The Oakland Athletics Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:52 pm
bada wrote:agreed although I dont think it should not count. Steriods was EVERYWHERE and almost everyone KNEW it.

All this business about putting asterix on records, not getting into the hall of fame, and all that is non sense in my mind.

While Bonds most CERTAINLY was doing steriods, probably was over 60% of the pitchers he hit against. From all accounts, steriod use was ever more prevalant with pitchers than it was with position players.

Unless you can know for sure exactly who was using or not (which obviously is impossible) then everything should just count. Especially when baseball turned a blind eye

haha, ok bada, 99.9% probability

but i agree with you, EVERYONE"S (going with the CAPS theme) record should be intact, as much as it disturbs everyone, cuz in reality, it is possible ANYONE or EVERYONE used it. So we cannot just blame the ones who were caught (especially just the stars) when many more people got away with it, and maybe even some Future HOF's got away with it too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:35 pm
0-1 already...

man, they just had 3 hits... good thing their 161 more of these... and not all will be against the Angels.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:51 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:0-1 already...

man, they just had 3 hits... good thing their 161 more of these... and not all will be against the Angels.

I always hate and love opening day for this reason. I mean opening day is great, but i'm afraid to watch too many games because people gear up so much for this day that whatever happens, often times fans will extrapolate that performance and assume that's how the year will go. Not saying you're doin that Ritz, but its that and i'll hear the corny jokes about how somebody is on pace for 162 homeruns when they hit one. with that said i can't wait for tomorrow, sucks that the game is during the day and i'll be at work. i love day games though. maybe i'll catch some sort of flu overnight.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:58 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:0-1 already...

I always hate and love opening day for this reason. I mean opening day is great, but i'm afraid to watch too many games because people gear up so much for this day that whatever happens, often times fans will extrapolate that performance and assume that's how the year will go. Not saying you're doin that Ritz, but its that and i'll hear the corny jokes about how somebody is on pace for 162 homeruns when they hit one. with that said i can't wait for tomorrow, sucks that the game is during the day and i'll be at work. i love day games though. maybe i'll catch some sort of flu overnight.

yeah, like i love opening day, for all of the sports in general... gives new life for the team, and at this point, a chance in the playoffs. And those corny jokes of the homeruns in funny... Cesar Izturis hit 1 homerun today (he's had 3 HR in the last 3 years).... does that mean, he is a slugger now?
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:47 am
It was nice to see the A's put up a fight last night. Cahill looked pretty good in his first big league start. The kid is only 21 years old. Im really happy with the A's bullpen. 7 innings so far with only 1 run given up. Last night was the offense that the A's will hopefully show all season. Take the lead and add on. Yesterday was a pretty good day for both local franchises.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:36 pm
What a great win tonight... a lot of clutch and timely hits by Sweeney, NOMAR, and Holiday. Way to fight one out and comeback to get the W. Gotta love the 2 out hits.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:41 pm
BDIDDY707 wrote:What a great win tonight... a lot of clutch and timely hits by Sweeney, NOMAR, and Holiday. Way to fight one out and comeback to get the W. Gotta love the 2 out hits.

yeah, what a good series. Our young pitching looks solid, so as long as our veteran bats step up, they will do fine.

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:57 pm
yeah, what a good series. Our young pitching looks solid, so as long as our veteran bats step up, they will do fine.

Yeah i was gettin worried there for a second when it was 3-0 for a while. Then the bats kind of woke up late in the game and finally pushed across some runs.
Also cant wait to see what Brett Anderson has tomorrow. Have been impressed with Cahill and Braden surprised opening day, so hopefully he keeps the good pitching going and does a good job as well.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:17 am
Sad news out of Orange County this morning. Nick Adenhart, the young Angels pitcher who started yesterday's game against the A's, was killed in an early morning car accident in Fullerton.

RIP Adenhart. =/

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/cave ... angethorpe

Better story: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4055343
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:59 am
Yeah heard the very sad news this morning. The kid was so young too and talented. Obviously everyones thoughts and prayers are with the victims families in this horrible tragedy.

Its also disgusting how a guy can run a red light, kill 3 people, then try and run away. Thats just horrible and i dont know how any human can do such a thing. That guy deserves life in prison.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:31 am
This is not A's news, but it is about an ex-Athletic.

So Nick Swisher not only fielded and hit today for the Yankees, he also pitched an inning. Am I dreaming? Or can Swisher really pitch?
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:23 am
xbay wrote:This is not A's news, but it is about an ex-Athletic.

So Nick Swisher not only fielded and hit today for the Yankees, he also pitched an inning. Am I dreaming? Or can Swisher really pitch?

youre dreaming! the Yankees had already given up 15 runs and just didnt want to deplete their bullpen any further. given the fact that Swish is a goofball, im sure he was more than thrilled to get the chance to toe the slab. he actually struck a guy out and pitched a scoreless inning, but i would not imagine you will see teams calling the yanks about aquiring Swisher as their future closer.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:25 am
Nice win for the A's over Jon Lester and the Bo Sox. A pretty cool Nomah fact, he hit his first MLB HR (as a Sox) against the Oakland A's and his first A's HR against his former Red Sox. Braden and the pen looked great last night. This young pitching staff has been really good so far this season and the pen, outside of 1 game has been great!

Go A's!!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:13 am
"Always" Next wrote:

youre dreaming! the Yankees had already given up 15 runs and just didnt want to deplete their bullpen any further. given the fact that Swish is a goofball, im sure he was more than thrilled to get the chance to toe the slab. he actually struck a guy out and pitched a scoreless inning, but i would not imagine you will see teams calling the yanks about aquiring Swisher as their future closer.

Okay, good. Thought I was hallucinating or something.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:17 am
xbay wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:

Okay, good. Thought I was hallucinating or something.

he actually looked decent, I think he gave up a hit and a walk, but he K'd Gabe Kapler. Swisher seems like the kind of guy that probably texted Kapler 100 times after the game to remind him that he sat him down too! I love to see Swish having a great year, but its just too bad he has to do it in pinstripes.

Another solid win for the A's last night though. Gave up 3 in the top of the first, but the offense picked up their pitcher with 5 in the bottom half. The game ran until about 11:30 last night, but it was a great watch!

Go A's!!
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board