World Baseball Classic

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:40 pm
Well, it's over. The Americans went down to the Japanese 9-4 today, on our own soil. So once again, we've been beaten at the sport we began.

Honestly, I don't believe we'll ever achieve being the top dogs in the world of baseball ever again if we don't have the commitment from our top players.

Look at what Team USA did in Beijing. Colangelo got commitment from the NBA's top dogs... Kobe, LeBron, Howard, Anthony, Wade. Even look at Michael Redd. He wasn't suppose to be on the team. But the fact that he chose to look rather fashionable and tighty for his interview instead of coming in sweaty and dirty shows how much he wanted to play for the team.

If we ever get commitment from guys like Ryan Howard, CC Sabathia... the game's top stars, then I truly believe we'll be back on top.

Also, on the side, I really think that the WBC happening during Spring Training hurts us. If it was after the Fall Classic, then I think we'd be fine.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:55 am
xbay wrote:Well, it's over. The Americans went down to the Japanese 9-4 today, on our own soil. So once again, we've been beaten at the sport we began.

Honestly, I don't believe we'll ever achieve being the top dogs in the world of baseball ever again if we don't have the commitment from our top players.

Look at what Team USA did in Beijing. Colangelo got commitment from the NBA's top dogs... Kobe, LeBron, Howard, Anthony, Wade. Even look at Michael Redd. He wasn't suppose to be on the team. But the fact that he chose to look rather fashionable and tighty for his interview instead of coming in sweaty and dirty shows how much he wanted to play for the team.

If we ever get commitment from guys like Ryan Howard, CC Sabathia... the game's top stars, then I truly believe we'll be back on top.

Also, on the side, I really think that the WBC happening during Spring Training hurts us. If it was after the Fall Classic, then I think we'd be fine.

It starts with the lack of passion from the American side. If we are going to treat this as exibition games, then this is what happens. Most countries are serious about this. With the exception of US, Canada, and Italy, all nations participating tried their hardest, and had huge fan support in the homelands. We took it like a grain of salt.

The WBC can be something special, we just need the better mindset.

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:33 am
good finale yesterday... after i got home from school, i watched from the 6th inning and on. Japan vs. Korea. Extra's! Passion! It was wild. Ichiro = clutch. I wish i was there. but yeah, it was clearly one of the best game of the WBC (netherlands vs. dominican r. #1 and #2 were just as good).
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:12 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
xbay wrote:Well, it's over. The Americans went down to the Japanese 9-4 today, on our own soil. So once again, we've been beaten at the sport we began.

It starts with the lack of passion from the American side. If we are going to treat this as exibition games, then this is what happens. Most countries are serious about this. With the exception of US, Canada, and Italy, all nations participating tried their hardest, and had huge fan support in the homelands. We took it like a grain of salt.

The WBC can be something special, we just need the better mindset.

I would love to see this even succeed, but the timing is just off. You are never going to get superstar American athletes to cut their offseasons short to prepare for an event that happens pre-season. Maybe start the tournament after the world series or take a 2 week All-Star break and skip the All Star game every 4th year or whatever. There also has to be some kind of incentive in order to get the best players. I was so pissed at our weak ass showing during the classic that I didnt even watch the game last night.
Previous

Return to Sports Board