The Oakland Athletics Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:26 pm
Looks like Nomar is coming too... Oakland is putting together a good, cheap, team. Can this be a year where both bay area teams go over .500???
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:26 am
[quote="Mr. Crackerz"]Looks like Nomar is coming too... Oakland is putting together a good, cheap, team. Can this be a year where both bay area teams go over .500???[/quot

Nomah is a really good signing for such a lefty heavy team. He can fill in at either corner IF spot and also get some ABs against lefties as the DH. If Billy can spin Crosby for something, this team will be looking really good going into 09. It would be sweet to see both the A's and Giants have a productive season at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:35 am
its official, nomar (or nomah to boston lovers like Always :mrgreen: ) has signed 1 year with the A's... yay! good off season oakland. Time to sign bonds [-o<

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:49 am
Nomar is awesome if he's healthy, a non-factor when he's out on-and-off all year with nagging injuries. This guy SHOULD have been a HoFer. I'd love to see him put together another .320 year, this time in Oakland.
StuckInSoCal
(GSW for life)
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:34 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:Nomar is awesome if he's healthy, a non-factor when he's out on-and-off all year with nagging injuries. This guy SHOULD have been a HoFer. I'd love to see him put together another .320 year, this time in Oakland.

I think with the lower expectations and PT he will get in Oakland, it will benefit him greatly. He will only get 200-250AB's probably, so he should be able to stay healthy. I cant wait for the season to start.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:11 am
Man, i can't wait for the season to start... im excited for the A's... i think they can go under the radar and challenge for the division. And Billy Beane is a geniius, if we're in it, he will trade for more dudes to make us better. If not, he will get more prospects. Obviously im hoping for the former, but in Beane we trust.

Go A's, lets make it 2 Bay Area team Playoffs for 2009
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:16 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Man, i can't wait for the season to start... im excited for the A's... i think they can go under the radar and challenge for the division. And Billy Beane is a geniius, if we're in it, he will trade for more dudes to make us better. If not, he will get more prospects. Obviously im hoping for the former, but in Beane we trust.

If Chavez and the Duke could stay healthy, the outlook would be much brighter. I dont want to sit through another year of a .200 hitting 3rd baseman in Hannahan. He has a great glove, but cant get a hit to save his life. Hopefully the extra rest that Chavez is getting will ensure that he is ready to begin the season. If not, maybe Nomar can start the season as the starting 3 bagger. At this point, I guess only time will tell. Im still extremely excited for the season to start though!! Go A's!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:21 am
"Always" Next wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Man, i can't wait for the season to start... im excited for the A's... i think they can go under the radar and challenge for the division. And Billy Beane is a geniius, if we're in it, he will trade for more dudes to make us better. If not, he will get more prospects. Obviously im hoping for the former, but in Beane we trust.

If Chavez and the Duke could stay healthy, the outlook would be much brighter. I dont want to sit through another year of a .200 hitting 3rd baseman in Hannahan. He has a great glove, but cant get a hit to save his life. Hopefully the extra rest that Chavez is getting will ensure that he is ready to begin the season. If not, maybe Nomar can start the season as the starting 3 bagger. At this point, I guess only time will tell. Im still extremely excited for the season to start though!! Go A's!!!

Oh yeah... excellent point.... Chavez is the make or break piece in this club. If he is healthy, and effective, then his presence along with M.H. and others will be deep. If not, then holliday will not be as effective.

"Always", are u more of a Giants or A's Fan? I, myself, am a tad bit more of a Giants fan, solely because i like NL ball more than AL. But other than that, i like both teams equally/
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:36 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:

Oh yeah... excellent point.... Chavez is the make or break piece in this club. If he is healthy, and effective, then his presence along with M.H. and others will be deep. If not, then holliday will not be as effective.

"Always", are u more of a Giants or A's Fan? I, myself, am a tad bit more of a Giants fan, solely because i like NL ball more than AL. But other than that, i like both teams equally/

Definitely an A's fan. I have never really cared much for the Giants, but this year with all of their young players and a couple vets in the mix, they kind of remind me of past A's clubs and I find them very interesting. I was never a Bonds fan, so that made me not like the Giants....this year though, I will definitely be pulling for them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:15 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:

Definitely an A's fan. I have never really cared much for the Giants, but this year with all of their young players and a couple vets in the mix, they kind of remind me of past A's clubs and I find them very interesting. I was never a Bonds fan, so that made me not like the Giants....this year though, I will definitely be pulling for them.

thats cool... yeah, bonds was great to watch, but its sad that it was probably enhanced by steroids, even though he (like most great athletes) probably didn't even need it.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:24 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:

thats cool... yeah, bonds was great to watch, but its sad that it was probably enhanced by steroids, even though he (like most great athletes) probably didn't even need it.

It always bugs me, how some people give Barry a pass because he was already one of the best. To me, that makes his using steroids worse than anybody else. I can see marginal guys using in order to make it, but superstars using has always bugged me.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:03 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:thats cool... yeah, bonds was great to watch, but its sad that it was probably enhanced by steroids, even though he (like most great athletes) probably didn't even need it.
\

not to take this thread off-topic but... PROBABLY??? or did you mean "certainly"?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:18 pm
I too hate to take this off topic, but steroids was so rampant, there is no excuse for anybody. Everybody was either trying to get their foot in the door or trying to stay at the top. Damn near everybody was doing it and it doesn't matter who you are. Bonds gets that pass because the proof was there about his greatness, but the juiced years feel like they don't even count. The whole era was a mess, and we should all just hit the reset button in our minds.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:46 pm
agreed although I dont think it should not count. Steriods was EVERYWHERE and almost everyone KNEW it.

All this business about putting asterix on records, not getting into the hall of fame, and all that is non sense in my mind.

While Bonds most CERTAINLY was doing steriods, probably was over 60% of the pitchers he hit against. From all accounts, steriod use was ever more prevalant with pitchers than it was with position players.

Unless you can know for sure exactly who was using or not (which obviously is impossible) then everything should just count. Especially when baseball turned a blind eye
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:53 pm
bada wrote:agreed although I dont think it should not count. Steriods was EVERYWHERE and almost everyone KNEW it.

All this business about putting asterix on records, not getting into the hall of fame, and all that is non sense in my mind.

While Bonds most CERTAINLY was doing steriods, probably was over 60% of the pitchers he hit against. From all accounts, steriod use was ever more prevalant with pitchers than it was with position players.

Unless you can know for sure exactly who was using or not (which obviously is impossible) then everything should just count. Especially when baseball turned a blind eye

can't rewrite the history books or anything but as a fan i feel cheated and i can't even acknowledge it. If i hear the Giants broadcast mention those years and some of the great things, i cringe. I had a blast then, but I like how baseball is headed away from the walk, walk , homer strategy of the era. I also hate how there are many fans saying how bonds record should not count, cuz if that's the case, then those World Series titles in the 80's shouldn't either. You can't erase anything, but i just don't acknowledge it anymore
PreviousNext

Return to Sports Board