottom of the first page (like the thread starter, or i can do it, it dont matter)

Lemme know if anyone is down... I can make a separate thread on this if people wanna do both things.

This is the quote on the first page of the thread you link and refer to Crackerz:

Mr. Crackerz wrote:Confidence Points are used to give a different weight to each game in a given week. You'll assign a point value (from 1 to 15 if there are 15 games, 1 to 4 if there are 4 games, etc.) to each game based on how strongly you feel about the accuracy of your selection. If your selection is correct, you'll receive points equal to the confidence-point value you associated with that game.

So, if you pick Pittsburgh to beat Dallas and assign the game a confidence point value of 15, you'd get 15 points for a correct pick, but no points if Dallas wins. You don't lose points for an incorrect selection.

Each week's points will be tallied, and the player finishing with the highest total at the end of the year will be the winner of the group.

I've bolded the part I want to refer to and don't agree with. You should lose points if you are incorrect and the amount you lose should be the same as the amount you betted on. So if you are "really confident" a team will win and give it 15 points, going by this scoring system, then you should lose that amount if you are wrong, otherwise, anyone with smarts will justallocate the highest points for each game, that way if they get it right they get the most points possible.

How's this; We create a thread for the nba playoffs pickem and have a scoring system like the following:

1 point for picking the correct series winner and 2 points for getting the number of games right for that series. Ofcourse, the number of games have to be right WITH the correct winner of that series, not the wrong winner. Plain and simple, not hard to understand and the more the merrier, makes it more interesting with more competition.

What I'd rather have is something a bit more indepth and challenging. My second proposal, my preferred one, is the same as the first proposal, but you also try to get the correct score for both teams COMBINED in each playoff game. The person that gets closest to the correct score (ie. Is the closest to the total score in that game by both teams COMBINED), gets an extra point. Bit more complicated, but adds something more

migya make the ring fall on ya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:10 am
migya wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:OK imma just make something not needing to use the NBA website (if anyone remembers what i did for the NFL playoffs, this will be similar).

This is the quote on the first page of the thread you link and refer to Crackerz:

Mr. Crackerz wrote:Confidence Points are used to give a different weight to each game in a given week. You'll assign a point value (from 1 to 15 if there are 15 games, 1 to 4 if there are 4 games, etc.) to each game based on how strongly you feel about the accuracy of your selection. If your selection is correct, you'll receive points equal to the confidence-point value you associated with that game.

So, if you pick Pittsburgh to beat Dallas and assign the game a confidence point value of 15, you'd get 15 points for a correct pick, but no points if Dallas wins. You don't lose points for an incorrect selection.

Each week's points will be tallied, and the player finishing with the highest total at the end of the year will be the winner of the group.

I've bolded the part I want to refer to and don't agree with. You should lose points if you are incorrect and the amount you lose should be the same as the amount you betted on. So if you are "really confident" a team will win and give it 15 points, going by this scoring system, then you should lose that amount if you are wrong, otherwise, anyone with smarts will justallocate the highest points for each game, that way if they get it right they get the most points possible.

How's this; We create a thread for the nba playoffs pickem and have a scoring system like the following:

1 point for picking the correct series winner and 2 points for getting the number of games right for that series. Ofcourse, the number of games have to be right WITH the correct winner of that series, not the wrong winner. Plain and simple, not hard to understand and the more the merrier, makes it more interesting with more competition.

What I'd rather have is something a bit more indepth and challenging. My second proposal, my preferred one, is the same as the first proposal, but you also try to get the correct score for both teams COMBINED in each playoff game. The person that gets closest to the correct score (ie. Is the closest to the total score in that game by both teams COMBINED), gets an extra point. Bit more complicated, but adds something more

mig, i didnt create this confidence system. This is a system that internationally people use to bet. I been doing it for years, with dozens of people in san diego and here.

But aside from that, we don't have to do the confidence system i proposed. I thought that it was in-depth enough to where it is a challenge and simple enough that everyone can join. The guys that participated on the NFL one in the board liked it (from what i remember was commented), and my local friends use it for everything sports 'betting' (ie. college football, nfl football, baseball, nba basketball, hockey) for years.

I do like your idea of the 1st proposal. it is pretty cool, and in fact, i did something like this last year. However, the second one is incredibly complex and unfair for people who don't check this thing everyday. I think there will be like 3 participants for that one.

SO IN CONCLUSION: im thinking we can either do the confidence thing, or the first proposal of yours. Trust me, both are "challenging" enough (there no walk in the park types). They both expand on simple pick-ems, but are still manageable to attract several participants (which is funner when there a whole bunch of us, rather then just a few).

THOUGHTS?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:15 pm
I prefer migya's first option, although I'm down with anything... But we better start it soon, because I can't join the NBA bracket one. The website keeps saying it doesn't exist.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:02 pm
Tried using the name and password you gave but doesn't work. I think each person has to sign up that all-Access crap. Do we have to or can we go straight to the team page?

I agree with migya. I tried to get there couldn't do it. Could you please describe a better step by step approach to this game?

If you want to try to get into the NBA.com thingy, you do need to have an account with the site. And yes Migya, it is that 'All-Access' crap. :mrgreen:
But it is free.

After you have the account, go to the link I provided. Click on anything that says "Play Now" or "Sign Up Now". It would then ask you to join a league. Search for the league 'hearts'. Clicky on it, enter the password on the right side of the screen, and boom! You're in!

Xbay, Jimbob, and First Off have managed, and some dude calling himself 'Supreme E,' with the account name of 'Lakerfitted'. Maybe these guys can provide better help.
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:33 pm
I think doing the playoff bracket on nba.com is easier but we could do it either way. Its super easy to do u just gotta sign up for an nba.com acount which takes less than 5 minutes to do and costs no money.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:48 pm
fine wrote:If you want to try to get into the NBA.com thingy, you do need to have an account with the site. And yes Migya, it is that 'All-Access' crap. :mrgreen:

But it is free.

After you have the account, go to the link I provided. Click on anything that says "Play Now" or "Sign Up Now". It would then ask you to join a league. Search for the league 'hearts'. Clicky on it, enter the password on the right side of the screen, and boom! You're in!

Oh, I did... and at that point, once I created the account and have clicked on "play now", all I got is a "The page you attempted to access does not exist on our servers" message.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:54 pm
did u guys search the league name? Theres an option that says search leagues when u go to the pick and roll home page.

edit: I think people in europe may not be able to play because u can win prizes and **** for winning so we should just go with the other way to do it.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:00 pm
jimbob631 wrote:
edit: I think people in europe may not be able to play because u can win prizes and **** for winning so we should just go with the other way to do it.

That starts to make sense now... so the other way it is. I still vote for migya's first option.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:07 pm
I agree with migya, we should lose points in the confidence system for making a wrong pick. The point system should be like the NCAA brackets.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
Poster Credit: 9
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:06 pm
Aite, so f*ck NBA.com.

Once we (you guys) decide which method to use, can there be a new thread with the rules clearly defined in the first post? Just so things can become more clear.

I don't really know what "Migya's first option' is. (but I'm down with it)
I am Aussiebiedrins' fantasy. BITCH!
Jeg er ikke enig.... Jeg kan godt lide at spise din mors gris ben.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:39 pm
xbay wrote:I agree with migya, we should lose points in the confidence system for making a wrong pick. The point system should be like the NCAA brackets.

Lets do Migya's first proposal then if no to the confidence. I've done something like this before with hockey, so it works and is fun. The point system that i played with that is similar to migya's proposal doesn't lose you points. Its like the ncaa bracket, but with bonuses (for the correct number of series games)

BTW, you don't lose points on a confidence system. There's no point to lose points. This isn't jeopardy. The way we did the confidence system in the past was the correct way that they do everywhere (note, the confidence system is the Number 1 method used for college football gambling... so its not obscure by any means)

BACK ON TOPIC, SO we got 4 people.. right? migya, tmc, xbay and myself? MAYBE, we should make a new thread, so anyone doing the nba.com stays here, and anyone doing migya's thing goes there... DEAL?
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball