Disalusioned Fan Base = Trouble.......So How Do We fix This?

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:05 am
Im posting this here, as I feel that the few remaining smart, sensible, credible, REAL people only post in Off Topic now............so here goes.

We are all suffering from what I believe is the worst period of fan-dom we have experienced in a long time, if ever...........this season, for me, is far worse than 90's and early 2000 losing teams, simply because those teams were just crap.................this team isnt really crap, its just so poorly constructed and run, that it breeds such resentment, people are just beginning to not give a crap.

This is having a very bad affect on this board, as I and others like me are just not wanting to post here anymore...............not because the team is losing and we are bandwagoners or bad fans but just because its the same old crap, every day, game after game, decision after decision, post after post.

So, we cant change the team or how its run..................but we can change this place and how its day to day running affects and motivates us.

So what do we do?..............I think we should suggest, however random or pointless your suggestions may be, just spit out anything that comes into your mind about what needs to happen to this place for it to return to some of its former glory.

Heres a couple from me =

1 - Those who are continually involved in the petty, useless, fact-less, pathetic arguments..............need to take a break, have some time away, leave all together if you want.............just no-more of the "Woe is me" or "Everyone is against me" or "Im better than everyone" bull sh*t..............because that is making things SOOOOOO much worse.

2 - A little extreme this one..............but I think we should possibly stop new sign-ups, heres why =

A: There are alot of new people here who I have no idea who they are or where they came from..............we all know the best thing about this place, and the best times we have all had here are when we are familiar and comfortable with one another.............when we understand and know who we are talking too and can take the odd comment for what it is, and not blow our balls out because it "sounds" off.

B: I can imagine some new people signing up at a time like this and making things worse and finally driving the nail in the coffin of those who are on the brink of leaving.

This could be a troll, a returning retard child (you all know who I mean) or simply just a dumb ass fan who has no idea what he/she is talking about but thinks they do.
Those are just a couple of my thoughts..............you guys know Ive always been a sort of protector of this place and wouldnt know what to do if I didnt have this place to come to and vent, and although Ive been one of the ones to kind of abandon this place, I do feel bad about that and dont want to anymore.

So what do we do? do we continue down this road? do we do nothing? or do we all talk like adults, get our concerns out in the open and try to get this place back to somewhere that we all want it to be............ie: a place that WE WANT TO COME TO, and enjoy conversing with all the different types of people who inhabit it.

I posted this in the "Announcement" thread but just do me a favour and try this little excercise =

bigstrads wrote:Just one thing to think about moving forwards..............every one of you try and do this and realise what the result of this means

1 - Think of either the most fun/enjoyment you got out of this place in a single moment or thread, it could even be a long period of time where you and a bunch of guys just had some great laughs/disucssions.

2 - Now think of where it was (forum section wise) and who was involved.

Now Im betting that A: It wasnt in the Warriors Basketball forum and B: Atleast half of those involved who contributed to your fun are either not here or dont post much anymore.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:15 am
Bigs, this place, to me, is still a good place to spend time, but there is some division between some posters here, but all of it is civil, as far as I've seen.

Take a look at this and you will know what has happened:
http://www.goldenstwarriors.com/viewtop ... 2&start=45

Tell me what you think - Civil?

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:22 am
migya wrote:Bigs, this place, to me, is still a good place to spend time, but there is some division between some posters here, but all of it is civil, as far as I've seen.

Civil?..............I dont think it is.

Yes there wasnt really any obvious slanging going on and silly name calling but its the same old crap that makes people like me think "Ohh for f*cks sake, how pathetic, I cant be bothered"

32 is the MASTER of the under-handed, back handed insults............ie: he will insults persons and groups without actually appearing to insult them..............then of course, he is the martyr and the one being picked on.

His and Colts battle with Martin and the continuing crap with you...........where they have obviously asked for you to be banned, as why else would Xbay go nuts about people asking for people to be banned? is why Ive lost my will to get involved over the last few months.

Anyway, I thought of another suggestion/idea =

3 - We should have a planned meeting in the ChatBox...........at a mutually agreed time, with members who have 500 posts or more, just to discuss things and have a adult and more importantly A LIVE chat.

This could be on a weekend, and late evening for the Euro's, early afternoon for the Americans and early morning for the Aussies.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:24 am
The world is full of change. This a fundamental fact, and to be honest it is probably exacerbated by the accessibility and anonymity of the internet. I think the best way to overcome this "situation" is fairly simple.

First of all, we need to stop talking about it. Every time someone brings up the state of this forum, the perception of how things are happening becomes more and more bleary. I don't think any of the "problems" that have occurred recently have much to do with the Warriors play -- honestly the team has been playing better recently so if there was any correlation we'd probably be in relatively good spirits right now, yet we are clearly not. No, the problems come from us, the members. This includes everyone, from "noobs" to "veterans"; Mods to Rookies; Bay Area residents and our friends across the world.

The next thing that people need to consider, however cliche it may be, is a quote from good old Ghandi: be the change you wish to see in the world. This applies here as well. You want to stop the immaturity, quarrels, etc.? Stop participating in them. STOP ACKNOWLEDGING THEM. People have disagreements. We have arguments, fights, etc. We also have laughs. We unite. We bond. You who are reading this right now, you once Believed. Maybe you still do...

Maybe this is all being blown out of proportion. As nice as it is to know there are people who are trying to resolve the issues, maybe threads like this are only feeding the fire. Who is to say for sure? One thing I do know is that this website will endure whatever issues we are dealing with right now.

e: j/w... What exactly happens once a member hits 500 posts that makes him/her worthy of discussing the politics of this place? I realize I'm relatively new here, but I have been here long enough to know how things work more or less. I have been here long enough to have formed educated opinions on many of the members here. I've seen people come and go, I've seen good times and bad. I have direct experience in dealing with many of the problems the Mods here deal with. I don't see why posts have anything to do with input. Just my two cents on that front.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:42 am
bigstrads wrote:
migya wrote:Bigs, this place, to me, is still a good place to spend time, but there is some division between some posters here, but all of it is civil, as far as I've seen.

Civil?..............I dont think it is.

Yes there wasnt really any obvious slanging going on and silly name calling but its the same old crap that makes people like me think "Ohh for f*cks sake, how pathetic, I cant be bothered"

32 is the MASTER of the under-handed, back handed insults............ie: he will insults persons and groups without actually appearing to insult them..............then of course, he is the martyr and the one being picked on.

His and Colts battle with Martin and the continuing crap with you...........where they have obviously asked for you to be banned, as why else would Xbay go nuts about people asking for people to be banned? is why Ive lost my will to get involved over the last few months.

You said it well and I've been saying that for a couple of years now. Thing is everyone else is decent enough so he shouldn't be able to step out of line like he does and has.

D4rk 0ne makes a good point about just not talking about the bad things that are going on, though I do think that anything way out of line, like targetting another member, has to be dealt with

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:45 am
D4rk 0ne wrote:The world is full of change. This a fundamental fact, and to be honest it is probably exacerbated by the accessibility and anonymity of the internet. I think the best way to overcome this "situation" is fairly simple.

First of all, we need to stop talking about it. Every time someone brings up the state of this forum, the perception of how things are happening becomes more and more bleary. I don't think any of the "problems" that have occurred recently have much to do with the Warriors play -- honestly the team has been playing better recently so if there was any correlation we'd probably be in relatively good spirits right now, yet we are clearly not. No, the problems come from us, the members. This includes everyone, from "noobs" to "veterans"; Mods to Rookies; Bay Area residents and our friends across the world.

The next thing that people need to consider, however cliche it may be, is a quote from good old Ghandi: be the change you wish to see in the world. This applies here as well. You want to stop the immaturity, quarrels, etc.? Stop participating in them. STOP ACKNOWLEDGING THEM. People have disagreements. We have arguments, fights, etc. We also have laughs. We unite. We bond. You who are reading this right now, you once Believed. Maybe you still do...

Maybe this is all being blown out of proportion. As nice as it is to know there are people who are trying to resolve the issues, maybe threads like this are only feeding the fire. Who is to say for sure? One thing I do know is that this website will endure whatever issues we are dealing with right now.

e: j/w... What exactly happens once a member hits 500 posts that makes him/her worthy of discussing the politics of this place? I realize I'm relatively new here, but I have been here long enough to know how things work more or less. I have been here long enough to have formed educated opinions on many of the members here. I've seen people come and go, I've seen good times and bad. I have direct experience in dealing with many of the problems the Mods here deal with. I don't see why posts have anything to do with input. Just my two cents on that front.

All good points bud............and I agree to some extent about the whole "dont poke the sore wound and it wont hurt" standpoint............but heres the problem =

This has happened many times, so many periods of controversy, anger, flag burning, people burning..........then only way they were ever sorted were by them being out in the open and having people disuss and talk them out properly, like with all things in life.

The put away, dont look at, dont acknowledge way of dealing with things simply does not work..........as is evident by the numerous people who have left and dont post much anymore, because things arent being addressed and sorted out.

On the point of the post count thing...........funnily enough, I actually thought of you when I typed that, because I believe you are the best (in many ways) new member we have had in a very long time.............I only said because there are alot of new people here who simply are worth a damn.

However.............you have not been here long, you dont know the history of arguments and people, and as such if it came to discussing things, you wouldnt know what happend and how it was dealt with............not trying to insult or exclude great people like you but when it comes to these things, which are very sensitive and deep set, you need to know the full story to be able to comment on it.

Also, you may think you have a good grasp on most people here...........but that grasp could be the one youve figured out from the posts theyve made since youve been here............which could be entirely different to who they are/may have been before this awful period.

For instance, me, Ive always been a moaning sum bitch, I know that, you know that............but that wasnt always the case. Im a realist, and I spent many times here, making stat based threads to cheer people up and counter the negativity............but recently, all Ive posted is moaning, negative, screaming stuff, so you may have the impression of me.............which is true but only of the time youve been here............you werent here for when I spent all of last season staying up every single night here in England till 6am to watch every single game last year, cheering and screaming my team on that I have loved for the 16 years, with all my passion and commitment.

See what I mean? its not a slight against you, and to be honest if something like a meeting happened, I would actually want you to be involved because you seem like a fantastic fellow to have around and one who contributes great stuff.

*EDIT* - Ive just realised you joined in April 08, so longer than I assumed youd been here...............but you havnt been posting for that long have you? anyway, again, its not really about post count............its about the amount of time youve been here to see and understand the complexity and history behind many of these issues, like the looooooong history between 32 and Migya, did you know that Migya used to be a Mod here?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:53 am
D4rk 0ne wrote:The world is full of change. This a fundamental fact, and to be honest it is probably exacerbated by the accessibility and anonymity of the internet. I think the best way to overcome this "situation" is fairly simple.

This is a very good post. We tend to blow things out of proportion, but we always find a way out of those issues. Sometimes some members leave, but others will replace them. I'm confident this place will improve it's current state just by focusing on the topics we're discussing and forgetting about personal quarrels. That's the biggest problem we have right now.

D4rk 0ne wrote:e: j/w... What exactly happens once a member hits 500 posts that makes him/her worthy of discussing the politics of this place? I realize I'm relatively new here, but I have been here long enough to know how things work more or less. I have been here long enough to have formed educated opinions on many of the members here. I've seen people come and go, I've seen good times and bad. I have direct experience in dealing with many of the problems the Mods here deal with. I don't see why posts have anything to do with input. Just my two cents on that front.

Well, I don't see how it's related to the number of posts. It's a logical consequence of old members having more knowledge about the whole situation, but it doesn't mean new members can't chime in, and it's not related to the amount of posts anybody has.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:07 am
I can say that I am not a disillusioned fan, well not completely anyway. I understand that it is all a process. We went into this season like a baseball team if they went with the third baseman pitching and the catcher playing center field. Ridiculous.
As much as I don't like Nelson's coaching at this point, a lot of what happened before the season, was out of his control. Nonetheless, the young team needed much more involved coaching and it seemed weren't getting it until sometime in December. It's frustrating for us fans because we had two years where we had a glimpse of what it's like to route for a "playoff" team. Then bonehead front office moves and a stupid moped took it all away. I had to stop focusing on their bad moves (that I couldn't control anyway) if I wanted keep being a fan. From a more removed standpoint, I'm amused (and still infuriated) by the clowns running this organization. It will be interesting to see how the soap opera plays out. I'm encouraged by the fact that we have a lot of talent, most of it very young, and that we are starting to play as a team and show some heart.

Look, I don't know the history of this place before the spring of 08. I can gather that old resentments are playing out. I usually ignore people if they are just spewing negativity. I guess I reached a point where I was tired of reading about how awful this place is.
I'm here everyday, so I guess I'm awful.

32, if you have an issue with me, let's discuss. If not, fine.
I will ask that you quit lumping everyone on this board into the homer bin and talking about what a quality poster you are. As has been said before, be the change you want to see.

With less bickering and maybe some consequences for infractions this place will be right back in shape. One thing I thought of is to give people warnings for posting duplicate thread topics. I don't know how that would look because sometimes people honestly make a mistake, and sometimes people are just being lazy. Maybe, if they get a certain number of warnings for this they can be banned or suspended. It's not too much to ask people to read the thread titles on the first page to see if there is already one for the topic they want talk about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:01 am
I didnt realize that 32 was the most hated man on this board all of a sudden. Where have i been?

Mig, how do u think this place if civil? Maybe Civil War, not civik.

Oh and Bigs, I think limiting new members is extremely harsh, don't you? There have been some new editions this last month to the board that are already awesome contributers and working for Rookie of the Year Honors. Shazam Guy and D4rk One to name a couple.

Jack, I agree. IF anyone has any riff with someone else, and they know they can't resolve it, then just ignore them. No point bickering back and forth. This statement coming mu mouth just now is getting old, but its advise people dont follow and can save the post from reading hundreds of posts just yapping at one another with thier personal vendettas.

Now constructive criticizm is fine, and by all means, thats the main function of a board right, but theres a fine line of that and name calling, and a bunch of people have been wearing blindfolds
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:13 pm
Why is everyone so worried about other people? If you don't like someone don't talk to them...it's pretty simple.

Oh and, I'm better than all of you just by default anyway :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:45 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:Why is everyone so worried about other people? If you don't like someone don't talk to them...it's pretty simple.

Sounds easy... but believe me, it ain't that easy. Not when there's personal disdain between members.

Why it reaches that level is a different story, and one I'm not sure about, tho.

Captain_Jack wrote:Oh and, I'm better than all of you just by default anyway :mrgreen:

That goes without saying, Capt. :wink:
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:30 pm
TMC wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:Why is everyone so worried about other people? If you don't like someone don't talk to them...it's pretty simple.

Sounds easy... but believe me, it ain't that easy. Not when there's personal disdain between members.

Why it reaches that level is a different story, and one I'm not sure about, tho.

Captain_Jack wrote:Oh and, I'm better than all of you just by default anyway :mrgreen:

That goes without saying, Capt. :wink:

Oh I know it's not easy to walk away, I suck at it. However if you're going to stick around and get drawn into those conversations just don't complain about it later, you chose to get into that argument.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:57 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Oh and Bigs, I think limiting new members is extremely harsh, don't you? There have been some new editions this last month to the board that are already awesome contributers and working for Rookie of the Year Honors. Shazam Guy and D4rk One to name a couple

Err, what?................dont mean to start something here, and Im not but this is a perfect example of why arguments and personal stuff happens here.

"Limiting new members"..........you got from me saying if we had a kind of meeting, it should be between those who have been here for some time, and hence would know people more and know the history behind certain issues that have happend here.

Now I hate to be mis-quoted and mis-understood, especially when Ive gone to such lengths to explain why I would say someone would need 500 posts to participate in a discussion regarding this boards history and future.

But you see what I mean? if you either didnt read what I wrote properly, or you actually got "Bigs is limiting new members" from what I said..............then if that was regarding something else, or if I even cared, then I could have got really pissed off at your incinuation and started an agrument.

This is largely what happens here, someone says something............sometimes explaining what they mean, sometimes not..............and then some dude just comes in and comments on it without understanding what was being said.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:04 pm

i think it's the fact that some people make it difficult to be ignored. If you go into a certain forum it's flooded with pointless topics by pointless posters. So it makes it difficult to filter out the crap, and no jack you are not better than me, though i am a better fan than jackattack
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:11 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:

i think it's the fact that some people make it difficult to be ignored. If you go into a certain forum it's flooded with pointless topics by pointless posters. So it makes it difficult to filter out the crap, and no jack you are not better than me, though i am a better fan than jackattack

Urrgghh! well................I won MVP and Fan of the Year last year!!!..............so because I won some awards, that means Im the best and everyone should treat me like the lord of the board.

Also, everything I say should always be considered correct and irrefutable, if you even dare to question the word of your lord then you will subject to as many back-handed insults as I can through at you.

Please feel free to praise me at all possible moments (because if you dont I will feel dead inside) and I at any time can call all of you "homers" and "terrible fans" just because I am so freakin awesome all the time.

Disclaimer: This hissy fit/dramatization was brought to you by the self centered, ego-maniacal, martyrs here at 32 Productions Inc.
Next

Return to Off-Topic Forum