Any Smokers Here?

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 pm
If you really want to quit smoking here is how to do it. It works, is simple and is not that hard.

You have to get a presciption for Nicotrol. These are little capsules that contain some sort of nicotine gas. They fit into a device that looks like a cigarette holder. Just use the cartridges alone as they are small and you can furtively cup them in your hand at work or in social situations and take hits anytime without consequences.

I do not believe nicotine is the main reason people have trouble quitting. Ever heard of people stealing nicotine tablets? Do people take them to get high? No. Nicotine does give you a little hit of energy, and I miss that at times, but mostly it is something you do as a habit. Stress? Cigarettes are really terrible in themselves for relieving stress. It is the act of smoking, the adult version of thumb sucking. Just a natural reaction.

What you do is simply "smoke" a Nicotrol whenever you want a cigarette. They even give you that little throat burn (no flame or heat involved).

The directions say to really use a lot of these devices and puff on them for a long time. I found that too much and used far less. Everyone is different.

The secret is that when you take Nicotrol hits and then want a real cigarette, you just remind yourself that you already "smoked", you got your nicotine and you feel the throat burn.

In time, you find yourself reaching for the Nicotrol less and less often. I keep it in the truck and in the medicine cabinet in case I am ever tempted. I never am anymore. It just took a couple of weeks and I never actually had to "quit" because I was "smoking" Nicotols.

I never, ever cheated, even a little. It wasn't that hard for me and I was a serious smoker.

You can do this and should.

I also was a serious smoker of weed, had access to the very best from faraway places. Quitting was very, very good for me. I always was able to "maintain", but my life is so much better without it. Frankly, I am not unhappy I was in that life, but I do wish I had moved on much earlier.

It is fun to watch NBA players and guess which ones are high...had to be there to have an idea.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:15 am
Hey Carl, thanks for the tip and for chiming in with your experience. In addition to Zyban, funny thing is I actually have Nicotrol already in mind as a back-up in case I get the shakes and crave a cig. My understanding is that it's a smokeless piece that feels like cigarette (from what I understand and from your explanation) that should help one through any rough times. That’s great, man. Thanks for sharing your experience on this.

I’ve also considered nicotine free cigarettes, but it still has smoke and carcinogens. Although I’d be feeding the “habit” only, the nicotine would not be there anymore, which is what cig manufacturers add (and heavily) to get you to buy their product over and over again. Although I will argue that it’s both nicotine and the habit itself that makes quitting difficult. The fact that Nicotrol, patches, Nicorette gum contains nicotine (with gradual step-down process) makes nicotine the main ingredient to help ween off people from the addiction and habit, ultimately. As mentioned, nicotine is highly, highly addictive, but most people only associate this with cigarettes. And no one steals nicotine tabs because people can just buy cigarettes.

My longest time stopping was 6 months with the patch. Cold turkey attempts: 3-4 weeks max—and I was a freakin’ bear. The patch really made it a whole lot easier, but I travel often and just slipped-up overseas and said the heck with it.

Anyhow, I’m determined this time, so thanks so much for sharing your experience with Nicotrol. It’s comforting to know someone who has tried it and been successful with it with relative ease. I honestly think I will accomplish the goal this time. That’s also great that you’ve put aside MJ. As for me, I haven’t touched it since High School.

As for the NBA players, I don’t go to games much (just from time to time when dubs are in town), but I can’t tell who’s high these days, if they are. Maybe someone else might be able to. All I know was that Sam Perkins always had that look back in the days.

Also, Carl, are you in the states? I know you're a regular and I always appreciate your posts, but I also notice some Queen’s English, at times.

Cheers.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:27 am
PaWnOgRaFfItI wrote:
CjR wrote:

i want that steering wheel!!!

Hey, Pawn, are you serious or just joking? I have to ask because I can't tell sometimes. Here’s a link if you’re interested.

http://www.spiderautomotive.com/grant740.html

If you can’t get it through the mail, I’ll get it for you.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:19 am
CjR wrote:
PaWnOgRaFfItI wrote:
CjR wrote:

Hey, Pawn, are you serious or just joking? I have to ask because I can't tell sometimes. Here’s a link if you’re interested.

PAWN DOGGS ALWAYS SERIOUS

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

hey thanks for the hookup CjR but i don't think a steering wheel like that would be suitable in my silver hatchback car (my friends call it the male gay hairdresser mobile)

when i buy that detroit muscle engine with some serious horse under the bonnet then i might just go purachse it.

Cheers again CjR
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:55 am
Hey man I hope you know Zyban is actually Wellbutrin, an anti-depressant. So make sure you really want to tinker with your brain chemicals before you get into that. You won't be able to drink that much (maybe a good thing). For many, the Anti-D effect will just be a nice bonus, but just make sure you know that it's more than just a quit smoking drug. Good luck!
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:45 am
David Wood wrote:Hey man I hope you know Zyban is actually Wellbutrin, an anti-depressant. So make sure you really want to tinker with your brain chemicals before you get into that. You won't be able to drink that much (maybe a good thing). For many, the Anti-D effect will just be a nice bonus, but just make sure you know that it's more than just a quit smoking drug. Good luck!

Thanks. Yeah, I went though this and Chantix with my Dr. and did some research. I first heard of Zyban from my wife’s friend who was successful. It's an anti-D, but was discovered by accident because people who were also smokers stopped. It should be fine, especially for a short period--and I'll keep a close eye on the any side effects. The other side effect is really vivid dreams. :shock: :wink:
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:57 am
PaWnOgRaFfItI wrote:
CjR wrote:
PaWnOgRaFfItI wrote:
CjR wrote:

PAWN DOGGS ALWAYS SERIOUS

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

hey thanks for the hookup CjR but i don't think a steering wheel like that would be suitable in my silver hatchback car (my friends call it the male gay hairdresser mobile)

when i buy that detroit muscle engine with some serious horse under the bonnet then i might just go purachse it.

Cheers again CjR

Pawn, no problem. Also, this is more for low riders, not so much (anymore) for older muscle cars--at least from what I've seen in SoCal. Although my cousin once had this bad ass Chevelle SS with this and it looked super cool with the chrome Hurst shifter, pedals, etc. As for your car, that's cool man. Ain't nothing wrong with that. Although I would pay to see a pic of this on your silver hatchback. :wink:

Cheers, Pawn.

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:08 am
CjR wrote:Hey Carl, thanks for the tip and for chiming in with your experience. In addition to Zyban, funny thing is I actually have Nicotrol already in mind as a back-up in case I get the shakes and crave a cig. My understanding is that it's a smokeless piece that feels like cigarette (from what I understand and from your explanation) that should help one through any rough times. That’s great, man. Thanks for sharing your experience on this.

I’ve also considered nicotine free cigarettes, but it still has smoke and carcinogens. Although I’d be feeding the “habit” only, the nicotine would not be there anymore, which is what cig manufacturers add (and heavily) to get you to buy their product over and over again. Although I will argue that it’s both nicotine and the habit itself that makes quitting difficult. The fact that Nicotrol, patches, Nicorette gum contains nicotine (with gradual step-down process) makes nicotine the main ingredient to help ween off people from the addiction and habit, ultimately. As mentioned, nicotine is highly, highly addictive, but most people only associate this with cigarettes. And no one steals nicotine tabs because people can just buy cigarettes.

My longest time stopping was 6 months with the patch. Cold turkey attempts: 3-4 weeks max—and I was a freakin’ bear. The patch really made it a whole lot easier, but I travel often and just slipped-up overseas and said the heck with it.

Anyhow, I’m determined this time, so thanks so much for sharing your experience with Nicotrol. It’s comforting to know someone who has tried it and been successful with it with relative ease. I honestly think I will accomplish the goal this time. That’s also great that you’ve put aside MJ. As for me, I haven’t touched it since High School.

As for the NBA players, I don’t go to games much (just from time to time when dubs are in town), but I can’t tell who’s high these days, if they are. Maybe someone else might be able to. All I know was that Sam Perkins always had that look back in the days.

Also, Carl, are you in the states? I know you're a regular and I always appreciate your posts, but I also notice some Queen’s English, at times.

Cheers.

Hey, I ain't no queen, dude!

Seriously, I just write that way and can't change. Actually, my father is an American, speaks German better than English, but lives in London now.

Yes, Nicatrol is a little cartridge about the size of a cigarette cut in half. It fits into a little holder that looks like a cigarette holder, or a Tiparillo. This device holds it and also punctures the sealing foil on the cartridge. When you suck on the tip, air comes through the cartridge and I guess picks up the nicotine gas. It doesn't seem to leak out when you put it down, so it must require air movement.

I didn't like the holder, so I would just puncture the cartridge and smoke it directly. I could hide it in my hand and smoke at my desk, anywhere. There is no actual smoke or odor at all. It actually made me more productive because I didn't have to go out all the time to smoke. I always had one on me.

As for a relapse, I didn't use even half of my pack so I stashed them everywhere at home, work and my truck so I would always have access and not bum a cigarette. The fact that they are there is comforting in some strange way, even years later.

I never tried a patch, but people at work did and had little luck. One guy even got hypnotised and that worked about a full day.

In the end it is motivation. I actually gave Nicatrols to friends who said they wanted to quit and they never even used them, like they were afraid of quitting, and were more comfortable with playing around rather than being serious.

My opinion is that people may feel it is too late, that they have smoked so long that they will get cancer anyway years down the road even if they quit now. That is a possibility, but so are a lot of things.

Now, about that arse Nelson...
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:10 am
Cool, man. Sounds like a really good thing to have, so I have to get a prescription, just in case. Thanks, again, Carl.

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:16 am
Great, hope it works. Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions. Hardly anyone knows about Nicatrol, even my Dr was skeptical.

As far as chain steering wheels go, real men install barbed wire steering wheels. Chains are too slippery when driving fast.
Previous

Return to Off-Topic Forum