Rihanna

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2334
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:51 pm
8th ave wrote:i know you guys are only trying to defend women... but u guys have to realize that way of thinking is sexist....


Agreed.
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:05 am
Captain_Jack wrote:
8th ave wrote:i know you guys are only trying to defend women... but u guys have to realize that way of thinking is sexist....


Agreed.


Yeah, problem is, there's no middle point for most people. In that case, I prefer to avoid violence in ANY case, not just against women.

Of course, if it's in self-defense, I've got nothing against it, but that's an extreme case.

All Star
Posts: 3069
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:11 am
People can flip it any way they want, man abusing woman or woman abusing man, in this case it was a woman (Rihana) that got hit. Sexism has nothing to do with violence, put person a or person b, let them switch positions its still wrong. I have seen altercations gone wrong from arguing to fighting to reveng, to deaths.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21378
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:28 am
warriorsstepup wrote:People can flip it any way they want, man abusing woman or woman abusing man, in this case it was a woman (Rihana) that got hit. Sexism has nothing to do with violence, put person a or person b, let them switch positions its still wrong. I have seen altercations gone wrong from arguing to fighting to reveng, to deaths.



Here's the thing though, not everyone feels that way. So many people say one thing, but when faced with that situation, they act differently. So many men would feel so disrespected by their girlfriend/wife if she cheated on him that that'd hit her, plain and simple. Women, same thing, if their guy did that to them. Some people wouldn't react that way, many would.

What I'm aiming to bring to attention is that things are not so black and white. We are part of nature, as much as that may be crap in certain ways. We are also emotional beings. That does not mean let your emotions run free with no control, but it also means you can't suppress your emotions totally.

It's like with children. Many people nowadays feel that you shouldn't spank chldren as a form of discipline. Though I do it so very little with my daughter, I still believe that in certain situations, you should spank your child. It is not to embarass them, but to show them that that situation is one that makes you very upset, like if they swear at you. Some situations and actions deserve a harder consequence and hitting the child (not bashing them) serves to show them the enormity of what they did and that it is not acceptable at all. I think upbringing has alot to do with that, as I certainly got spanked when I was a kid, many times I thought unwarranted, but I was the child and those times were a bit different, more harder, less tolerant from the view of parents.

Hitting someone (violence) is extreme, but there are situations where it is warranted. An easy one for men is when another guy is bad mouthing you, talking garbage, looking for a fight pretty much. Yes, you can just ignore him and walk away, you can do that with almost every situation, but it is warranted that you sok the bastard right in the head to shut him up, maybe then he can learn to respect. Point is that there is a consequence, not an allowance to just continue the uncivilised behaviour. We can all agree that war is wrong, yet there are so many wars that start with some sort of justification and we, as members of society, as civilians and not soldiers, can probably concur with some of the reasons for starting a particular war. I'm not for war, but I am for standing up for yourself and demanding respect from others, especially where disrespect has occurred
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Posts: 3069
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:47 am
migya wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:People can flip it any way they want, man abusing woman or woman abusing man, in this case it was a woman (Rihana) that got hit. Sexism has nothing to do with violence, put person a or person b, let them switch positions its still wrong. I have seen altercations gone wrong from arguing to fighting to reveng, to deaths.



Here's the thing though, not everyone feels that way. So many people say one thing, but when faced with that situation, they act differently. So many men would feel so disrespected by their girlfriend/wife if she cheated on him that that'd hit her, plain and simple. Women, same thing, if their guy did that to them. Some people wouldn't react that way, many would.

What I'm aiming to bring to attention is that things are not so black and white. We are part of nature, as much as that may be crap in certain ways. We are also emotional beings. That does not mean let your emotions run free with no control, but it also means you can't suppress your emotions totally.

It's like with children. Many people nowadays feel that you shouldn't spank chldren as a form of discipline. Though I do it so very little with my daughter, I still believe that in certain situations, you should spank your child. It is not to embarass them, but to show them that that situation is one that makes you very upset, like if they swear at you. Some situations and actions deserve a harder consequence and hitting the child (not bashing them) serves to show them the enormity of what they did and that it is not acceptable at all. I think upbringing has alot to do with that, as I certainly got spanked when I was a kid, many times I thought unwarranted, but I was the child and those times were a bit different, more harder, less tolerant from the view of parents.

Hitting someone (violence) is extreme, but there are situations where it is warranted. An easy one for men is when another guy is bad mouthing you, talking garbage, looking for a fight pretty much. Yes, you can just ignore him and walk away, you can do that with almost every situation, but it is warranted that you sok the bastard right in the head to shut him up, maybe then he can learn to respect. Point is that there is a consequence, not an allowance to just continue the uncivilised behaviour. We can all agree that war is wrong, yet there are so many wars that start with some sort of justification and we, as members of society, as civilians and not soldiers, can probably concur with some of the reasons for starting a particular war. I'm not for war, but I am for standing up for yourself and demanding respect from others, especially where disrespect has occurred


Well Migya we are going have to agree to disagree on your stance on hitting a woman. How much damage will a guy have to do until the woman gets the point, or not to sound sexist how much damage will she do before he gets the point. I mean a bruised face, a mild shake, a slap, who knows. The spectrum of hitting a person stretches far, people that agree its ok to hit how far should it be taken, some blood perhaps to get the point across? What are the realistic situations that a woman needs to be hit because am confused? Am not talking about some random woman coming out of no-where and attacking a person I mean a realistic situation.

I do hear you for standing up for your and defending yourself, there are a lot of jerks out there and a person must protect himself. In the Rihiana situation you came across as the wife beater type that promoted and glorified the assault, which looking at the bigger picture made it seem like you glorified assaulting women. I do get your point when you said “Hitting someone (violence) is extreme” we are all human and tempers do flare.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3621
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am
Location: Oakland California
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:07 am
didnt read your whole post migya, but i think it's faulty to speak for other people... you can only control what YOU do, so speak for urself... you cant account your experiences for the whole population...
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Image
Image
Image

Image

All Star
Posts: 3069
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am
Location: san jose
Poster Credit: 17
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:43 am
8th ave wrote:i know you guys are only trying to defend women... but u guys have to realize that way of thinking is sexist....


I don’t get how defending women getting assaulted by men is been sexist. Yes we do live in a world were women suppose to be equal to men, and I agree with that 100 percent. Does that mean the WNBA and NBA need to intermix and have a co-ed league? If they don’t do that, is that considered sexist? Or boxing, why Evander Holyfield doesn’t fight LaLa Ali? There is an obvious disadvantage when it comes to strength, to think that is not the case is unrealistic. Now sex discrimination is against equality for women, in places like school, work and that is wrong. There are physical differences between men and women if that was not the case we would in-fact see a coed NBA-WNBA, or COED boxing, go down the line name the sports and you will see the separation, are they being sexist, or giving unequal treatment I think not. The point am making here is pyshical strength between men and women is present, with men having the advantage majority of the time. So in a fight he will have the advantage, and does not bode well for the woman . Now as far as if the situation was switched and Rihana assaulted Chris Brown then of course she would be in the wrong.

All Star
Posts: 2320
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:40 pm
Location: lithuania, gargzdai
Poster Credit: 10
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:54 am
warriorsstepup wrote:
8th ave wrote:i know you guys are only trying to defend women... but u guys have to realize that way of thinking is sexist....


I don’t get how defending women getting assaulted by men is been sexist. Yes we do live in a world were women suppose to be equal to men, and I agree with that 100 percent. Does that mean the WNBA and NBA need to intermix and have a co-ed league? If they don’t do that, is that considered sexist? Or boxing, why Evander Holyfield doesn’t fight LaLa Ali? There is an obvious disadvantage when it comes to strength, to think that is not the case is unrealistic. Now sex discrimination is against equality for women, in places like school, work and that is wrong. There are physical differences between men and women if that was not the case we would in-fact see a coed NBA-WNBA, or COED boxing, go down the line name the sports and you will see the separation, are they being sexist, or giving unequal treatment I think not. The point am making here is pyshical strength between men and women is present, with men having the advantage majority of the time. So in a fight he will have the advantage, and does not bode well for the woman . Now as far as if the situation was switched and Rihana assaulted Chris Brown then of course she would be in the wrong.


in a certain interpretation, one (a female, or a feminist) could answer like this: by saying we 'men' are stronger and we 'must' protect women, we 'men' put women' essence into circulation of 'men' economy and so define it and give it a role. it is masculine presumption that women are weaker then men and it is masculine way of treating them as 'weaker', 'neading in hep', 'caring' and so on solely because of their men defined womanhood, not because they are persons.
the sports you mention are perfect example of sexist economy and woman trying to be the part of it. no, we should not make boxing matches between men and women(as long as there are no women who are strong enough to stand their ground, and this might become possible), it would not be manifestation of equality - it would be unequal even if you/i went against proffessional boxer, though you are a man.
to judge women beforehand you know what they want and think, is shovinist and is what equal rights should prevent. of course it would take 1000000 of years to overcome that, for too many decades women were repressed by men and certain social bonds are here to stay for very long and maybe forever, unless you get 'amazones raping men' to become normal number of population. BUT - question if hitting a 'woman' is right or wrong is already shovinist and sexist, both parties - migya and contras are mainly of the same stance (that they are the ones who define what women are and how they should be treated like) - except taking different poles of the same stick.
the question should have been when and if violence can be right, or is every hitting an act of violence?
tell me, what you want , but if a schmoe comes and hits me down to the ground, it's the same violence even if we both are men.
except most men would certainly feel less compassion for me, because, well, i'm not in their plans of creating a family, showing their power onto every single day and waiting for reward and commitment in the evening. yes, most of men would certainly feel bad for rhihana, because if they were in chris browns place, they would not hit her, but be powerful loving best sex giving caring MEN.
(except, sorry, it is another shovinist, sexist illusion)
"i wish i was a little bit taller" skee lo

Starting Lineup
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:55 pm
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:26 am
8th ave wrote:i think it's okay for a man to hit a woman in self defense.... that's it... if you guys wanna talk about what justifies self defense, thats a whole different conversation...

this... "never" okay to hit a woman is stupid.... we live in a day and age where women are supposed to be treated like equals... and im not saying that rihanna deserved to be slapped or whatever, because unless she hit chris brown first, she doesnt... my main point is to expect to get hit if you're hitting someone... REGARDLESS OF SEX


*8th Ave, excuse me, I really I don't know. Are you really a knockout babe?

If you are a normal sized guy and you're dealing with a crazy chick, you use as LITTLE force as possible. It's worked for me. And usually that isn't much force.

8th Ave. Wrote:
"I know you guys are only trying to defend women... but u guys have to realize that way of thinking is sexist...."

Perhaps some of you have had to grow up with domestic violence, and for that I'm sorry. But it's always a slippery slope to scumbagdom. I realize experiences like that can twist your thinking, but that "way of thinking" is NOT SEXIST. Though preferential treatment to woman on sports boards can be sexist. Heh, heh, heh

My admiration for the real men who stood up, Mr. Crackerz, (what a man!) TMC ( to the point , as always ),Biggstrade, CJR and Mc Wilkens.
I would have posted on " State of the Board", but we closed that thread and kept this open and I can see some wisdom in that as this thread was the only outstanding issue.
War Years
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21378
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:29 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:
migya wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:People can flip it any way they want, man abusing woman or woman abusing man, in this case it was a woman (Rihana) that got hit. Sexism has nothing to do with violence, put person a or person b, let them switch positions its still wrong. I have seen altercations gone wrong from arguing to fighting to reveng, to deaths.



Here's the thing though, not everyone feels that way. So many people say one thing, but when faced with that situation, they act differently. So many men would feel so disrespected by their girlfriend/wife if she cheated on him that that'd hit her, plain and simple. Women, same thing, if their guy did that to them. Some people wouldn't react that way, many would.

What I'm aiming to bring to attention is that things are not so black and white. We are part of nature, as much as that may be crap in certain ways. We are also emotional beings. That does not mean let your emotions run free with no control, but it also means you can't suppress your emotions totally.

It's like with children. Many people nowadays feel that you shouldn't spank chldren as a form of discipline. Though I do it so very little with my daughter, I still believe that in certain situations, you should spank your child. It is not to embarass them, but to show them that that situation is one that makes you very upset, like if they swear at you. Some situations and actions deserve a harder consequence and hitting the child (not bashing them) serves to show them the enormity of what they did and that it is not acceptable at all. I think upbringing has alot to do with that, as I certainly got spanked when I was a kid, many times I thought unwarranted, but I was the child and those times were a bit different, more harder, less tolerant from the view of parents.

Hitting someone (violence) is extreme, but there are situations where it is warranted. An easy one for men is when another guy is bad mouthing you, talking garbage, looking for a fight pretty much. Yes, you can just ignore him and walk away, you can do that with almost every situation, but it is warranted that you sok the bastard right in the head to shut him up, maybe then he can learn to respect. Point is that there is a consequence, not an allowance to just continue the uncivilised behaviour. We can all agree that war is wrong, yet there are so many wars that start with some sort of justification and we, as members of society, as civilians and not soldiers, can probably concur with some of the reasons for starting a particular war. I'm not for war, but I am for standing up for yourself and demanding respect from others, especially where disrespect has occurred


Well Migya we are going have to agree to disagree on your stance on hitting a woman. How much damage will a guy have to do until the woman gets the point, or not to sound sexist how much damage will she do before he gets the point. I mean a bruised face, a mild shake, a slap, who knows. The spectrum of hitting a person stretches far, people that agree its ok to hit how far should it be taken, some blood perhaps to get the point across? What are the realistic situations that a woman needs to be hit because am confused? Am not talking about some random woman coming out of no-where and attacking a person I mean a realistic situation.

I do hear you for standing up for your and defending yourself, there are a lot of jerks out there and a person must protect himself. In the Rihiana situation you came across as the wife beater type that promoted and glorified the assault, which looking at the bigger picture made it seem like you glorified assaulting women. I do get your point when you said “Hitting someone (violence) is extreme” we are all human and tempers do flare.



Again, my point was to bring this topic to light from a different angle, not just one angle of - Only a coward hits a woman, such a fool needs to be punished, get the muthafuka, get him good.

Situations are different but you can't set a definitive boundary on everything, just can't be done, some things yea, many things no. An example of hitting someone where going very far with it, far as some might see it from a violence form point of view, is where a man or woman (a stranger from out of nowhere) beats your child severely, with no reasoning whatsoever (ie. no instigation on the part of the child). The child is bloodied, their face all bruised, the child a total mess in the face. The father (put yourself in this position of the father) beats the fuk out of that man or woman, smashes their face bones with his bare fists,bloodies them and leaves them a right mess. What do you have to say about that man, the father? He go too far? His actions justified, after finding the arsehole (man or woman) that did that to his child?

Not every situation is the same, not every situation so black and white. There is no, at what point is it too far, as applicable to every situation and some court rooms, to my knowledge, do take into account the situation, though many charge and convict a personfor hitting someone just because the law says you can't do it. The only time something is black and white, on the topic of hitting someone, is where it is clearly seen that the person doing the hitting did go too far such as in a case where the person, by normal human emotional actions (hope you understand what I mean, basically the norm amongst people), has gone too far and an example of that is in a situation where one guy has bumped you, you tell me to be careful, he takes offense slightly and tells you it was just an accident and you turn around and smack some ten times, leaving him unconscious. That too me, is easily seen as going too far.

It is all situational and not every situation is the same obviously
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Where Da Wild Things R
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:19 pm
Image
Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:04 am
Wow, that's horrible. I never saw any picture of her, yet. But wow...
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:47 pm
Location: Where Da Wild Things R
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:19 am
was jus released 2day



harsh.
Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 7512
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:44 pm
Location: Brighton, England.
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:06 am
Jesus...............sorry but no matter how sexist it may be to say that you should never hit a woman..............there is NO excuse to make a woman look like that.

The point I made earlier in this thread was not that women should never be hit just because they are women but basically that women like Rhianna (who isnt exactly a hulking lady beast, able to over power and beat the living hell out of any man) dont have to be beaten to stop WHATEVER they are doing!

My best friend, whos a policeman, used to have his wife go nuts and beat up on him some time...........she would scratch and bite and punch, leaving him with marks and bruises but he never hit her back, simply because he didnt need too.............he would just hold her down, hold her arms till she calmed down or just walk away.

So my point was that in situations where a woman is going mad or whatever (which we dont even know what Rhianna was doing in this situation do we?) there are so many options and things you can do to stop it..............without beating the living sh*t out of her like some utter coward, as this f*ck wit obviously did with her.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1088
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:58 pm
Location: the nickel and dime
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:15 am
Even though that picture made me feel really bad for her and kiss her boo-boos; this quote makes me feel compassion for her:

...to the shock of many, the singer has stayed in touch with her battering beau and her unhealthy devotion to him is making those close to the abused singer worried sick. "She keeps saying she wants to make sure that he's okay," a friend tells Star. "She thinks this will all just blow over and they can go back to how they were."

GOOD VICTIMY UPDATE - okay so i just got an email saying Chris Brown is on his way to Hawaii to meet up with Rihanna. I have no idea if it's true or not. Maybe someone who sells first aid supplies and ice packs on Hawaii can keep me posted.


Shes stupids if she goes back to him.
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest