State of the Board

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:13 am
I just want to say brilliant post, Capt. and others who have expressed their views. We'll never be able to keep everyone happy for one reason or another (and that's totally understandable) but that's how life is and will always be.

I can't speak for everyone here but, Mods, I'd like to suggest locking this thread before the start of the next Warrior game tomorrow to keep this from being a distraction. We have to flip the page, at some point, and deal with any remaining issues individually.

And, as Migya mentioned, people can take this to the original thread, if necessary, where it's Off Topic and out of the way.

I think just about everyone has chimed in with their valuable input, and whatever came out of this (if it's clear) should be the case moving forward.

Oh, and Go Warriors!
Last edited by CjR on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:22 am
CjR wrote:I can't speak for everyone here but, Mods, I'd like to suggest locking this thread before the start of the next Warrior game tomorrow to keep this from being a distraction. We have to flip the page, at some point, and deal with any remaining issues individually.

Yeah, I've been considering that for a while now, but people still deserve the chance to express themselves, so the thread will remain open for now.

Although it might be time to move it to off-topic, as it's not Warriors related in any way.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:24 am
TMC wrote:
CjR wrote:I can't speak for everyone here but, Mods, I'd like to suggest locking this thread before the start of the next Warrior game tomorrow to keep this from being a distraction. We have to flip the page, at some point, and deal with any remaining issues individually.

Yeah, I've been considering that for a while now, but people still deserve the chance to express themselves, so the thread will remain open for now.

Although it might be time to move it to off-topic, as it's not Warriors related in any way.

Better idea, TMC.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:29 am
Warriors or STFU!?

;)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:05 am
CjR wrote:
TMC wrote:

Better idea, TMC.

Yeah, discussing this kind of things is positive, I think, so I'm gonna move it to off topic tomorrow. Meanwhile, it will stay here so people can keep posting and debating until the Warriors start playing again.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:49 am
O.G. Broe said:
"Captain_Jack, Well then how come it wasn't a joke when you were offended by the gun clip, What about people that have Women relatives that have been abused or beat down by a man "

Captain Jack, I don't think you need Migya to defend you, he didn't get an answer. Does the compassion you expect from the tragedy of your uncle extend to other women who are undoubtably weaker than you? Or is it all about you?

People want to move on and seem willing to accept your statement as a standard of how to proceed on the board. How fitting that the one woman would show us the way.

I do like most of it. ( primarily the middle ) But I think there is a fatal flaw. Or maybe you can set us straight.

Don't get me wrong I do love the fact that you chewed your girlfriend out for being a bitch. Doesn't every man on this board? And I understand and admire ( again as every other male on this board does.) that you don't want to stand out making sexism an issue as the only women on a male board. I assume you would be doing that out of prudence, because you know to do so would greatly alienate you to a lot of the men on this board, and of course, you're too smart for that.

So is it purely out of prudence and getting along ( which of course I understand and would play it the same way myself ) or the fact that you just don't feel that much compassion toward women who are weaker than you?
War Years
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:30 pm
I'll move this to the off-topic forum since the game is in about 5 hours.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:52 pm
War Years wrote:O.G. Broe said:
"Captain_Jack, Well then how come it wasn't a joke when you were offended by the gun clip, What about people that have Women relatives that have been abused or beat down by a man "

Captain Jack, I don't think you need Migya to defend you, he didn't get an answer. Does the compassion you expect from the tragedy of your uncle extend to other women who are undoubtably weaker than you? Or is it all about you?

People want to move on and seem willing to accept your statement as a standard of how to proceed on the board. How fitting that the one woman would show us the way.

I do like most of it. ( primarily the middle ) But I think there is a fatal flaw. Or maybe you can set us straight.

Don't get me wrong I do love the fact that you chewed your girlfriend out for being a bitch. Doesn't every man on this board? And I understand and admire ( again as every other male on this board does.) that you don't want to stand out making sexism an issue as the only women on a male board. I assume you would be doing that out of prudence, because you know to do so would greatly alienate you to a lot of the men on this board, and of course, you're too smart for that.

So is it purely out of prudence and getting along ( which of course I understand and would play it the same way myself ) or the fact that you just don't feel that much compassion toward women who are weaker than you?

No, but did I make a huge deal about the gun clip and throw some kind of tantrum that caused the board to reassess the way they do things? No I asked the person who posted it to take it down because it offended me, they did it and it's done. Had he not done it I would have written to one of the moderators and asked them to remove the post. If they didn't I simply would stop going into that thread until it moved on to the next page. I never would have let it become some huge deal where everyone was all up in arms about it, there's no point.

Nope, I don't point out sexism because it doesn't bother me. Like I said before, if it applies to me then it's the truth and I have no problem with people stating the truth, and if it doesn't apply to me then why would I get offended?

I realize that people are all raised differently, this includes being raised with different values and ideas of what is right and wrong. Some people are not raised to respect women or other races the way I believe they should, this country and the world is very diverse and people have different personal and cultural beliefs. Does that mean that I think it should be ok for people to beat their wives just because they were brought up that way? No, however do you honestly think that me saying "I'm offended by that" on an internet message board is going to change their mind? If they want to post or say stupid stuff like that, then that is their right and it only makes them look like idiots, it does not affect me or any other person on this board. In America the government was created and we all consent to this government in order to protect our right to freedom and equality. This includes our right to free speech and our right to believe whatever we want, regardless of how stupid other people think it is.

As for this message board, it is a privately owned and run message board and the owners and moderators have the right to do whatever they feel necessary with it. They have a right to allow or not allow certain kinds of posts or certain specific posts. I, as someone who subscribes to their privately owned message board FOR FREE, have no rights and therefore I live with what they say or I leave. I am not entitled to anything on this board, they don't even have to allow me to be a member if they don't want, and they don't have to have any reason to ban me. This goes for every member of this board.

Part of what I hate about this country, and maybe it's a worldwide thing, I don't know, is the fact that people feel like they are entitled to EVERYTHING. It drives me insane! You are entitled to be a free person and you are entitled to be equal to others regarding your rights. Other than that you are not entitled to ANYTHING, the end.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:03 pm
SOLID post Capt! :D

While I may have some slight differences of some of the things you said, I think you expressed yourself beautifully in this post and gave us a solid understanding of "you".

Enjoyable read.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:13 pm
Great post, probably the best I've ever read. Post of the Year in my eyes.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:27 am
bada wrote:While I may have some slight differences of some of the things you said, I think you expressed yourself beautifully in this post and gave us a solid understanding of "you".

Me too. Loved the post, Capt, but I don't fully agree with some parts, like the one about us having every right to decide what's allowed or not on the board. This is a community and we decide things together, not catering to the desires of anybody, but a majority.

I just don't agree with your statement that you don't have rights in this place, privately owned or not. At least, I don't share it and I don't want anybody to feel that way.
All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:25 am
wow what tha hell happened here....... :scratch:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:29 am
speakonitgod wrote:wow i give tha forums a rest for a month or two and come back to this....euros versus locals lol what is gsw coming to man.....tha hell

Indeed my friend............and the craziest thing was...........I had nothing to do with it! :mrgreen:

Welcome back though bud!............please GOD stick around. :D

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:19 pm
I stated that I was offended by the Rhianna threads content & nothing happened, I know from experience it would be useless to expect the poster to do anything other than defend his ignorance, so I voiced my disgust & waited for what I thought would surely happen quickly, the deletion of an obvious sexist ad-vocation of man on woman violence, of course followed by justification attempts & "just jokes" excuses :roll:

After the post remained I :scratch: & decided to create a thread with the headline topic being taken from the ignorant post & highlight some of the crazy quotes that followed that failed to justify the ignorant tasteless post... I did that out of frustration to mirror the situation because it was as if it was just being swept under the rug like it was acceptable, yes this is a Internet forum & I am for free speech but come on I expect better here, We have Mods & I appreciate their contributions & I feel like this was literally a no brainer that needed be Modded :!: :!:

There is enough sick ignorant talk on the rest of the web & it has spilled here on a # of occasions but to the Mods credit it has been dealt with & not tolerated but It just so happens that this is not migyas first time being extremely offensive.....

I am a long time member & appreaciate this board's contributors, I haven't been able to frequent as much but I try to stay current as possible here but for some reason Pest, Colt, & now 32 have left the building :shock:

If garbage like what was posted in the Rhianna thread is now acceptable I see why :banghead:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:40 pm
lets just ban everyone and then we can all come back under different names therefore slate clean. Problem solved.
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum