FA signing this summer

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:54 am
To first Start off, our salaries are a mess. We have Foyle coming off the books, but thanks to inflated deals to Maggette and Jackson we are locking to over $15 mil next year. Not to mention the $20 mil we owe to Monta and Beans. Also, Crawford will most likely not opt out, so that is another $9 mil. So looking at the Cap Space spreadsheet, we have $60, 939, 709 committed, and will be looking at resigning Watson (unless we can get a decent PG in FA or Draft). Also, the Luxury Tax for next year will probably drop again giving us even less room to work with. I'd say probably to $70ish to $69ish. Well on to the summations.

Some notables to look at:

PG:
Mike Bibby (Unrestricted) - Current salary - $14,983,603
Raymond Felton (Restricted) - Current salary - $4,148,715
Jason Kidd (Unrestricted) - Current salary - $21,372,000
Allen Iverson (Unrestricted) Current Salary - $20,840,625
Nate Robinson (Restricted) - Current Salary - $2,020,179
Sam Cassell - (Unrestricted) - Current Salary - $797,581

Breakdown:
Mike Bibby - Will probably resign with Hawks, unless Williams proves to be a better fit, unlikely, but a possibility. I see him staying with the Hawks.
Felton - We maybe able to grab him and would be the best choice behind a very cheap JKidd. Bobcats might be able to part ways because they were shopping him earlier in the season due to Augstin's good performance. I think he is our best bet.
JKidd - Would be ideal choice, but we have no money to move around with. I do not see any possible way that we could get him. Also there is the possibility that he resigns with the Mavs, they did pay a crapload for him.
AI - still a good player, but no thanks. Hopefully Monta will be him.
Robinson - Is a good target for us, but we'll need to make a pretty hefty offer to him. I wouldn't mind though. I wouldn't mind offering $3-4 million per year for 3-5 years. Depends on what others may offer. Knicks are trying to trade him, but it seems more unlikely every day.
Cassell - will probably resign with Celts or retire. Way too old, but not that bad for his price.

Possible trade?
Not sure if teams can do a sign and trade. But with the Mavs, they can do a lot with the money they throw around (though the economy may limit this).
Mavs sign JKidd to $15-17 mil for 2-3 years. Probably accept that due to his age (35, 36, 37).
We trade Jamaal Crawford and possibly Maggette. Salaries would match just about. Or instead of Maggette, we can sign Watson to a 1-2 mil/year deal and pack him with Crawford.
Mavs would get scoring at the 2 with Crawford, while Terry can move back up to the one. Maggette could be just like Josh Howard, but a real threat off the bench like he is for us. Or if they get Watson, they can start either him or Barea and Crawford at the 2, with Barea or Watson coming in with Terry.

Not exactly sure if the number match up or if this is even possible. All i know is that Crawford, Maggette, and Jackson are fatty contracts and I would like some way to getting rid of them. They have shown that they are good players. It's just that we don't have room for them.

What do you think?
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:17 pm
Barring Crawford opting out, we will be over the cap which means we will ONLY have our mid-level exception. Being that we will have several roster spots to fill and such little room under the luxury tax line (as you pointed out) we will most likely not be able to use the full mid-level on just one player so I dont see us being players in FA at all.
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:56 am
bada wrote:Barring Crawford opting out, we will be over the cap which means we will ONLY have our mid-level exception. Being that we will have several roster spots to fill and such little room under the luxury tax line (as you pointed out) we will most likely not be able to use the full mid-level on just one player so I dont see us being players in FA at all.

OK so I don't get what everyone is talking about.

first off, I don't think Craw will opt out in the first place, because he's making way too much as is. but what the hell, lets assume he does.

secondly, I must be looking at the math wrong or something. someone help me out here. As is, we are looking at 60M for all of our players except CJ. Assuming Crawford does opt out... 60Mill - 9.3 mill = 50.7M.

The lowest prediction I've heard for the cap next year is 57M. I'm fairly confident 50<57, or do I have that backwards?

Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:42 pm
first off wrote:
bada wrote:Barring Crawford opting out, we will be over the cap which means we will ONLY have our mid-level exception. Being that we will have several roster spots to fill and such little room under the luxury tax line (as you pointed out) we will most likely not be able to use the full mid-level on just one player so I dont see us being players in FA at all.

first off, I don't think Craw will opt out in the first place, because he's making way too much as is. but what the hell, lets assume he does.

secondly, I must be looking at the math wrong or something. someone help me out here. As is, we are looking at 60M for all of our players except CJ. Assuming Crawford does opt out... 60Mill - 9.3 mill = 50.7M.

The lowest prediction I've heard for the cap next year is 57M. I'm fairly confident 50<57, or do I have that backwards?

the cap might actually be lower in comparison to this season (or stay the same) according to David Stern. As several teams are experience hardship, the league elimating jobs, the raise of a salary cap doesn't make sense for this season.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:05 pm
first off wrote:

That is why I said "BARRING a Crawford opt out. If he opts out, yes, we will be under the cap but not buy a ton and we would still have like 5 roster spots to fill with that money.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:05 pm
He may be making a lot of money for next season if he doesn't opt out, but so was Baron. So you never know.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:29 pm
bada wrote:
first off wrote:

That is why I said "BARRING a Crawford opt out. If he opts out, yes, we will be under the cap but not buy a ton and we would still have like 5 roster spots to fill with that money.

sorry my bad, I guess I didn't mean to direct that at you. what I meant was, people were saying that "even if Crawford opts out, another player would have to leave as well for us to be under the cap" which didn't make sense to me

Ok thanks that clears it up for me.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:10 am
does Foyle's contract come off the books at the end of this year?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:21 am
Quazza wrote:does Foyle's contract come off the books at the end of this year?

Yeah, almost $7 million we'll save from this year.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:40 am
Quazza wrote:does Foyle's contract come off the books at the end of this year?

We will still have an approx 600K charge for Folye next year.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:53 am
So if the luxury tax didn't drop. It's still not as simple to say as:

6.4 freed up from Foyle's and roughly
9 million if Crawford opts out leaving
= 15.4 million.

5 roster spots? How does that work? I do see Morrow as a restricted free agent, I assume CJ and if we wanted to resign him, Kurz, and probably a couple of draft picks?
War Years
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:05 pm
War Years wrote:So if the luxury tax didn't drop. It's still not as simple to say as:

6.4 freed up from Foyle's and roughly
9 million if Crawford opts out leaving
= 15.4 million.

5 roster spots? How does that work? I do see Morrow as a restricted free agent, I assume CJ and if we wanted to resign him, Kurz, and probably a couple of draft picks?

But what you are not accounting for War Years is that we are almost 10 million OVER the cap right and very close to the luxury line. And also contracts that go up next year from this years salary eats at our space.

Here is the salary cap spreadsheet that I created if you did not see it in the Warrior forum

As you can see, if Crawford opts out, we have 11 roster spots so we would need to fill 4 more. I think we can resign guys like CJ. That tier of free agents, but my point more was we are not going to be players for any of the top tier free agents even if crawford opts out. If he does NOT opt out, we will have a tough time even signing a guy like CJ. Not impossible but definately more difficult.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:34 pm
jackson making near 11 mill in 2012- Fkn ouch
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:52 pm
I read something about NY's cap situation a few weeks ago... I'm too lazy to find the article (it's on Espn.com somewhere) ...

basically what they were talking about is that even if NY were to structure its contracts so they all expire in 2010, you can't have a pay roll of $0. there are these things called "phantom roster spots" - you have to have a certain number of players signed every year, if you are under that number they charge you for a fake spot that doesn't exist for every one you're under, it's like the league minimum, I think 400,000ish. I can't remember what the number of players you have to have signed is... does anyone know?
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:55 am
I hope C.J. and Morrow aren't gone after this season. C.J. has been playing well and consistently, and I'm sure he's getting attention from other teams. It's possible that we're trying to "hide" Morrow with lack of PT so another team doesn't snatch him this offseason and we can extend him for cheap.
Next

Return to Trades