The All MMA Things Thread

Talk about any other sports here.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3064
» Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:44 pm
WarriorJoe wrote:
migya wrote:Brock Lesnar just beat Randy Couture to become the new Heavy Weight champion at UFC 91. Hope that arrogant prik gets smashed real soon


agreed, he souldnt of even got a title shot. Noguera or Mir will take the title back. Whats up with bringing Sable to the fight?


Good think is now he'll be facing all the top guys, and we'll see if he is the best. That guy is an animal though
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 21729
» Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:03 am
In a few hours GSP will go against BJ Penn in what has been called the greatest anticipated fight ever. Reckon St. Pierre will win but it should be a great fight.

Haven't posted in this thread in a while and really should be updating it with every UFC event. At last UFC (UFC 93), Dan Henderson defeated Rich Franklin by split decision. In a pretty even fight, as expected, as both fighters are elite alltime.

Shogun vs Coleman was lackluster and Shogun looks average now, as he couldn't even beat the old Coleman convincingly.


UFC 94 in a few hours

All Star
Posts: 1469
» Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:01 pm
Penn lost :( which is a blessing in disguise. he should stay at 155lb.

Machida won :) by knockout. :shock: i love everything about him.

Diaz lost :( i like the diaz brothers, but neither are going to be great. tough as hell but too one dimensional.

there were other fights but these are the one i've seen/care about.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 21729
» Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:20 am
fine wrote:Penn lost :( which is a blessing in disguise. he should stay at 155lb.

Machida won :) by knockout. :shock: i love everything about him.

Diaz lost :( i like the diaz brothers, but neither are going to be great. tough as hell but too one dimensional.

there were other fights but these are the one i've seen/care about.



Haven't seen this UFC event (never see them live, only about a week later after I've downloaded them) but have read fight by fight reviews and seen some parts of some of the fights on YouTube.

St. Pierre dominated Penn, ground and pounding him at will. He is much bigger and stronger and his ground game has improved so much over the last four years and he was already pretty good then. BJ Penn could not continue after the fourth round due to cuts to his face.

GSP should take on Anderson Silva after defending his title against Thiago Alves, if he wins that fight that is. Penn has to take on Florian and that should be a great fight.

Machida just continues to run through everyone he goes against and this time he gave Thiago Silva his first loss. Machida, who is undefeated, should definately be given a title shot within six months and I n't know who will figure out how to fight him with his elusive style that is crisp standing up and on the ground
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1396
» Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:16 am
great night of fights last night.

GSP :D

lyoto has been one of my favorite fighters for about half a decade. not surprised he destroyed thiago. im a big evans fan but lyoto is the future light heavy weight champion.

im also pissed off diaz lost.... i thought he won the fight....

watch out for the jones kid. he was incredibly impressive.

all i have to say is... GSP vs Anderson Silva

All Star
Posts: 1469
» Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:32 am
GSP thinks he weighed in around 187lbs once he entered the ring, while Penn was probably still at 168lbs. Penn had zero chance.

If GSP is to face Alves, Alves has weighed in at 199lbs by the time of the fight, which is huge for a welterweight. That's going to make for a pretty cool match.

Then if GSP does win, and goes on to face Silva, I hope it's at a catchweight. If GSP wants to go all the way up to middleweight, that's fine, but i think's it's only fair to meet in between. Silva will already have 4 inches on him, and will no matter what will have 10-15 lbs on him too. a welterweight going up to fight a guy who can comfortably fight at light heavyweight seems too predictable. level it out by forcing silva to cut 7 extra pounds, and leave the belts out of it. this should just be for entertainment and bragging rights.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3242
» Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:20 pm
dominant performance by GSP. many are calling him GOAT now


anyone catch the Fedor v Arlovski fight? His chin has always been a bit suspect. Fedor consolidated that thought

All Star
Posts: 3310
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:19 am
Penn got owned and needs to stay at his own weight class. his fight against GSP just made a stronger case for why he needs to retire soon.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3242
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:57 am
E-Man wrote:Penn got owned and needs to stay at his own weight class. his fight against GSP just made a stronger case for why he needs to retire soon.


2 conflicting statements there. I agree, he needs to stay in his weight class but no way retire. He's still one of the very best. It's just GSP is simply better
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3242
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:00 pm
nighty night

Image

Image
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 21729
» Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:39 pm
Quazza wrote:
E-Man wrote:Penn got owned and needs to stay at his own weight class. his fight against GSP just made a stronger case for why he needs to retire soon.


2 conflicting statements there. I agree, he needs to stay in his weight class but no way retire. He's still one of the very best. It's just GSP is simply better



Yea, BJ Penn has a great future at Lightweight, he just has to stay there.

I think St. Pierre can challenge Silva at middleweight, as he hiself walks around at over 190 pounds, shouldn't be any more than ten pounds less than Silva walks around at
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 21729
» Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:24 am
Very interesting video and claims against Georges Saint Pierre by BJ Penn and many of GSP's former opponents.

http://theufcresults.com/2009/02/19/bj- ... -greasing/


Basically, St. Pierre got caught getting a greasing agent (including vaseline) applied to his shoulders and back. This makes him more slippery and so his opponents can't take him down so easily and can't apply submission holds as easily either. This is a huge advantage as being slippery makes it so much harder for opponents to grapple with you.

So many high profile opponents say that St. Pierre felt greasy in their fights with him. Many are long time wrestlers and so they know the difference between sweat and grease like substance.

So Georges St. Pierre is basically a cheat, at least I see him that way. He is still a great fighter but doing what he did, really was no need for it and now leaves a question mark as to how good he would have been without the vaseline rubbed on him.

Interesting to see what happens with this issue
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 21729
» Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:36 am
Bit late, but the last UFC event, UFC 97, last week saw Chuck Liddell likely fight his last fight. He suffered his second straight TKO and looks gone from his glory days where he knocked every opponent out. He is 39 years old and perhaps the greatest MMA star ever so far
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3242
» Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:12 am
migya wrote:Very interesting video and claims against Georges Saint Pierre by BJ Penn and many of GSP's former opponents.

http://theufcresults.com/2009/02/19/bj- ... -greasing/


Basically, St. Pierre got caught getting a greasing agent (including vaseline) applied to his shoulders and back. This makes him more slippery and so his opponents can't take him down so easily and can't apply submission holds as easily either. This is a huge advantage as being slippery makes it so much harder for opponents to grapple with you.

So many high profile opponents say that St. Pierre felt greasy in their fights with him. Many are long time wrestlers and so they know the difference between sweat and grease like substance.

So Georges St. Pierre is basically a cheat, at least I see him that way. He is still a great fighter but doing what he did, really was no need for it and now leaves a question mark as to how good he would have been without the vaseline rubbed on him.

Interesting to see what happens with this issue



So wait, all the dudes he whipped, are saying he's cheating? Tall Poppy Syndrome?
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 21729
» Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:22 am
Quazza wrote:
migya wrote:Very interesting video and claims against Georges Saint Pierre by BJ Penn and many of GSP's former opponents.

http://theufcresults.com/2009/02/19/bj- ... -greasing/


Basically, St. Pierre got caught getting a greasing agent (including vaseline) applied to his shoulders and back. This makes him more slippery and so his opponents can't take him down so easily and can't apply submission holds as easily either. This is a huge advantage as being slippery makes it so much harder for opponents to grapple with you.

So many high profile opponents say that St. Pierre felt greasy in their fights with him. Many are long time wrestlers and so they know the difference between sweat and grease like substance.

So Georges St. Pierre is basically a cheat, at least I see him that way. He is still a great fighter but doing what he did, really was no need for it and now leaves a question mark as to how good he would have been without the vaseline rubbed on him.

Interesting to see what happens with this issue



So wait, all the dudes he whipped, are saying he's cheating? Tall Poppy Syndrome?



A few of the guys St. Pierre has beaten said that he felt slippery or Greasey straight after they fought him, not now that Penn has come out and said it. It is interesting because they can't be imagining it, it is not just a coinicidence. I reckon St. Pierre is a great fighter and nice guy, but he has been doing this probably since the start to get an advantage, an illegal one. Don't think he wil do it again, as he has been spoken to by high standing members of athletic commissions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests