World Baseball Classic

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:47 am
Anybody else excited about the WBC? I cant wait for this thing, mainly because after its over the season is right around the corner. I am so looking forward to baseball season, especially with the way the Dubs are playing this year. Only a few weeks until Pitchers and Catchers report.

Anybody heading down to Arizona for Spring Training?

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:56 am
Dude, im so excited for this. I love international competitions. World Cup, FIBA tournys, this, ryder cup, olympics, etc...

I went to the WBC Finals game in 2006 It was Japan vs. Cuba. Went with two of my friends. (one being cuban, the other japanese... i was the mediator, lol). It was at Petco park, it was so much fun. Still got the ticket stub. hopefully it is worth something someday (doubt it, but who knows). Dice K pitched, though at the time, i had no clue who Dice K was.

As for the USA team, I'm glad that all our players WANT to be on the team. 2 of my favorite players are on the team (fellow midget Pedroia and always chill Curtis Granderson), so it'll be fun to watch. Of course the DR is heavily favored, but who knows, it'll be fun, and many of the games will be on TV this time, as ESPN, MLBtv, and more will have the games on.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:11 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Dude, im so excited for this. I love international competitions. World Cup, FIBA tournys, this, ryder cup, olympics, etc...

I went to the WBC Finals game in 2006 It was Japan vs. Cuba. Went with two of my friends. (one being cuban, the other japanese... i was the mediator, lol). It was at Petco park, it was so much fun. Still got the ticket stub. hopefully it is worth something someday (doubt it, but who knows). Dice K pitched, though at the time, i had no clue who Dice K was.

As for the USA team, I'm glad that all our players WANT to be on the team. 2 of my favorite players are on the team (fellow midget Pedroia and always chill Curtis Granderson), so it'll be fun to watch. Of course the DR is heavily favored, but who knows, it'll be fun, and many of the games will be on TV this time, as ESPN, MLBtv, and more will have the games on.

The US team is shaping up pretty nicely. I was surprised at all of the front line pitchers that are willing to compete. I was thinking that they may have to dip into the minor leagues to get enough pitchers. This year I think the finals are going to be at Dodger Stadium right? The DR looks really good, but I cant believe ARod is playing for them. I thought last time, he had offers from Puerto Rico, Mexico and USA....is he going to be like a WBC Mercinary, looking out for the best offer every year? Im hoping MLBtv stays free...but even if it doesnt, I will have to buy it to check out some of these games.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:32 am
What's our roster look like?
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:49 pm
xbay wrote:What's our roster look like?

Its still a work in progress xbay, this link gives you the players who have commit from the USA. Note: it does not include JP Howell and Scott Kazmir who just committed a couple days ago,

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:01 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
xbay wrote:What's our roster look like?

Its still a work in progress xbay, this link gives you the players who have commit from the USA. Note: it does not include JP Howell and Scott Kazmir who just committed a couple days ago,

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

looks like the US should be underdogs, hopefully they'll come up and win this thing
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:30 pm
Looks good. Nice to finally see some of the MLB's best to be on the roster, and most importantly, want to be there. Perhaps The Redeemed Team from the Olympics was inspiration and motivation?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:44 pm
xbay wrote:Looks good. Nice to finally see some of the MLB's best to be on the roster, and most importantly, want to be there. Perhaps The Redeemed Team from the Olympics was inspiration and motivation?

actually, most our 1st team guys have declined invitation... basically the deuche's that think there too good for this. Say what you want about Derek Jeter, but this guy is the ultimate all american fan favorite. Guy is nothing but class. And Dustin Perdroia (little beast) and Curtis Granderson (all around greatness) are even more high on my list as they too are representing the good ol US of A.

Here the list of players that think there too good to represent the USA:
Josh Hamilton
Josh Beckett
Brad Lidge
Cliff Lee
CC Sabathia
Mark Teixiera
Brandon Webb
Cole Hammells
AROD (for switching teams)
and more
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:10 pm
Well, game one is in the books, and it was pretty nerve racking. We had the bases loaded twice, but failed to take advantage of it. Ultimately, we could of won 14-4, 14-5, but instead only won 6-5 to Canada. Big ups to Jimmy Rollins for his two key outs at short in the 9th. And same to Adam Dunn for what you could call the key hit of the day hitting a 2-run HR to go up 6-4.

Next opponent is the winner of Italy/Venezuela.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:01 pm
xbay wrote:Well, game one is in the books, and it was pretty nerve racking. We had the bases loaded twice, but failed to take advantage of it. Ultimately, we could of won 14-4, 14-5, but instead only won 6-5 to Canada. Big ups to Jimmy Rollins for his two key outs at short in the 9th. And same to Adam Dunn for what you could call the key hit of the day hitting a 2-run HR to go up 6-4.

yeah i watched the game as well. It reminded me like the DR game before it, that we had so many players in scoring position and we couldnt capitolize. Fortunately we ended up winning, unlike the DR. Venezuela is gonna be tough to beat.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:21 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
xbay wrote:Well, game one is in the books, and it was pretty nerve racking. We had the bases loaded twice, but failed to take advantage of it. Ultimately, we could of won 14-4, 14-5, but instead only won 6-5 to Canada. Big ups to Jimmy Rollins for his two key outs at short in the 9th. And same to Adam Dunn for what you could call the key hit of the day hitting a 2-run HR to go up 6-4.

yeah i watched the game as well. It reminded me like the DR game before it, that we had so many players in scoring position and we couldnt capitolize. Fortunately we ended up winning, unlike the DR. Venezuela is gonna be tough to beat.

Well, we rocked Venezuela's pitching staff today. It was 3-3 one time, but then Iwamura opened it up with a 3-run triple.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard the Giants will play the winner between Korea/Japan. And whoever wins between those two, has to beat the Giants to move on in the WBC. And well... Timmy K is pitching against them in that game. So here's a chance for Timmy to take over Asia, too. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:43 pm
xbay wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

Well, we rocked Venezuela's pitching staff today. It was 3-3 one time, but then Iwamura opened it up with a 3-run triple.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard the Giants will play the winner between Korea/Japan. And whoever wins between those two, has to beat the Giants to move on in the WBC. And well... Timmy K is pitching against them in that game. So here's a chance for Timmy to take over Asia, too. :mrgreen:

yeah i watched the USA game too, while reading for my test tomorrow (not very effective BTW). USA was bomb. and that Youk HR was just the exclamation point to that great inning. I hate everything boston, but youk is doing good this series. Hell, almost everyone is playing well.

Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:07 pm
US got embarrassed against PR the other day. Didn't know they had the mercy rule in WBC.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:07 pm
How about that rally in the 9th by Team USA? David Wright got the two-run single to win it 6-5. Things looked really gloomy and it looked like we were done, but somehow, the US were able to come up with some magic in 9th.

They play tomorrow against Venezuela for seeding purposes.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:08 pm
xbay wrote:How about that rally in the 9th by Team USA? David Wright got the two-run single to win it 6-5. Things looked really gloomy and it looked like we were done, but somehow, the US were able to come up with some magic in 9th.

They play tomorrow against Venezuela for seeding purposes.

I was so pissed when Jeter let that second ball get by him to score the insurance run. If J-Roll and Jeter are both playing......Rollins has to be at SS. Jeter is very overrated in my opinion he is below average.
Next

Return to Sports Board