Ron Artest

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Which would be the best situation?

Ron Artest & Jeff Foster for Mike Dunleavy & Adonal Foyle
55%
Ron Artest for Derek Fisher & a couple 1st round draft picks
30%
No trade for Ron Artest
15%

Total votes : 20

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:11 pm
I'm taking the Fisher option, but here me out...

You wont find a bigger supporter of Derek Fisher than me on this board. I've believed in him from the start, I've stuck with him when he didn't perform, and (God help me) I'm actually one of the few who believes he deserves that money he's making. On the other end of the spectrum, I've never really liked Adonal Foyle (though I respect him) and I've spent my fair share of time on the Dunleavy Hater Wagon as well. So why in the hell would I take Dunleavy & Foyle (two guys who haven't been standing out lately) instead of Fisher (a guy having a breakout season with no sign of stopping)? Simply positive/negative effects:

Inside Defense

Make no mistake, Jeff Foster is garbage! He's no center. If anything, we'd be forced into making Troy the center and trying to pull off Ike at PF too soon (with Artest playing SF). Foster is of no use to us in this trade. Giving up Adonal Foyle leaves this team with absolutely no inside defense for the time being. Andris Biedrins is good, but foul prone and, yes, Ike Diogu is going to be big some day... but that day isn't here yet! Adding Artest means our perimeter defense is immediately among the best in the NBA (yes, he's THAT good), but our inside D (the real problem) gets another step down. That's not something we want.

Outside shooting

Derek Fisher's biggest contribution to this team is his surefire outside touch. When he's left opened, it's basically automatic (I've also seen him known down a few jumpers in defender's faces when he's, extremely rarely, got the same height as the opposing guard). His shot is what we value... which is why he's so expendable in a situation like this. When it comes to shooters, we've got it covered (Jason, Baron, Mike, Mickael, Derek). Basically, every one of our guards has a strong perimeter game. Artest himself even has a strong outside touch. My point is that Derek Fisher's PG game would be missed to sit Baron... but most of the things he contributes in his time on the floor can be replaced. Artest does basically the same, but more.

Artest's Talent

After going back and forth on the idea for a few days, I've decided that Ron Artest's talent alone is enough to make me welcome him to Golden State. If not, I won't shed a tear... I'm not dying for him to put on the jersey and make his way into the starting lineup, but it would be a pleasant happenstance if it were to occur. Ron Artest is playing great in Indiana who hasn't seemed to punish him at all for the Auburn Hills incident! They've stuck with him, made him comfortable, and all but forgotten his little incident (at least, in the eyes of the public). Bottom line is that they've done nothing to remind him of that incident. That being said, Artest wants a clean slate and a fresh start for himself. He wants to rid himself of these demons and start someplace else with no criminal record. I think the team that grabs Ron Artest when he's finally seen the light gets the biggest bonus of the season. How amazing would it be to pull-off the two biggest and best trades of the season 2 years in a row!? Artest's arrival in Golden State, if it's clean (a big if), would have the same impact that Baron Davis did (then again, Baron's health was "a big if" and look at how that's turned out). The players want him, the fans (for the most part) want him, and Artest is looking for a hungry, young team (like himself) to thrive with. I say, it would be best to make an advance towards him, even if we can't strike a deal. All in all, I'd take the first two trades over the thought of not even going for him.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:21 pm
I agree on almost anything, but I'm still scared of having a nutcase like Artest in the team...

But, other than that, he's a great talent, and so, he may be worth a chance, and we wouldn't lose much with those trades, I'd do the Dun & Foyle trade. I agree the inside defense would suffer a bit, but we could try giving more minutes to the rookies, and if they aren't able to manage those positions, we'd still have some assets (Fish, Pietrus, ...)to go after some help in trades.

Just my 2 cents...

But I've heard that Indy has asked the Mavs for Josh Howard or Devin Harris in a package, so the price seems to be a bit higher than what we're offering.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:53 pm
Good analysis #32. What you have said has some logic.

In all truth, I WOULD NEVER WANT ARTEST! He is a headcase, end of story! He can be the biggest bust in a long time.

Artest has also said that he only wants to go to the Cavs or the Knicks and that he will go there once he is a freeagent, which is very soon! Right there the case is closed!! The Warriors would be handing over players for nothing and ruining what has already been built!

Artest is not an issue for our team!!!!!!!!!!!

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:46 pm
Hmmm... strange that I haven't heard of those comments. Wouldn't the "Race for Artest" that's going on in the NBA be effectively destroyed if Artest really made those comments...?

I'm not being sarcastic; I'm just unsure if he made those comments because of all the hype surrounding an Artest trade. I'd imagine no team in the league would be stupid enough to deal players for him if he's already stated that he'll end up in Cleveland or New York. I'm not kidding; I know we talk about how stupid some GM's are all the time, but I can't see ANYBODY advancing towards Artest if he's already shot down the idea of playing for any other team long term. Do you have a credible source of Artest saying that he'll go to NY/Cleveland regardless of where he ends up when his contract expires?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:21 pm
He doesn't want to be in the Western Conference. He says that if he gets traded to the West, once he goes FA he'll head back East to play for NY.

That's the major problem with trading for him...he doesn't want to be here in the first place. Plus, with his attitude he'd likely add some chaos to the locker room. If it weren't for all this, I'd go with a Dun/Foyle trade, but it doesn't seem right to trade given what we know.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:26 pm
I read on both yahoosports and CBSsportsline. He said that he wanted to go to the Cavs or Knicks and that he would when he was a freeagent anyway

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:23 pm
migya wrote:I read on both yahoosports and CBSsportsline. He said that he wanted to go to the Cavs or Knicks and that he would when he was a freeagent anyway

Yeah, that's what I've been hearing.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:07 am
migya wrote:I read on both yahoosports and CBSsportsline. He said that he wanted to go to the Cavs or Knicks and that he would when he was a freeagent anyway

Yeah, he also added Miami later...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:20 am
it will work.

Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:05 pm
Keep Artest OUT of Oakland!!!

This guy is someone that CANT be helped.

Guys like Moss and Bradley are different because they look to be improving.

I dont trust Artest, plus if were gonna make a trade make it for a PF/Center.

We have enough Small Forwards.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:47 pm
I also believe that Artest is likely to ruin things here! As far as having enough SFs....... not really any that make a huge impact now. True that Artest is a talent but just too much of a risk!

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:28 am
Remember that we did get Foster and traded that for Vonteego Cummings...

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Tim
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:35 am
Look on to the future

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:38 am
Cosmos wrote:We have enough Small Forwards.

In number, yeah, but they're awful... (I'm counting Pietrus as a sg, he's undersized for some sf matchups, even if he can play that position)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:26 am
They wil get better (don't know about Dunleavy). Patience is needed but as far as the overall team's play - Smarter play, more driving and more emphasis on rebounding

Next

Return to Trades