FA signing this summer

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:24 am
JayPat wrote:I hope C.J. and Morrow aren't gone after this season. C.J. has been playing well and consistently, and I'm sure he's getting attention from other teams. It's possible that we're trying to "hide" Morrow with lack of PT so another team doesn't snatch him this offseason and we can extend him for cheap.

morrow is safe. we have a two year deal with him.

I guess we can resign CJ with a early-bird exception (the exception for second year players staying with the same team) since we will most likely be over the cap. that's 175% of his old contract for 2 to 5 years. that's like 1.2 Mill per year.

that is, If he wants to stay, he's unrestricted...
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:14 pm
Hey trade and Free Agent gurus, help me understand something here.

Assume we trade Jamal this summer, can he opt out of his contract after we trade him in the off season? what I'm saying is, say hypothetically we were to trade him to the bulls for Kirk Hinrich. Could he then say "fvck that" and opt out of Chicago?
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:44 pm
lol Bulls would be laughin' all the way to the bank if they scored that!

Not 100% sure, but don't think it's something that can happen
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:44 pm
first off wrote:Hey trade and Free Agent gurus, help me understand something here.

Assume we trade Jamal this summer, can he opt out of his contract after we trade him in the off season? what I'm saying is, say hypothetically we were to trade him to the bulls for Kirk Hinrich. Could he then say "fvck that" and opt out of Chicago?

I don't know what the date for his opt out is this offseason, but I think he could be traded, it's just that the other team would have to accept understanding that he could leave without playing a single game

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:24 am
migya wrote:
first off wrote:Hey trade and Free Agent gurus, help me understand something here.

I don't know what the date for his opt out is this offseason, but I think he could be traded, it's just that the other team would have to accept understanding that he could leave without playing a single game

that would probably be a reason they accept the trade. to have ~9million come off the books just like that.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:41 am
Some how I think there is some kind of rule against that. I've never seen it happen. It's probably either illegal or really stupid for some reason.

oh wait, yeah I figured it out.
It's good for the dubs and good for the bulls, but why would jamal do it? and if crawford decides to stay than the bulls are fuccked (assuming they don't want crawford).
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:48 am
first off wrote:Some how I think there is some kind of rule against that. I've never seen it happen. It's probably either illegal or really stupid for some reason.

It's good for the dubs and good for the bulls, but why would jamal do it? and if crawford decides to stay than the bulls are fuccked (assuming they don't want crawford).

See, the Bulls would only do such a trade if they wanted Crawford, as he could still opt out unless an agreement was made with him that he wouldn't. Pretty much he is only tradeable after his date for opting out has past, then it is known his contract stance

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:42 am
migya wrote:
first off wrote:Some how I think there is some kind of rule against that. I've never seen it happen. It's probably either illegal or really stupid for some reason.

See, the Bulls would only do such a trade if they wanted Crawford, as he could still opt out unless an agreement was made with him that he wouldn't. Pretty much he is only tradeable after his date for opting out has past, then it is known his contract stance

wait so when is that date? is it based on the date he originally signed or somethin'?

by the way, in thinking about this a little more, this might be really good for all three parties (Bulls, Craw and dubs)

-Dubs get a point guard who can defend and distribute.
-Crawford gets to join a slightly better team that's at least in the eastern conference, so he may actually see the playoffs before he turns the big 3-0
-Bulls are one of those teams that are set up to get something good in the summer of 2010. they are only comitted to 26 Mill right now (although they will have to sign new players before 2010 as they do not have enough for a full roster next season)

on the surface it doesn't seem like trading them crawford accomplishes anything special. Craw's worth a little under 10 mill and Hinrich is a little under 10 as well.

HOWEVER, upon closer inspection, you'll realize that Ben Gordon's contract is up at the end of this year. that means that this summer they are either going to have to resign him or sign a FA.

If the bulls can bag a starting SG while getting rid of their un-needed Kirk Hinrich they will effectively be killing two birds with one stone.

So if the bulls don't do this trade they will have to sign a new SG AND keep a $$$ Hinrich ($$$ since he is coming off the bench in CHI). basically the bulls are probably going to trade hinrich for a SG this offseason, Please let it be with us!

hmmm..... the more I think about it the more I like the idea of nabbing Hinrich. Assuming monta's ankle isn't too F'd up, Monta and Kirk would complement each other nicely.

Kirk
Tough defender, good three point shooter, good distributor, relatively slow, doesn't attack the basket very well, @ 28, with four years of college and 6 years in the pros - has pretty much shown what he is capable of. maybe not exciting, but reliable, refined, etc. still young enough to grow with this team a little.

Monta
Weak defender, poor three point shooter, poor distributor, but Fast as F'ck, great at finishing around the rim and great general offensive game, @ 23, still has lots of potential.

OK somebody make this shiit happen.

(side note: I thought Ben just signed a new contract last summer. is hoophype and espn.com wrong?)
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:22 pm
In answer to my own question, we can't trade'em until July 1, I'm assuming that's when he can opt out and that's when the off season officially starts
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
Previous

Return to Trades