Question?

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:55 pm
A question thread.... how to? does anyone know? where can I find? etc. etc.

my first question,

I have to do a lot of keyboarding for my work and I'm starting to get some pain in my arms. Has anyone here gone through anything like this? repetitive stress or carpal tunnel?

A coworker uses some compression arm sleeves much like the ones we see on NBA players. Anyone know anything about these? the kind to get etc?

I will probably try to limit my typing here for a while, and see what happens..

Man, I can't afford to get injured or take time off....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:02 pm
Jackattack wrote:A question thread.... how to? does anyone know? where can I find? etc. etc.

my first question,

I have to do a lot of keyboarding for my work and I'm starting to get some pain in my arms. Has anyone here gone through anything like this? repetitive stress or carpal tunnel?

A coworker uses some compression arm sleeves much like the ones we see on NBA players. Anyone know anything about these? the kind to get etc?

I've heard a trick if you have joint pain... crush up some advil mix it with a little vasoline and rub it into where ever it hurts. I've never done it but I heard it can help stuff like carpel tunnel if it flares up all of a sudden. probably should see your doctor though, they will know what's best for you.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
All Star
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:34 pm
Jackattack wrote:A question thread.... how to? does anyone know? where can I find? etc. etc.

my first question,

hey Jack,
I have heard something that works is a small tennis elbow brace. Its just a band that you wear below your elbow....that way you dont have to have a whole sleeve covering your arm.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:57 pm
Thanks both of you...
yeah I got the arm brace already and have used it a few times.
I need to get a new desk and keyboard so I can adjust the height of everything.

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:01 am
Who would win a fight on a Glacier at Night....

Batman or Spiderman???

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:17 am
PaWnOgRaFfItI wrote:Who would win a fight on a Glacier at Night....

Batman or Spiderman???

Batman, no contest... Batman trained in extreme weathers and surroundings, so he knows how to use that stuff for his advantage.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:42 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
PaWnOgRaFfItI wrote:Who would win a fight on a Glacier at Night....

Batman or Spiderman???

Batman, no contest... Batman trained in extreme weathers and surroundings, so he knows how to use that stuff for his advantage.

Agreed. I mean, what exactly would Spiderman web on to? Everything is slippery, and it's at night too. Batman pwns in the night.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
Poster Credit: 19
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:59 pm
What good colgne's are out there ? I usaully buy colgne and 1/2 the time i end up not liking it as much. Rocking the aqui di gio by armani right now, good stuff, give me some input folks on some good colgne. And yes i am already aware of Axe and old spice, the commercial lied, girls did not jump all over me.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:12 pm
warriorsstepup wrote:What good colgne's are out there ? I usaully buy colgne and 1/2 the time i end up not liking it as much. Rocking the aqui di gio by armani right now, good stuff, give me some input folks on some good colgne. And yes i am already aware of Axe and old spice, the commercial lied, girls did not jump all over me.

axe and old spice are strong ****... stuff reeks from far away, and its cheap crap.

I perfer more subtle smelling cologne. One which doesn't have your scent 50 yards a way. But to be honest, i haven't bought the stuff in a long time. I been swiping from brothers, roommates, friends all these years
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:41 pm

my first question,

Not sure if we have the same problem, but I did go through something similar about a year ago and have been back to normal since. But, yeah, take that seriously, as we make our living with our hands.

Anyhow, in addition to adjusting your desk and chair, here’s some things you might want to try:

1. Switch off back and forth from righty to lefty with your mouse. There was a time where I went lefty mostly, but now I'm back to righty without discomfort.

2. Make sure your keyboard stand (to prop it up) is not engaged. The keyboard should be flat, so you're not straining your wrist angling your hands & fingers up to type.

3. Get a resting pad (raised) for your wrists for typing. Also, get a mousepad with a raised resting area for your wrist/bottom area of hand.

And for neck aches, some people tend to lean/tilt their heads forward toward the monitor. Even with a small tilt, since one’s head is about 10 lbs., your back neck muscles are strained supporting the tilt and unnatural head position all day.

I also recommend an ergonomic chair. Night and day difference from a regular office chair.

Hope this helps.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:54 am
CjR wrote:

my first question,

Not sure if we have the same problem, but I did go through something similar about a year ago and have been back to normal since. But, yeah, take that seriously, as we make our living with our hands.

Anyhow, in addition to adjusting your desk and chair, here’s some things you might want to try:

1. Switch off back and forth from righty to lefty with your mouse. There was a time where I went lefty mostly, but now I'm back to righty without discomfort.

2. Make sure your keyboard stand (to prop it up) is not engaged. The keyboard should be flat, so you're not straining your wrist angling your hands & fingers up to type.

3. Get a resting pad (raised) for your wrists for typing. Also, get a mousepad with a raised resting area for your wrist/bottom area of hand.

And for neck aches, some people tend to lean/tilt their heads forward toward the monitor. Even with a small tilt, since one’s head is about 10 lbs., your back neck muscles are strained supporting the tilt and unnatural head position all day.

I also recommend an ergonomic chair. Night and day difference from a regular office chair.

Hope this helps.

Well said. Need to do some specific exercises too, especially for your neck. I strained my neck exercising about three and a half years ago and it props up pretty often when I'm at BJJ. I do exercises for it pretty often and though I'm not at 100% (probably never will), I'm better than before and feel better as time goes on.

Look into all this, anything that helps is good to try

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:20 am
one thing that was big at kaiser while i was working there (before getting laid-off) was stretching. once every 1-2 hours stretch out a lil. helps a lot with repetitive movement type jobs and jobs where you just sit there.

as far as the sleeves, it may work depending on the type of injury you have or feel like might be coming. those are mostly for muscles tho...to keep the muscle warm so it doesnt get stiff resulting in a strain or cramp.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:20 am
warriorsstepup wrote:What good colgne's are out there ? I usaully buy colgne and 1/2 the time i end up not liking it as much. Rocking the aqui di gio by armani right now, good stuff, give me some input folks on some good colgne. And yes i am already aware of Axe and old spice, the commercial lied, girls did not jump all over me.

the new Roc a Wear stuff is surprisingly nice.It's called 91X. Dolche and Gabanna Light Blue, and Issey Miake are a couple of classics in a similar vain to the di gio you currently have

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:43 am

my first question,

I used to have severe pain in my fingers and wrist,,,at night my arms would tingle and go numb....then i started wearing a wrist brace at night and at times durning the day....the brace looked like something a bowler would wear....the other advice is to lay off the self man love :mrgreen:
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:59 am
JOEL wrote:

my first question,

I used to have severe pain in my fingers and wrist,,,at night my arms would tingle and go numb....then i started wearing a wrist brace at night and at times durning the day....the brace looked like something a bowler would wear....the other advice is to lay off the self man love :mrgreen:

seems to have worked for you... :mrgreen:

Next

Return to Off-Topic Forum