Any Smokers Here?

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:24 pm
Anyway, been smoking for close to 20 years now, but have always been a 6-7 sticks a day (and outdoor). Went to the Dr. had everything examined, went through a series of tests, and all tests came out negative (as expected), but still it’s time for me to quit while I’m young.

Got a prescription for Chantix, but I read too many undesireable side effects for some like suicidal thoughts, extreme mood swings, etc., so I’m getting it changed to Zyban. Both work very similar and change your psyche back to a non-smoker stage, making you reject smoking completely.

I’ll probably still smoke, but I don't want to make it a regular habit. 1 or 2 sticks when drinking occasionally may be okay. I know a couple of social smokers that are like that.

Bigs, I think you smoke or still smoking, right?

Man, it’s going to be different without a cig on a daily basis.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:11 pm
Hey CjR, if you don't mind, I'm gonna move this to the Off-Topic forum.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:37 pm
carr's 'easy way to quit smoking' read it and quit it, easy :)
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:10 pm
forget about all these meds just dont smoke anymore..... just go cold turkey like your elders did when there was no patch or gum to ease the torture....
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:42 pm
Hey, X-bay, you mean smoking is not sports related? I’ve been known to hold a cigarette while shooting a basketball. :mrgreen:
Anyhow, thanks, bud. I thought I was in Off Topic.

Martin, thanks. I did a bit of reading and it sounds interesting. If my Zyban doesn’t work, I’ll give it a shot.

Speak, I wish it was that easy. I’m a pretty light smoker, but I tried cold turkey twice and always went back. I think cold-turkey has a 95% failure rate maybe because nicotine is more addictive than heroine.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:51 pm
i smoke weed
i smoke weed
i smoke weed
i smoke weed
i smoke weed

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:57 pm
PaWnOgRaFfItI wrote:i smoke weed
i smoke weed
i smoke weed
i smoke weed
i smoke weed

:withstupid: :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:08 am
Hey CjR.

Good luck to you bud.................man its tough huh, me and my lady tried to give up recently, well, she wanted/decided to, which meant that I had to cut down and only smoke outside.

I went from about 20 a day to about 10, she was using patches and nothing else..............but she had/has alot of stress with work and a family member not well, so it all got abit much after 2 weeks and she started again.

Weve both cut down and still only smoke outside, we are both on about 10-12 a day now.

I think Id do it cold turkey, tried it before and failed but I think when I do decide to quit, thats how Ill do it.

But thats the key, youve got to WANT to stop, and stop properly, you cant do the whole " Ohh Ill just have 1-2 a day" its got to be the whole committed package my man.

And make sure you have as stress free a life/situation as possible when your quitting...........as you know, everything is amplified when your not getting your fix, so creating less stress or just picking a good time when you think you can have a good stress free run at it is key.

Good luck though man, its tough as hell, ridiculously tough as hell..............try and speak to others who have given up and get some tips and just generally some thoughts on how much better they feel for it.

Bada quit a few years after being hardcore, so hed be a good fella to come in here and give us a talking too. :wink:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:55 am
my dad use to drive his FOURBEE with his Boat Trailer in toe... and he use to only smoke rollies!!!

Anyways 8 or 9 hours into our big fishing trip Dad would decide it's time for a Darb and he'd go about rolling. most fathers with his sons and nephews in the back would probably pullover or drive really slow with his knees while he rolls.

BUT MY DAD

Would overtake Semi trailers with his knees in kangaroo infested desertland (jump in front of u on the road any time) and he would always have the 80's Rock music pumping (I remember INXS 'Never Teas us Apart") blasting over the loud speakers. (but for some reason i think Blue Oyster Cult don't fear the Reaper would have been a more appropriate anthem to have this memory with.

All Star
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:20 am
CjR wrote:Hey, X-bay, you mean smoking is not sports related? I’ve been known to hold a cigarette while shooting a basketball. :mrgreen:
Anyhow, thanks, bud. I thought I was in Off Topic.

Martin, thanks. I did a bit of reading and it sounds interesting. If my Zyban doesn’t work, I’ll give it a shot.

Speak, I wish it was that easy. I’m a pretty light smoker, but I tried cold turkey twice and always went back. I think cold-turkey has a 95% failure rate maybe because nicotine is more addictive than heroine.

it is interesting, for very many people i know quit just like that - after reading the last lines of the book. year ago i have had quit for one month just like that (after reading 70 percent of the book) - going ice cold. and there was no hangover, psychological drawback, abstinence - it went easy and i was laughing at friends who would tell me nicotine addiction stories.
after the month i started smoking again, very little, and just because i haven't read the whole 100 percent of the book :mrgreen:
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:27 pm
fuk...i want a cigarette now...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:52 pm
PaWnOgRaFfItI wrote:my dad use to drive his FOURBEE with his Boat Trailer in toe... and he use to only smoke rollies!!!

Anyways 8 or 9 hours into our big fishing trip Dad would decide it's time for a Darb and he'd go about rolling. most fathers with his sons and nephews in the back would probably pullover or drive really slow with his knees while he rolls.

BUT MY DAD

Would overtake Semi trailers with his knees in kangaroo infested desertland (jump in front of u on the road any time) and he would always have the 80's Rock music pumping (I remember INXS 'Never Teas us Apart") blasting over the loud speakers. (but for some reason i think Blue Oyster Cult don't fear the Reaper would have been a more appropriate anthem to have this memory with.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:28 am
Thanks, James. I need all the luck I can get. That’s great that you and your lady are down to 10-12 sticks and smoking outside. Tons better than 20+ and smoking indoors. Congrats, bro!

As for being stress free, unfortunately, I don’t have that luxury at my job—that’s why I need some extra help to get me over the hump this time. Damn, and here I thought I wasn't a quitter. :wink:
Last edited by CjR on Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:38 am
PaWnOgRaFfItI wrote:i smoke weed
i smoke weed
i smoke weed
i smoke weed
i smoke weed

PaWnOgRaFfItI wrote:my dad use to drive his FOURBEE with his Boat Trailer in toe... and he use to only smoke rollies!!!

BUT MY DAD

Pawndogg, tell me something you won’t roll up into a joint and smoke.
And try cigs this time instead of weed. It’s actually better for your mental health. :mrgreen:

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:53 pm
CjR wrote:

i want that steering wheel!!!
Next

Return to Off-Topic Forum