Car crash situation...

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:29 am
Whats up everybody,
Its a little past 3 in the morning and I just had to write about what just happened to me about an hour an a half ago.

So, I was driving back from the gym and I was almost home when a cop pulled me over for having a "pending" on my registration.

***SidenoteNow, this is due to the fact that my car had not passed a smog test. The smog test failure was because when you replace the stereo deck on my type of car(1999 Passat) it has problems reading the the smog tester machine. So yesterday, I spent about an hour finally fixing the problem myself and I was honestly going to get the second smog test tomorrow before work.***

So, I showed the lady-cop that I was working on the problem and that it wasnt that I was just not taking care of it. She cut me a break, but I could have sworn she told me to hold on because she wanted me to look at something (It turned out later that she was talking to her partner which I wasnt even aware of). So I sat there waiting for her to come back and give me whatever it was that she wanted to show me. She left after 5 minutes without saying anything, she kept going the same way and her partner flipped a U-ie, so I pulled away. I got about half a block and noticed a cop car coming at me again, so I thought her partner had turned around again and was going to stop me again.

Turned out it was a third cop car that was just patrolling, he was going probably 30-35 and I slowed down slightly, I estimated 15-20. The guy didn't even like hit the breaks, he just ran right into me. Now, I understand that it wasn't smart, but at the time I was thinking, "I havent even made it half a block... What would make this cop turn around AGAIN and come this fast at me??!?!?!?!?"

I pull over and the cop approaches me and asks, "Why were you stopped in the street" I told him "I just got pulled over and I see another cop car coming at me half a block away, I was waiting to get pulled over again". Now. this cop is a complete dick, I asked if I could call my mom and he just growled "NO" asked for my license and insurance. The first cop comes back at this time and takes over because I guess the cop who hit me was off or something. She comes back and asks me what the hell happened and I told her exactly as what I was thinking.

While shes writing the report, I hear the cop who hit me telling the other cops that "I was just patrolling... He had his lights on but I looked and he was stopped in the street". Now, again I stress I was never stopped completely, I'm not that stupid, but I mean this guy was clearly more in the wrong than I was. Am I right?????

I don't know, This is mostly a rant and also asking for advice or similar stories. I'm only 20 years old and I had never been pulled over before, I had only been in a pulled over car once before in my life. My mom was really pissed off about how the cop who hit me treated me. She's already ready to go down to the station and demand that the officer man up and at least apologize or acknowledge that he was in the wrong somewhere. I always feel guilty in situations like this, even when everyone else tells me that I wasn't in the wrong.

Thanks for reading my long essay. I'm going to try and get some sleep but I doubt I will. I sort of feel like this cop is going to creep in my house and kill me or something.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:34 am
First of all, calm down, noone's coming through your window. Whether you are nervous type or not, it is good to keep a knife or baseball bat under or near your bed (off topic here as just a general statement), just a good thing to have.

Don't know how it is where you are, but where I am, anyone that crashes into the back of your car is at fault, unless they can prove you slammed on the brakes real hard and you then don't have a valid reason. TOTALLY THEIR FAULT. Make sure the prik pays whatever damages happened to your car

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:27 am
GET LEGAL HELP FAST.
You are dealing with Cops they will twist the story to suite their needs ,
Who will a judge listen to? A 20 year old kid or a Cop?
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:16 am
Thanks migya and Joel, I immediately thought about contacting a lawyer for that very same reason you said. I've watched too many police corruption movies. I also talked to my girlfriend who works for an insurance adjuster and she told me that its always the person behind's fault. I just hope I can get this fixed soon and that it won't raise my rates.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:24 am
Did you get ticketed for anything other than expired registration?

As for the cop hitting you, that's just funny. Wait for the police report and see what it concludes.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:29 am
StuckInSoCal wrote:Did you get ticketed for anything other than expired registration?

As for the cop hitting you, that's just funny. Wait for the police report and see what it concludes.

I didn't even get a police report, which I'm not sure if its normal or not. I probably should have demanded one. And no, I didn't get a ticket. I'm probably going to go down to the station and try to get a copy of the report.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:38 am
migya wrote:First of all, calm down, noone's coming through your window. Whether you are nervous type or not, it is good to keep a knife or baseball bat under or near your bed (off topic here as just a general statement), just a good thing to have.

Don't know how it is where you are, but where I am, anyone that crashes into the back of your car is at fault, unless they can prove you slammed on the brakes real hard and you then don't have a valid reason. TOTALLY THEIR FAULT. Make sure the prik pays whatever damages happened to your car

Even if you did slam on the breaks, it is the law that they stay far enough back from the car in front of you that they can come to a complete stop safely. They are in the wrong here no matter what you did, don't stress so much.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:13 pm
wow, what a night metalface. The cop hitting u (regardless of what he might say) is his fault. I hope you got the names of all the police officers involved in the situation. I would not lawyer up YET (save your money) and deal with it with your family and try to get results on your own. If they push you around, then go all out, and fight for your rights, write a letter to the ACLU to see what they have to say (and could even help you with a lawyer) or just hire one on your own. But don't shell out any unnecessary money early on representation when you might not even need it. The great/horrible (depending on the circumstance) thing of this country is that there are appeals for every decision and a billion steps. So what I often do on situations is deal with it on my own and threat to make it a legal matter if i dont get my results. They always nudge it.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:31 pm
clearly not your fault

even if you stopped in the middle of the street its still no reason to run into someone. I mean if you had car trouble and your car stalled are people allowed to hit you with their car? the answer is no.

clearly the cop wasn't paying attention to the road.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:39 pm
metalface wrote:
StuckInSoCal wrote:Did you get ticketed for anything other than expired registration?

I didn't even get a police report, which I'm not sure if its normal or not. I probably should have demanded one. And no, I didn't get a ticket. I'm probably going to go down to the station and try to get a copy of the report.

They usually make it available after they finish the investigation. I'd make a call and see what's going on with it. At least you didn't get a ticket. They obviously didn't think you were doing anything unsafe if they didn't cite you for something.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:13 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:
metalface wrote:

They usually make it available after they finish the investigation. I'd make a call and see what's going on with it. At least you didn't get a ticket. They obviously didn't think you were doing anything unsafe if they didn't cite you for something.

If you have insurance, they will secure the report and act as your representative. If you have collision insurance, many companies won't charge the deductable in non-fault situations. They will pay for the repairs and then attempt to collect the money back.

This might be better for you than trying to collect it yourself (unless you don't have collision insurance). Depending on your coverage, you might have to try to get a rental car out of them while yours is under repair.

In any case, the city's insurance company will handle it. You don't have to go down and argue with police officers. They have no say in how the claim is handled except in the issuance of the report. They are really slow in many cases, chasing terrorists and all, and can really be slow when they are involved. That is why it is better for insurance companies to deal with it.

Return to Off-Topic Forum